Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Academy Awards 2021

19 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Sorry, I didn’t design the board. If you want to complain about the political ramifications of award shows/Hollywood, there’s a whole forum in which that topic can be discussed.

I’d prefer to learn something about the nominees, and not rehash how political correctness is destroying life as we know it.

just because an issue might gain a political tinge, there's no need to automatically condemn it to that ash heap of histrionics, the parrots and magpies for to pick at it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

just because an issue might gain a political tinge, there's no need to automatically condemn it to that ash heap of histrionics, the parrots and magpies for to pick at it.

It's such a tired topic, filled with faux outrage that rightfully belongs on the curmudgeon board. Absent that, let the birds eat.

• Like 1

with some of the posts in here and the name dropping and three dollar words being thrown out in look at how smart i am fashion i keep waiting for matt damon to show up and ask how they like them apples take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

52 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Truly revolting watching what the heirs to beatnik and counterculture greatness have descended to. It's been somewhat co-opted and stolen. I guess the first deconstruction wasn't quite enough, it needed to go further than originally planned. Perhaps, and sadly, that was the intention all along.

as one who can speak for both the counterculture & desconstructionists, the former pleads guilt-by-insanity and the latter reduces all accusers with sardonic stares.

the counterculture is guilty because it was selfish and stoopit and plainly did not recognize that one simply does not remove two load-bearing pillars of society - family & parish - and ignore the subsequent instability in an orgy of "my turn"ness.

the deconstructionists were artists, revealing all the parts of the structure that were superfluous. business and media (and fanboys&girls of both) took up the blueprint in order to atomize the social contract for fun & profit and are the miscreants in that regard.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, SWC said:

with some of the posts in here and the name dropping and three dollar words being thrown out in look at how smart i am fashion i keep waiting for matt damon to show up and ask how they like them apples take that to the bank brohans 

Wikkid and rock write such flowery posts, any response kinda demands a trip to the word bank, Broget.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

It's such a tired topic, filled with faux outrage that rightfully belongs on the curmudgeon board. Absent that, let the birds eat.

these are not political points but cultural ones, anyway - twas the Oprahs & Aileses who put identity on the pedestal because there was beaucoup bucks in helping the citizenry simmer in the rendered fat of their misfortunes.

as i do say on my rare ventures to the PF power lines from which those hungry birds squawk - capitalism is dead, communism died long ago, suckerism now rules the day

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Yeah, kind of. The wokiness of the sequel trilogies and just everything surrounding the Star Wars universe has sucked the fun and, more specifically, the innocence out of it. In short, Disney has exhausted me with their Star Wars hammer.

I blame Kathleen Kennedy, Mark Hamill, and Rian Johnson. 

I cared so little about this series that I just couldn't be bothered to watch the last one.  It became so blah.

Although Jar Jar may have had a little something to do with it.

5 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

meh.  we are at a time where there is a crapload of options, but are those options really that great?  

JMO, but even the mighty HBO's output is 50/50  at best.   I haven't found more than a couple shows in the last few years I think were truly great.  

I realised a while ago that there were zero TV shows that I watched.  ZERO.  That never happened before.

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I keep meaning to see Jojo Rabbit, but I have a feeling that it's the kind of movie I'm going to be in the right mood for.  Good call on these two though -- they aren't really my thing, but other folks seemed to really like them.

JoJo Rabbit is terrific. But I like my humor sardonic and tongue in cheek - and as in this case, wrapped in biting satire.

1 hour ago, SWC said:

I have some twenty dollar words I'm not afraid to use.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It's not just the libral thing, either.  Clint Eastwood and Heston don't evoke the warm fuzzies.  Ben Hur is my favorite movie.  It's like he never read the script.  And what's with the complaints over Chadwick Boseman not winning?  Is supposed to win just because he died.  I loved his performance, but it's not as if Hopkins sucks.  

Did Brie Larson really say that?  What an idiot.

Bozeman's family came out and said Hopkins deserves the award and that Chadwick never cared much for awards anyway. As usual it's people looking for content to or be mad about something pushing the negativity there IMO. Even with Brief, if I am thinking of the same story it was:

1. Brie says when there are interview tours it is always men and her new movie stars and is built for women and women of color so she wants to only do interviews with them so she can help them get their foot in the door of the industry. 

2. A small amount of people get mad and that gets hyped by right wing media.

3. Left wing media exaggerated the outrage as if it's some huge backlash and reports on. 

4. Right wing media responds and so on. 

It seems to me like a lot of people are either looking for outrage or are happy to have it fed to them by outrage machine media. It comes from both sides non-stop. I could really do without it, especially when it comes from people who are admittedly not big movie fans. 

It started out as a vague feeling for me last summer/fall and has gotten to be pretty specific now - I have fallen out of love with movies. The sanctimony finally got to me.

I have sold almost all of my Blu Rays and 4k movies - including my Star Wars - and I don't really feel bad about it.

Wish I knew, might have bought some from you. Sucks to lose you from the movie thread. 

6 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, and I always said that about your first complaint, too. I'm just relaying why my dollar is gone.

As far as escapism goes, I hate the MCU and super hero movies. And they've gotten political, too. The last one I saw, which had Spider Man and the Avengers, we had a teen lead character that wouldn't visit the Washington Monument on a school trip because Washington was a slave owner. Her absence became a plot device. Again, the politics wound up in the plot. Same actress in a magazine a few weeks earlier talking about social justice and the like. Clearly, she'd either read the script and was good with it, or she was driving the plot. I should have known.

My quip was a personal taste thing. And I honestly think you're not seeing it because you're very, very liberal and accepting of that sort of stuff within the plot. I'm not, and I see crap like that in every movie. That's my honest two cents.

I can't comment on the MCU. I've never seen any of their movies. The superhero thing isn't for me. I am liberal in my acceptance for sure. I don't mind seeing things I don't agree with. Whether that is protesting of the Washington Monument or older movies that portray Natives as savages. I own Gone with the Wind on blu ray. I am happy to take in art and enjoy it even if it's not putting my world view on display. I like how they capture a snapshot of the history of the time. Movies are as good as that as anything I've seen. 

3 hours ago, facook said:

Wife, son, and I sat down to enjoy a 50th Anniversary celebration of Sesame Street on ABC last night.  20 minutes in we changed the channel from what turned out to be a BLM commercial/piece of propaganda.  Sesame Street was and should be vehicle to bring racial understanding and healing.  What they turned it into last night made me more sad than anything in the media has in a long time. 

What happened? I Googled and searched Twitter expecting to see the usual firestorm and found nothing. 

They focused on the protests, and a family of black muppets SS created to teach "social justice" to their viewers.  Including interspersing video clips of BLM demonstrations and commentary by black celebrities and Jill Biden.   My wife thinks I get way too worked up about stuff, but she said "I can't believe they made this so political" and got up and left before I had even turned the channel.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd have been just fine if they left BLM out of it entirely.  Too polarizing to base the program on that, imo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Im trying to think of the last really good movie Ive seen. I can't think of one that was truly great. 

2019 was loaded. If there wasn't movie in there that was great than you might not like movies. Which is fine of course. 

You're not wrong here. But too many movies have a double dose of bad - they're political AND they're not entertaining or even interesting. The politics is the final nail. 

Plus, when you know the money you spend is going to go to actors and an industry that are/is obviously diametrically opposed - because they say out loud that they are at every opportunity - to what you believe in...you think twice about giving them that money. 

That is a reason I can relate to and can't argue. Money talks. 

7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I guess everyone forgets Citizen Kane.

One of the main reasons the Oscars started in the first place was to distract from the attempts of many workers to unionize. This stuff has been cultural and political from day 1. The industry has fluctuated in it's left-right positioning but the movies have always drawn the ire of critics, protesters, gossip columnists and Congress. I think what has changed the most is the ability for a loud minority to blast their opinions into the mainstream and rile people up. We now have entire industries built around blasting up minority opinions and then reacting and then reacting to the reaction. This happens in sports, movies, politics, etc. Very unhealthy to go for all that. 

4 minutes ago, facook said:

They focused on the protests, and a family of black muppets SS created to teach "social justice" to their viewers.  Including interspersing video clips of BLM demonstrations and commentary by black celebrities and Jill Biden.   My wife thinks I get way too worked up about stuff, but she said "I can't believe they made this so political" and got up and left before I had even turned the channel.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd have been just fine if they left BLM out of it entirely.  Too polarizing to base the program on that, imo.

Interesting, hasn't that been what Sesame Street has been doing forever? It was founded with these kinds of goals in mind- teaching kinds not just to read but about difficult subjects in the world and about diversity of the world. 

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Interesting, hasn't that been what Sesame Street has been doing forever? It was founded with these kinds of goals in mind- teaching kinds not just to read but about difficult subjects in the world and about diversity of the world. 

Yep and they've done it well for the most part.  This was over the line, imo, and I'll drop it with that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

No.

43 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

One of the main reasons the Oscars started in the first place was to distract from the attempts of many workers to unionize.

No it wasn't.  They were conceived as PR by Frank Capra.  The union stuff didn't happen until about four years later.

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

1. Brie says when there are interview tours it is always men and her new movie stars and is built for women and women of color so she wants to only do interviews with them so she can help them get their foot in the door of the industry.

That wasn't what she said, exactly, and then she went on to say this about white, male critics....

"[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of colour, to biracial women, to teen women of colour, to teens that are biracial" - Brie Larson.

She doesn't note that A Wrinkle In Time was written by a lapsed Catholic, Madeleine L'Engle, the book had serious religious overtones, made no mention of identity politics nor of biracial teens, nor of anything of the sort to do with race. And would have rolled in her grave had she known the film was going to be judged that way. A Wrinkle In Time and the trilogy that followed is about mitochondria and cancer, and the ability of brothers and sisters to talk supernaturally at a molecular level. It was not meant for a casting experiment to be judged along racial lines. Multiracial casting? Fine in my world. That outlook? Stupid and left-wing identity politics ruling the day. Totally missing the point of the book.

She pretty much has said, in context, what I've accused her of. Larson's luminescent stupidity has shown through at every level.

Your declarations about Sesame and the Oscars are wrong at first blush, too. And I see you've been corrected. Might want to stop panting about people who "don't watch movies," and are susceptible to "right-wing" and "left-wing" cyclical arguments and stick to analysis that both gets the facts correct and provides context for those complaints.

Because you seem awfully knee-jerk in your defense of movies because you love movies. That's great. But some of us loved movies, too, and found them wrecked with garbage and detritus from identity politics masquerading as brave stances, ridiculous asides functioning as social commentary, and radical theories and stories as subjects for getting movies made.

Edited by rockaction
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

11 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

She's a phenomenal actress, but I saw a clip from last night and she literally looked like she rolled out of bed, threw on the nearest thing she could find to wear, and then walked on stage. 

Kinda like her character in the movie huh.  Probably was on purpose.  

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I can't comment on the MCU. I've never seen any of their movies.

How on earth can you claim to know the state of movies or the state of politics in movies if you haven't? I wasn't talking about film, either, and made that specific. I talked about your average "movie" and "moviegoer."

To say that is to admit that one is out of touch with a large swath of movies today, and is actually more out of touch with the content than the average moviegoer. Even I, who won't watch movies barely at all anymore, have seen a few of the biggest franchise installments of the MCU universe, which even dominates the front page of a bunch of forty year-olds in the FFA, not to mention your average teen the past decade.

Edited by rockaction

5 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

my only interest in media anymore is keeping score of bi-racial partners in commercials

I saw one of the taboo two that crossed the last line from 1964 the other night. It was a like a flying unicorn pony named Midnight Sparkle. I started to write it out but thought it might bring a suspension, so I didn't. Usually the dynamic I'd write about is merely ambiguous. This wasn't. Impressively done, and I can't remember the product for the life of me.

That said, what are you keeping score of? I bet even though she's liberated, she's still doing the laundry. Or he's trying to, but incompetent at it.

Edited by rockaction

9 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, and I always said that about your first complaint, too. I'm just relaying why my dollar is gone.

As far as escapism goes, I hate the MCU and super hero movies. And they've gotten political, too. The last one I saw, which had Spider Man and the Avengers, we had a teen lead character that wouldn't visit the Washington Monument on a school trip because Washington was a slave owner. Her absence became a plot device. Again, the politics wound up in the plot. Same actress in a magazine a few weeks earlier talking about social justice and the like. Clearly, she'd either read the script and was good with it, or she was driving the plot. I should have known.

My quip was a personal taste thing. And I honestly think you're not seeing it because you're very, very liberal and accepting of that sort of stuff within the plot. I'm not, and I see crap like that in every movie. That's my honest two cents.

Bracie, on the other hand, could be among those who sees angels and demons manifest on earth and thinks Myles Garrett is a great guy, but we've been over that before and there's no need for him to "pray" for my "mental health" again. That's what a rube does.

Honest question did you complain like this when we had 70 straight years of movies with only white people as the leads, even with them dressing up as Native Americans and Asians? 

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I don't think you're looking for that adjective to that word. You're looking for actual disgust, as in, "I know it puts me out of touch with the prevailing cultural winds, but I'mma do it anyway."

Edited by rockaction

41 minutes ago, Capella said:

Honest question did you complain like this when we had 70 straight years of movies with only white people as the leads, even with them dressing up as Native Americans and Asians? 

13% of the population can’t star in >50% of the movies, own half the NBA, NFL and everything else . Christ.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

I wasn't alive nor really conscious to comment then. I was born in 1973. Generally, that practice was over by the time I was old enough to be aware of it, to the best of my ability to comprehend it.

I do have a real issue with that. Notice that I posted Marlon Brando's protest of the treatment of Native Americans as protest done with an element of theater, something I could actually comprehend. Not some dip####ty press junket aside that casts off about thirty percent of the population as irrelevant for comment.

Asking what people didn't complain about is an old activist trick, too, and we see it in the PSF every day. It's the cousin to whataboutism. If you haven't raised your voice to be heard about past injustices, you abide them somehow. It's the neat activist two-step, making sure everybody has to do the dance and had to in previous iterations, or somehow they get cast aside by the new revolutionaries.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I saw one of the taboo two that crossed the last line from 1964 the other night. It was a like a flying unicorn pony named Midnight Sparkle. I started to write it out but thought it might bring a suspension, so I didn't. Usually the dynamic I'd write about is merely ambiguous. This wasn't. Impressively done, and I can't remember the product for the life of me.

That said, what are you keeping score of? I bet even though she's liberated, she's still doing the laundry. Or he's trying to, but incompetent at it.

cant go any further here. i'd LOVE to right a bit for someone - cuz it's the perfect illustration of our hilarious post-everything hypocracies - but that line in this sitch was my first real op to say anything on the subject in months of wanting to...

34 minutes ago, rockaction said:
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I can't comment on the MCU. I've never seen any of their movies.

How on earth can you claim to know the state of movies or the state of politics in movies if you haven't? I wasn't talking about film, either, and made that specific. I talked about your average "movie" and "moviegoer."

To say that is to admit that one is out oftouch and is actually more out of touch with the content than the average moviegoer or even I am, who doesn't watch movies barely at all anymore, but has seen a few of the biggest franchise installments of the MCU universe, which even dominates the front page of a bunch of forty year-olds in the FFA, not to mention your average teen the past decade.

I haven't seen any of the MCU movies either. I watched The Watchmen on HBO, which was a Superhero limited series, and I enjoyed it a lot. Ilov watches a lot of movies, and I don't think he is out of touch cause he hasn't seen the MCU movies.

Edited by simey
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, simey said:

I haven't seen any of the MCU movies either. I watched The Watchmen on HBO, which was a Superhero limited series, and I enjoyed it a lot. Ilov watches a lot of movies, and I don't think he is out of touch cause he hasn't seen the MCU movies.

If you're going to talk about movies and popular culture and the political content within, then you're completely out of touch. Sorry to disagree about that. Those movies make the most dollars and shape consciousness hand over fist in America. To say that "movies" don't have a political edge to them these days while not watching the biggest movies on the planet is worse than saying you generally don't watch movies but hate their politics, which is what he's griping about.

That's way worse.

Really, sorry to disagree with people I like, but you can't say that movies aren't political without noting which stories are being made, the asides and overtones of the biggest movies that are in theaters, etc.

Just doesn't work that way. You want to work the indie circuit, fine, but that's a startling admission when one is trying to talk about pop culture without having seen super hero movies.

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Really, sorry to disagree with people I like, but you can't say that movies aren't political without noting which stories are being made, the asides and overtones of the biggest movies that are in theaters, etc.

Just doesn't work that way. You want to work the indie circuit, fine, but that's a startling admission when one is trying to talk about pop culture without having seen super hero movies.

I don’t think you like me, but regardless, I’m not arguing movies are apolitical, and I don’t see other people doing that either.

I just think the conversation belongs elsewhere, as it detracts from discussing the actual films.

45 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I wasn't alive nor really conscious to comment then. I was born in 1973. Generally, that practice was over by the time I was old enough to be aware of it, to the best of my ability to comprehend it.

I do have a real issue with that. Notice that I posted Marlon Brando's protest of the treatment of Native Americans as protest done with an element of theater, something I could actually comprehend. Not some dip####ty press junket aside that casts off about thirty percent of the population as irrelevant for comment.

Asking what people didn't complain about is an old activist trick, too, and we see it in the PSF every day. It's the cousin to whataboutism. If you haven't raised your voice to be heard about past injustices, you abide them somehow. It's the neat activist two-step, making sure everybody has to do the dance and had to in previous iterations, or somehow they get cast aside by the new revolutionaries.

I didn’t ask if you raised your voice, I assumed you were a younger guy, I asked if it bothered you. There’s a reason a lot of people are actively speaking up about things now; namely that they’ve gone uncorrected for so long. 

49 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

13% of the population can’t star in >50% of the movies, own half the NBA, NFL and everything else . Christ.

Own half the nba and nfl huh

also, what an unbelievable post to make. 

Edited by Capella

2 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I don’t think you like me, but regardless, I’m not arguing movies are apolitical, and I don’t see other people doing that either.

I just think the conversation belongs elsewhere, as it detracts from discussing the actual films.

I was more referring to simey and ilov, but that's okay. I actually like you just fine. You're way into public health and I tend to disagree with a lot of public health initiatives, so that puts us often diametrically opposed on issues of free will and freedom, but you seem to have a fine temperament.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

No it wasn't.  They were conceived as PR by Frank Capra.  The union stuff didn't happen until about four years later.

There's been several things written on the founding of the Academy of Arts and Sciences as a measure by Louis B Mayer to settle union disputes and avoid a need for unions and the usage of the award show as a way to control the kind of movies artists would want to make. I can't say I have fact checked them all, but plenty to read about it.

17 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Not sure who this is directed at but it is the opposite of my take. The movies have always been political. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

I didn’t ask if you raised your voice, I assumed you were a younger guy, I asked if it bothered you. There’s a reason a lot of people are actively speaking up about things now; namely that they’ve gone uncorrected for so long. 

I actually never liked the portrayal of Native Americans, especially. I thought it was akin to thirties portrayals of blacks as feral. So yeah, even as a kid, that bothered me. So didn't portrayals of blacks until about 1960 or so. But, I was really young and there certainly wasn't much of a way to express it. I think Larson's bit about not caring what a forty year-old white dude thinks is sort of counterproductive to any sort of redress or commonality of goals. Really, it's not useful and it's selectively dismissive. I've never grooved on that.

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Not sure who this is directed at but it is the opposite of my take. The movies have always been political. 

I meant the nature of the politics, not apolitical. I was talking about you and simey. I'm trying to write responses to about five people at a time and address five different issues.

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

To say that is to admit that one is out of touch with a large swath of movies today, and is actually more out of touch with the content than the average moviegoer. Even I, who won't watch movies barely at all anymore, have seen a few of the biggest franchise installments of the MCU universe, which even dominates the front page of a bunch of forty year-olds in the FFA, not to mention your average teen the past decade.

What was my claim about the state of politics in movies other than this is nothing new? 

Just now, rockaction said:

I meant the nature of the politics, not apolitical. I was talking about you and simey. I'm trying to write responses to about five people at a time and address five different issues.

I am not sure what that means. My only thread of response to anything posted here was this is how it has always been. 

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Own half the nba and nfl huh

also, what an unbelievable post to make. 

I was thinking the same, but at least I learned a new insult.

It’s a little confusing though. Would a non-simp (pimp?) want women to occupy 50% of all those positions?

Edited by Terminalxylem

I follow like you I follow fantasy football. Just because I didn't watch a single Kyle Pitts game last year, doesn't mean I am clueless about him. I listen to podcasts about movies and the industry, read about it, watch a lot of movies, read about the history of the business, etc. I understand what is going on with the movie industry, I just don't want to watch MCU movies. 

That wasn't what she said, exactly, and then she went on to say this about white, male critics....

"[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work for him about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn't made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of colour, to biracial women, to teen women of colour, to teens that are biracial" - Brie Larson.

She doesn't note that A Wrinkle In Time was written by a lapsed Catholic, Madeleine L'Engle, the book had serious religious overtones, made no mention of identity politics nor of biracial teens, nor of anything of the sort to do with race. And would have rolled in her grave had she known the film was going to be judged that way. A Wrinkle In Time and the trilogy that followed is about mitochondria and cancer, and the ability of brothers and sisters to talk supernaturally at a molecular level. It was not meant for a casting experiment to be judged along racial lines. Multiracial casting? Fine in my world. That outlook? Stupid and left-wing identity politics ruling the day. Totally missing the point of the book.

She pretty much has said, in context, what I've accused her of. Larson's luminescent stupidity has shown through at every level.

Again, it's an actress in the movie. She didn't write it or produce it. I don't think the movie or the book was written for 40 year old men. I don't know what the writer of the movie or the director or the producer were thinking. Don't care either. Have no interest at all in what Brie Larson thinks. I am not looking for anything positive or negative in what she said. 

Your declarations about Sesame and the Oscars are wrong at first blush, too. And I see you've been corrected. Might want to stop panting about people who "don't watch movies," and are susceptible to "right-wing" and "left-wing" cyclical arguments and stick to analysis that both gets the facts correct and provides context for those complaints.

Because you seem awfully knee-jerk in your defense of movies because you love movies. That's great. But some of us loved movies, too, and found them wrecked with garbage and detritus from identity politics masquerading as brave stances, ridiculous asides functioning as social commentary, and radical theories and stories as subjects for getting movies made.

They weren't proven wrong just because someone else typed saying I was wrong. What kind if proof was that? Hell with Sesame Street, Facook agreed with me. 

1 minute ago, Terminalxylem said:

Yes please.

The thread is wide open to leave. You do not have read it, stick around, or comment about it. Nobody was in here discussing last night's awards. This has been driven by the sentiment I expressed back a bunch of pages and now is the general thrust of the thread, so it's not interfering with Oscar talk.

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I just don't want to watch MCU movies.

That's fine, but you can't possibly know the content of movies unless you watch. No podcast or state of the industry article is going to give you that. You're telling me a grievance is wrongheaded without watching the material. You have no idea if those movies are expressly more political in plot, asides, message, or how politics manifest in art than older movies. You haven't seen them. It's impossible to comment, then, that it's the same as it ever was.

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I follow like you I follow fantasy football.

I have no idea what you're saying here. That's not to point out a typo or bad edit, it's just that the analogy is a bit muddled at that point.

Again, it's an actress in the movie. She didn't write it or produce it.

Actresses select scripts and have input in large-budget productions because of star power. Those two things lead me to believe that the politics are not incidental.

Hell with Sesame Street, Facook agreed with me. 

Sesame Street did not address civil rights or political issues in its inception to people like me, facook, and identikit growing up. People remember the Bert and Ernie O. Henry sketch at Christmas, The Count counting, and the alphabet game. It didn't do social justice until the 90s, IIRC. If it was subversive in its first iterations at all, it was because it showed diverse characters in diverse settings. It rarely, if ever, addressed topics of the day. That was Mr. Rogers' neighborhood and other shows. It started to, but that was later. 

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

That's fine, but you can't possibly know the content of movies unless you watch. No podcast or state of the industry article is going to give you that. You're telling me a grievance is wrongheaded without watching the material. You have no idea if those movies are expressly more political in plot, asides, message, or how politics manifest in art than older movies. You haven't seen them. It's impossible to comment, then, that it's the same as it ever was.

When did I say a grievance was wrongheaded??? 

I have no idea what you're saying here. That's not to point out a typo or bad edit, it's just that the analogy is a bit muddled at that point.

I follow the movie industry in a similar fashion to how we both follow fantasy football. I haven't seen the tape on all these college prospects but I am aware of their strengths, weaknesses, etc. I don't need to watch the MCU movies to understand the general state of movies, why people like MCU, why others don', etc. 

Actresses select scripts and have input in large-budget productions because of star power. Those two things lead me to believe that the politics are not incidental.

When did I say anything about politics being incidental? I said I don't care about the politics of the actress in a movie. 

Sesame Street did not address civil rights or political issues in its inception to people like me, facook, and identikit growing up. People remember the Bert and Ernie O. Henry sketch at Christmas, The Count counting, and the alphabet game. It didn't do social justice until the 90s, IIRC. If it was subversive in its first iterations at all, it was because it showed diverse characters in diverse settings. It rarely, if ever, addressed topics of the day. That was Mr. Rogers' neighborhood and other shows. It started to, but that was later. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/unmistakable-black-roots-sesame-street-180973490/

https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/the-civil-rights-rebels-that-created-sesame-street/

https://www.edutopia.org/article/how-sesame-streets-muppets-became-revolutionaries

https://americancentury.omeka.wlu.edu/exhibits/show/kidstv1970s/television-as-education/sesamestreet/race

12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

When did I say a grievance was wrongheaded???

You're saying the movies are the same as they always were in terms of political content and implying that therefore, the complaints about the political nature of the movies is wrong. You haven't seen the new ones. Ergo, it's impossible for you to comment on. You don't know what's in the new ones. I can't say that enough. We should be done with this and move on.

I follow the movie industry in a similar fashion to how we both follow fantasy football. I haven't seen the tape on all these college prospects but I am aware of their strengths, weaknesses, etc. I don't need to watch the MCU movies to understand the general state of movies, why people like MCU, why others don', etc.

That's not how I follow it. If I detailed how I followed it, it would be a lot more significant than second-hand stuff, I assure you.

I used to get GamePass and watch every play from a player I was interested in. That's about the most amount of effort you can put into a league-wide thing.

When did I say anything about politics being incidental? I said I don't care about the politics of the actress in a movie.

I thought you were intimating that the politics of an actress was incidental to her roles and how it manifest in the art. If you're saying you don't care about a movies' politics, then that's different.

Well, we'll see about the links. I don't remember this that way and seems slightly revisionist given the dates of the articles. That's not to deny that CPTV and co. weren't liberal in the seventies (gosh, no!) but that the emphasis may be a little different in retrospect in terms of what they could actually get on the air.

Edited by rockaction