What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortal Kombat (1 Viewer)

Really or are you being sarcastic? Was going to watch it but reviews are not terrific.

Really or are you being sarcastic? Was going to watch it but reviews are not terrific.
The snobs who loved the first one are gonna hate it. This one has more subtle to the game references with new characters introduced. My buddy who is a big fan of the overall story loved it though

I can’t figure out which responses are genuine and which are sarcasm.
Lol I watched the first 40 minutes last night before I fell asleep. The scene where sub zero iced the guy’s arms and snapped them off was cool. Not sure I’ll finish though. 

I only ever played the original game so I just know raiden, sub zero, scorpion and maybe a few others. So I can’t really follow along with all these randos in the movie. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I watched the first 40 minutes last night before I fell asleep. The scene where sub zero iced the guy’s arms and snapped them off was cool. Not sure I’ll finish though. 

I only ever played the original game so I just know raiden, sub zero, scorpion and maybe a few others. So I can’t really follow along with all these randos in the movie. 
I’m far from a movie snob - I’ve watched Godzilla v Kong, Hobbes v Shaw, and the 4 hour Justice League movie (twice) in the last month but this looks pretty terrible.

I don’t know the game at all so that probably doesn’t help.

This is about where I got to, and also the bolded was the only thing worthwhile up to that point.  

I guess for people that really love the game and geek about about the fighter's back story and stuff this might be good.  For button mashers like I was that just wanted to get to the damn fighting between cool looking characters, this is a bit dull.  

This is about where I got to, and also the bolded was the only thing worthwhile up to that point.  

I guess for people that really love the game and geek about about the fighter's back story and stuff this might me good.  For button mashers like I was that just wanted to get to the damn fighting between cool looking characters, this is a bit dull.  
Yea maybe the back half has all the fighting. The acting between the guy who had his arms ripped off and the boring boxer guy was alarmingly bad.  

There were parts that were really good and parts that were just terrible.

SPOILER ALERT

The biggest misstep, to me, was the fact that the entire movie is premised on Mortal Kombat, and there was no Mortal Kombat.

(I guess the spoiler tags don’t work any more?)

SPOILER ALERT

The biggest misstep, to me, was the fact that the entire movie is premised on Mortal Kombat, and there was no Mortal Kombat.

Totally agree. 

SPOILER ALERT

Wait they never do the tournament????

Wait they never do the tournament????
If by tournament you mean a single elimination fight to the death between all kinds of awesome opponents with cool fighting moves and finishes similar to the video game with the same name then no, no they do not. 

Why would you expect that? 

If by tournament you mean a single elimination fight to the death between all kinds of awesome opponents with cool fighting moves and finishes similar to the video game with the same name then no, no they do not. 

:lmao:  I have an hour left and not sure I’m gonna be able to do it. That’s the only thing I wanted to see. 

The next one has Johnny Cage and I hope the dude with the sword arms. That is the guy I always picked. 

This was the only reason that I would have watched it. I figured with it being rated R and current movies love for shock and gore that they should have just focused on cool fighting scenes that end with different finishing moves, minimal back story. Who cares who lives or dies? It's not like these types of movies need to be a trilogy. 

Side note: a fav teen moment of mine is hoarding loads of quarters through out the week and playing the Mortal Kombat arcade with a buddy at the 7-11 on the weekends. I always used Sub-Zero and I remember the 1st time that I performed his finishing move where he ripped the persons head and spine out of their body. Imagine our shock as we didn't even know what the finishing moves were at that time. Lol. Something similar happened when they put in the Killer Instinct machine and my Fulgore performed my first Ultra Combo. Those were the days. 

Edit: pardon my not picking up on the obvious sarcasm. I'm tired and not feeling well. 

I didn't have an issue with them not having the tournament. That was kind of the point, they were trying to kill off all the earth realm champions. That said, there was a ton of one on one battles, including one that was actually fought on a bridge like in the game. They even threw in a bunch of well known phrases.

I enjoyed it and it was good enough to watch the next one, especially if it's free again. The R rating served it well.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Easy guys. They have at a minimum 3 movies planned. Subzero’s actor has been signed to 5 films. 

So, no. They weren’t going to have the final tournament in this movie. 

SPOILER ALERT

This - I kept waiting for the Mortal Kombat and then towards the end it just became an assassination movie.  Me thinks they are setting up a sequel. 

SPOILER ALERT

Totally agree. I kept waiting for the tournament to start - which I actually think the original movie* set up pretty well - and then there wasn't any. I also then got a little frustrated with how easy Goro went down. 

I did read an article though that the second movie will have the tournament (with the third movie then being about the aftermath) so I guess that makes sense. I was genuinely enjoying this one though and was somewhat surprised that the movie ended with no tournament. I imagine the writers left out lots of characters so that there are some around for the tournament (bit of a bummer though that it appears that Sub-Zero won't be returning).

*Those of you making fun of the original must have never seen the sequel Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. The original was horribly awesome. The sequel was the horribly horrible one.

Easy guys. They have at a minimum 3 movies planned. Subzero’s actor has been signed to 5 films. 

So, no. They weren’t going to have the final tournament in this movie. 
Huh okay then. Be interesting to see how he's in the second movie.

:lmao:  I have an hour left and not sure I’m gonna be able to do it. That’s the only thing I wanted to see. 
It's it a cinematic masterpiece? Absolutely not. But I'd finish the hour. They kind of set it up like a tournament and the last fights are pretty good. 

Users who are viewing this thread