What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden Targets Black Americans....again (1 Viewer)

Targeting them?  I dont think that means what you think it means.
Once again....didn't even look at the link where, "Targeted at Black Americans" was in the headline...and it is obvious  that you've never known many black smokers.

They're going to be really happy about this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Always an interesting debate - where is the line on where government can curtail our freedoms?  NY tried this with sugary drinks and it was a dud.  Now we have the admin outright banning a product.  While the government certainly has a place in deciding what can and can't be consumed (schedule 1 drugs being a prime example), I'm not sure if this kind of curtailment of free will is appropriate here.  If we agree that adults over 18 have agency and the product is not on a legal proscribed list (ie. schedule 1, etc.) I don't see that we need big brother telling adults that they can't consume this.

Reminds me of stevia, which was essentially on the no-no list for forever because business interests didn't want to compete with it - under the guise of "health detriment to users".  We see that was all BS once business decided it was a good thing to sell.  Same deal for MJ and absinth; those two were pushed aside by alcohol interests.  One of them is now recovering, but it has been quite the long road.  Absinthe is still essentially proscribed. 

(I also regard the whole "targeting of this population for this product" to be a specious argument.  As long as we're talking adults, we trust said adults to have rights and freedoms.  If they choose to listen to an ad and engage in unhealthy behavior that's a simple product of their free will and their personal responsibility for their own behavior.)

Always an interesting debate - where is the line on where government can curtail our freedoms?  NY tried this with sugary drinks and it was a dud.  Now we have the admin outright banning a product.  While the government certainly has a place in deciding what can and can't be consumed (schedule 1 drugs being a prime example), I'm not sure if this kind of curtailment of free will is appropriate here.  If we agree that adults over 18 have agency and the product is not on a legal proscribed list (ie. schedule 1, etc.) I don't see that we need big brother telling adults that they can't consume this.

Reminds me of stevia, which was essentially on the no-no list for forever because business interests didn't want to compete with it - under the guise of "health detriment to users".  We see that was all BS once business decided it was a good thing to sell.  Same deal for MJ and absinth; those two were pushed aside by alcohol interests.  One of them is now recovering, but it has been quite the long road.  Absinthe is still essentially proscribed. 

(I also regard the whole "targeting of this population for this product" to be a specious argument.  As long as we're talking adults, we trust said adults to have rights and freedoms.  If they choose to listen to an ad and engage in unhealthy behavior that's a simple product of their free will and their personal responsibility for their own behavior.)
Soda tax type ideas anger me. If we lifted cane tariffs and quit handing out corn subsidies we wouldn’t have high fructose corn syrup in everything and wouldn’t be so fat as a nation. 

I agree completely.  sidenote:  just seems to be one side of the political spectrum that  think they know what  is best for you.

So....what if Biden targeted 40 oz malt liquor?

Would you view it as targeting an individual group like targeting menthol cigarettes?

Biden in 2007 on Obama:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

woofta

Once again....didn't even look at the link where, "Targeted at Black Americans" was in the headline...and it is obvious  that you've never known many black smokers.

Yes. Menthol cigarettes were...that isnt Biden targeting them.

Understand they are terrible for people and high rates of smoking related cancers among African Americans 

Not liking this one bit. Biden has mostly been a pleasant surprise so far, but stuff like this, or his statements about the Chauvin trial before the verdict came in... SMH. Seems he's overstepping some boundaries here.

ETA: To clarify, I'm talking about the ban on menthol cigs, not Biden "targeting black Americans again."  :rolleyes:

Not liking this one bit. Biden has mostly been a pleasant surprise so far, but stuff like this, or his statements about the Chauvin trial before the verdict came in... SMH. Seems he's overstepping some boundaries here.
So what if he does overstep boundaries.   It will be forgotten quickly since the liberal NSM will give him a pass.  This is the danger of the liberal MSM.  

So what if he does overstep boundaries.   It will be forgotten quickly since the liberal NSM will give him a pass.  This is the danger of the liberal MSM.  
Uh huh. I mean just look at the free pass those liberal hacks at the NYT are giving Gov. Cuomo... barely covering the story.  :rolleyes:

The majority of Black Americans who smoke use menthol cigarettes, according to the CDC, and a majority who started smoking began using menthol cigarettes. The product is more addictive than cigarettes without menthol, studies show, and has a cooling effect in the body.
The majority of Black Americans who smoke use menthol cigarettes, according to the CDC, and a majority who started smoking began using menthol cigarettes. The product is more addictive than cigarettes without menthol, studies show, and has a cooling effect in the body.
Researchers have long known about the disparities in menthol cigarette use and its harmful effects on Black communities – and they’ve long regarded it as a pediatric issue: Among Black teenagers ages 12 to 17 who used tobacco, 71% smoked menthol, according to the CDC.
All quotes from the article posted by the OP

That would also be targeting a product. 
No...it is targeting a section of a product....
Biden isn't targeting tobacco...just the menthol section of it...the section which blacks favor over the other sections of that product.

You would defend him attacking 40oz malt liquor over the entire alcohol industry?

He has a racist history...why even attempt to defend him?
oh....church doctrine requires it....I know.

I seriously doubt that Biden can even boogie underwater and not get wet.

Give me a good ale, stout, porter, or sour over an IPA any day.

:banned:
Exactly..throw in a good Kolsch or very hazy Heif in the heat and Im a happy camper.  If we could cut in half the IPAs and 1/4 of the seltzers...we can take back over the beer aisle.

Next...get rid of the wannabe bourbon experts driving up the prices and making the good stuff scarce....and my drinking world will be great again.

It’s a bad idea. This is the side of liberalism that I really dislike- the assumption that we need to protect the consumer from himself. 

But it’s not an issue that would ever cause me to vote either for or against a candidate. It’s too far down the list for me. And I don’t believe in slippery slopes. 

Why is it so easy for the right to see the shallow smokescreen connecting menthols to the AA culture, but when it comes to voting rights, their deduction skills completely leave them?

Why is it so easy for the right to see the shallow smokescreen connecting menthols to the AA culture, but when it comes to voting rights, their deduction skills completely leave them?
The right doesn't think African Americans should have a right to vote?  That seems pretty ignorant and flat wrong.

No...it is targeting a section of a product....
Biden isn't targeting tobacco...just the menthol section of it...the section which blacks favor over the other sections of that product.

You would defend him attacking 40oz malt liquor over the entire alcohol industry?

He has a racist history...why even attempt to defend him?
oh....church doctrine requires it....I know.

I seriously doubt that Biden can even boogie underwater and not get wet.
This citizens petition in 2013 is where this originated: LINK

FDA has been banning flavored types of tobacco for awhile. Trump's FDA banned flavored vapes. Seems your problem would be with the banning of these flavored type of tobacco / vape products as opposed to Biden's FDA banning menthol.

Trump's FDA banned flavored vapes. 
This was based on minors using these products.  That we don't want and folks of all political stripes agree that minors need limits and protections (from themselves, sometimes). 

Menthols have to do with the choices of adults.  That is a very different discussion.

If Biden wants to do this with any consistency he should push for a law that makes tobacco a schedule 1/schedule 2 drug and be done with it.  What's good for one is good for all.

This was based on minors using these products.  That we don't want and folks of all political stripes agree that minors need limits and protections (from themselves, sometimes). 

Menthols have to do with the choices of adults.  That is a very different discussion.

If Biden wants to do this with any consistency he should push for a law that makes tobacco a schedule 1/schedule 2 drug and be done with it.  What's good for one is good for all.
That petition I linked (fixed the link) says they want menthol added to the ban from 2009 of flavored smokes. Says that this flavor targets young people.

I’m fairly certain if Biden was on this board and connected black people and menthol cigarettes he would get reported dozens of times and probably a vacation.  

Exactly..throw in a good Kolsch or very hazy Heif in the heat and Im a happy camper.  If we could cut in half the IPAs and 1/4 of the seltzers...we can take back over the beer aisle.

Next...get rid of the wannabe bourbon experts driving up the prices and making the good stuff scarce....and my drinking world will be great again.
It's good to see your approach to beer is the same as your polotics. Rather than give people freedom you want to force your beliefs on others. 

Personally I think all hefeweizen is  :X  but in my country youre free to enjoy what you like. 

It's good to see your approach to beer is the same as your polotics. Rather than give people freedom you want to force your beliefs on others. 

Personally I think all hefeweizen is  :X  but in my country youre free to enjoy what you like. 
Totally what i was saying...forcing things on others.

Non-IPA people...you just have to give in. They are easy to make and have high ABV. I too was an anti-IPAist but gave up the struggle.

I suggest a Hazy's as a gateway.

I mentioned this stock in the penny stocks thread a few months ago. It's about to double since then and has room to go higher: XXII (they've patented 0 nicotine tobacco).

And really, if you haven't smoked a pack of Kool and opened it from the bottom you should not be posting here.

Hazy Hefeweizen is the Zima of beers.  Do you take fruit with yours?

ROTFLMAO

Wow, is that really all you can drum up against President Biden? Really reaching to find something to stoke the fire and not finding much. Oh well, you can always say Ms. Harris has not been to the border to further flame on.

I must say, it is really nice to not have to scour the news everyday to keep an eye on presidential things. Trust is good and I'm trusting the current Pres.

Great first 100 days Mr. President! Keep it up!

Hazy Hefeweizen is the Zima of beers.  Do you take fruit with yours?
IPAs are the Kale of beer.  Overrated hipster crap that got hyped into being popular.  I dont think most IPA drinkers even like it.

And hell yes an orange slide in a good Hef on a summer day is refreshing as can be.

That petition I linked (fixed the link) says they want menthol added to the ban from 2009 of flavored smokes. Says that this flavor targets young people.
Young people and African Americans are more likely to smoke menthol cigarettes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 54% of smokers ages 12-17 use menthol, and 7 in 10 African American smokers in that age group smoke menthol cigarettes. Non-Hispanic Black adults smoke the most menthol cigarettes, the CDC says. 
From the article linked in the OP

Goodness knows I like some stuff that should probably be banned (Necco Wafers, I'm looking at you. :wub: )

Users who are viewing this thread