What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone following/involved in this Vail, AZ school thing? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
More precisely, this recent kerfuffle in the Vail Unified School District?

One of my old friends who lives in Oregon and leans pretty strong to the right shared a post from one Steven Tyler Daniels, in which he narrates/participates in/guides a protest at a school board meeting. Not sure if anyone else here knows about this, but it was new to me and frankly left me troubled and torn.

It wasn't the 'protest' that bothered me, but rather the fact that this guy came from another state and stuck his nose in a local school board issue. While he didn't necessarily initiate the tension on his own, he also didn't seem interested in mitigating it, either, and found a few opportunities to stir the pot back up when things seemed to be calming down.  To me, it was like watching an alternate version of Norma Rae, where he breezes into town, stirs up the locals to unionize against their corrupt overlords and leaves after getting as many new devotees to his Patriot Party as he could. I think all he did, other than draw attention to himself/the Patriot Party, was to create harsh feelings between neighbors, i.e., the school board and the protesting parents.  I will say, however, that it was quite impressive that it took almost an hour into the video before they offered up the Nazi comparison.

FWIW, I didn't read the article until after I watched much of the video (gave up shortly after the hour mark, and after he had convinced them to elect a new board from among the small group of protesters around him in the building's lobby, which was completely ridiculous even though he cited Robert's Rules--I had to look that up, too), which made comparing the article and the video interesting.  The article said some protesters were armed, which doesn't show in the part of the video I watched. The article also said the staff were quickly losing control of the situation, which I also would disagree with after watching the video; there were multiple sheriff's department deputies there and they all seemed to stay calm and managed the situation pretty calmly. There was a lot of grumbling and some yelling, but the deputies never raised their voices or got physical.

All in all, it was a train wreck that I couldn't resist watching. I won't argue the philosophical points he was trying to make, but the fact that he encouraged the crowd to not compromise--without having any real investment in the specific issue--completely turned me off of any points I may have agreed with. Going after a school board of all things was a bully tactic, nothing more. Just sad to see him :fishing: so many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all due to a pointless political move by Governor Ducey. With a few weeks left in school he decided it was a good time to announce that he was lifting the mask mandate in school but allowing schools to continue to have them if they choose. Most districts kept their mandates which predictably led to these types of confrontations. No one even know there was a mandate in place but he made a public statement about removing it when they could have just waited a few weeks for school to be over with.

Zow said:
This isn't just happening at the Vail school district in AZ.
This only caught my eye because one of my strongly right-leaning friends posted this on FB, and also because of the involvement of the local chapter of the Patriot Party, which appeared to me in the video to be more interested in political theater than resolving a local school board issue.

I'm sure this issue is popping up in a lot of places; I just hope this isn't indicative of what other districts have to put up with.

This only caught my eye because one of my strongly right-leaning friends posted this on FB, and also because of the involvement of the local chapter of the Patriot Party, which appeared to me in the video to be more interested in political theater than resolving a local school board issue.

I'm sure this issue is popping up in a lot of places; I just hope this isn't indicative of what other districts have to put up with.
Oh for sure. And the patriot party is doing this all over AZ. Total theater. 

Users who are viewing this thread