Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Academy Awards 2021

8 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I guess this world deserves a remake of West Side Story

Looks so bad. Such a crazy movie to remake as it's pretty much perfect as is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don Quixote said:

Happy to see Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom get some love. A bit too play-like at times, but solid movie.

Getting awards for the right thing. It looked really good but like you said, too stagey. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Getting awards for the right thing. It looked really good but like you said, too stagey. 

As much as I appreciated The Father, it felt really stagey to me at first.  But it did break out of that after a while.

Just now, krista4 said:

As much as I appreciated The Father, it felt really stagey to me at first.  But it did break out of that after a while.

Interesting, it never struck me that way. Perhaps the editing? Or the constant level of imbalance it keeps the audience in distracted me from it. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah - I liked it for those and Viola Davis as an actress too, as she stole the movie for me. Definitely had the stagey feel overall though.

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Interesting, it never struck me that way. Perhaps the editing? Or the constant level of imbalance it keeps the audience in distracted me from it. 

I didn't even know it had been a play until after I watched.  I try not to read too much about anything before viewing.  But it really struck me as a play for the first several scenes.  Then I think that off-balance, off-kilter feeling kicked in and I totally didn't feel it anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, krista4 said:

Lovely, positive speech by Chloe Zhao about believing in the inherent goodness of people.  :) 

Interesting that her next movie is a Marvel film. 

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Lovely, positive speech by Chloe Zhao about believing in the inherent goodness of people.  :) 

Interesting that her next movie is a Marvel film. 

I'm trying to forget that.

But really, I thought Nomadland was about that, by the way.  The people in it were good, trying to do the best for those around them.  Every time I thought there was going to be someone acting ####ty, they didn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

unwatchable wankfest. participation trophies and video confessionals next year?

Enough about The Trial of the Chicago 7.

• Laughing 3

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I'm trying to forget that.

But really, I thought Nomadland was about that, by the way.  The people in it were good, trying to do the best for those around them.  Every time I thought there was going to be someone acting ####ty, they didn't.

Kind of like the opposite of Mank

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Mank's the only BP I haven't seen.  Will, I guess.

It's really polarizing. A lot of people absolutely hated it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chet said:

Just watched the Academy president thank the ancestral people who originally inhabited the lands that the academy uses.  His wokeness and virtue signaling made me want to throw up in my mouth.  

I haven't watched anything associated with the Oscars in a long time and now I remember why.  The patronizing attitude of these Hollywood #######s is maddening.  

are you going to be ok? we're here for you in these difficult times, gb. thopraws and best wishes.

• Laughing 1

2-for-3.  I didn't have any confidence in my prediction against a Holocaust/resistance fighter film, and that was correct.

ETA:  Colette was fantastic and a deserving winner.  I just wanted Love Song for Latasha more.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, krista4 said:
57 minutes ago, facook said:

Person and cliff's notes?  I respect your opinion but I keep turning away.

Daniel Kaluuya.  Sorry, I hate when I'm not watching something and people make comments like mine without context, and didn't realize I was doing it, too!  I'm not sure how to describe the speech.  Maybe someone else could do a better job.  It embarrassed his mom.

i knew exactly who were talking about, even coming in an hour later. best speech of the night.

pretty sure he even thanked his mom and dad for having sex. 

• Like 3

Just now, El Floppo said:

she was great. 

speech- havent' seen minari (or most of the movies)

She was very deserving of the award.  Now I'm even happier she won, though.  

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie, but this is a nice tribute to his humanitarian work.  And he wins the clothing award for that velvet jacket.  :wub: 

And a helluva speech.

Have they ever done the In Memoriam at such breakneck speed?  :lol: 

George Segal was a good oh there's Sean Conne oh Chadwick so sad.

Edited by krista4
  • Sad 1