What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your plans for today & why do they include Home Depot? (1 Viewer)

Will your Saturday include a stop at Home Depot?

• definitely

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • probably

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • no

Votes: 60 75.0%

• Total voters
Hit up HD yesterday.   HD and Lowe’s seem identical to me.  I go to HD out of habit.   I can’t imagine not having house projects going on.  

I've had good success with Lowes in recent years.  A HD is just around the corner from Lowes, but I've developed a liking for the latter.  We have a Menards superstore not far in a different direction ...but it's so damn big it's a pain to get around.  The thing is two floors with a cart-escalator to get up and down.  I hate standing on that with my cart.

We do have a couple local Ace stores, and they're fantastic.  For smaller purchases or when I need advice ...Ace is the place.
For all my smaller needs I always go to ACE as I can get in and out in under 5 minutes.  Staff is very friendly and knows where everything is. I like Menards but it is 15-30 minutes no matter what I am getting.  HD the same.

Will hit up HD or the local pine straw place today as my main projects today are cleaning out the back half of the backyard and drinking.

Ace has a smart enough business design - they are partnered with "designer brands" like Big Green Egg and Yeti. I find myself at Ace pretty frequently because of how much I use the smoker.

But I wasn't in a hardware store yesterday. Maybe today - I know a trip to Sam's Club is in order, so we'll be in the area and we are currently planning out BIG THINGS for our new backyard.

Ace has a smart enough business design - they are partnered with "designer brands" like Big Green Egg and Yeti. I find myself at Ace pretty frequently because of how much I use the smoker.

But I wasn't in a hardware store yesterday. Maybe today - I know a trip to Sam's Club is in order, so we'll be in the area and we are currently planning out BIG THINGS for our new backyard.
I like Ace and there is one 5 minutes from me.   It is convenient and they really do seem to try to help with finding parts, tools, materials for projects.   They have a great selection of Stihl equipment and carry Carhart clothing.   Pricier brands than similar products but worth the money since they are well made.  

I was in Ace on Saturday.    I only missed Lowe’s.  There is always next weekend.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I repurposed a shop light in the garage with LEDs. I removed the ballasts and hardwired the LEDs. It's very red giant-like in there now.
This needs it's own thread.  What in the actual #### is going on with LED lighting brightness.  What in the hell do you look for on the box to manage this?  When I went to return my #### I apologized as it was the second return, the lady was like "No, LED fixtures are the most commonly returned item in the store".  

So uh, ok.  Maybe look into better consumer choices then?  I'm at a loss.

culdeus said:
This needs it's own thread.  What in the actual #### is going on with LED lighting brightness.  What in the hell do you look for on the box to manage this?  When I went to return my #### I apologized as it was the second return, the lady was like "No, LED fixtures are the most commonly returned item in the store".  

Lumens.  Basically an old 40W is equivalent in brightness to 400 lumens.  The LEDs get even brighter though once you hit 75 and 100 W.  

Honestly, if you replacing shop lights just buy the ones at Costco for $18 and either just plug them in or wire them in at the same spacing and location.

Osaurus said:
I repurposed a shop light in the garage with LEDs. I removed the ballasts and hardwired the LEDs. It's very red giant-like in there now.
Same here.  Also had them in the Master walk in closet. Love it.Seemed like I always had a fluorescent bulb or ballast to change.  Very much enjoying not dealing with that.

Our local Ace went under and the owner of it now works at Home Depot. I really miss that store but he seems much happier now. Damn near skips down the aisle offering help.

culdeus said:

I have a box to return to home depot on our kitchen counter of LED lights that my wife was not happy with. She did not like the color or the brightness. :unsure:

Big fan of Ace if I'm just getting some particular fasteners or trying to be creative about fixing something.  If I know what I'm looking for, I'm going to Lowes.  

Big fan of Ace if I'm just getting some particular fasteners or trying to be creative about fixing something.  If I know what I'm looking for, I'm going to Lowes.  
My local Ace is no bueno. I’ve tried so many times to stop there and get something I needed for a repair only to continue on to Lowe’s or HD. I just don’t bother ever going there now. 

Lumens.  Basically an old 40W is equivalent in brightness to 400 lumens.  The LEDs get even brighter though once you hit 75 and 100 W.  

Honestly, if you replacing shop lights just buy the ones at Costco for $18 and either just plug them in or wire them in at the same spacing and location.
The LED lighting I have purchased to replace old recessed lighting has a color temperature rating.  They start off around 3000k which is a slightly yellow light and go up to 5000k which is the bright white.  On some of the lighting, the color rating can be selected before installation.   

Nope not today, I have a Lowes less than a mile from me. I was there twice this week--bought a new Microwave and then had to go back and get the items for my daughter's science lab she needs to do.  

I have been at HD several times this last few weeks--bought a new fridge and a new range. Wife has the bug to renovate, so next comes counter tops and I want to change the overhead lighting in my kitchen

Today we went to the newly opened Scheels. For those of you that don't have one of these, it is basically Bass Pro/Cabellas on steroids. Two story sporting good store that has a full size ferris wheel in the middle of the place. If they don't have it, the sport doesn't exist, I just worry that they built it so close to the Bass Pro that neither of them are going to flourish. 
I just ordered online from Scheels.  Never heard of them till I found some reels on sale that I wanted.  Massive selection online and good prices.  

I order from the app and have it delivered because I'm a FBG.
Beware ordering online from Lowes - Took them 3 weeks to get me a box of screws one time during early COVID.  I gave up after a week and went to the store (Home Depot) to get them.  Called Lowes and they said, "Sorry - your order is already in process.  We can't cancel it."  But then also said, "It's likely going to be another 6-10 days until they ship."  Not sure how you can't cancel something that you won't be able to put in a box for another week...

yep.  Our Ace is as close as the local hardware we had when I grew up.  The only thing missing are the wood floors.

went a couple of weeks ago to get a "yet to be defined sized set screw" ...I had my towel holder ring with me.  Guy just took a look at it, walked over to the nut/bolt/screw section and nailed the size first time ...then gave me the matching allen wrench. 

total cost - 11 cents.   

Today:  propane tank, birdseed, some herbs to go in my new raised garden beds that arrive tomorrow.  @mr. furley, don't know if you took care of your raised garden bed needs, but I ended up ordering a couple of these from Amazon since the local selection sucked.  Well-reviewed, inexpensive, narrow (which I needed), have a shelf on bottom that seems useful.  Figure I'll stain them.

Today:  propane tank, birdseed, some herbs to go in my new raised garden beds that arrive tomorrow.  @mr. furley, don't know if you took care of your raised garden bed needs, but I ended up ordering a couple of these from Amazon since the local selection sucked.  Well-reviewed, inexpensive, narrow (which I needed), have a shelf on bottom that seems useful.  Figure I'll stain them.
:thumbup:  we did buy some raised beds last weekend

but we spent a lot more than the Amazon price :hot:  knew i should have waited and checked there instead of impulse buying on the spot.

my mission this weekend is to fill them with dirt and throw some fruit plants in there. because it has been relatively cold/cool here for the last month, nobody has plants out that aren't arbor vitae, etc. 

supposed to be warm tomorrow so hopeful the local nurseries are rolling out their inventory today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today: Going to pickup 

Husky Ready-to-Assemble 22-Gauge Steel Garage Gear Cabinet in Black (36 in. W x 72 in. H x 24 in. D)

Always scared of ready to assemble.  Pray for me.

Also will get - Tomato cages

Looking at - containers to house trash/recycling that can be closed to prevent coon/possums from getting at them. 

I need to get a board to put in a storage shed, but I am not made of money.  

Also looking at storage containers.

Looking at husky 48 inch wheeled work bench with drawers to match the cabinet.  

I used to prefer my local Lowes to our Home Depot, but in the last couple of years, Lowes seems to have really gone downhill.  I don't know if it's that they just didn't handle the pandemic well or if it was slowly happening anyway, but the customer service (which was the main thing I preferred at Lowes) is nothing like it was before, while it feels like HD's has improved.

This was my experience at Lowes the last time I went, about a month ago.  I just needed some bags of mulch, so drove into the area of the parking lot that had the pallets of them outside so I could see what they had.  Saw a couple choices I was interested in, but they didn't have prices posted.  So I drove over to find a parking spot and go inside, but there was another car trying to get into the area I was driving out of.  I pulled over to give them room, they gave me a wave and went by, and as I then pulled out, I overheard two Lowes staff members talking as they walked towards the mulch with one saying, "What's with all the a holes driving the wrong way?" while she glanced my way.  Guess she didn't see I had my window down, though.  I called out to her, "I'm sorry?" and she looked surprised and said, "Oh no, you're good."

I felt I must have missed some signage, and sure enough, there was a "Mulch Entrance" sign near where I was exiting that area.  The problem was, it only faced out and there was no sign at the other end of the parking lot (I checked to be sure) indicating it was an exit only there.  Yeah, that might be why, lady.  Whatever.  Maybe I misheard the person anyway.

I went in to the garden section and there was a woman at the register on her cell phone.  She took her time looking up and I asked her if she could tell me the prices for two of the products out in the parking lot.  She looked confused and said there were a lot of different bags out there.  I said I could tell her the names if she could look them up.  She said there was no way to do that.  I asked her how I would even purchase them if she couldn't bring them up and she said, well, people bring them in here to ring up.  I asked what was the point of having them out there if I had to bring them in to purchase them.  That was when I gave up and decided it wasn't worth my time to even complain.

Drove the extra couple of miles to HD, drove by the mulch with clearly labeled prices, went in and told the cashier which ones I wanted, she brought them up on her screen in 2 seconds and I paid, went and loaded up, and was out of there in a fraction of the time I spent at Lowes.

Other instances were smaller annoyances that just happened over time - but this was the one that finally made me realize I should always just try HD first.

Little bit a dilemma here....

About 8 weeks ago or so, I broke the rope handle on my gas mower.  Figured that was a sign to buy an electric mower with a rechargeable battery - and early Father's Day gift to myself.  Started the due diligence, went to HD first, didn't really like their selection (nor their pricing) and had read good things about the Lowes brand eMowers.  

Logged into my Chase Sapphire account and used rewards points for $100 GC to Lowes to apply towards a new eMower.

And then my friends, a miracle occurred in Beaverton, Oregon.  I - General Maladroit Malaise - on June, 4th, 2022 in the year of our lord repaired the rope starter on my old gas mower.  The grass was so long, that I just figured I'd give YouTube and some prayer a try and set out to fix my old gas Honda mower.  IT WORKED!!!!  So, I've been burning petrol and cutting my lawn ever since and figured I'd just punt the big purchase of a new eMower until my old gas girl really died.

So, now I have $100 to spend at Lowes.  Only problem is, I'm not very manly and don't have any home projects.  I also don't  NEED anything.  I do want to replace the toilet seat in the kids' bathroom, which they have destroyed, so that's $35ish.  Now what?  Buy some screws or lug nuts?  

I used to prefer my local Lowes to our Home Depot, but in the last couple of years, Lowes seems to have really gone downhill.  I don't know if it's that they just didn't handle the pandemic well or if it was slowly happening anyway, but the customer service (which was the main thing I preferred at Lowes) is nothing like it was before, while it feels like HD's has improved.

This was my experience at Lowes the last time I went, about a month ago.  I just needed some bags of mulch, so drove into the area of the parking lot that had the pallets of them outside so I could see what they had.  Saw a couple choices I was interested in, but they didn't have prices posted.  So I drove over to find a parking spot and go inside, but there was another car trying to get into the area I was driving out of.  I pulled over to give them room, they gave me a wave and went by, and as I then pulled out, I overheard two Lowes staff members talking as they walked towards the mulch with one saying, "What's with all the a holes driving the wrong way?" while she glanced my way.  Guess she didn't see I had my window down, though.  I called out to her, "I'm sorry?" and she looked surprised and said, "Oh no, you're good."

I felt I must have missed some signage, and sure enough, there was a "Mulch Entrance" sign near where I was exiting that area.  The problem was, it only faced out and there was no sign at the other end of the parking lot (I checked to be sure) indicating it was an exit only there.  Yeah, that might be why, lady.  Whatever.  Maybe I misheard the person anyway.

I went in to the garden section and there was a woman at the register on her cell phone.  She took her time looking up and I asked her if she could tell me the prices for two of the products out in the parking lot.  She looked confused and said there were a lot of different bags out there.  I said I could tell her the names if she could look them up.  She said there was no way to do that.  I asked her how I would even purchase them if she couldn't bring them up and she said, well, people bring them in here to ring up.  I asked what was the point of having them out there if I had to bring them in to purchase them.  That was when I gave up and decided it wasn't worth my time to even complain.

Drove the extra couple of miles to HD, drove by the mulch with clearly labeled prices, went in and told the cashier which ones I wanted, she brought them up on her screen in 2 seconds and I paid, went and loaded up, and was out of there in a fraction of the time I spent at Lowes.

Other instances were smaller annoyances that just happened over time - but this was the one that finally made me realize I should always just try HD first.
My loews - I walked into the garden area,   asked for black mulch - she brought up 3 pictures on her screen, asked which I wanted.

I then drove through the mulch maze and had 2 guys load them into my truck

It was magical

My loews - I walked into the garden area,   asked for black mulch - she brought up 3 pictures on her screen, asked which I wanted.

I then drove through the mulch maze and had 2 guys load them into my truck

It was magical
That was what made it even more frustrating.  I knew she could do it.  She either didn't know how or just didn't want to. I might have pressed the matter if I weren't already done with them by then.

So, now I have $100 to spend at Lowes.  Only problem is, I'm not very manly and don't have any home projects.  I also don't  NEED anything.  I do want to replace the toilet seat in the kids' bathroom, which they have destroyed, so that's $35ish.  Now what?  Buy some screws or lug nuts?  
Damn, I know you're a FBG, but what kind of seat are you looking at?  Gold-plated or something?

We need a new seat in our kids' bathroom, too, and I figured those things are like $10.  :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread