What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never mind the experts - how do YOU like your team’s draft? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
49ers here, and I love what they did,  Lance will be controversial for what they spent, but his upside is sky high. 

And i especially like what they did with their trades. They got great value from the Raiders deal, and then pulling off a trade with a divisional rival was slick too.

I loved the Sermon pick, but would have preferred defense there - the draft leaned heavily O, so there was a LOT of value at LB there. This is a personal preference & I can’t complain about Sermon as I like him quite a bit. It’s a good fit & short yardage has been a 2 year problem. 

They also beefed up the OL, which was a massive issue - taking a man-mountain who’ll slide into RG, which they’ve needed desperately and then a slightly undersized (at 6’4”, 311! lol) tackle who will likely also move over to play guard. I like the slot DB & the safety (who’s more like a LB IMO) as well, and the last round RB intrigues me.

that said, I’m a bit disappointed they didn’t add a DL, and while they did get some secondary help, neither are likely to be great outside, leaving them still thin there. 

There’s still FA to go, so I’m optimistic they’ll find help on the DL & corner, but I’m really happy with what they’ve done. 

I’ll give them an A-

How about yous guys? Who’s your team & how happy are you with how they drafted? 

Patriots get a A-/B+ from me. I loved the getting Mac Jones without spending collateral and getting Barmore with reasonable trade up collateral. I thought the Perkins pick and Stevenson picks were solid. All other picks I can’t judge much. I knock them for not addressing CB and OT very late. Having said all of that this is the best draft Patriots have had in a long time, I believe. We are used to trading down, then drafting a over each secondary pick in second.... followed by a kicker or long snapper in the fifth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We are used to trading down, then drafting a over each secondary pick in second.... followed by a cherry or long snapper in the fifth. 
When they had the luxury of Brady in his prime, they had that ability to deal down every year & stack future picks. It just seemed like they’d then trade down again or trade those picks for pieces to fill holes.

IMO that was 100% possible because they had the GOAT. Brady showed that he could win with whatever offense they threw together around him. So long as he had James White & Edelman / Welker types he’s be fine.

I was stunned seeing them trade up not once, but twice. They’ve had a heck of an offseason - still not sure they have a 2021 QB, but Jones should be a good fit. I suspect Cam is still the starter unless he gets outplayed in the preseason. Which wouldn’t be all that difficult, TBH. 

I follow the Ravens, so........

Their drafts are always solid top-to-bottom, even on the rare occasion when they miss at the top. They've made a lot of mid-to-lower rounders and UDFAs wealthy men. They've also had an amazing amount of attrition in the FO/scouting/coaching positions - but they keep filling those spots with capable folks.

I'm not even close to a draft wonk, so I have no idea on how to grade this year's draft. What little I've read about their selections seems good to me. I like Bateman. If Oweh and that Gregor Clegane dude they picked at OG turn out, they smashed it. 

I'm guessing, like always, they'll get a consensus B+ from the experts come Monday morning.

49ers here, and I love what they did,  Lance will be controversial for what they spent, but his upside is sky high. 

And i especially like what they did with their trades. They got great value from the Raiders deal, and then pulling off a trade with a divisional rival was slick too.

I loved the Sermon pick, but would have preferred defense there - the draft leaned heavily O, so there was a LOT of value at LB there. This is a personal preference & I can’t complain about Sermon as I like him quite a bit. It’s a good fit & short yardage has been a 2 year problem. 

They also beefed up the OL, which was a massive issue - taking a man-mountain who’ll slide into RG, which they’ve needed desperately and then a slightly undersized (at 6’4”, 311! lol) tackle who will likely also move over to play guard. I like the slot DB & the safety (who’s more like a LB IMO) as well, and the last round RB intrigues me.

that said, I’m a bit disappointed they didn’t add a DL, and while they did get some secondary help, neither are likely to be great outside, leaving them still thin there. 

There’s still FA to go, so I’m optimistic they’ll find help on the DL & corner, but I’m really happy with what they’ve done. 

I’ll give them an A-

How about yous guys? Who’s your team & how happy are you with how they drafted? 

Niners fan, I'll go B.  I don't disagree with anything you said re: the picks they made, but I think they could have bypassed Sermon for a better secondary player.  And agree they needed to add DL depth.  They have like 8 decent to good RBs now.  The Louisiana kid might be better than Sermon.  Still, happy overall.

1.22 Caleb Farley CB

Fingers crossed. If he's healthy I think this will be a very good pick and definitely meets a need. 

2.53 Dillon Radunz T

Talent meets need. Would have preferred Friarmouth but solid pick. I think.

3.92 Monty Rice LB
3.100 Elijah Molden CB

Both should be depth at positions where it's needed. Solid.

4.109 Dez Fitzpatrick WR
4.135 Rashad Weaver DE

I try not to get excited about 4th round picks but these are probably my favorite picks all draft. Most likely they do very little except backup and rotate in some, but the talent is there for more.

6.205 Racey McMath WR
6.215 Brady Breeze SAF

At least they have fun names.  🤔 Seem unlikely to stick on the team.

Overall the draft is the most unexciting thing to come out of Nashville since Billy ray cyrus.  But it's probably exactly what they need. 

I'll go B-, mostly because I wanted Kwity Paye and I'm skeptical about Farley

Niners fan, I'll go B.  I don't disagree with anything you said re: the picks they made, but I think they could have bypassed Sermon for a better secondary player.  And agree they needed to add DL depth.  They have like 8 decent to good RBs now.  The Louisiana kid might be better than Sermon.  Still, happy overall.
That’s the only pick I wasn’t thrilled about the draft leaned so offense-heavy to that point & there was a ton of value on the other side of the ball. When they moved up I was sure it’d be defense.

As I said, I like Sermon, but they had bigger needs on defense. Agree. I almost went with B+ over A-, but then I considered how poorly their success rate in short yardage has been the last couple years & I can live with it. 

I have faith they’ll be able to address DL this offseason. And they weren’t terrible last year in that regard, just not as good as they were in 2019. 

Didn’t like the Trask pick by the Bucs but they just won the super bowl and re-signed everybody who played in it so I don’t care. The pass rusher and guard they got seem fine. 

I'd give the Steelers a B+ for day 1 and 2 and day 3 grade of F.

Unlike most Steeler  I was good with the Najee pick if viewed as just the value of the pick but heard multiple reports that Denver and Miami were trying to move up to late round one to take him. In that sense a team with so many needs would have been better moving back.

I was ok with the Friermuth pick especially when they landed the Center in round 3 who I think walks in as day one starter.

So filled their Center spot and got top rated RB and second best TE at big time need spots. They struck out at T and CB which is again why I wanted them to trade back because they have so many needs but without trading back Steeler fans would have griped they did not get this or that. They just have more needs then picks.

I thought they stunk up the joint on day 3 including trading a 4th next year in a much deeper draft including a 5th this year to move up to take a player most reputable people I know thought would not get drafted. Based on last few years Colbert has earned my trust on top few rounds but not on day 3 and this year proved no exception.

I was very happy with the Lions' draft. It just feels like for the first time in my lifetime, they finally have people who understand how to build a football team.  The whole off-season has felt different.

I'm not totally sure about McNeil in the 3rd, but can't argue with building from the inside out. In the 4th, I was hoping they would take Wallace and Cox.  They took St. Brown and Barnes, so the same positions just different players.

All in all, I would give them a solid B, which is a marked improvement on where they've been for something like 60 years.

Minnesota = B.  As write this I realize that one draft can't not fix all the woes that plague the Vikings so judging the possible improvement in one year would be unfair.  I hold out hope that they will be better 2-3 years down the road. 

The Vikings did what they had to do by spending picks on the offensive line.  They are currently dead last in the league on O-line spending.  They are gambling on potential over proven players which was their only real option due to the cap situation.  I am not sure if the young O-line will be able to gel enough to offer protection to Cousins before his time is up.  Conceivably they will be better than last year but I have heard that story before.  The lineman the Vikings have drafted recently haven't lived up to their pre-draft hype.  The focal point of the offense seems to center around Cook, rather than Cousins, which at least makes their job  a little easier. 

Is the defense good enough to keep games close?  Probably not.  I don't think they have enough pass rush not to expose their weak secondary.  I am sure Zimmer's game plan is to keep games close and control the clock with Cook.  You have to be optimistic to believe that Hunter comes back to pre-injury form and they get major contributions from the DE rotation.  I don't think they have enough quality pass rushers yet.   

I like the Kellen Mond pick despite bigger needs.  It gives me hope that we can get out from the tyranny that is Kirk Cousins contract in the near future.  The 66th pick will seem rather cheap if he can play in this league.  Hopefully having a QB not making twice as much as the entire Oline will restore some balance to this team. 

Well the pff guys agreed with you. They also gave my Patriots a higher grade than I did. Gave Chicago and Patriots A+ grades. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams
New England always drafts well, but Chicago?  Yeah, this was an anomaly.  If they can somehow grab a starting cb and some wr help after the preseason cuts, they might actually have a decent chance at the division if the Rodgers debacle keeps going downhill. 

1.22 Caleb Farley CB

Fingers crossed. If he's healthy I think this will be a very good pick and definitely meets a need. 

2.53 Dillon Radunz T

Talent meets need. Would have preferred Friarmouth but solid pick. I think.

3.92 Monty Rice LB
3.100 Elijah Molden CB

Both should be depth at positions where it's needed. Solid.

4.109 Dez Fitzpatrick WR
4.135 Rashad Weaver DE

I try not to get excited about 4th round picks but these are probably my favorite picks all draft. Most likely they do very little except backup and rotate in some, but the talent is there for more.

6.205 Racey McMath WR
6.215 Brady Breeze SAF

At least they have fun names.  🤔 Seem unlikely to stick on the team.

Overall the draft is the most unexciting thing to come out of Nashville since Billy ray cyrus.  But it's probably exactly what they need. 

I'll go B-, mostly because I wanted Kwity Paye and I'm skeptical about Farley
I’m also a Titans fan, agree with B-

Jabrill Cox seems like a sexier pick at LB, but I don’t really know anything on Rice.

Washington fan. I'm VERY happy with our draft. I'd give it a solid A. The old regime would have reached for a QB, and I'm honestly glad we didn't as I think Fitz is going to play well with all the weapons we have. They did a beautiful job addressing the biggest needs on the roster (LB, O Line, CB, WR, TE, S) and by all accounts, got very good character guys too. Ron has done a fantastic job over the last 2 drafts and this is clearly a team on the rise. On a side not, as a Gibson fan and owner in multiple dynasty leagues, I'm very happy they didn't draft a RB. Gibson is going to get fed and fed often this year IMO. 

I was very happy with the Lions' draft. It just feels like for the first time in my lifetime, they finally have people who understand how to build a football team.  The whole off-season has felt different.

I'm not totally sure about McNeil in the 3rd, but can't argue with building from the inside out. In the 4th, I was hoping they would take Wallace and Cox.  They took St. Brown and Barnes, so the same positions just different players.

All in all, I would give them a solid B, which is a marked improvement on where they've been for something like 60 years.
Continuation of what has been the most transformative Lions off season of my lifetime.

The energy that Brad Holmes brings is infectious. Dan Campbell is a tremendous motivator. Give some credit to Sheila Ford for getting Chris Spielman involved in the selection process. They also picked up John Dorsey along the way, high caliber coordinators and holy crao we assistants turning down other offers to become part of this rebuild.

Sewell is such an awesome first pick of the new regime. Second youngest player eligible for the draft, he catapults an already good offensive line into the top 5 tier. That’s a first in my 55 seasons of following them.

938 pounds in the first 3 picks, and day 2 concluded with a big physical CB who could be a starter for a long time. Day 3 and the UDFA signings seem unlikely to have much impact. The roster is in shambles, the WR and LB corps are among the worst in the league (by a good margin) and there’s a pretty good chance out DBs will get toasted all year.

Still, this is the most hopeful offseason I can remember. These guys have changed the culture of the franchise. I didn’t think that was possible. In two to three years we’ll see if that really means anything.

Dolphins potentially knocked it out of the park with the:

Waddle

Phillips

Holland

Trifecta. Three guys that can come in and make immediate impacts to the offense and defense and all be week 1 starters with Pro Bow caliber skills.

Holland may make the biggest impact of all three in year one. 

Waddle is a match up nightmare and will open this offense up big time.

Phillips is a freak. I only question the concussion history and his heart. If he stays healthy and can be a mature professional we hit it out of the park snagging an elite pass rusher and disruptor. 

Overall grade B+ with potential for an A grade.

Bottom line is.....Tua. Does he break out now that he will have a normal full off-season, mini camp and training camp. I gave him a lot of rope coming off that brutal hip injury. His time to prove it....is now.

Broncos fan - 

I don't follow college football or a lot of pre-draft scouting beyond the first 10-15 players so I have to rely on "expert" opinion of players and I guess Broncos did well.  But here's the thing: I don't think anyone they picked up is a 2021 starter. 

Broncos did not draft for need, at least need for this year.  A lot of guys that can compete to start, and are likely to start next year, and a lot of depth, which is great I guess, but this team was 5-11 last year and I'm not sure the starting 22 got better.

Our starting needs were QB (but I'm ok with not addressing that), right tackle, center, and middle LB.  I guess Meinerz can play C and Browning can play MLB so both question marks at addressing any team needs.

Surtain may end up being a HoF CB but I wanted a T or MLB in day 1 or 2.

Continuation of what has been the most transformative Lions off season of my lifetime.

The energy that Brad Holmes brings is infectious. Dan Campbell is a tremendous motivator. Give some credit to Sheila Ford for getting Chris Spielman involved in the selection process. They also picked up John Dorsey along the way, high caliber coordinators and holy crao we assistants turning down other offers to become part of this rebuild.

Sewell is such an awesome first pick of the new regime. Second youngest player eligible for the draft, he catapults an already good offensive line into the top 5 tier. That’s a first in my 55 seasons of following them.

938 pounds in the first 3 picks, and day 2 concluded with a big physical CB who could be a starter for a long time. Day 3 and the UDFA signings seem unlikely to have much impact. The roster is in shambles, the WR and LB corps are among the worst in the league (by a good margin) and there’s a pretty good chance out DBs will get toasted all year.

Still, this is the most hopeful offseason I can remember. These guys have changed the culture of the franchise. I didn’t think that was possible. In two to three years we’ll see if that really means anything.
I feel that the teams ahead of the Lions (especially Cincinnati and Miami) saved them from making a bad decision.  Sewell was such an obvious pick for Cincinnati and, than, Miami their GM's should be fired for not making it. If I were Burrow, I would be livid. 

I feel that the teams ahead of the Lions (especially Cincinnati and Miami) saved them from making a bad decision.  Sewell was such an obvious pick for Cincinnati and, than, Miami their GM's should be fired for not making it. If I were Burrow, I would be livid. 
Burrow is not going to be livid for them drafting Chase. 

Maybe he should be, WR isn't really a need there, but I'd bet he loves the pick.

Of course not, he's a kid and likes that his buddy is on the team. I guess I should have phrased it: if I were Burrows knees,  I'd be livid.  ;)
Look what the Niners did. Payed a premium to keep Williams, then drafted a massive OG & a smaller but potentially effective OT who will likely be moved inside as well. 

You build a franchise in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Cincinnati absolutely needs more OL help. 

Patriots get a A-/B+ from me. I loved the getting Mac Jones without spending collateral and getting Barmore with reasonable trade up collateral. I thought the Perkins pick and Stevenson picks were solid. All other picks I can’t judge much. I knock them for not addressing CB and OT very late. Having said all of that this is the best draft Patriots have had in a long time, I believe. We are used to trading down, then drafting a over each secondary pick in second.... followed by a kicker or long snapper in the fifth. 
Only gripe is not targeting WR in a more meaningful way. Depth was solid at the WR position and they let a lot of decent prospects pass. 

Look what the Niners did. Payed a premium to keep Williams, then drafted a massive OG & a smaller but potentially effective OT who will likely be moved inside as well. 

You build a franchise in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Cincinnati absolutely needs more OL help. 
Absolutely. Can't throw the ball effectively if someone is hanging from your jock all night.

Browns

This tweet says it all.

---------------------------

mk@MKonSports

if you’re having team problems I feel bad for you son I got 99 problems and a GM ain’t one

---------------------------------------

Dan Orlovsky@danorlovsky7

The @Browns are a freaking problem with this new regime man. #NFLDraft2021

I know the thread wasn’t about what the experts said, but here’s how PFF graded the teams. 

A+: CHI, CLE, LAC, NEP
A: NYJ, TEN
A-: DEN, DET, WAS
B+: BAL, JAC, KCC, MIA, MIN, NYG
B: ATL, BUF, CIN, DAL, SFO
B-: ARI, CAR, PHI, TBB
C+: IND
C : LAR, LVR, NOS, PIT, SEA
C-: GB, HOU
GB at / near the bottom makes sense to me.   It wasn’t a train wreck like last year, but still seemed like we reached for guys we could have gotten a round later, with the exception of Amari Rodgers.

Only gripe is not targeting WR in a more meaningful way. Depth was solid at the WR position and they let a lot of decent prospects pass. 
BB actually discussed this recently. The issue they have for WR in the draft is no school runs an offense remotely close to what the Patriots run.  NE requires a series of real time read and react options for their receivers to pick up on. They are much more interested in a young player's intellect and ability to process defenses quickly to make sure he ends up in the right spot. So Bill said it's next to impossible to decipher who would work in their system and who won't. That's also why they prefer to bring in established NFL receivers vs. drafting rookies.

Over the years, I have openly wondered (and posted about) whether their system is too complex and maybe they should dumb it down some so freakish athletes could be more involved as receivers. So while we the fans get all worked up as WR prospect after prospect flies off the board, NE mostly cares about their brains than their speed and athleticism.

I'd say A- from this Bears fan. Loved the Fields pick and the trade up to get him.

I like Teven Jenkins as a player, but I would have rather stayed put and not traded for him. If that meant having to "settle" for a Dillon Radunz, so be it. Would have liked to have kept that 3rd rounder, and also added another OL(Quinn Meinertz, Wyatt Davis, Kendrick Green, or Ben Cleveland) or a DB(Elijah Molden or Ifeatu Melifonwu) I think Jenkins will be an excellent RT, but I don't think they maximized value there. 

I loved getting Khalil Herbert(a top-5 RB in this class in my opinion) in round 6. Only knocks I saw on him was being 23, and not being a very experienced receiver. That said, he has good size(5-9 212) good speed(4.48) and averaged over 7 YPC in the ACC last season. He also is a quality KR. I wouldn't have been shocked if he went in round 3, and I think he's a much better RB than guys like Hubbard, or Gainwell, and arguably even Sermon as well. I think Herbert could make Damian Wiliams stay on the team a very short one. He's probably not a threat to Montgomery(who is underrated) but the #2 job isn't unreasonable, and his potential issues receiving are irrelevant in Chicago. 

Loved Thomas Graham in round 6 as well. Bears CB room is wide open after Jaylon Johnson. Hopefully Desmond Trufant just had a bad year with Matt Patricia and isn't wrapping up his career. He was an ok flier, but I'd have liked to do more at the position. Graham looks like your classic case of a good player, who isn't a top athletic tester for his position, so he falls way further than he should. Lack of top end traits is his only real weakness in my eyes. I thought he was a day 2 caliber guy. PFF compared him to Malcolm Butler, and I think that is a similar type of player where the whole is greater than the sum of parts so to speak.

Really excited about the Bears this year. Can't say enough about Fields(who it wouldn't be shocking if he ended up being the best player in the draft) he completely changes the culture, and general hopelessness of the team. I maintain, the Bears have very good skill position talent, they just didn't have anyone who could get it to them. It seemed like twice a game last year Mooney got open deep for 50+ yard bombs, and the ball wasn't even close. Miler has seemed like a bust, but he's never had a QB who could hit him in stride and allow him to make plays after the catch. We all know Robinson's QB history. Fields is the best QB he's ever had before he even takes his first snap. If Cohen stays healthy, and Kmet makes a 2nd year leap, this is a dangerous offense, and team in general. Hopefully Nagy is up for it.

BB actually discussed this recently. The issue they have for WR in the draft is no school runs an offense remotely close to what the Patriots run.  NE requires a series of real time read and react options for their receivers to pick up on. They are much more interested in a young player's intellect and ability to process defenses quickly to make sure he ends up in the right spot. So Bill said it's next to impossible to decipher who would work in their system and who won't. That's also why they prefer to bring in established NFL receivers vs. drafting rookies.

Over the years, I have openly wondered (and posted about) whether their system is too complex and maybe they should dumb it down some so freakish athletes could be more involved as receivers. So while we the fans get all worked up as WR prospect after prospect flies off the board, NE mostly cares about their brains than their speed and athleticism.
Dolphins tried to run the same offense in year 1 of the flo regime and scrapped it. 

dolphin draft:  well, this is one of those drafts where my take on players makes less sense than that of the front office. I’d give them a B+ with the potential for an A when we look back at this draft in 2 years. 

cant argue with waddle, but the “what if’s” of pitts, chase, Sewell and devonte will hang over this selection both because of the initial trade down with SF and then the subsequent trade up with philly. However, if you were drafting to take the tip off your offense, there was no better player in the draft for that.

pick 18: they took their highest rated pass rusher on the board, but not taking najee or etn and getting a guy like oweh later may haunt them 

36: Denver jumps up and takes Williams, so Miami “settles” for a safety that can do it all.  

the running theme of the dolphin draft will be the ignoring of the running back position and getting sniped 2 years in a row.  Now, if they make a move, or guys in their roster make strides, or the kid they took in the seventh is a diamond in the rough then they are geniuses. 

I liked Miami’s draft. I did absolutely no mocks that looked like what they did, but I liked the approach. 

Plus the agility is a key that aids those smart option read to gain separation. Guys that have natural agility rather than large frame do well. For that reason I think Bourne might do well. And not surprising Harry struggles. He has difficulty separating and hasn’t done much with either QB he has had. 

Cowboys:  Overall I'd say a C-

They reached on a lot of the players(third round CB was graded as a 7th round/undrafted prospect for example).  The only thing saving them from a D or an F is 8 of their 11 picks were on defense.  That was a serious need, and they at least seem to take it seriously.

Texans fan(unfortunately) 

Don’t understand the mills pick because next year they can just grab a qb in the first couple of picks but everything I read said he would have gone higher if they had more tape on him at Stanford. 

love the nico pick even though it was a costly trade Up. 

getting brevin Jordan, who was supposed to gone in the 2nd-3rd round in the 5th was pretty awesome. Overall a C+/B-

They reached on a lot of the players(third round CB was graded as a 7th round/undrafted prospect for example).  The only thing saving them from a D or an F is 8 of their 11 picks were on defense.  That was a serious need, and they at least seem to take it seriously.
I like cox pick, the parsons one, and the wr you got but the other ones were considered reaches by every other draft expert 

I'd say D+ 

I love the Cowboys draft. Pick the players you want. The players they picked fit the scheme they want to run. 

I would have liked to get more OLine help but I’m excited. Everyone thinks the Cowboys D last year was trash because elf the talent, it wasn’t. It was because they ran a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel and were coached by one of the worst defensive coordinators to ride on their fathers coattails. Complicated awful scheme. 

Cowboys D will shock people this season. Not saying they’re going to be dominate, but they will look nothing like last year. 

Ranking their draft a B-. Reached on a few picks day two but made up serious ground on day 3. 

Users who are viewing this thread