What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Aaron Rodgers ever play for Green Bay again: The Poll (4 Viewers)

This second question area seems superfluous

• Yes he will

Votes: 123 58.6%
  • No, he’s gone

Votes: 87 41.4%

• Total voters

Capella

CAPELLODINHO
Curious what people think. On one hand, Green Bay has to do whatever it takes to make this right. However on the other hand, he seems really dug in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What does he need a new contract for. He’s Aaron Rodgers, he’d be in mega demand from anybody. 
That’s the rub. He is signed through 2024. He wants more money and his current contract has no more guarantees after this season. I think Packers cave and give him what he wants.

That’s the rub. He is signed through 2024. He wants more money and his current contract has no more guarantees after this season. I think Packers cave and give him what he wants.
So why doesn’t GB give him what he wants already? I guess I don’t understand. Having a guy like him is extremely rare. 

My only concern is Gute loved Drew Lock and it's been said he would've drafted him.  I really hope he's not part of a trade package.  
I think they would be happy with a pile of draft picks in return. GB drafted their guy last year.

So why doesn’t GB give him what he wants already? I guess I don’t understand. Having a guy like him is extremely rare. 
Unfortunately I feel like that ship has sailed.  I think they thought he was past his peak, and combined with him being a diva, they drafted Love anticipated moving on from Rodgers after the 2021 season.  I don't think Murphy, Gute or anyone in the front office envisioned Rodgers regaining his MVP form thus thwarting their plans for a Love led Packers starting in 2022.  Once June 1st comes and they can spread the cap hit over 2 years I expect him to be dealt somewhere for a nice haul.  

Unfortunately I feel like that ship has sailed.  I think they thought he was past his peak, and combined with him being a diva, they drafted Love anticipated moving on from Rodgers after the 2021 season.  I don't think Murphy, Gute or anyone in the front office envisioned Rodgers regaining his MVP form thus thwarting their plans for a Love led Packers starting in 2022.  Once June 1st comes and they can spread the cap hit over 2 years I expect him to be dealt somewhere for a nice haul.  
Man that’s just crazy town to me. 

I voted yes. Caveat - this will get worse before it gets better, but at the end of the day A-a-Ron will want to play foozeball. 

I think he’s getting what he wants right now: we’re all talking about him. 💡 

Trebek made about 10M annually from Jeopardy. 

That + endless endorsements + full physical health year-to-year....

He'll have a ton of leverage to get GB to get something or he leaves for nothing.

Rodgers is gone.  GB will realize their mistake after a few games with Love at QB.   This is going to be entertaining.   
I don’t think anyone thinks Rodgers leaving will not be devastating to GB and there are probably 7 people in the U.S that think Jordan Love will be in the NFL in 5 years.

Rodgers is being a baby, he leaked the info at the worst possible time on purpose. I still think he comes back once GB massages his ego and gives him more guaranteed money.

I don’t think anyone thinks Rodgers leaving will be devastating to GB and there are probably 7 people in the U.S that think Jordan Love will be in the NFL in 5 years.

Rodgers is being a baby, he leaked the info at the worst possible time on purpose. I still think he comes back once GB massages his ego and gives him more guaranteed money.
It would be devastating to GB.

Second bold, just his immediate family.  😋

I don’t think anyone thinks Rodgers leaving will be devastating to GB and there are probably 7 people in the U.S that think Jordan Love will be in the NFL in 5 years.

I think an MVP QB leaving the team when there is nothing behind him will be devastating.   You must think GB is pretty talented and that Rodgers is pretty overrated.  

Sorry meant to write don’t think anyone would say it’s NOT devastating. Editing post. Losing the MVP of the league is pretty bad I would say.

I voted yes. Caveat - this will get worse before it gets better, but at the end of the day A-a-Ron will want to play foozeball. 
GB trades him to Denver for Lock and a decent package including picks. Aaron plays, and the raiders are screwed with Patrick, Justin and Aaron in the division 💥🎆🎇🧨

Trebek made about 10M annually from Jeopardy. 

That + endless endorsements + full physical health year-to-year....

He'll have a ton of leverage to get GB to get something or he leaves for nothing.
I'm not sure if its true, but there was a report that he'd have to pay back some signing bonus if he retires - $11.5m this year and next.  Regardless, I don't think that threat is credible.

voted No.  My breakdown:

40% stays in Green Bay
25% traded to Denver after June 1st
30% traded elsewhere after June 1st
5% Retires to host Jeopardy

My only concern is Gute loved Drew Lock and it's been said he would've drafted him.  I really hope he's not part of a trade package.  
I’m not high on Lock but why not have him and Love battle it out? I doubt his “value” would really have any weight in the deal. Maybe Bridgewater instead - one of those QBs have to go anyway. 

I think he's gone.  I really don't think it's about money at this point.  He's still extremely bitter about the Love pick and based on Rodgers personality he just can't let it go.  They will trade him to Denver after June 1st.  
But AJ Hawk said it isn't about the Jordan Love pick.  Why would he lie?

Is about contract or is it about having support? Seems like you could send a 2nd to Atlanta for Julio and maybe sign crowder if/when he becomes available and solve that problem, and suddenly he would have a solid supporting cast. If he wants an extension, well I’d be trying to retain him if it were my team. 

Gone Gone Gone and the only people who would vote that he can stay on are asleep at the wheel. June 1st? Maybe they will make it play out over the coming weeks but Rodgers is done in Green Bay unless heads start rolling and that doesn't seem logical. 

They moved up to take a Quarterback last year in the Draft and then froze at the biggest moment to go on to the Super Bowl with a young inexperienced Head Coach. He's had enough at this point in his career. 

I think he's gone.  I really don't think it's about money at this point.  He's still extremely bitter about the Love pick and based on Rodgers personality he just can't let it go.  They will trade him to Denver after June 1st.  
That's my exact take, Elway has done this for a previous HoF QB in Manning at the end of his career, Rodgers probably bets he can get another ring over there, even in Mahomes' Division. 

But going into a Division with Mahomes and Herbert does not seem smart. Even with Chicago getting Fields, it would take some time before Green Bay wasn't fielding the best QB in their Division and others. 

I hope he comes to DC. I mean seriously, what a great story that would be, fans can cheer for Coach Ron, he beats cancer, he drafts character guys, and he goes from having the worst QBR starters last year to the best. Man that would be sweet. One can wish...

I hope he comes to DC. I mean seriously, what a great story that would be, fans can cheer for Coach Ron, he beats cancer, he drafts character guys, and he goes from having the worst QBR starters last year to the best. Man that would be sweet. One can wish...

Kinda crazy to think that ship sailed with Fitz. 

That's my exact take, Elway has done this for a previous HoF QB in Manning at the end of his career, Rodgers probably bets he can get another ring over there, even in Mahomes' Division. 

But going into a Division with Mahomes and Herbert does not seem smart. Even with Chicago getting Fields, it would take some time before Green Bay wasn't fielding the best QB in their Division and others. 
Aaron would throw to the most talented receiving group he ever had. (Whether they live up to it, we'll see)

aj hawk stated, as a fact,  that  there's 0% chance he retires. 

but said it isnt totally about the money. very little of it is. 

aj sounds like he knows he's bouncing

Seems so weird he might be playing for anyone else but GB but it’s becoming more real by the day. I guess I could’ve said the same about TB12 a couple of years ago too. 

Dr. Octopus said:
I’m not high on Lock but why not have him and Love battle it out? I doubt his “value” would really have any weight in the deal. Maybe Bridgewater instead - one of those QBs have to go anyway. 
As a cheap hedge in case Love isn’t the answer.  Gute wanted to draft Locke so there’s that.  

Seems so weird he might be playing for anyone else but GB but it’s becoming more real by the day. I guess I could’ve said the same about TB12 a couple of years ago too. 
Or favre, or Peyton, or Joe Montana... 

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's been a GREAT QB who played for one team his entire career since Aikman retired.

Well, I mean they can’t do that. 
I know it's a little out there, but, why not? It's not like Gutekunst (sp?), the Packers GM, has accomplished any mercurial GM feats to launch himself into the pantheon of GM greatness. Looking at his body of work, he's done a relatively average job with his role with the franchise, and relatively average is relatively replaceable. Based on some of the comments above, one could argue that he already gambled and lost regarding Rodgers, in that his judgement call on where Rodgers was in his career trajectory,  was a complete whiff. Which resulted in his unilateral (and arguably inappropriate, in regarding his communication with both Murphy and Rodgers), decision to use 1st Round Draft capital to select a player that's been relegated to holding a clipboard on the sidelines, while a team with otherwise some glaring holes underachieved, and squandered opportunity with the most precious commodity in the NFL, a season helmed by a  Franchise HOF-caliber QB, as well as damaged the Franchise's relationship with said QB, is already grounds for dismissal, no matter how Rodgers has handled it on his end. Hell, Rodgers, despite his annoying cattiness, responded the the controversy with elite performance, by delivering a career season, and it wasn't his fault the Team didn't beat the Bucs, and get to the SB... but they might have had a better shot with a 1st Round-caliber player on either side of the ball, rather than a backup qb, who it was GM's choice to select.

In the big scheme of things, Rodgers is much more valuable to the franchise than the current GM. From a strictly cold business standpoint, based on performance and track record, it's a pretty easy decision, actually. Bye, GM. Rodgers isn't just any player, trying to tail-wag the dog. He's Michael Jordan-caliber elite upper tier, and like it or not, the way life works in the cold, hard real world of athletics, and business, for that matter, is that people of that caliber get to operate under a different set of parameters than the average joe, and I'm OK with that. IMHO, he's earned it. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread