What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Darrisaw please!

Wouldn't hate Bateman or E. Moore.

Edit: Or Tevin Jenkins
Yes! I dislike Spielman just a little less now!
From what I read on the OL talent I was a little worried about Darrisaw’s lack of finishing and mean streak.

Bradbury gets pushed back easily and I’d just like to see them get after it rather than worrying about getting to the second level. Spielman usually likes players who love football but does Darrisaw? I hope so.

We all wanted extra early picks and Rick will likely package a few to get a 2nd. I hope it was worth it. AVT was right there.  If Darrisaw is just as good or better then this was a HR. 

:goodposting:

I've been beating this drumhead for about two months now. You take a RB for his first 4-5 years. Who cares if it's from age 21-25 or if it's 23-27? Especially when he hasn't been overused in college. 
I did some research on this and I do think there is some advantage for a RB to be younger coming into the NFL. 

I think you mainly should be wary of the 24-25 year old rookie RB as the success rate for them is a lot smaller although there have been some such as David Johnson.

Well of course. And certainly they know more than me, but teams overthink things and make bad picks all the time. For your sake I hope that isn’t the case but that pick and Fields falling to 11 is crazy to me. We’ll see. 
This could shed some light on the decision: 

“Lance was also the lone prospect among the top five quarterbacks to spend any meaningful amount of time playing under center and running many of the play-action concepts the 49ers like to employ consistently, which could help him adapt more quickly to Shanahan's offense.” 

Would have picked Fields. Corners are valuable, and they probably picked a good one, but the real position of value is the QB, and he was rated #2 by a whole, whole lot of people. So for that reason alone, I don't like the pick. 
Thanks for the reply.  But if there's any truth to the Rodgers rumors, SurII was the play there.  A tackle would've been good, but I don't think there was near the certainty at that position, after Penei was gone.  And they obviously weren't totally convinced on Parsons.

What happened to NFL teams don't take RB's in the 1st round...........
They dont unless the RB are really good and according to draft capital invested Harris and ETN are higher picks than any 2020 RB.

I will have to let that settle in for a bit.

People saying it was dumb for them to not come out last year are seeing their risk being rewarded by the NFL in this draft.

In the just completed interview, Shanahan said they liked and studied 2 QBs - he didn't say who the other one was. I guess Mac Jones. 

Thanks for the reply.  But if there's any truth to the Rodgers rumors, SurII was the play there.  A tackle would've been good, but I don't think there was near the certainty at that position, after Penei was gone.  And they obviously weren't totally convinced on Parsons.
That is a real pipe dream there.

At this point, anyways.

Sure he could be traded.

Sure he could go to the team you want.

Or he could stay in Green Bay.

This could shed some light on the decision: 

“Lance was also the lone prospect among the top five quarterbacks to spend any meaningful amount of time playing under center and running many of the play-action concepts the 49ers like to employ consistently, which could help him adapt more quickly to Shanahan's offense.” 
You really think the amount of time under center tipped the scales when deciding on picking the most talented QB?  You're buying that stuff??

The trade for Bridgewater sealed it for me that they wanted someone to push Lock but not outright replace him (yet.) They got a good corner but I think they would have been better served taking the deal that the Giants got from the Bears.

Really love what the Ravens are doing. Kinda think they are the biggest winners of round 1. A legit #1 WR, and a potential stud pass rusher, who goes to possibly the best team to be coached up by. Kinda nervous we'll look back in a couple years, and wonder how a guy with Oweh's athleticism fell to the end of round 1, just because of a silly lack of sack totals. I'd rather have him than Orlando Brown going forward, let alone saving 15 or so million to do so.

Really hated both RB picks. Jags had like 3 positions that they didn't need, so of course they spent a 1st at one of them. Harris just isn't anything special in my eyes, and is likely going to a worse offensive line than the one he played behind at Bama, and that's before factoring in NFL level defenses. Yes, I'm saying a college team has a better OL than an NFL team.

Thought Stokes and Tryon were both kinda bad picks. Stokes over Samuel is very puzzling to me. Other than Savage, Green Bay has been pretty awful in round 1 these last 3 years. Tryon over Ojulari and Basham surprised me as well. 

Really surprised that Barmore and Moehrig didn't go in round 1, and JOK to a lesser extent. No DT's or S's at all. Really weird, especially with clear cut top guys. So great players at the top of round 2 available. 

Vikings did a great job trading down and still getting arguably the guy they should have taken had they stayed put. 

As of right now the dynasty 1.1 for me is Kyle Pitts. Perfect blend of talent, role, and situation. 1.2 is up for grabs still, I'm leaning Javonte Williams if he ends up with the Jets, Falcons, or Dolphins. Etienne probably takes the biggest hit to his predraft value, not sure he gets the starting job at all, and its possible he and Robinson is just a headache going forward.

Lastly, I think the Bears nailed it getting Fields and the Pats did too staying put and getting Jones. 49ers look kind of foolish trading up to 3 in my opinion, as they likely could have stayed put and still gotten as good a guy. That said, they at least got someone they clearly liked.

That is a real pipe dream there.

At this point, anyways.

Sure he could be traded.

Sure he could go to the team you want.

Or he could stay in Green Bay.
Huh?  I'm a Chargers fan, and I LOVE our pick btw.

I'm just fascinated by the Rodgers story is all -- ever since Jordan Love was taken, really, but especially now.  Add in the fact that super connected FBG Lammey re-tweeted it out to the world, I'm thinking there may be a little more smoke coming from that pipe dream you talked about.

Huh?  I'm a Chargers fan, and I LOVE our pick btw.

I'm just fascinated by the Rodgers story is all -- ever since Jordan Love was taken, really, but especially now.  Add in the fact that super connected FBG Lammey re-tweeted it out to the world, I'm thinking there may be a little more smoke coming from that pipe dream you talked about.
Lammey.

If I had a $ for every time...

The trade for Bridgewater sealed it for me that they wanted someone to push Lock but not outright replace him (yet.) They got a good corner but I think they would have been better served taking the deal that the Giants got from the Bears.
Fair enough.  And I very much respect your opinion.

They dont unless the RB are really good and according to draft capital invested Harris and ETN are higher picks than any 2020 RB.

I will have to let that settle in for a bit.

People saying it was dumb for them to not come out last year are seeing their risk being rewarded by the NFL in this draft.
Was it though? Is it worth being a late first rounder a year later? If either comes out last year and falls to 2nd, they're looking at free agency/tag after 2023 season.

By waiting a year and drafting in 1st round, not onky is it a year later but first rounders can get 5tb year option

In the just completed interview, Shanahan said they liked and studied 2 QBs - he didn't say who the other one was. I guess Mac Jones. 
I’m going with Lance vs Fields. I don’t think Mac Jones was ever in the conversation, and never have believed that. 

What happened to NFL teams don't take RB's in the 1st round...........
Smart ones don't. 

This is the Jonathan Taylor/Marlon Mack situation all over again.

Bet on the talent.
I mean if James Robinson tears his Achilles week 1, then sure. It probably would have happened anyway, but Taylor had a ton go right for him, that likely won't for Etienne. Elite OL, QB who stays in the pocket, etc. Taylor was also a better talent than Etienne, and Robinson probably is/was better than Mack as well.

I'm on team stay away right now. 

Etienne probably takes the biggest hit to his predraft value, not sure he gets the starting job at all, and its possible he and Robinson is just a headache going forward.
already came out and tabbed Etienne the 3rd down back. RBBC ruining a lot of Robinson’s PPR stock.

From what I read on the OL talent I was a little worried about Darrisaw’s lack of finishing and mean streak.

Bradbury gets pushed back easily and I’d just like to see them get after it rather than worrying about getting to the second level. Spielman usually likes players who love football but does Darrisaw? I hope so.

We all wanted extra early picks and Rick will likely package a few to get a 2nd. I hope it was worth it. AVT was right there.  If Darrisaw is just as good or better then this was a HR. 
Where did you read that? I have heard the opposite in regards to Darrisaw and seen examples of him finishing strong and being relentless but there may be other opinions.

I wanted him more than the guy the Jets took.

Was it though? Is it worth being a late first rounder a year later? If either comes out last year and falls to 2nd, they're looking at free agency/tag after 2023 season.

By waiting a year and drafting in 1st round, not onky is it a year later but first rounders can get 5tb year option
Was wondering the same, quantitatively someone’s got be able to figure out the difference in money in various scenarios between late 1st salary vs mid-2nd, and then factor in franchise tag vs 5th year option. Ultimately the most $ is made in the 2nd contract (unless you bust) so I would think getting to that 2nd contract faster would have been the better play. Unless the motivation was the most guaranteed $ up front as possible.

Or I guess we could still debate the merits of their decision.

There would be nothing to talk about if they had been 2nd round picks in the 2021 draft.

Was wondering the same, quantitatively someone’s got be able to figure out the difference in money in various scenarios between late 1st salary vs mid-2nd, and then factor in franchise tag vs 5th year option. Ultimately the most $ is made in the 2nd contract (unless you bust) so I would think getting to that 2nd contract faster would have been the better play. Unless the motivation was the most guaranteed $ up front as possible.
I'm not sure what the right answer is, but a big 2nd contract is probably completely off the table now for Harris. 

If he's good enough to get a big contract his 5th year option will be picked up, and if his 5th year option gets picked up he will be 28 by the time it's over, and it's unlikely any 28 year old RB is getting a big contract in this day and age. 

Smart ones don't. 

I mean if James Robinson tears his Achilles week 1, then sure. It probably would have happened anyway, but Taylor had a ton go right for him, that likely won't for Etienne. Elite OL, QB who stays in the pocket, etc. Taylor was also a better talent than Etienne, and Robinson probably is/was better than Mack as well.

I'm on team stay away right now. 
You seem more certain about this than I am. I think both RB are very good and too close to call. I thought Taylor was worthy of a 1st round pick.

The NFL draft tells me that ETN was valued more than Taylor was although that is easily dismissed by the team and coach selecting him I suppose.

You seem more certain about this than I am. I think both RB are very good and too close to call. I thought Taylor was worthy of a 1st round pick.

The NFL draft tells me that ETN was valued more than Taylor was although that is easily dismissed by the team and coach selecting him I suppose.
I don't feel either was worth a 1st round pick. RB's are only worthy of 1sts if they are truly elite talents. There are 5 in the NFL right now in my opinion. CMC, Chubb, Cook, Kamara, and Henry, and even then Henry(and probably Kamara) is somewhat situation dependent. Barkley was probably on the list too, before his ACL tear, though he was a reach at #2 to me as well.

I really hated a team that has a solid RB in Robinson, and an ok backup in Hyde, taking a RB in round 1, when they have holes all over. Also, Robinson, despite being an undrafted FA, played well at the NFL level, and I doubt he'll be cast aside easily. 

I am actually pretty concerned about Urban Meyer's tenure. I was very unimpressed by what then Jags did with the league's most cap space, and I'm unimpressed by this 1st round, not counting Lawrence who anyone would have taken at #1.

I don't feel either was worth a 1st round pick. RB's are only worthy of 1sts if they are truly elite talents. There are 5 in the NFL right now in my opinion. CMC, Chubb, Cook, Kamara, and Henry, and even then Henry(and probably Kamara) is somewhat situation dependent. Barkley was probably on the list too, before his ACL tear, though he was a reach at #2 to me as well.

I really hated a team that has a solid RB in Robinson, and an ok backup in Hyde, taking a RB in round 1, when they have holes all over. Also, Robinson, despite being an undrafted FA, played well at the NFL level, and I doubt he'll be cast aside easily. 

I am actually pretty concerned about Urban Meyer's tenure. I was very unimpressed by what then Jags did with the league's most cap space, and I'm unimpressed by this 1st round, not counting Lawrence who anyone would have taken at #1.
I guess we differ a bit on our opinions of their talent level. I am not part of the never draft a RB in the 1st round crowd though.

I have a harder time with Harris being a elite talent than I do ETN or Taylor who check all the boxes for me.

I totally agree with your point about priorities of the Jaguars regarding this and from that perspective they should have picked a player at a different position.

Urban Myer has no NFL track record to consider here so that adds uncertainty about ETN.

I'd say that the biggest mistakes of round 1 were the Cowboys, Broncos, and Panthers not taking the Bears' offer to trade down. Pick 20 plus a 2022 1st is worth more than any of these corners or LBs (and CHI also gave pick 164 plus a 2022 4th).

Actually, the Eagles too. It would've been beautifully if they'd trade down from 10 to 20 for a 1st plus, right after giving up just a 3rd to go from 12 to 10. Could've had both the MIA & CHI 2022 1sts by weaseling their way into a couple of other trades, plus say Rashod Bateman or Caleb Farley.

I'd say that the biggest mistakes of round 1 were the Cowboys, Broncos, and Panthers not taking the Bears' offer to trade down. Pick 20 plus a 2022 1st is worth more than any of these corners or LBs (and CHI also gave pick 164 plus a 2022 4th).

Actually, the Eagles too. It would've been beautifully if they'd trade down from 10 to 20 for a 1st plus, right after giving up just a 3rd to go from 12 to 10. Could've had both the MIA & CHI 2022 1sts by weaseling their way into a couple of other trades, plus say Rashod Bateman or Caleb Farley.
I think the haul that the Bears gave up isn't as huge as everyone is making it out to be.  There was a huge drop off IMO after the first 13 picks.  A 5th isn't really worth much, and yes there's some value to next year's 4th, but it was pretty much next year's 1st to move up from 20 to 11.  Miami gave up a 1st to move up from 12 to 6.  20 to 11 in this years draft was a far bigger jump that 12 to 6. 

Pick 11 is around where I expect the Bears to be drafting next year. Could be later, could be earlier; pick 11 probably about matches the average value. So the Giants gave pick 11 this year for something like pick 11 next year, plus pick 20 this year, plus a couple rd 4-5 picks.

Obviously there's some discount for waiting a year, but it shouldn't be that huge for a team that isn't especially built to contend this year - that includes PHI, CAR, and DEN (unless they get Rodgers). If you're one of those teams, would you rather have the Bears' 2021 1st (pick 20) or their 2022 1st? I'd rather have the 2022 pick.

So I think the haul was better than 2 copies of pick 20 (even before adding in the day 3 picks). And according to the Jimmy Johnson chart, two copies of pick 20 is worth pick 5. And that's the JJ chart which everyone agrees is too steep - by any other chart it's worth more than that.

In terms of players, teams looking for a CB had Farley & Newsome available at 20 - are they really that much worse than Horn & Surtain? If you're looking WR, then Bateman or Toney. Darrisaw was available at OT, Paye at edge. If you're looking LB - well, Dallas wasn't really looking LB, they were just trading down & settling because they missed out on both their corners.

Would have picked Fields. Corners are valuable, and they probably picked a good one, but the real position of value is the QB, and he was rated #2 by a whole, whole lot of people. So for that reason alone, I don't like the pick. 
It kind of reminds me of the time they took Chubb a few picks before Josh Allen a couple of years ago. It's not that Chubb was a bad prospect or that pass rushers aren't important..... it's just if you miss out on a Josh Allen you need a dozen of those other important guys to drag you into the playoffs. Or in den's case up to .500 as their record since passing on Josh Allen is 18-30. 

Lastly, I think the Bears nailed it getting Fields and the Pats did too staying put and getting Jones. 49ers look kind of foolish trading up to 3 in my opinion, as they likely could have stayed put and still gotten as good a guy. That said, they at least got someone they clearly liked.
Karma. I was in too much shock when it happened, but I think I recall SF publicly stating that they fleeced Chicago and laughed about it. Ironically, the same two teams involved again this time around.

I imagine at some point we'll have a spin-off, one-stop-shopping thread of fantasy winners/losers. Will be good to consolidate all the thoughts.

Karma. I was in too much shock when it happened, but I think I recall SF publicly stating that they fleeced Chicago and laughed about it. Ironically, the same two teams involved again this time around.
I'm just thrilled that it was for Fields and not Jones, and that the price was just a 2022 1st. 

Users who are viewing this thread