What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The price of embracing right wing media (1 Viewer)

And nobody here has countered the original point of this thread: these folks believe the election was stolen. They’re not getting that from the mainstream media. If they listened to the MSM they would know that Trump’s claims are bogus. But they’re not listening, they don’t trust it. These are the consequences of distrusting the MSM. It’s a catastrophe. 
Because everybody knows that the MSM wouldn’t report it the same way if the roles were reversed, they would act like the world was ending again just like they did on election night 2016.  And I’m no fan of Trump.

See this is great, and I think all that most who are arguing about news sources would want from the majority of people.    Trouble is people seem to post and argue like CNN and Fox are the only places to get info from, and to avoid those you have to go to even worse places.  

IMO the problem isn't that the people who cry about MSM the most have given up and gone down the path bolded above, they get the "real" truth from SM and stuff like OAN.  
Yeah, the low information voter is a problem. And people have fled the MSM for social media and Fox and OAN. That's a difficult thing, and it directly affects us as citizens, especially with something like COVID, which requires a public and communitarian response rather than an atomized one where everybody does their own thing.

What I would really say to tim is at what price does the mainstream media continue to enshrine its biases for all to see? I suppose that's the main rub. I don't blame people for thinking the news is full of it, but watching right-wing media is certainly not the answer unless one wishes to remain fact-free. I personally do what Ivan said he does upthread. I grit my teeth and get facts from the mainstream media while turning elsewhere for analysis and narrative.

What I would really say to tim is at what price does the mainstream media continue to enshrine its biases for all to see? 
Let’s agree that the mainstream media could be much better than it is. We will disagree on the extent of this, and how deliberate it is, but we can agree that there is a problem here. 

So the answer to your question, IMO, is that the media’s errors have contributed to a majority of conservatives rejecting the media. It’s not the only contributor. There is decades of right wing talk radio telling folks not to trust the media. There is Donald Trump going one step further and telling malicious lies while claiming the media is lying. And then there are the people themselves- ultimately we all are responsible for what we choose to read and watch. But I agree that the media does have a part to play in this sad crisis; they are not without fault. 

The price therefore is the crisis we find ourselves in: the rejection of the MSM by nearly 25% of the entire country. And there’s got to be a way to fix it. I have no idea how. But if we don’t, I really believe we may be ####ed as a nation. 

Let's say we have an America which is happy and living in harmony.  Then one day the media decides racial inequality is the most important problem our nation has, and the only important stories are ones which prove this idea.

So every day the media rigorously searches out for stories and angles to advance this idea.  Every questionable shooting a white police offices does of a minority is blasted all over the news.  Anytime white person mistreats a person of color it receives similar coverage.  99 percent of police and white people are treating minorities well and sometimes are even heroic and do great things. But those stories are not newsworthy.

After years and years of this type of coverage, the country become very divided.  Police are not trusted by anyone.  Most people resists arrests and the public refuses to cooperate with police investigation.  White people are chastised and their are treated as inferior.  The country is divided between people of color and whites with heighten animosity and mistrust.   

And it is mostly due to the selective reporting of the media you love so much.  Rush Limbaugh and Fox News are not the cause.  It is this gross distortion of reality the media presents on a daily basis that is clear to anyone who has two eyes.  And here is a secret for you, a lot if what Rush and company said about the media is actually true.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say we have an America which is happy and living in harmony.  Then one day the media decides racial inequality is the most important problem our nation has, and the only important stories are ones which prove this idea.

So every day the media rigorously searches out for stories and angles to advance this idea.  Every questionable shooting a white police offices does of a minority is blasted all over the news.  Anytime white person mistreats a person of color it receives similar coverage.  99 percent of police and white people are treating minorities well and sometimes are even heroic and do great things. But those stories are not newsworthy.

After years and years of this type of coverage, the country because very divided.  Police are not trusted by anyone.  Most people resists arrests and the public refuses to cooperate with police investigation.  White people are chastised and their are treated as inferior.  The country is divided between people of color and whites with heighten animosity and mistrust.   

And it is mostly due to the selective reporting of the media you love so much.  Rush Limbaugh and Fox News are not the cause.  It is this gross distortion of reality the media presents on a daily basis that is clear to anyone who has two eyes.  And here is a secret for you, a lot if what Rush and company said about the media is actually true.  
Are you really suggesting that, prior to the news media manufacturing the issue of racial inequality, we were all “happy and living in harmony”? That there were no racial issues until the media made them all up? Do you honestly believe this? 

Are you really suggesting that, prior to the news media manufacturing the issue of racial inequality, we were all “happy and living in harmony”? That there were no racial issues until the media made them all up? Do you honestly believe this? 
I believe there was significantly more racial harmony 10-20 years ago.  I believe the animosity between the races has not been this high in over 50 years.  And I believe it is due to the gross distortion of reality the media presents. 

Let’s agree that the mainstream media could be much better than it is. We will disagree on the extent of this, and how deliberate it is, but we can agree that there is a problem here. 

So the answer to your question, IMO, is that the media’s errors have contributed to a majority of conservatives rejecting the media. It’s not the only contributor. There is decades of right wing talk radio telling folks not to trust the media. There is Donald Trump going one step further and telling malicious lies while claiming the media is lying. And then there are the people themselves- ultimately we all are responsible for what we choose to read and watch. But I agree that the media does have a part to play in this sad crisis; they are not without fault. 

The price therefore is the crisis we find ourselves in: the rejection of the MSM by nearly 25% of the entire country. And there’s got to be a way to fix it. I have no idea how. But if we don’t, I really believe we may be ####ed as a nation. 
How do you fix it?  Report the facts.  Don't insult our intelligence with things like "mostly peaceful" protests when you see chaos behind the reporter.  Don't show potential riot scenes after the Chauvin verdict, then blame the right because they were disappointed there weren't any.  Don't totally misreport the Columbus case.  People with an IQ above room temp tune it out fast.  

Report the facts - its not that damn hard.

Because the media has been caught lying.  Several times over and over and over.  What part of this can you not comprehend?

And here’s more: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/claims-of-ideological-bias-among-the-media-may-be-overblown-135617

Again you may disagree with this but it’s a legitimate point of view based on much evidence. 

My own POV is a little more nuanced. I think the majority of mainstream news journalists are liberal, and that this can show up in the way that they present the news, more unconsciously than anything else. 
Nonetheless I strongly believe most of them are extremely fair (sometimes overly so)  and can be trusted. When someone I really respect like @Ghost Rider says the media can’t be trusted, I honestly don’t know what the hell he’s talking about. I’m sure he and others will point to stories they got wrong, like the Ohio shooting or the way Brian Sicknick died, but how would we even know they got the story wrong if they didn’t bother to correct themselves? Has Breitbart ever corrected themselves? Or Hannity? That would honestly surprise me. And this is another reason the MSM can be trusted: because they self-correct. 
I know they self-correct the little things sometimes on their own, but the big things they likely only correct because they get caught and/or called out, and make the correction to try and save face.  Take that story with ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski earlier this month, who flat-out lied about Jacob Blake in his article, and then later changed it after getting called out.  Do I think ESPN would have changed it had they not been caught? No, I do not. Do I think Wojnarowski simply had his facts wrong and made an innocent mistake in the article? No, I do not. Not based off what I know about him.  And I think many little things like that add up for many and causes the distrust.  We can debate this one little example all day, but the larger picture is obviously the point here.  Distrust is rarely caused in life by one big thing, and in the case of the MSM, it's the many little things that add up and make it difficult to trust them. Of course, there are some in the industry who are honest and try to do their best and do the right thing, but it's the ones who do not who give the media as a whole the bad name that they have earned. 

How do you fix it?  Report the facts.  Don't insult our intelligence with things like "mostly peaceful" protests when you see chaos behind the reporter.  Don't show potential riot scenes after the Chauvin verdict, then blame the right because they were disappointed there weren't any.  Don't totally misreport the Columbus case.  People with an IQ above room temp tune it out fast.  

Perhaps...but to his point, they are fleeing the MSM because of getting the slant...but flocking to places that slant things even further...that get things wrong just as much, if not more.  Because reporting the facts is not what matters...confirmation bias is what people seem to be seeking out.

Is rejecting the NYT for Gateway Pundit a sign of a person seeking out just the facts?  Of going to a place not pushing an opinion with the story?

I believe there was significantly more racial harmony 10-20 years ago.  I believe the animosity between the races has not been this high in over 50 years.  And I believe it is due to the gross distortion of reality the media presents. 
I believe that race relations are more challenged now than in quite some time.   You and I have different hypotheses on why that is.

Like people have said - if we want facts, then the push should be toward Reuters, BBC, etc.. not sites that are rated even lower than Fox/CNN as far as reliable reporting and facts go.   I am not saying you specifically, I am just saying we can't have people say "just report facts" and like that post, and then go to OAN or the other miriad of sites we see linked around here that are worse than Fox.  That's the problem.  

I believe that race relations are more challenged now than in quite some time.   You and I have different hypotheses on why that is.
If you look at the polling, between 2002 and 2013 about 70% of both blacks and whites had a positive view of race relations.  That took a 30% plummet after 2013 where we remain today.  The tip of the iceberg were the Treyvon Martin and Michael Brown shootings.  These events were, putting this lightly, falsified by the media and generated much of the fuel that still exists today.  There has not been a spike in police shootings, if anything it is on the decline.  The reporting and commentary is over the top though, we laser beam focus on the issue.  That is why I point to the media.  Nothing has really changed but the coverage.

Yeah, I'm still stunned at each side here trying to slam their heads into a brick wall. tim wants to know why people aren't paying attention to mainstream media, people are giving him concrete and distinct examples why, and he's telling them they're basically wrong. This is the dumbest waste of everyone's time I've seen in my ten years of being on these boards. That's saying something.

Yeah, I'm still stunned at each side here trying to slam their heads into a brick wall. tim wants to know why people aren't paying attention to mainstream media, people are giving him concrete and distinct examples why, and he's telling them they're basically wrong. This is the dumbest waste of everyone's time I've seen in my ten years of being on these boards. That's saying something.
I will give you 7 to 1 odds there were dumber things.

Like people have said - if we want facts, then the push should be toward Reuters, BBC, etc.. not sites that are rated even lower than Fox/CNN as far as reliable reporting and facts go.   I am not saying you specifically, I am just saying we can't have people say "just report facts" and like that post, and then go to OAN or the other miriad of sites we see linked around here that are worse than Fox.  That's the problem.  
Other problems like NBC who leaves the key part out of the Columbus shooting.  No excuse for a major network to do that.

I will give you 7 to 1 odds there were dumbing things.
Yes, you're right. And I probably had a hand in starting them.

But still, you have to admit the list of grievances with the MSM is long and distinguished, and tim keeps telling people they're wrong. Because he thinks so. It'd be funny if it weren't so obtuse in thought and delivery. 

Perhaps...but to his point, they are fleeing the MSM because of getting the slant...but flocking to places that slant things even further...that get things wrong just as much, if not more.  Because reporting the facts is not what matters...confirmation bias is what people seem to be seeking out.

Is rejecting the NYT for Gateway Pundit a sign of a person seeking out just the facts?  Of going to a place not pushing an opinion with the story?
There is some truth to his point, but the bigger truth is people don’t want to be steered on their news.  We can go to opinion shows for that.

Well obviously we differ on all this. In any case I don’t think it’s in any way comparable.

But even if it was, the price of rejecting the MSM is, IMO, far greater. 
How do we differ on whether or not they ####ed up the reporting or had a deliberate bias? You agree with us about Columbus, how did they not mischaracterize the Georgia law given what we know about it? It was supposed to be Jim Crow. Do I think the Republicans were up to malfeasance or shenanigans? Yes, I do. Was it portrayed in the media either accurately or fully? No, it clearly was not at first.

So wherein do we "differ" at all? You just think it's okay. Gotta break a few eggs to make omelettes for the liberals among us and all.

No, this isn’t correct. I don’t need to know why conservatives are rejecting mainstream media. I think I already know why. There are several reasons and we disagree on some of them and which ones are more important. 
But I didn’t start this thread specifically to discuss that question; I started it to point out the consequences and discuss where to go from here. 

Yes, you're right. And I probably had a hand in starting them.

But still, you have to admit the list of grievances with the MSM is long and distinguished, and tim keeps telling people they're wrong. Because he thinks so. It'd be funny if it weren't so obtuse in thought and delivery. 
I kind of get it.  There is not one narrative the MSM spews that Tim is not aligned with.  Radical actions on global warming.  Blaming everything on the white man who should be assumed guilty in all cases until otherwise proven.  Donald Trump is the devil.  The Right-Wing media is total lies.  The Media and Big Tech should control the narrative because us peasants are too dumb to know better.  Our borders should be wide-open.  Tax the rich.  More social spending is needed.  I really can't think of a single issue that Tim would be at odds with the story the MSM tells us.

No, this isn’t correct. I don’t need to know why conservatives are rejecting mainstream media. I think I already know why. There are several reasons and we disagree on some of them and which ones are more important. 
But I didn’t start this thread specifically to discuss that question; I started it to point out the consequences and discuss where to go from here. 
Tim, you don't have the slightest clue why.  You have your projections based on your prejudices.  But they are so far off it is not funny.

Right?

I notice Tim always mentions Hannity but never Maddow. She’s just as bad 
In this context I’m focusing on Hannity because he tells his viewers to reject the mainstream media and offers an alternative (which I regard as false and dangerous.) Maddow, whatever her faults, is not engaged in this practice, which is specific to right wing talk show hosts. 

There is some truth to his point, but the bigger truth is people don’t want to be steered on their news.  We can go to opinion shows for that.
Maybe people around here who are engaged in the news and current events.  The general public though? 

Also, I am not so sure that even holds for the people around here or we wouldn't see the links we see around here to those sites we are poo-pooing.  

I kind of get it.  There is not one narrative the MSM spews that Tim is not aligned with.  Radical actions on global warming.  Blaming everything on the white man who should be assumed guilty in all cases until otherwise proven.  Donald Trump is the devil.  The Right-Wing media is total lies.  The Media and Big Tech should control the narrative because us peasants are too dumb to know better.  Our borders should be wide-open.  Tax the rich.  More social spending is needed.  I really can't think of a single issue that Tim would be at odds with the story the MSM tells us.
You’re spending a lot of time analyzing me rather than the issue. Much of what you wrote above is partially or entirely inaccurate, but I’m not going to go through it line by line. Can we return to the subject matter? 

How do we differ on whether or not they ####ed up the reporting or had a deliberate bias? You agree with us about Columbus, how did they not mischaracterize the Georgia law given what we know about it? It was supposed to be Jim Crow. Do I think the Republicans were up to malfeasance or shenanigans? Yes, I do. Was it portrayed in the media either accurately or fully? No, it clearly was not at first.

So wherein do we "differ" at all? You just think it's okay. Gotta break a few eggs to make omelettes for the liberals among us and all.
Again this is incorrect. I don’t think it’s okay to deliberately slant or misrepresent the news. I’m not convinced that what you’re discussing here are actions of a deliberate nature. If they are I condemn them. But if they are I’m not convinced they’re part of a pattern of deliberate behavior. 
On these questions we differ. 

Well first off, as you know, I believe that the media mostly DOES report the facts, and the examples you bring up, while certainly valid, are few and far between. But putting aside that debate, I agree with @KarmaPolice and others that it’s unlikely that a person who has forsaken the mainstream media in favor of Hannity is going to return to the MSM because of greater perceived accuracy. Obviously there are other factors at play here. 

You’re spending a lot of time analyzing me rather than the issue. Much of what you wrote above is partially or entirely inaccurate, but I’m not going to go through it line by line. Can we return to the subject matter? 
And the subject matter is.....you analyzing other people you know nothing about?.

And the subject matter is.....you analyzing other people you know nothing about?.
Analyzing the motivations of groups of people (not individuals here) is an essential element of political discussion, which I assume we’re all here for. 
But if you disagree with my analysis, that’s fine. What are the reasons, in your opinion, that millions of Americans currently believe that Donald Trump won the 2020 presidential election? Since you reject my analysis, what is yours? 

Anyone getting news from opinion TV like Hannity and Maddow, thats on them.  
The difference in news is amazing when you don`t watch people like Hannity, Maddow, Lemon.  Was in northern MI last month a a friends place and they did not have cable hooked up yet.  Picked up some local stations  and it was so refreshing to hear news and stories without all the hate and anger inflection you get from cable news stations.

The difference in news is amazing when you don`t watch people like Hannity, Maddow, Lemon.  Was in northern MI last month a a friends place and they did not have cable hooked up yet.  Picked up some local stations  and it was so refreshing to hear news and stories without all the hate and anger inflection you get from cable news stations.
I’ve watched some news on channels 9/10 on the fire stick.  It’s almost like going back 40 years.  

Maybe people around here who are engaged in the news and current events.  The general public though? 

Also, I am not so sure that even holds for the people around here or we wouldn't see the links we see around here to those sites we are poo-pooing.  
I would like to think we are a microcosm of the general public. Maybe we are a messed up society.

I watch "right wing" media mainly because they report what the "left wing" media refuses to report.

If you really watch, you will see that this is what they spend most of their time doing....reporting what the left wing will not report....or pointing out the parts of their reported stories that were "cut because of time constraints".
You mean things like the Hunter Biden stories that now appear to be 100% true?

Analyzing the motivations of groups of people (not individuals here) is an essential element of political discussion, which I assume we’re all here for. 
But if you disagree with my analysis, that’s fine. What are the reasons, in your opinion, that millions of Americans currently believe that Donald Trump won the 2020 presidential election? Since you reject my analysis, what is yours? 
The same reason there were millions and millions of Democrats who believed that Trump stole the 2016 election by colluding with the Russians.  When you lose, people like to look for excuses.  The refs!  The weather!  Fraudulent ballots!  Russian Collusion!

No post is ever 100% accurate, and no poster is perfect. Having said that, there's absolutely a valid point in the original post and the discussion about that is helpful, whereas the posts about the poster, not so much.

Do people agree "The election was stolen" and January 6th are among the largest threats to democracy we've seen? That's at the crux of the matter. Many of the points are "what about"-isms in a hope to deflect from that reality. If you've been told that "BLM and Antifa riots over the summer" are some kind of equivalent to that, then read the OP again. Rejecting the "MSM" outright is a problem because many, many people instead turn to Facebook or YouTube or similar where their opinions and those of other random people are "just as good as any facts, if not better". It's an issue. Not sure how to solve for it except to encourage people to delete FB, not to watch MSNBC or Fox, and curate news sources with care. It's a tough one. 

No post is ever 100% accurate, and no poster is perfect. Having said that, there's absolutely a valid point in the original post and the discussion about that is helpful, whereas the posts about the poster, not so much.

Do people agree "The election was stolen" and January 6th are among the largest threats to democracy we've seen? That's at the crux of the matter. Many of the points are "what about"-isms in a hope to deflect from that reality. If you've been told that "BLM and Antifa riots over the summer" are some kind of equivalent to that, then read the OP again. Rejecting the "MSM" outright is a problem because many, many people instead turn to Facebook or YouTube or similar where their opinions and those of other random people are "just as good as any facts, if not better". It's an issue. Not sure how to solve for it except to encourage people to delete FB, not to watch MSNBC or Fox, and curate news sources with care. It's a tough one. 
If you don't want the MSM to be rejected, then fix the MSM stop #####ing about other forms of media.  If the MSM didn't lie, mislead, and basically make up stuff they wouldn't be getting rejected.  This isn't very difficult.  Except for those that want to push their propaganda as truth like the OP.

I think people claim they don’t want to be steered...but their actions seem to show they don’t mind of it steers them the way they like.

January 6th was over in 3 hours.  The BLM/Antifa riots have been going on for almost a year.  

Wait.....you don’t need to know why?  How do you “fix things” if you don’t understand the root causes?  I don’t get it.

Wait.....you don’t need to know why?  How do you “fix things” if you don’t understand the root causes?  I don’t get it.
What I meant is that I don’t need to know the reasons that rockaction would offer. I already know those and we disagree. But I’m open to other explanations beyond my own, which are admittedly superficial. 

Nobody thinks they are the same thing.  However, many recognize both entities of harbingers of destruction that appear at many of the same disturbances.  
People seem to conflate the two in these forums with a surprising degree of frequency.  I understand why the actions of each group are concerning for many, but IMO it is a bit of a miss to lump them together.

People seem to conflate the two in these forums with a surprising degree of frequency.  I understand why the actions of each group are concerning for many, but IMO it is a bit of a miss to lump them together.
They are lumped together.  It’s kind of like the Sith and the Empire from Star Wars.  Different origins and stated missions, but to the good guys they are both bad news.  

Users who are viewing this thread