What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please don’t call undocumented people “illegal immigrants” (1 Viewer)

Even if I chose to call them undocumented, that does not change the statement. Their entire existence here is illegal
Their entire existence here isn’t illegal. It’s simply their physical presence within our borders that is illegal. Semantics perhaps, but what Tim is suggesting is that semantics matter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is simply not true: in fact, it’s the opposite of true. Every study that has been done on this subject strongly suggests that the vast majority of undocumented immigrants are in fact more law abiding than your average citizen. 
There are studies that our cities would be one big group hug if we defund the police also.  

Bottom line - you can find a study for most anything.

And this is simply not true: in fact, it’s the opposite of true. Every study that has been done on this subject strongly suggests that the vast majority of undocumented immigrants are in fact more law abiding than your average citizen. 
This is very true.  My wife has some family that is here illegally.  They keep in line because of the "Fear factor" of being deported if they get caught doing something.

@timschochet I suspect that at least some of this criminal immigrants have a Tax ID number or access to someone that does.  We have the non-criminal immigrant fill out a W9 and get them connected with our insurance guy who hooks them up with insurance for about $350 a year.  After that I'm able to sit in my office and send them work over a phone rather than wasting time hitting up the local Home Depot parking lot.  They then text us an invoice and we mail them a check.  Works out pretty well for us and they get repeat business and help integrating in society.

@timschochet I suspect that at least some of this criminal immigrants have a Tax ID number or access to someone that does.  We have the non-criminal immigrant fill out a W9 and get them connected with our insurance guy who hooks them up with insurance for about $350 a year.  After that I'm able to sit in my office and send them work over a phone rather than wasting time hitting up the local Home Depot parking lot.  They then text us an invoice and we mail them a check.  Works out pretty well for us and they get repeat business and help integrating in society.
I’d be happy to do that if the work I needed wasn’t so temporary: usually no more than 30 minutes of labor. 

Also, “criminal immigrants” really isn’t an improvement, but thanks for trying, 

I’d be happy to do that if the work I needed wasn’t so temporary: usually no more than 30 minutes of labor. 

Also, “criminal immigrants” really isn’t an improvement, but thanks for trying, 
You really should hop into the modern era and give the criminal trespassers and immigrants more credit. If I’ve got a 30 minute job I knock out a work order on my phone and email it to them. They do the work and text or email me an invoice and oic of the completed job. I push a couple of buttons and for the cost of 80 cents a company prints a check and mails it to them stamp included.  cheaper than the gas to drive to Home Depot and allows more time to post on FBGguys

And you were the one that said they had committed a crime and were immigrants. I just put the two words together and honored your request not to call them illegal 

Could be I suppose. But personally I find it in poor taste and shameful to mock me, so...
Love ya buddy but no one here is above a little mocking now and then. We all step in it once in awhile and with your proliferation you're bound to get more than most.

Now if you'll forgive me I must shamefully admit that I will be offline the rest of the day and will not be able to continue any conversation with you and so I bid you adieu for now

timschochet said:
If you’ve read this thread then you’ve read @McBokonon’s post. He works with undocumented immigrants and he says that they feel dehumanized because they are called “illegals”. Why do you doubt this? 
There's a pretty simple way to prevent feeling dehumanized by being called an illegal immigrant.

Don't come here illegally.

If you do come here illegally, accept the personal choice you made and all that comes with it.  

“Undocumented” will so just fine. These other attempts at mockery are in in poor taste and pretty shameful. 
Sorry but it won’t.  As I believe others have pointed out, “undocumented” implies that they could be here legally but they just don’t have the proper documentation.  That is not the population we are attempting to describe.

I’ll concede that “illegal” as a noun is in poor taste, but as an adjective which modifies the noun “immigrant” it is completely accurate.  Words have meaning, or so I hear from my liberal friends.

Hey I will accept this concession with gratitude. If everyone was willing to agree to this that would be a real improvement. 
When I was a young, ignorant parent (as opposed to now when I am an old, ignorant parent) I once read that you should focus on your child’s behaviors vs. labeling them as a person.  For instance, “You made a poor choice” vs. “you are an idiot.”  I try to extend that philosophy to life in general.

There's a pretty simple way to prevent feeling dehumanized by being called an illegal immigrant.

If you do come here illegally, accept the personal choice you made and all that comes with it.  
Yep.  Too bad, so sad.  Aren't we always told choices have consequences?  Or is that only if you're an actual American citizen?

I don't give two beans about the feelings of some illegal immigrant.  Not only did you come here illegally, you skipped the line and went straight to the top because you pled some BS and shed some tears.  

Doesn't anyone care about the actual immigrants that are waiting in line to get in?  What about them?  Why do they still have to wait?

Someone who comes here illegally has committed a crime (albeit a minor one.) That doesn’t make them an illegal person.
Minor?  It carries up to a six months prison sentence and if you were denied entry before or deported it then is a felony.  

The Biden administration created them....I guess that it is only right that they get to name them.

if 80% of illegals coming to the USA were voting Republican - Democrats would shut the border down FAST
Don’t most Cubans vote Republican?  I don’t see Democrats opposing Cuban immigration. Also, since “legally impaired immigrants” can’t vote, are you talking about the next generation?

Don’t most Cubans vote Republican?  I don’t see Democrats opposing Cuban immigration. Also, since “legally impaired immigrants” can’t vote, are you talking about the next generation?

If Democrats opposed cubans but supported the other stuff that would be pretty obvious dont you think? I mean they arent that dumb, right? 

are Cubans pouring across the Mexican border?

I did just read its a 58% identifier of Cuban's leaning GOP ..... but has Biden changed the laws on Cuban illegal immigrations? 

Exactly.  Wait in line just like everyone else. 

There are also some Mexican immigrants here legally who harbor a measure of resentment towards those who bypassed the legal process they followed themselves.
Yes some feel that way. Most don’t. It’s an irrational attitude, given that for the vast majority who arrive here without papers, there is no available legal process to bypass. 

I know you guys like to pretend that there’s some huge line of people waiting to get in here, and that undocumented people simply chose to jump to the front of the line rather than waiting their turn, but this has no resemblance to what’s actually happening. 

Yes some feel that way. Most don’t. It’s an irrational attitude, given that for the vast majority who arrive here without papers, there is no available legal process to bypass. 

I know you guys like to pretend that there’s some huge line of people waiting to get in here, and that undocumented people simply chose to jump to the front of the line rather than waiting their turn, but this has no resemblance to what’s actually happening. 
Oh we don’t have a legal immigration process with limited numbers?  You think those numbers aren’t affected by the number of illegals coming in?

Oh we don’t have a legal immigration process with limited numbers?  You think those numbers aren’t affected by the number of illegals coming in?
We do. But that process has no bearing for most of the people who come here without papers. They have no means to apply for a visa and “get in line.” There is no line. 

Users who are viewing this thread