What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeVonta Smith vs. Rashod Bateman (1 Viewer)

Rip517

Footballguy
Obviously the NFL team ultimately drafts them will play a factor.... Based on talent alone, which do you think will be the better fantasy player/pick? 

I like Bateman a lot. He came in a little smaller than expected but his game should transition nicely to the next level. I think it really comes down to if you think Smith’s weight is a factor or not. History is not kind to that position for those that weigh 170 and less. Bateman is a full year younger (minor factor). Landing spot is always a factor but Smith is someone I plan on avoiding due to my preference of size criteria. He may beat the odds, but the odds are stacked against him.

Talent alone, Devonata Smith has the superior skill set to compete against any other WR challenger.  Moves, hands, body control are superior to most.  But I am really struggling to see how he beats the physical press coverage at LOS against the more physical, heavier DBs in the NFL.  I don't see him winning many of those battles.  My opinion is that he must be used as a motion or slot WR to be used effectively.  I don't know if Bateman is that limited.   Again, it depends on where they are drafted and the OC scheme, but I am doubltful of Smith. 

Not many are going to stop Smith off the line IMO. And just put him in motion and that defeats hard press coverage. He reminds me so much of Marvin Harrison. Gonna be special if he can stay healthy which I believe he will.

Pre-draft I would rather trade up or down from 1.7, but if that isn't successful then it'd take needle moving action Thursday for me not to pick Smith.

Sorry I just don't see Smith overpowering the Press On-the-Line coverage like he did in college against far superior, physical defenders in the NFL.  He will never get off the line unless he is already in motion or from the slot.  The 200 lb DB will eat him alive at the line and never get the chance to show any wiggle or dazzle to escape.  Giving up 30 lb of muscle is not like a RB blocking a blitzing LB.  This is the smaller, elusive player having to physically escape a man stronger than him in a tight space where contact will be punishing.  

Pre-draft I would rather trade up or down from 1.7, but if that isn't successful then it'd take needle moving action Thursday for me not to pick Smith.
I agree... trading out of 1.07-8 is a wise decision.  Let somebody esle overpay for the tiny WR.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I just don't see Smith overpowering the Press On-the-Line coverage like he did in college against far superior, physical defenders in the NFL.  He will never get off the line unless he is already in motion or from the slot.  The 200 lb DB will eat him alive at the line and never get the chance to show any wiggle or dazzle to escape.  Giving up 30 lb of muscle is not like a RB blocking a blitzing LB.  This is the smaller, elusive player having to physically escape a man stronger than him in a tight space where contact will be punishing.  

I agree... trading out of 1.07-8 is a wise decision.  Let somebody esle overpay for the tiny WR.  
I disagree with you about Smith at the line.  Smith is absolutely the best at the line of scrimmage beating coverage and getting open.  No one has been more of a Smith critic than me, but you’re pointing out something you couldn’t be more wrong about.

I'm having a really hard time between these two, but I lean Bateman because I think he's more athletic than people are giving him credit for. He's a little light, too, but not light like Smith, who worries me for that reason plus his breakout age and target hog reasons. Bateman's also got a good backstory and seems to have a good head about him. Easy to cheer for. Smith might, too, it's just the media hasn't really concentrated ever on his personality. I like Bateman on screen just like I liked Higgins over Jeudy last year, and I'm not letting experts talk me out of what I see again if they're that close by consensus.

I disagree with you about Smith at the line.  Smith is absolutely the best at the line of scrimmage beating coverage and getting open.  No one has been more of a Smith critic than me, but you’re pointing out something you couldn’t be more wrong about.
Well, I appreciate the correction, but I am actually predicting what I believe will happen in the NFL.  Yes, in college, he could beat anybody anywhere.  The whole Bama offense was a dynamic juggernaut.  It was hard for any defense to contain all aspects when there are 5 potential 1st rounders .  But I am expressing my opinion that due to his small size/frame, I believe he will struggle at the line vs NFL starting DBs.  I think he will flourish when in motion or from the slot.  

I just think the 30+ lb of muscle he is yielding will cost him at the line of scrimmage....  in his rookie year.   (yes, I am qualifing my opinion).

Well, I appreciate the correction, but I am actually predicting what I believe will happen in the NFL.  Yes, in college, he could beat anybody anywhere.  The whole Bama offense was a dynamic juggernaut.  It was hard for any defense to contain all aspects when there are 5 potential 1st rounders .  But I am expressing my opinion that due to his small size/frame, I believe he will struggle at the line vs NFL starting DBs.  I think he will flourish when in motion or from the slot.  

I just think the 30+ lb of muscle he is yielding will cost him at the line of scrimmage....  in his rookie year.   (yes, I am qualifing my opinion).
What does this mean?  Most rookie WRs don't do much.  There are always the Jefferson's of the world but almost all rookie WRs are putting up less than 1000 yards.  Do you think he'll put up less than 500?

Talent wise it's Bateman easily for me. Smith is only talented because he's light and played 4 years. Bateman is way more impressive, just compare 2018 of each and 2019 of each. Bateman hands down. 

Talent wise it's Bateman easily for me. Smith is only talented because he's light and played 4 years. Bateman is way more impressive, just compare 2018 of each and 2019 of each. Bateman hands down. 
I don't think there is any question both Bateman and Marshall are more talented than Smith. Will they harness that talent though.

I don't think there is any question both Bateman and Marshall are more talented than Smith. Will they harness that talent though.
Well, you're half right. ;)

:homer:  Smith is by far more talented.

(Ok, not really by far)

I would alter this slightly to say that Bateman and Marshall have more upside, but not necessarily more talent.

I rank Smith one spot higher, but I wouldn't trade Bateman for Smith.  I know that sounds weird, but...

I rank Smith one spot higher, but I wouldn't trade Bateman for Smith.  I know that sounds weird, but...
I get it. 

I love Smith's game.  But I don't know if I'll draft him in any dynasty league unless he falls. (I did take him in best ball redraft)

-OZ- said:
I get it. 

I love Smith's game.  But I don't know if I'll draft him in any dynasty league unless he falls. (I did take him in best ball redraft)
I would definitely take him in the top 8 unless it was between Smith and Lawrence and i needed a QB more than a WR.  I would take him at 1.9 regardless, but he will go much sooner than that.

Users who are viewing this thread