What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Butt Back To The Office (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/27/tensions-rise-as-return-to-work-plans-gain-steam.html

The back half of this year will be interesting.  I think the prevailing thought here (FFA) last year was that we were going to see a huge shift permanently to WFH and companies shuttering offices.  I'm reading more and more articles that are saying that we'll trend back more towards how unemployment used to be rather than WFH being the new normal.  Given the demographics here I suspect we'll have more WFH folks.  It's going to be interesting to see how employers address the push back they get from their employees.

I have WFH for the last 6 years and have no interest in going back into any type of office environment.  But I know several people who miss the social aspect of the work place.  Many of them hate WFH for various reasons.  I'm sure some want to get back to normal and some will want to stay WFH.   

Personally, I don't anticipate going back as I'm fairly close to second retirement.  Agree it should be interesting how things play out with employers.

My problem with returning to the office has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with there being no reason for me to commute in to sit at a desk 80% of the time.  I can do that from my home.  I realize not everyone is that fortunate and there's valid reasons for some face to face meetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our company is doing a permanent 2 day work at office, Wednesday is flex, and then the other 2 days are work from home.

For example starting next month I will be working Monday/Tuesday, then on Wednesday if I need to have a meeting with marketing or R&D for example I can go into the office to meet with them and then Thursday/Friday I will be working from home.

The downside is that I will be sharing my office with someone from marketing. I am unsure how they will work that out yet. They get some lockable drawers and I get others? What about setting up of monitors, keyboards, etc.

Will be a learning curve, but i like it.

My client (I'm a consultant) was trending toward wfh before the pandemic so I have at least 4 more years (the remainder of the contract) of 1 day in the office and wfh the other 4 days each and every week. All good for me.  :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm starting to see this too.   Our CEO is highly frustrated that our offices aren't partially opened up yet, and he's vocally concerned that people won't want to come back to the office.  Flip side, we have a large share of colleagues who have expressed a desire to keep working from home 3-4 days a week, particularly in cities with crappy commutes.   Pre-pandemic I had already scaled it back to 1 day/week in our Chicago office (am often traveling to other states 1-2 or 2-3 days per week), and can't really imagine a scenario where I ever go to an office 5x per week.

My problem with returning to the office has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with there being no reason for me to commute in to sit at a desk 80% of the time.  I can do that from my home.  I realize not everyone is that fortunate and there's valid reasons for some fact to face meetings.
This. Our building isc12 miles from home. It takes us an hour-fifteen minutes each way. There is nothing that we do that cant be done from home. It seems environmentally irresponsible to make that drive everyday. 

My office is 1 mile from my house and I ride my bike to and from work most days.  Working from home was exciting at first, but I soon missed the office atmosphere and found that a lot of things went unresolved.  I also found the line between work and home got blurry, and my mental well being demands that they be separated as much as possible. I still like having it as an option, but given my easy commute, it makes sense for me to have a dedicated office.   

Our company just sent a note out with a mid-May date target for all employees to return to the office.  We all figured this was coming eventually, but I thought they'd at least tie the timing to re-start of the school year.  Gonna be interesting to see what the blow back looks like for those more entrenched in the WFH camp.  Context - the company owns the office facilities, isn't a commercial lease situation.

That poll didn't really specify that the 70% of companies looking to reinsert their staff want everyone back.  

Are 70% of companies really not interested in lowering their commercial rent bill? 
been taking some work-related courses lately. one of them covers introverts vs. extroverts. 

basically it's trying to pump up the idea that introverts actually can be corporate execs. that just because someone is extroverted doesn't automatically make them leadership material.

it goes on to throw out some ridiculously high percentage of high level executives polled believe themselves to be extroverts. 

extroverts need people around them.  if people are working from home, they aren't in the office. how can a decision-making extrovert survive without people around all the time? 

who cares about costs and expenditures if savings means draining their need for human interaction? might as well not be in charge anymore if you can't be around the people you are in charge of.

We are currently being encouraged to try in coming into the office as we've been WFH since mid-March last year.  

Current talk we've been told has been we'll be much more frequent WFH in the future but there will be meetings/days/assignments which will need to be performed in the office.  We'll also get a 6-week notice before office attendance is required.  

I have a feeling management of this 'flexible' policy is going to be a nightmare, luckily I have great direct management.

I told my supervisor that if full time WFH isn't an option come July, when we are scheduled back in, I'll be looking for another position.

I'm 100% fine with coming into the office once every one or two weeks, or if there is an important stakeholder meeting. But I'm not doing >=3 days in the office again.

That poll didn't really specify that the 70% of companies looking to reinsert their staff want everyone back.  

Are 70% of companies really not interested in lowering their commercial rent bill? 
It's not that simple as I'd guess most companies are locked into long term leases.  If they aren't it's not has easy as telling the landlord to cut my space in half, it likely would involve a move into a new, smaller space.  

I was dragged back kicking and screaming in Sept. Then given no raise in January,  

Anybody hiring a buyer/purchasing?   

I told my supervisor that if full time WFH isn't an option come July, when we are scheduled back in, I'll be looking for another position.

I'm 100% fine with coming into the office once every one or two weeks, or if there is an important stakeholder meeting. But I'm not doing >=3 days in the office again.
Good for you, 

I started WFH a few years before the pandemic and if going back into the office were still on the table this is how I would feel as well.

For my 9am start time I would wake up around 7am to go into the office.  WFH I wake up around 8:45am.  That's not including the time saved on the back end at the end of the day.

An extra 2-3 hours per day of free time to either sleep or be with family is massive.  My job was software dev so WFH obviously just as good as in the office.  If I were at a job that were trying to get me to come back into the office more than 1 day a week at this point I would tell them to shove it.

Oh, and I get to use my own bathroom and will get sick less often from the people that come into the office with colds?  Yes please.

I was dragged back kicking and screaming in Sept. Then given no raise in January,  

Anybody hiring a buyer/purchasing?   
Similar thing with me. We went home in March (outbreak of covid at work) only to be dragged back kicking and screaming in May. Worked onsite from May until November (second outbreak of covid at work) only to be dragged back on February 1st. Kicker of it all? When I came back in February I spent most of my days on Teams meetings with our vendors and other team members of our company. So I HAD to come back onsite to have virtual meetings.  :wall:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/27/tensions-rise-as-return-to-work-plans-gain-steam.html

The back half of this year will be interesting.  I think the prevailing thought here (FFA) last year was that we were going to see a huge shift permanently to WFH and companies shuttering offices.  I'm reading more and more articles that are saying that we'll trend back more towards how unemployment used to be rather than WFH being the new normal.  Given the demographics here I suspect we'll have more WFH folks.  It's going to be interesting to see how employers address the push back they get from their employees.
I would rather work from a Kazakh prison cell than work from my home.  That sounds god awful.

I work in an expensive building in San Francisco.  I wasn't even asked if I wanted to have a permanent desk when the office reopens.  Just assigned to flex, I can come in when I want.

I may go in 1-2 days a week but that's just because I don't mind the office. 

Yeah, I had thought I would barely be going into the office later this year but its sounding more and more like they want us in the office due to tax breaks and incentives by the government to get workers back into the city. Im guessing Ill be in the office 3 days a week.

We were home for about 6 weeks last March-May ish of 2020.  Back ever since.  Big oil, corporate office in south Texas for reference.

Working from the office makes me less productive. 

It's not just the commute, lunch, coffee breaks, etc

The money I waste on gas, parking, wear and tear on my car, maybe tolls are all a big deal too.

But just in terms of work, unless everyone on my team is in my office, I still have to use zoom/slack or whatever tools you guys use to have my meeting.  Have you ever run a meeting where half the people are on zoom and the other half are in a physical room together?  It sucks.  You'll end up with everyone on zoom. 

If i want to talk to a coworker I have to feign interest in their lives instead of just sending them an instant message with a question. Oh really how was the trip to the lake that sounds amazing oh good you have pictures sure show them to me why not. 

I definitely understand why some people want to get out of their houses or simulate a social life but your personal needs are not my problem.  Its bad enough that you're extracting profit margin from my company by demanding office space but by making me come in you force me to buy a category of clothes called business casual that I would prefer not to own any of. Just let me work from home and you can have your family hating club meetings in an office without me. 

Yeah, I had thought I would barely be going into the office later this year but its sounding more and more like they want us in the office due to tax breaks and incentives by the government to get workers back into the city. Im guessing Ill be in the office 3 days a week.
Interesting leverage.

Working from the office makes me less productive. 

It's not just the commute, lunch, coffee breaks, etc

The money I waste on gas, parking, wear and tear on my car, maybe tolls are all a big deal too.

But just in terms of work, unless everyone on my team is in my office, I still have to use zoom/slack or whatever tools you guys use to have my meeting.  Have you ever run a meeting where half the people are on zoom and the other half are in a physical room together?  It sucks.  You'll end up with everyone on zoom. 

If i want to talk to a coworker I have to feign interest in their lives instead of just sending them an instant message with a question. Oh really how was the trip to the lake that sounds amazing oh good you have pictures sure show them to me why not. 

I definitely understand why some people want to get out of their houses or simulate a social life but your personal needs are not my problem.  Its bad enough that you're extracting profit margin from my company by demanding office space but by making me come in you force me to buy a category of clothes called business casual that I would prefer not to own any of. Just let me work from home and you can have your family hating club meetings in an office without me. 
You say that now, but lean and mean BFred will be wanting to strut his stuff in 6 months.

Get your butt to the office.

I don't want to, you can't make me.

It's shaping up to be a battle between the Haves Office Space and the Hags Not.

Communication is a problem where I work, so for that purpose I intend to work at the office more frequently starting in fall. My being here is how I learn about what's going on and where I may be able to help. I'll be disappointed if my request to WFH part time is denied though. I'm more productive doing my actual work at home. It's just that I can complete all of that in about 10 hours most weeks, so I don't want to be there more than 2-3 days per week.

One thing I have discovered filling in for my former bookkeeper who was work from home is that 45 hours a week and me needing to hire her an assistant is really 30 hours a week, laundry, shopping, and hair appointments.

We got an email just yesterday morning that outlined the plan to get people back in the office. It opened the door (figuratively and literally) for people to start coming back in immediately with a semi-mandate to be back in the office fully by July 4th. I'll probably continue to WFH at least 1 day a week forever, maybe 2. But I'm also ready to go back - actually have been back in the office 1 or 2 days a week the last few weeks (sitting at my desk eating lunch as I type...). 

been taking some work-related courses lately. one of them covers introverts vs. extroverts. 

basically it's trying to pump up the idea that introverts actually can be corporate execs. that just because someone is extroverted doesn't automatically make them leadership material.

it goes on to throw out some ridiculously high percentage of high level executives polled believe themselves to be extroverts. 

extroverts need people around them.  if people are working from home, they aren't in the office. how can a decision-making extrovert survive without people around all the time? 

who cares about costs and expenditures if savings means draining their need for human interaction? might as well not be in charge anymore if you can't be around the people you are in charge of.
There's actually a lot to this.  Apparently, C-suite individuals have their "productivity" go down in the WFH environment since the "office" forces them to be productive.  Essentially, top-down responsibilities still flow down (and in most cases much more in WFH) while bottom-up which are much looser have flagged.  It's why most WFH people think they're working longer and harder while executives think productivity is down. 

Commercial real estate owners are certainly invested in people returning to the office ASAP 

Them and alot of local eateries. 
All these office buildings will be modern day rust belts at some point. Their only hope is to convert into condos
All of the industries supporting the people who go in to an office- from transportation (public and private), to outside food, to related support structure,and of course the real estate itself...all of it and the many, many people who don't work from home...pretty devastated.

I'm in nyc where it's readily apparent in tons of closed store fronts- not just restaurants.

Will be interesting to see how things return or shift.

I know in my industry (architecture), a lot of people are happy and successfully working from home (either as employees or running their own businesses). And while some it is head down, crank stuff out, I find the work and need for visual and tactile collaboration to be mostly too difficult to be done remotely and prefer an office set up.

My company still has no concrete plans for office vs. WFH post-pandemic. Most of us can do our job from anywhere as long as we have our laptop and a VPN. At first, only the people who absolutely had to be in the office were. Over time, a few more people came back to the office for some or all of their days, because they didn't like or had technical issues with WFH. One guy from my department goes in most days because his wife is a piano teacher and the lessons are at their house. But most of us are still all WFH. And many of the new hires since the pandemic began -- including someone on my team -- are from outside the local area and will never be office-based. The company owns its property so rent/lease arrangements are not an issue. I'd be happy to stay WFH except when my presence at the office was required, but we've gotten no signal yet what the post-pandemic office situation will be. 

We got an email just yesterday morning that outlined the plan to get people back in the office. It opened the door (figuratively and literally) for people to start coming back in immediately with a semi-mandate to be back in the office fully by July 4th. I'll probably continue to WFH at least 1 day a week forever, maybe 2. But I'm also ready to go back - actually have been back in the office 1 or 2 days a week the last few weeks (sitting at my desk eating lunch as I type...). 
What better way to celebrate Independence Day than by spending your only long weekend of the summer dreading going back to the office on Tuesday.  It's just a total jerk move. 

I have been WFH since March of last year. I simply don't want to go back--plain and simple. I mean, there are certain things that I NEED to physically be there for,, but for the most part, I can do my job from home and via Webex. I know the push is coming next month for us all to be back, but I just don't see the point.  I seriously thought of retiring--I am close, but I really wanted to go for another year and a half before calling it quits. Darn insurance is the sticking point. 

Wife and I have both WFH for the past year. Looks like that will continue for the most part into the future. Maybe an occasional office trip for a meeting. Our employer (same company) is pushing for alot of corporate/support employees to stay at home and they will save alot of money on building space.

Users who are viewing this thread