What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please don’t call undocumented people “illegal immigrants” (1 Viewer)

I'm using the terms "Hispanic Christians" and "future voters" for the folks crossing the southern border.

In school board elections. And doesn’t that make sense to you? 
Nothing about illegal immigration makes sense to me.  I don’t know what makes you and other Liberals think you can choose which laws to follow.  Civilization is built in rule of law.  When that breaks down it leads to a very bad place.

They will if we give them a path to citizenship.  They will also pay more in taxes once they can be hired legally.  Win Win.
I am in favor of a path to citizenship. But I want it to be a long path. 
Personally I don’t believe that anyone who came here without papers should ever be allowed to vote in our elections (I don’t care about school board.) 

What are you talking about?  Liberals have been pushing amnesty for years.  And they won’t stop.  I’m going to start calling you Baghdad Bob.  You’ve crossed the line into pure propaganda.
Amnesty and citizenship are far removed from each other. 

Nothing about illegal immigration makes sense to me.  I don’t know what makes you and other Liberals think you can choose which laws to follow.  Civilization is built in rule of law.  When that breaks down it leads to a very bad place.
According to the article you linked, nearly one third of all school children in San Francisco have  parents who are undocumented. 
Perhaps you don’t like this. Perhaps you would like to see these parents deported, and the children with them (although no doubt many of those same children were born here.). But that’s not the reality of the situation as it stands. Those children’s parents ought to have some representation in deciding the school board members. 

Amnesty and citizenship are far removed from each other. 
You just said that illegal aliens will never vote.  And then a post later you said that you support a pathway to citizenship.  It’s just one lie after another coming from your mouth.  Who do you think you’re fooling here?  

You just said that illegal aliens will never vote.  And then a post later you said that you support a pathway to citizenship.  It’s just one lie after another coming from your mouth.  Who do you think you’re fooling here?  
If they are citizens, doesn't that mean they are not "illegal aliens"?

According to the article you linked, nearly one third of all school children in San Francisco have  parents who are undocumented. 
Perhaps you don’t like this. Perhaps you would like to see these parents deported, and the children with them (although no doubt many of those same children were born here.). But that’s not the reality of the situation as it stands. Those children’s parents ought to have some representation in deciding the school board members. 
And how big a leap is it to say that they should also have representation at the state and federal level?  It’s called a slippery slope.  You know it well.  Let them all in and eventually we’ll have to start treating them like citizens.

If and when undocumented immigrants are given a path to citizenship, it will be a long time before they are actually given citizenship, even under the most liberal of current proposals. 

Once they are given citizenship, if we can  follow voting trends for those in similar economic strata to the vast majority of undocumented immigrants, we can safely predict that only a small minority will choose to actually vote. Of those that do, some will vote Republican. 

Therefore this whole meme about how Democrats are pushing this issue to provide them with a bunch of new voters is total BS. 

I wrote that almost none of them will ever vote. I’m confident this is the case. How have I lied? 

It doesn’t take a math genius to figure out that an open door policy, coupled with free access to the best schools and the best healthcare in the world, equals a complete disaster for the country.  You’ll see.  It will be too late by then, but you’ll see.

And how big a leap is it to say that they should also have representation at the state and federal level?  It’s called a slippery slope.  You know it well.  Let them all in and eventually we’ll have to start treating them like citizens.
I don’t believe in slippery slopes. 

It doesn’t take a math genius to figure out that an open door policy, coupled with free access to the best schools and the best healthcare in the world, equals a complete disaster for the country.  You’ll see.  It will be too late by then, but you’ll see.
WAT?

"IF we have highly educated, healthy people living here, the end is NIGH!" 

If and when undocumented immigrants are given a path to citizenship, it will be a long time before they are actually given citizenship, even under the most liberal of current proposals. 

Once they are given citizenship, if we can  follow voting trends for those in similar economic strata to the vast majority of undocumented immigrants, we can safely predict that only a small minority will choose to actually vote. Of those that do, some will vote Republican. 

Therefore this whole meme about how Democrats are pushing this issue to provide them with a bunch of new voters is total BS. 
There have been studies showing that illegals do vote - today.  It’s not that hard, and it’s getting easier and easier as Democrats loosen up the voting laws.

Now you’re raising a completely separate issue. We were discussing undocumented immigration. Now you’re discussing ALL immigration. I’m perfectly happy to have this new discussion with you (and indeed it’s always been my contention that many  conservatives who complain about “illegal immigration” would really like to do away with almost ALL immigration) but you’ll have to decide which one you wish to discuss. 

There have been studies showing that illegals do vote - today.  It’s not that hard, and it’s getting easier and easier as Democrats loosen up the voting laws.
What studies do you have that show that undocumented people vote today? And please try to avoid quoting a hate group like FAIR- I mean legitimate studies? 

I would like to see those studies - and see how someone determined undocumented people were voting.

Now you’re raising a completely separate issue. We were discussing undocumented immigration. Now you’re discussing ALL immigration. I’m perfectly happy to have this new discussion with you (and indeed it’s always been my contention that many  conservatives who complain about “illegal immigration” would really like to do away with almost ALL immigration) but you’ll have to decide which one you wish to discuss. 
I don’t know one single Republican who wants to do away with all immigration.  That’s a left-wing bogeyman.  We allow roughly 650k legal immigrants into the country each year.  I have no issue at all with that.  It’s necessary and it benefits the country.  It’s the illegal immigration that I have a problem with.

What studies do you have that show that undocumented people vote today? And please try to avoid quoting a hate group like FAIR- I mean legitimate studies? 
Well that’s the problem isn’t it?  You liberals view anyone who has conservative views on immigration as Nazis.  Yet they are the only ones willing to conduct research on the subject.  It’s a perfect little way for you to avoid dealing with realities you don’t like.

He’s all over the place. The only consistent thing is that he doesn’t seem to want them here. 
Nope.  I want immigration, but I want it to be legal and thoughtful.  You Liberals want illegal immigration without any thoughtful consideration.  That’s just fact.  You’re the party of anarchy.  Just own it.  I’d actually respect it more.

Someone who comes here illegally has committed a crime (albeit a minor one.) That doesn’t make them an illegal person.
It appears the gap in perspective here has to do with the low value you please on citizenship/residence in the United States. 

Illegal Immigrants are stealing residence in America... this is not up for debate. 

I personally think residence in America is worth more than $500-1000, which would put it in the same tier as Grand Theft. 

I don't consider Grand Theft a minor crime,.. but I guess we're at least figuring out the value you place on being an American. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
In a city that house a huge housing shortage...

Someone who comes here illegally has committed a crime (albeit a minor one.) That doesn’t make them an illegal person.
No one is saying the person's is illegal.  They immigrated here.  They did so illegally.  

We're not calling them an illegal person.  We're calling them an illegal immigrant.  Because when they immigrated--they did so illegally.  

If I called them an illegal person--your argument would make sense.  But I'm not, so...continue on Tim.

No one is saying the person's is illegal.  They immigrated here.  They did so illegally.  

We're not calling them an illegal person.  We're calling them an illegal immigrant.  Because when they immigrated--they did so illegally.  

If I called them an illegal person--your argument would make sense.  But I'm not, so...continue on Tim.
Wtf does calling them an illegal person even mean? 

Omg you cant call them an illegal person! doesnt even make sense. its not even a thing. 

So it looks like it's pretty much been decided:

• "illegal immigrant" is a proper and apt name for foreigners who come here illegally.
  • No one is against LEGAL immigration except Democrats.
  • The people who have to apply and wait to get in (and pay) - and yet are skipped in favor of "illegal immigrants" - are the actual immigrants that are being unfairly treated.
Did I miss anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still confused about something: about twice a year I drive up to a Home Depot, approach some day laborers and say “I’ve got a shopping center a mile from here. Somebody dumped an old couch in the alley. I want you to follow me in your truck and remove the couch.” Guy says “$100.” I say OK; or I might say “that’s too much; I’ll give you $75.” 

What exactly is immoral or unethical about this transaction? Some people here seem to think it makes me a bad person, or a hypocrite, or both. I’m not seeing that; what am I’m missing? 
Depends, are they going to turn around and dump the couch illegally on someone else's property?

So it looks like it's pretty much been decided:

• "illegal immigrant" is a proper and apt name for foreigners who come here illegally.
  • No one is against LEGAL immigration except Democrats.
  • The people who have to apply and wait to get in (and pay) - and yet are skipped in favor of "illegal immigrants" - are the actual immigrants that are being unfairly treated.
Did I miss anything?
I think a lot of people say if you disagree with part of my premise, you hate the entire subject.  So Tim thinks if you don't approve of illegal immigrants coming here--ya know--illegally--then you're a xenophobe who hates people from other countries.  

It's possible to just think we should enforce our borders and only allow legal immigration.  

I think a lot of people say if you disagree with part of my premise, you hate the entire subject.  So Tim thinks if you don't approve of illegal immigrants coming here--ya know--illegally--then you're a xenophobe who hates people from other countries.  

It's possible to just think we should enforce our borders and only allow legal immigration.  
I can guarantee you that every other country in the world enforces THEIR borders.  But the USA shouldn't for some reason.

Try crossing into N.Korea, Cuba, Russia, China, hell, even Mexico and see what happens.

Sometimes, in fact quite often,  political correctness, or “cancel culture”, can be a very good thing. I would like to cancel the term “illegal immigrants”. Here is my argument: 
What you mean is this.

"If I can control the language then I will win the argument" 

It's the very foundation and why political correctness and  cancel culture exist. It has nothing to do with empathy for the people claiming to be protected. It's all about the win,

What you mean is this.

"If I can control the language then I will win the argument" 

It's the very foundation and why political correctness and  cancel culture exist. It has nothing to do with empathy for the people claiming to be protected. It's all about the win,
This.

But it has to be more than just a legal/illegal distinction, right? Because otherwise, we could just decide to have open borders and then all immigration would be legal.

Thats actually an interesting paper.

But, it does not support your conclusion that: "There have been studies showing that illegals do vote - today."

"It is possible that some respondents were without any documentation whatsoever (popularly called “illegal aliens”), though this cannot be confirmed or rejected with the information available as no respondent specifically self-identified themselves as illegal or undocumented (but many did not specifically identify themselves as having permanent resident status)."

Also of note: "Our results also suggest that photo-identification requirements are unlikely to be effective

at preventing electoral participation by non-citizen immigrants: In 2008, more than two thirds of

non-citizen immigrants who indicated that they were asked to show photo-identification reported that they went on to cast a vote."

Users who are viewing this thread