What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never mind the experts - how do YOU like your team’s draft? (1 Viewer)

Dolphins: C

Trade down from 3 to 12 to get 2 future 1st and a 3rd: A+

Trade up from 12 to 6, giving up a 2022 first, to get Waddle. Incomplete, but for now a D. 

Trade up in the 2nd from 50 to 42, giving up a 2022 3rd, to get OT Eichenberg: D.

Lots of high picks are busts, especially WRs.  Having 2 firsts in 2022 would've also been insurance for the possibility of drafting another QB, in case Tua underwhelms in 2021 - we'll know if he's the solution at QB by November.

P.S. Slater and some combination of Marshall and Dyami Brown (or both) would've been available in hindsight, in the 2021 draft. BTW, Miami likely gave up a higher first in 2022 (their own, keeping the SF 1st).
Dolphins: B

Should have taken Sewell at 6 as the surest bet. But if they really wanted the WR, they had to trade up.  Hindsight shows the Big 3 WRs were going at 5, 6, and 11, so we would have to trade up just like Philly did.  And that would have been for Smith only, who was clearly a step below Waddle and Chase in the Dolphins (and others) draft board.  Following the logic, it is clear Miami traded up with the idea that Pitts/Chase/Waddle would be their target at 6 and one of the 3 would be there.  I am not sure they really scouted Sewell as I suspected when they traded they expected Sewell to go at #2 or #5.  

Waddle, Phillips (if healthy), Holland, Eichenberg all solid picks.  The TE call over a RB or C is a bit questionable.  Either looking at not resigning Gesicki next year or getting a more traditional TE and moving Gesicki to a wideout role.  Must have thought his value was better than any RB or C on the board.   Late round probably should have made a move to grab Khalil Herbert.  Feel like they missed on the RB. But not a value position, so we will see if they can make it work just by improving the OL.

The whole key is Tua of course.  Full off season, year more removed from surgery.  He is on a 3 year window.  Year 2 this season and 90% likely will get 2022 as long as he is not a total bomb in 2021.  This is before you have to start working on the contract extension (big if...).  That and multiple first rounders mean 2023 draft is where they will move on a QB replacement should it come to that.

Who know where they will land in 2022 draft.  SF will be a complete unknown with Lance at QB if they move to him quickly.  Could be a complete disaster in a really tough division.  Would not be surprised if Miami has a top 5 pick in 2022 again.

Dolphins: B

Should have taken Sewell at 6 as the surest bet. But if they really wanted the WR, they had to trade up.  Hindsight shows the Big 3 WRs were going at 5, 6, and 11, so we would have to trade up just like Philly did.  And that would have been for Smith only, who was clearly a step below Waddle and Chase in the Dolphins (and others) draft board.  Following the logic, it is clear Miami traded up with the idea that Pitts/Chase/Waddle would be their target at 6 and one of the 3 would be there.  I am not sure they really scouted Sewell as I suspected when they traded they expected Sewell to go at #2 or #5.  

Waddle, Phillips (if healthy), Holland, Eichenberg all solid picks.  The TE call over a RB or C is a bit questionable.  Either looking at not resigning Gesicki next year or getting a more traditional TE and moving Gesicki to a wideout role.  Must have thought his value was better than any RB or C on the board.   Late round probably should have made a move to grab Khalil Herbert.  Feel like they missed on the RB. But not a value position, so we will see if they can make it work just by improving the OL.

The whole key is Tua of course.  Full off season, year more removed from surgery.  He is on a 3 year window.  Year 2 this season and 90% likely will get 2022 as long as he is not a total bomb in 2021.  This is before you have to start working on the contract extension (big if...).  That and multiple first rounders mean 2023 draft is where they will move on a QB replacement should it come to that.

Who know where they will land in 2022 draft.  SF will be a complete unknown with Lance at QB if they move to him quickly.  Could be a complete disaster in a really tough division.  Would not be surprised if Miami has a top 5 pick in 2022 again.
SF was decimated by injuries in 2020. I think their offense will be much better, and if Bosa is healthy so will the defense. In the draft, they also added to an already good oline. I think the Rams and Cardinals get better in 2021, but Seattle might get worse. The 49ers should improve to at least a .500 team in 2021. Meanwhile, Miami will compete with 3 teams that got better. So, the over/under is just over 9 in a 17 game season. 

Highly doubtful in my opinion.

for one, it’s unlikely Lance starts in 2021 unless JimmyG gets hurt. The 49ers best case scenario has JimmyG playing 17 games & elevating his trade value. 

for another, even with Garapolo hurt, between Beathard & Mullins they still managed to win enough games to pick 12th. 

Mullins & Beathard are two of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen. The way the Niners can lean on the run game & defense, they were able to somewhat mask how utterly terrible they were. So I’m pretty confident that if Lance has to step in for a few games, he’ll be able to at least do as well on raw talent alone.

And if JimmyG does stay health for the 2nd time in his Niners tenure, the Dolphins could well be looking at a bottom 5 pick. 

for one, it’s unlikely Lance starts in 2021 unless JimmyG gets hurt. The 49ers best case scenario has JimmyG playing 17 games & elevating his trade value. 

for another, even with Garapolo hurt, between Beathard & Mullins they still managed to win enough games to pick 12th. 

Mullins & Beathard are two of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen. The way the Niners can lean on the run game & defense, they were able to somewhat mask how utterly terrible they were. So I’m pretty confident that if Lance has to step in for a few games, he’ll be able to at least do as well on raw talent alone.

And if JimmyG does stay health for the 2nd time in his Niners tenure, the Dolphins could well be looking at a bottom 5 pick. 
SF has what looks like an easy out of division schedule: DET,  JAC,  CIN, HOU, PHI. Should be big favorites in those games. SF was #7 in O/U win total before the draft. MIA was in the middle.

SF has what looks like an easy out of division schedule: DET,  JAC,  CIN, HOU, PHI. Should be big favorites in those games. SF was #7 in O/U win total before the draft. MIA was in the middle.
Wow - that is a somewhat toothless schedule. 

I also forgot to mention that they played much of the year without Bosa, Kittle, Debo, Aiyuk, Mostert, Wilson & a host of others.  And they still managed to win enough games to pick 12th.

I don’t see a path to a top 5 pick for the Dolphins, but of course it’s possible. 

4.109 Dez Fitzpatrick WR
4.135 Rashad Weaver DE

I try not to get excited about 4th round picks but these are probably my favorite picks all draft. Most likely they do very little except backup and rotate in some, but the talent is there for more.
I could be wrong here. :bag:   :wall:

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Wow - that is a somewhat toothless schedule. 

I also forgot to mention that they played much of the year without Bosa, Kittle, Debo, Aiyuk, Mostert, Wilson & a host of others.  And they still managed to win enough games to pick 12th.

I don’t see a path to a top 5 pick for the Dolphins, but of course it’s possible. 
Houston is bad but those other teams might all be a bit tougher than you think

Hot Sauce Guy said:

I think they are the 4th best team in that division to start with.  If Lance is forced to play and is bad, they won't be close to the other 3.  Maybe they have an easy rest of schedule, I didn't look.  But they should finish behind the other 3 NFCW teams.  Around 500 is likely, but like I said if they are forced to Lance early and he is bad (not ready), I could see a 5-12 team.  Not probable, but could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston is bad but those other teams might all be a bit tougher than you think
Sure but not tougher than the Niners schedule last year when they went 6-10 without Kittle, Aiyuk, Debo, Bosa & JimmyG, still somehow winning 6 with the likes of Beathard & Mullins behind center. 

I think they are the 4th best team in that division to start with.  If Lance is forced to play and is bad, they won't be close to the other 3.  Maybe they have an easy rest of schedule, I didn't look.  But they should finish behind the other 3 NFCW teams.  Around 500 is likely, but like I said if they are forced to Lance early and he is bad (not ready), I could see a 5-12 team.  Not probable, but could happen.
Yeah ok sure pal. That’s why they went to the super bowl with less offensive talent 2 years ago & the Rams, Seahawks & Cards didn’t, right?   :rolleyes:  

Yeah ok sure pal. That’s why they went to the super bowl with less offensive talent 2 years ago & the Rams, Seahawks & Cards didn’t, right?   :rolleyes:  
And the Seahawks won the division just last year.  And the Rams went to the super bowl the year before.  2021 is a different year. 

You know what they say about opinions. 😄 

Colts fan here’s too and I think Ballard really knows that the defense is fueled by a big pass rush rotation. Risks for sure but he’s got the track record indicating he knows exactly how to draft. 
He's missed plenty though, that's why he's still drafting Edge guys. I just think there were better options than a guy recovering from an Achilles rupture. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread