What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please don’t call undocumented people “illegal immigrants” (1 Viewer)

You could have saved yourself a lot of circular typing by just saying: “I agree”
I was trying to say that you really can't have all three happen at the same time in equal degrees.

But I am definitely in favor of higher wages and understand that the trade-off will be lower profits and/or higher prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wholeheartedly object to this line of thinking.

The reason most US citizens have shunned these jobs is because the wages paid are so unreasonably low because the labor market wages are dictated by the wage demands.  And that wage demand is greatly driven DOWN by the presence of illegal immigrants who are willing to work for much less than what is deemed a "livable" wage by US citizens.

This isn't an argument for a more immigration, but against.  There is work that needs to go back to legal US citizens, but they will not subject themselves to live off of the paltry wages that employers pay the illegal immigrants.  There are a lot of US citizens who would be willing to do this work, but are priced out by the companies that hire illegal immigrants.

And how do other countries possibly get all of this "undesirable" work done without non-citizens outside of the bounds of their laws?  How on earth does Germany function without a slew of illegal Slavic immigrants to do their landscaping and fruit harvesting?  How does Japan do it without a bunch of illegal Koreans to work in their poultry factories?

My point is they do just fine and we would too if employers weren't accustomed to the below market wages of illegal immigrants.
Completely agree with this, And now that the US Government is paying people to stay home and not work, 

I walked into a BK the other day that a mile long line. I seen three employees working there.  My wife works for Motel 6 and they are begging for house keepers.   

Completely agree with this, And now that the US Government is paying people to stay home and not work, 

I walked into a BK the other day that a mile long line. I seen three employees working there.  My wife works for Motel 6 and they are begging for house keepers.   
I actually heard a report on NPR that actually acknowledged this very thing as well.  Restaurant owners are having to juggle a bunch of employees who want to only work 10 hours per week so they can still collect unemployment with the extra $300.

The idea that the abuse of this policy is only a few people is sorely misplaced.  It is an epidemic of people sitting at home because they collect more money there than working.  The only option employers have is to pay more while facing increasing costs of supplies and materials.  Then they either have to raise prices to make ends meet or operate at a loss for (hopefully) a short while.  And if they raise wages, they won't be able to dial them back without a severe backlash and employee exodus (again).  It is a catch-22 for employers right now and many are simply choosing to close part time.

I actually heard a report on NPR that actually acknowledged this very thing as well.  Restaurant owners are having to juggle a bunch of employees who want to only work 10 hours per week so they can still collect unemployment with the extra $300.

The idea that the abuse of this policy is only a few people is sorely misplaced.  It is an epidemic of people sitting at home because they collect more money there than working.  The only option employers have is to pay more while facing increasing costs of supplies and materials.  Then they either have to raise prices to make ends meet or operate at a loss for (hopefully) a short while.  And if they raise wages, they won't be able to dial them back without a severe backlash and employee exodus (again).  It is a catch-22 for employers right now and many are simply choosing to close part time.
Pfffft... i have been told repeatedly they could pay 22 bucks an hour and only raise the price of their product by some loose change. 

Pfffft... i have been told repeatedly they could pay 22 bucks an hour and only raise the price of their product by some loose change. 
Any of those, repeatedly telling you this, employers (business owners)....or only employees?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread