What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I did not see a thread and thought I’d get one going. Who are your picks, and who are you wearing?

Last edited:
Woefully unprepared for this year. Have only seen Nomadland, Mank & Chicago 7 of the BP nominees. None blew me away TBH though I found Nomadland very very interesting and at times heartbreaking, so I guess I'd go with that. From what people are telling me Promising Young Woman is terrific. Wish I'd caught it. 

y'now, they're missing a huuuuge opportunity with tonite's Oscars. if Billy Crystal were to do a montage thru this year's best picture nominees, it would end racism, class warfare and rape culture as we know it.   :kicksrock:

My picks:

Best Picture - Nomadland

Best Director - Chloe Zhao, Nomadland

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Best Actor - Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal

Supporting Actress - Amanda Seyfried, Mank

Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah (loved Paul Raci in Sound of Metal too)

Original Screenplay - Judas and the Black Messiah

Adapted Screenplay - Nomadland

Animated Feature - Soul

Original Score - Soul

Cinematography - Nomadland

Makeup - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Costume - Ma Rainey

I’m stopping there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Actor - Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
This would make the night for me.

I'm hoping for Nomadland for Best Picture and Carey Mulligan for Best Actress (though I have not seen two of the performances so my opinion doesn't count).  Would love to see Ahmed or second choice Anthony Hopkins for Actor.  My Octopus Teacher or Collective in documentary feature would make me happy, as would Collective in foreign film (though Another Round is a shoo-in and was terrific, too).  Have detailed my choices for the shorts in the recently viewed movie thread.

I'm wearing yoga pants with paint splatters on them, socks that came free on a Delta flight, and a hoodie from Husky Homestead in Alaska.  Look for me in People magazine this week!

Tshirt and joggers here, getting ready for a pretty relaxing evening. I posted who I would vote for the in the movie thread but I will throw out my 10 favorite movies of the year, no particular rank:

Mank, Another Round, One Night in Miamu, Judas and the Black Messiah, Nomadland, Palm Springs, Promising Young Woman, First Cow, The Father and Da 5 Bloods.

I also highly recommend Small Axe though it seems like the bodies decided it wasn't a movie. I guess it's really 5 movies from Steve McQueen that are only connected by theme, not by actual story or characters. 

Ratings are going to be so low this year. Incredible lack of star power. Think about last year with Pitt, Leo, Pacino, Joaquin, Adam Driver, ScarJo, Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie, Tom Hanks, Pacino, Pesci, Tarantino, Marty, etc. all getting nominations. 

Recorded this last night but didn't get a chance to watch yet.  Looking forward to it!
Curious, what station is it playing on? I saw it back when it was on Hulu but it seems like when Hulu and HBO Max get some of these new movies, it is for a pretty limited time. 

Curious, what station is it playing on? I saw it back when it was on Hulu but it seems like when Hulu and HBO Max get some of these new movies, it is for a pretty limited time. 
It was on Showtime, which I didn't know I had.  Maybe I have it for free for a time or something, or I'm paying for it and don't pay enough attention.  Anyway, Showtime.

Best Picture - Nomadland

Best Actor - Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”

Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah 

I haven't see all of them either--but I think there is a certain "PC" element going to to happen tonight.....

Just watched the Academy president thank the ancestral people who originally inhabited the lands that the academy uses.  His wokeness and virtue signaling made me want to throw up in my mouth.  

I haven't watched anything associated with the Oscars in a long time and now I remember why.  The patronizing attitude of these Hollywood #######s is maddening.  

Just watched the Academy president thank the ancestral people who originally inhabited the lands that the academy uses.  His wokeness and virtue signaling made me want to throw up in my mouth.  

I haven't watched anything associated with the Oscars in a long time and now I remember why.  The patronizing attitude of these Hollywood #######s is maddening.  
My workplace does Land Acknowledgments quite often. Not sure it’s worth having to potentially ruin a shirt getting worked up over it. 

This would make the night for me.

I'm hoping for Nomadland for Best Picture and Carey Mulligan for Best Actress (though I have not seen two of the performances so my opinion doesn't count).  Would love to see Ahmed or second choice Anthony Hopkins for Actor.  My Octopus Teacher or Collective in documentary feature would make me happy, as would Collective in foreign film (though Another Round is a shoo-in and was terrific, too).  Have detailed my choices for the shorts in the recently viewed movie thread.

I'm wearing yoga pants with paint splatters on them, socks that came free on a Delta flight, and a hoodie from Husky Homestead in Alaska.  Look for me in People magazine this week!
It seems like Boseman is the favorite for Best Actor (and I get why), but I think Ahmed was the better performance.

While I don’t have a hoodie from the Husky Homestead, I have been there. Awesome place.

In case anyone hasn't the movies and needs a little synopsis 

The Father- old guy can't find his watch

Minari- little kid has a broken heart and a broken penis

Trial of the Chicago 7- boomers were too cool for court 

The Sound of Metal- Guy sells his RV, regrets it and tries to buy it back

Nomadland- Amazon worker likes to watch the sunset 

Promising Young Woman- love is in the air as a med school drop out catches up with her old classmates 

Mank-  Tywin Lannister plots to stop Bill Nye's Gubernatorial bid 

Judas and the Black Messiah-  A movie with 2 actors nominated for best supporting actor for playing the titular characters, figure that one out 

Thanks for the update and the ironic chuckle you gave me. 

Best Picture - Nomadland

Best Actor - Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”

Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah 

I haven't see all of them either--but I think there is a certain "PC" element going to to happen tonight.....
3371 new voters from 68 countries, and disproportionately younger, female, and not-white.  I am not saying that is a negative, but it's 100% going to be a more inclusive result of voting.

From twitter: Nation's Wealthy, Privileged Gather To Lecture Nation On Evils Of Wealth, Privilege  :D  

The Father- old guy can't find his watch

The Sound of Metal- Guy sells his RV, regrets it and tries to buy it back

Promising Young Woman- love is in the air as a med school drop out catches up with her old classmates 
Did you come up with these?  :lmao:  at these three in particular.

3371 new voters from 68 countries, and disproportionately younger, female, and not-white.  I am not saying that is a negative, but it's 100% going to be a more inclusive result of voting.
Plus this year, all the really big prestigious Hollywood movies didn't get released for obvious financial reasons. It created a really wide open race for smaller, independent movies. 

I watched the first 45 minutes of Best International film Another Round but it didn't grab me enough to go back to it the next night.  I guess I should finish it now :oldunsure:

Jeez man the guy is talking about his daughter who was supposed to be in his movie died 4 days before shooting, give him a break. 
Yeah, that was ####### cold.  

I'm happy for this Best Supporting Actor win, but the fact that the guy who played Fred Hampton was a supporting actor in the movie about Fred Hampton encapsulates my issues with the movie.  I do appreciate it more as time goes on, though.

Odd that both the title characters of Judas and the Black Messiah are considered supporting actors.  Is there some threshold of screen time or lines to qualify as a lead?

Odd that both the title characters of Judas and the Black Messiah are considered supporting actors.  Is there some threshold of screen time or lines to qualify as a lead?
No, I think Anthony Hopkins had under 25 minutes for Silence of the Lambs. Pretty random.

Person and cliff's notes?  I respect your opinion but I keep turning away.
Daniel Kaluuya.  Sorry, I hate when I'm not watching something and people make comments like mine without context, and didn't realize I was doing it, too!  I'm not sure how to describe the speech.  Maybe someone else could do a better job.  It embarrassed his mom.

No, I think Anthony Hopkins had under 25 minutes for Silence of the Lambs. Pretty random.
Yeah, a lot of times it also has to do with what award the studio in question lobbies for, which I think they base on their perceived quality of the competition.

Daniel Kaluuya.  Sorry, I hate when I'm not watching something and people make comments like mine without context, and didn't realize I was doing it, too!  I'm not sure how to describe the speech.  Maybe someone else could do a better job.  It embarrassed his mom.
Cool, thanks.  I'll find it in the morning.

And you don't need to feel beholden to describe everything.  I'll ask if I care enough. :)  

Users who are viewing this thread