What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pismo/Avila/Santa Maria (1 Viewer)

Drunken knight

Footballguy
We have a lacrosse tournament in Santa Barbara in June.  Thinking about a couple of nights in one of the places mentioned.

looking for suggestions for lodging, restaurants, and water activities.

thoughts?

◼️

We're staying at Avila for a couple nights in July.

ETA: we're planning to see everything from Avila down to Oceano while we're there to scout for a retirement snowbird kind of thing.  It's a while off, but I've never been to the central coast and like what I can see about the triangle from Morro Bay to SLO to Oceano quite a bit on paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
◼️

ETA: we're planning to see everything from Avila down to Oceano while we're there to scout for a retirement snowbird kind of thing.  It's a while off, but I've never been to the central coast and like what I can see about the triangle from Morro Bay to SLO to Oceano quite a bit on paper.
You’ll love it if you like a slower pace. 

Gods I love the view from the balconies at Dolphin Bay Inn, but it's gotten pricey. They do have the occasional buy 2 nights, get one special that makes it more palatable. 

Drunken knight said:
We have a lacrosse tournament in Santa Barbara in June.  Thinking about a couple of nights in one of the places mentioned.

looking for suggestions for lodging, restaurants, and water activities.

thoughts?

Avila has the best boardwalk/beach area of the three imo. Shops, wine tasting, pubs and restaurants all along the beach. They also have a great dog beach if you travel with a dog. Libertine has a pub there with a lot of their beers on tap plus some guest taps. They specialize in wild ales and have a pretty solid lineup. 

Pismo is nice, but it gets obscenely over crowded there with parking and people. If you wanted to stay somewhere closer to here, I'd suggest Arroyo Grande. It's back up away from the beach more but like Avila it has a nice walking area with quite a few wine tasting rooms also.. Mason Bar  is a must hit place even if you're not staying in AG.  Doc Berstiens Ice Cream is great too  :porked:

Haven't been to Santa Maria in years. 

◼️

SLO is nice also, Luna Red is my spot for brunch and a bacon bourbon bloody marry. :wub:    Barrelhouse has a really nice "speak easy" joint that has great beer.  

Avila has the best boardwalk/beach area of the three imo. Shops, wine tasting, pubs and restaurants all along the beach. They also have a great dog beach if you travel with a dog. Libertine has a pub there with a lot of their beers on tap plus some guest taps. They specialize in wild ales and have a pretty solid lineup. 

Pismo is nice, but it gets obscenely over crowded there with parking and people. If you wanted to stay somewhere closer to here, I'd suggest Arroyo Grande. It's back up away from the beach more but like Avila it has a nice walking area with quite a few wine tasting rooms also.. Mason Bar  is a must hit place even if you're not staying in AG.  Doc Berstiens Ice Cream is a great too  :porked:

Haven't been to Santa Maria in years. 
Avila is the newest so and it's well done so it's no surprise you listed it as the best boardwalk area.  

You are right that Pismo gets insanely crowded and a tough place to park and get around until you find a parking place.  If you are staying there it makes it easier as you can walk around pretty easily and it's an older beach town feel.  

Santa Maria isn't worth going to.  It's a smallish town but doesn't really have anything touristy or worth seeing.  Unless you want to head out to Casmalia and go to the Hitchin Post for a great steak.   

Lompoc gets a bad rap and it should in most cases but they do have a nice wine "ghetto" if you are into that sort of thing.  A bunch of tasting rooms all within walking distance so pretty easy to get around.  ETA:  I live in Lompoc and love the town as it is a small town with no traffic and great weather most of the year.  Also close to SB or SLO if you want more of that type of thing.  But Lompoc itself doesn't have much other than the wine ghetto, Jalama Beach and a couple nice golf courses (Mission Club and La Purisima).  

Jalama Beach is also a less traveled area and they have a nice store that serves great burgers so it's a nice time to head out there and grab a burger for the afternoon.  

Great info.  Thanks.

Daughter is 15, and we may have one of her friends with us.  While mrs and I enjoy wine tasting, it may not be part of this trip.

Great info.  Thanks.

Daughter is 15, and we may have one of her friends with us.  While mrs and I enjoy wine tasting, it may not be part of this trip.
For that (daughter and friend) heading out to Jalama Beach for a burger on the beach is a good choice (if you like hanging at the beach).

What's the narrow strip of beach south of the Sea Caves and north of Dinosaur Cove called?  Is that all Shell Beach?  Is it worth seeing?

And what's the vibe as you head south from Pismo to Oceano?

Pismo is pretty cool little town especially if you like food such as clam chowder and giant cinnamon rolls. 
Oh man, can't believe I forgot to mention them! Old Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls in Pismo, even if it's the only thing you do there.  I blame Keto for making me forget.

Splash Cafe for the chowder. Personally i think they're a bit overrated, partially because it's a loooong wait to get in.  Personally I dig Zorros in Shell beach. 

What's the narrow strip of beach south of the Sea Caves and north of Dinosaur Cove called?  Is that all Shell Beach?  Is it worth seeing?

And what's the vibe as you head south from Pismo to Oceano?

Shell beach is pretty simple but nice, and more chill than Pismo. They have the best tidepools on the coast and just a really nice tightly packed beach with great rock structure. It's nice to just walk down there during low tide(take a j with you), then you can see a ton of sea life and coves/caves. They also have a nice little cliff walk trail along the shore that's a nice stroll at sunset. Better retirement area than Pismo imo 

As mentioned above, Zorros is great for breakfast and lunch if you're there around then. 

Oh man, can't believe I forgot to mention them! Old Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls in Pismo, even if it's the only thing you do there.  I blame Keto for making me forget.

Splash Cafe for the chowder. Personally i think they're a bit overrated, partially because it's a loooong wait to get in.  Personally I dig Zorros in Shell beach. 
Splash Cafe is way overrated.  I like Wooly's right on the beach.  They have a waffle fries smothered in chowder that are awesome and the atmosphere is great.

Users who are viewing this thread