Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Academy Awards 2021

Nomadland was deserving, but it felt more important than best picture to me, whatever that means. Just felt like something you should watch to educate yourself on what people are going through, rather than the best picture of the year. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

i stopped watching... what happened?

Last award was Best Actor.. went to Anthony Hopkins. Academy accepted the award on his behalf because he apparently had better things to do tonight.

Edited by Don Quixote

1 minute ago, Donning of a New Age said:

Anyone else feel like maybe the show is buffering and it’ll start back up soon?

The credits looked/sounded like it was the end of Price is Right.

4 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

?

They re-arranged the whole show to have best actor last, presumably as a tribute/send-off to Chadwick (who had won other best actor awards at other shows) and then Hopkins wins, and he isn’t even there and they basically rush to the credits. Extremely weird. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

They re-arranged the whole show to have best actor last, presumably as a tribute/send-off to Chadwick (who had won other best actor awards at other shows) and then Hopkins wins, and he isn’t even there and they basically rush to the credits. Extremely weird. 

Ah. Don't really see the "PLOT TWIST!" angle. I get allowing for the show to go out on a deceased fan favorite best actor award. Not sure what the big deal is. It was always going to be a weird year.

1 hour ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I was already sick of McDormand..... and then she wins over Mulligan and Davis  :thumbdown:

Her performance was worthy, but yeah, she’s pretty irritating.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Capella said:

Nomadland was deserving, but it felt more important than best picture to me, whatever that means. Just felt like something you should watch to educate yourself on what people are going through, rather than the best picture of the year. 

Okay, but you won't finish Mortal Kombat. Whatever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

7 hours ago, Capella said:

I thought Nomadland was a very good movie, extremely well acted, beautiful scenes/cinematography, and a very important story - as you wrote.

But I didn't find it very entertaining. It was a slog for me to get through.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Here's an idea: when 40% of one category isn't in the building, don't make it the final award of the night.

They had to be so sure it was going to be Boseman. I think he was +1600 to win

7 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Wut? So we end with an actor still alive that did not even bother to appear via Zoom?

It came to such a screeching halt, was really quite something. I don't blame Hopkins. He is 83, lives in Wales and who really wants to accept the award that was "supposed" to go to the late Chadwick Boseman? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

They had to be so sure it was going to be Boseman. I think he was +1600 to win

I guess if anything it goes to prove that nobody truly knows who won until the envelope is opened. 

• Like 1

Skimmed the highlights here.  Looks like a complete disaster.  My favorite part of this thing every year is the corpse rundown.  So not having the applause meter was a bummer.  

I don't watch many movies now anyways, but this is the first year I've not seen a single nominee for best picture (look at me).  It's been a decade since I've seen a best picture winner now.  

Crazy they bypassed Boseman, who the hell votes for Hopkins in this situation?  

10 hours ago, krista4 said:

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie, but this is a nice tribute to his humanitarian work.  And he wins the clothing award for that velvet jacket.  :wub: 

May be the most deserving award and speech in decades.

Per fashion.

I haven't read the whole thread but no one has said a word about Luara Dern shooting and skinning two Bjork's to make that 'dress'?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Crazy they bypassed Boseman, who the hell votes for Hopkins in this situation?  

Why is that crazy?  The award is for best performance, not "hey, one of the nominees died, so let's give it to him." 

Note: I have not seen either film yet, so I have no idea, but this idea that they should have just given it to the deceased guy as almost a sympathy gesture is kinda absurd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Why is that crazy?  The award is for best performance, not "hey, one of the nominees died, so let's give it to him." 

Note: I have not seen either film yet, so I have no idea, but this idea that they should have just given it to the deceased guy as almost a sympathy gesture is kinda absurd. 

Exactly,

A funny thing happened on the way to an (attempt at) an orchestrated ending.

21 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

These awards are all nonsense and actors/studios have successfully petitioned for them for decades. Let’s not pretend like this is something it’s not. 

Also, I saw both and thought Bozeman was better. Hopkins was awesome too. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, krista4 said:

I haven't seen any of these animated movies, but that wolf one looked really cool.

My 10 year old daughter read the book last year and we watched it together.  It was good, but not something I'd watch on my own.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, krista4 said:

I feel dumb to ask this, but who's this host?  He's hilarious.

If you mean the guy who quizzed Glenn Close, it's this guy:

Comedian and actor Lil Rel Howery quizzed attendees about Oscar-nominated songs during a segment in the show.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

I thought McDormand was refreshing when she won for Fargo. Since then, the mute button has been relied on heavily.

She's a phenomenal actress, but I saw a clip from last night and she literally looked like she rolled out of bed, threw on the nearest thing she could find to wear, and then walked on stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donning of a New Age said:

I cannot tell if she’s eccentric or pretending to be eccentric. Either way, she’s an odd duck. 

I think she is eccentric. Anyway, that howl she did for "Wolf" on stage was a shout out to him. He was the production sound mixer for the film, and he committed suicide this past March. Wolf was Michael Wolf Snyder.

Edited by simey
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Lowest ratings ever. Less than half of last year’s ratings which were the previous low. Under 10 million people watched. Rough year for movies and a bunch of lower energy depressing movies leading things during a rough year surely didn’t help.