What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Aaron Rodgers ever play for Green Bay again: The Poll (2 Viewers)

This second question area seems superfluous

• Yes he will

Votes: 123 58.6%
  • No, he’s gone

Votes: 87 41.4%

• Total voters
I don't think this is a contract thing. I think it's a respect thing. 

The Green Bay front office humiliated one of the best players in the league last year not just reaching for a QB. But trading up to reach for a QB. This is miles apart from Green Bay drafting Rodgers when he fell 20 spots lower than he was projected. 

Rodgers smiled, poured his tequila , didn't complain and put up a MVP season. 

But that move was a gamble and the front office lost. 
I can agree with disrespected, but humiliated?  He's the highest paid player in the game and his numbers were declining in 2017-2019.  Significantly.  Prior to 2019 the team as a whole was just average at best the two years prior.  Partially because the QB is eating up a large majority of the cap.  You can't really blame the front office for preparing for the future and drafting a QB.  Clearly it motivated Rodgers as he responded with his best season in 10 years and now he's sticking it in their face.  But, where was he those prior seasons?  If he doesn't have (by his standards) three down years in a row they never consider drafting Love.

I can agree with disrespected, but humiliated?  He's the highest paid player in the game and his numbers were declining in 2017-2019.  Significantly.  Prior to 2019 the team as a whole was just average at best the two years prior.  Partially because the QB is eating up a large majority of the cap.  You can't really blame the front office for preparing for the future and drafting a QB.  Clearly it motivated Rodgers as he responded with his best season in 10 years and now he's sticking it in their face.  But, where was he those prior seasons?  If he doesn't have (by his standards) three down years in a row they never consider drafting Love.
Yes, I'd say humiliated.

As I said, I don't think this is about money at all. 

I was stunned when they did it. Especially for someone like Gutekunst with no pull. It's different if a star GM like Mickey Loomis or Chris Ballard or Kevin Colbert, but a guy with one year under his belt as a GM. Wow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.  I don't think it has anything to do with money.  There have been reports they've already tried to extend him with no luck.  I'm sure they'd willingly trade Love too if he asked.  Sounds like the relationship is completely broken.

In 2020 when they drafted Love, I would say the team had a two year championship window. Three years tops.  Tampa Bay is showing what you do when a championship window arrives. You go all in. Over pay, add years to contracts, don’t worry about 3 years from now. You play to win championships. No fan is going to care that Tampa Bay will be in Cap Dumpster in 3 years because they won the super bowl and are position to win it again.

That was the issue with Green Bay’s draft. They drafted two third string players in the first two rounds. 

Hi Balco, 

Do you have a source on this? Or do you mean this is what you think?
No source just my thoughts - there are some articles I read that say Rodgers refused to rework his contract to allow them to sign free agents. Instead he wanted to be extended.

I have been a Packer fan since Blair Kiel was throwing ducks. I have said before - Aaron Rodgers is the best QB I have ever seen play. He is also the biggest diva QB of all time. He pouts until he gets his way.

Packers will cave and give him more money. 

Since the window is quickly closing and after the disastrous 2020 draft, coupled with not improving the roster this season - I am okay with the Packers trading him. The rebuild just starts earlier.

I am also under no illusion that the packers will remain a playoff team. I don’t think there is a player more valuable to his team in the NFL than Rodgers.

The Green Bay front office humiliated one of the best players in the league last year not just reaching for a QB. But trading up to reach for a QB. This is miles apart from Green Bay drafting Rodgers when he fell 20 spots lower than he was projected. 

I respect your opinion, but the Packers staff clearly disagreed about love being a reach. 

Was favre "humiliated" when they drafted Rodgers? At the same age?  

The Packers have had two top 5 picks in 30 years. They are rarely in position to draft the QB they want. If they saw Love as the guy who can lead their franchise for 15 years, the move wasn't a mistake. 

I can’t believe I am saying this but I am pretty tired of his act. I think it would be best for everyone if they trade him. He can get more money and packers can start their extensive rebuild.
How much blame do you put on the front office? 

I think it's 90% front office, 10% Rodgers.

I think with a competent front office, he easily retires a Packer. 

I can’t believe I am saying this but I am pretty tired of his act. I think it would be best for everyone if they trade him. He can get more money and packers can start their extensive rebuild.
And I don't think he's going to get much more money. Maybe more secure in some ways but this isn't about money.

Tom Brady wasn't about money in my opinion either. It was about respect. 

I respect your opinion, but the Packers staff clearly disagreed about love being a reach. 

The Packers have had two top 5 picks in 30 years. They are rarely in position to draft the QB they want. If they saw Love as the guy who can lead their franchise for 15 years, the move wasn't a mistake. 
Can't really know what Love is until he plays.  That being said, I wonder if Rodgers (and the Packers for that matter) handle things this way if any of them felt like JL was ready to go.  My guess is he has looked brutal in camp/practice.

Thanks. I for sure respect your opinion too. We'll just disagree. And that's cool. That's what boards are for!

This is miles apart from Green Bay drafting Rodgers when he fell 20 spots lower than he was projected. 

I am pretty steamed at both. Management for punting an entire draft, and Rodgers for being selfish. Brady restructures his deal every year to get free agents for his team.

I would say 75% Rodgers and 25% management. Terry Bradshaw has been critical of Rodgers and I agree - you need to have thick skin. There have been many times teams have spent first rounders to eventually replace QBs that were aging - David Klingler to replace Boomer Esiason (whoops), Jim Drunkenmiller to replace Steve Young (whoops) . . . Aaron Rodgers to replace Brett Favre. You don’t have to be ecstatic about it but you are a professional. 

And now word that the Jake Kumerow release was the final straw? Jake. Kumerow. Final. Straw.

The fact I am still fired up over the 2020 draft yet side with management shows how I feel.

Can't really know what Love is until he plays.  That being said, I wonder if Rodgers (and the Packers for that matter) handle things this way if any of them felt like JL was ready to go.  My guess is he has looked brutal in camp/practice.
My guess too. The Packers had all of camp and every week of practice to see what they had in Jordan Love. For a year, he didn't show enough to make the active roster for a single game. 

I am pretty steamed at both. Management for punting an entire draft, and Rodgers for being selfish. Brady restructures his deal every year to get free agents for his team.

I would say 75% Rodgers and 25% management. Terry Bradshaw has been critical of Rodgers and I agree - you need to have thick skin. There have been many times teams have spent first rounders to eventually replace QBs that were aging - David Klingler to replace Boomer Esiason (whoops), Jim Drunkenmiller to replace Steve Young (whoops) . . . Aaron Rodgers to replace Brett Favre. You don’t have to be ecstatic about it but you are a professional. 

And now word that the Jake Kumerow release was the final straw? Jake. Kumerow. Final. Straw.

The fact I am still fired up over the 2020 draft yet side with management shows how I feel.
Thanks. We see it completely opposite and that's pretty interesting. 

I do think this is a fascinating case where not having an owner hurts.

I kind of disagree though. The Packers had all of camp and every week of practice to see what they had in Jordan Love. For a year, he didn't show enough to make the active roster for a single game. 
I guess that's what I mean.  I didn't follow their training camp or any reports.  If he'd looked ready to go maybe Rodgers doesn't take this hard line stance and maybe the Packers' front office isn't baby facing in the media.  I don't know.  I'd still trade him as soon as that cap hit lessens on 6/1.  

What's a deal even look like?  Lock, Chubb, another player and 2+ 1sts?  Kind of feel like the Packers would eventually come out on top.

And to be fair, "Retire a Packer" is probably too strong. Ends of careers play out in weird ways. 

I should say "Not mishandle the most important player" and affect the team in a major negative way. 

They might be wrong with the assessment of him, they might fail to develop him. I'm just talking about the pick and trade up, assuming of course they viewed him as their future franchise QB.

They might be wrong with the assessment of him, they might fail to develop him. I'm just talking about the pick and trade up, assuming of course they viewed him as their future franchise QB.
I'm sure they did.  You don't make that move if you don't.  I also think it's at least partially justified.  At least in the sense that Rodgers' numbers were in fairly steep decline prior to 2020.  His contract is also up after 2021 in terms of dead money.  They felt like they had two years to groom Love or extend AR.  It could be argued that this was a brilliant move by the Packers' front office, because it clearly motivated AR to step his game up.  I guess they should have known he'd get his feelings hurt though.  :shrug:

I'm sure they did.  You don't make that move if you don't.  I also think it's at least partially justified.  At least in the sense that Rodgers' numbers were in fairly steep decline prior to 2020.  His contract is also up after 2021 in terms of dead money.  They felt like they had two years to groom Love or extend AR.  It could be argued that this was a brilliant move by the Packers' front office, because it clearly motivated AR to step his game up.  I guess they should have known he'd get his feelings hurt though.  :shrug:
I think it's as simple as they looked back and thought "hey this worked before when we got Rodgers, let's try it again!"

But it was completely different with Rodgers.  Rodgers was a top 3 overall prospect that year than had a 50/50 shot of going #1 overall.  When he fell and they had a chance to draft that kind of prospect to a roster with a current 37 year old QB they had to take it.  There was no such scenario with Love, who was no better than fair market value at that point and one could argue they even reached on a little.

Also fwiw, 37 for a QB was different then than it is now when guys are playing at a high level for longer.  We kind of saw this as Favre pretty quickly fell off a cliff and GB was 4-12 during Rodgers' rookie year.

Bradshaw not a fan. https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/05/04/terry-bradshaw-says-packers-aaron-rodgers-is-weak

If Aaron Rodgers plays football in 2021, don’t expect to see him doing any sit-down interviews with Fox’s Terry Bradshaw.

The Hall of Fame quarterback unloaded on the future Hall of Fame quarterback during an interview during WFAN’s Moose & Maggie show Monday.

“With him being that upset shows me how weak he is,” Bradshaw said. “Who the hell cares who you draft? I mean, he’s a three-time MVP in the league and he’s worried about this guy they drafted last year at No. 1?”

Bradshaw added, “And for him to be upset, my God, I don’t understand that. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Malone No. 1, Cliff Stoudt in the third or fourth round. I had them coming at me from all angles. I embraced it, because when we went to practice, I wasn’t worried about those guys. You know? They didn’t scare me a bit. So I don’t understand why he’s so upset at Green Bay.

“And then if they fire the general manager he’ll come back? Are you kidding me? Really? Aaron, that’s where this is?”

In fairness to Rodgers, he hasn’t said publicly he’ll only play for the Packers in 2021 if the organization fires general manager Brian Gutekunst.

If that is the case, as has been reported, though, Bradshaw thinks Green Bay should call Rodgers’s bluff.

“Here’s what I’d do,” Bradshaw said. “I wouldn’t budge. Let him gripe. Let him cry. Retire. You’re 38. Go ahead and retire. See you later. I mean, I’m really strong about stuff like that, and it just makes him look weak. In my way of looking at it, it makes him look weak. How dare you draft somebody? I play better than they thought I would. Me being the MVP really screwed them, really messed them up.

"Well, obviously he doesn’t need the money, so he probably should just retire and go do Jeopardy! I wouldn’t budge.”

Bradshaw added, “He’s really put them in a pickle. Green Bay is really in a pickle. If he retires, then that takes care of that. They can’t trade him. If they trade him, they’re gonna lose too much money.”

Hi Balco, 

Do you have a source on this? Or do you mean this is what you think?
If the stuff with Love was the reason then why was he negotiating for a new contract the past few months.

This is about the money.  He's making a bad bluff.  He's not retiring and if GB doesn't trade him he'll be trotting out on the field week 1 with GB.

If the stuff with Love was the reason then why was he negotiating for a new contract the past few months.

This is about the money.  He's making a bad bluff.  He's not retiring and if GB doesn't trade him he'll be trotting out on the field week 1 with GB.
Of all the players in the NFL who I think would walk, it's Rodgers.

Especially when he could pull down 10 million a year hosting Jeopardy. 

I think it's as simple as they looked back and thought "hey this worked before when we got Rodgers, let's try it again!"

But it was completely different with Rodgers.  Rodgers was a top 3 overall prospect that year than had a 50/50 shot of going #1 overall.  When he fell and they had a chance to draft that kind of prospect to a roster with a current 37 year old QB they had to take it.  There was no such scenario with Love, who was no better than fair market value at that point and one could argue they even reached on a little.

Also fwiw, 37 for a QB was different then than it is now when guys are playing at a high level for longer.  We kind of saw this as Favre pretty quickly fell off a cliff and GB was 4-12 during Rodgers' rookie year.
to be fair, Favre didn't fall off a cliff in 2005.  Yes, the Pack had a bad year that year.  they went 8-8 in 2006, 13-3 in 2007, Favre returning to the pro-bowl.  He went to the Jets and then Vikings where he went 12-4 and was a, OT game away from the Superbowl.  He didn't fall off the cliff until 2010.

I think they've paid him just under a quarter billion dollars.  I don't see how it's about money.  Maybe you mean guaranteed years at the end of the contract?  It's probably a litany of things.  Love, choice to kick the FG, random personnel decisions he didn't agree with.  Maybe he just wants to control where he plays? 

I think they've paid him just under a quarter billion dollars.  I don't see how it's about money.  Maybe you mean guaranteed years at the end of the contract?  It's probably a litany of things.  Love, choice to kick the FG, random personnel decisions he didn't agree with.  Maybe he just wants to control where he plays? 
Yes.  he wants contract security with more guarantees.

Agree he's not happy and would welcome a trade but at the end of the day if GB gives him what he wants he'll be back.

My opinion is this is mainly posturing to force GB's hand into meeting his contract demands.  Could be wrong.

Has anyone drawn a parallel to cutler's tantrum in 2008?  New management comes in and immediately talks about bringing in Matt Cassel.  cutler pouted his way out of town.  New management was forever hated and was fired 2 years later (although he did go 6-0 with Kyle Orton before the wheels fell off).

cutler and Rodgers are no where near the same level of ability or pedigree.  cutler was entering his 4th year and had never won more than 8 games in a season.

I definitely sided with management in that fiasco but with full benefit of hindsight, I came to REALLY dislike mcdaniels too.  Sometimes both sides are at fault.

This is a crazy take.  He doesn't have to be a HoF player in order to be a good draft pick.  If he ends up starting for 10 years and the team has success, its a successful pick.
The fans expectation on who he replaces will impact the noise he has to contend with on a daily basis.  Anything less than who he replaces is a failure in their eyes.  Expectation are unreasonable, but they do create noise. 

to be fair, Favre didn't fall off a cliff in 2005.  Yes, the Pack had a bad year that year.  they went 8-8 in 2006, 13-3 in 2007, Favre returning to the pro-bowl.  He went to the Jets and then Vikings where he went 12-4 and was a, OT game away from the Superbowl.  He didn't fall off the cliff until 2010.
Yeah myabe "fell off a cliff" was too strong but he had some really bad years right away.

In Rodgers rookie year Favre threw for 3800 yards with 20 TDs and 29 INTs and GB was 4-12.  The next year Favre again threw for 3800 yards with a 56% completion pct and 18 TDs/18 INTs.

He did bounce back somewhat after that but the Rodgers pick was looking like a good pick pretty quickly.

Never even knew Kyle Brandt had a show like that- I watched the whole interview. I like Rodgers a lot more after watching that. He is a thoughtful guy. Thanks for posting that, Joe.

Never even knew Kyle Brandt had a show like that- I watched the whole interview. I like Rodgers a lot more after watching that. He is a thoughtful guy. Thanks for posting that, Joe.
Thanks @ProstheticRGK I thought Brandt and Rodgers both did a good job there. I'm with you, I thought Rodgers did well for himself there. I know everyone loves to drag him, but when I see and hear him talk, I like the guy. Seems like a lot of other people in the industry do too. Brandt is a fan. Pat McAffee loves him. It's an interesting situation. 

They haven't lost yet.  There's lots of different ways this could go still, and I believe its much more media drama than anything.  It is possible this is all just a negotiation ploy between the two, or perhaps just posturing for a trade they've both known has been in the works for some time.  There's probably a good reason we've heard nothing from AR or his agent on this, and the Packers have played it very close to the vest, business as usual.  Of course there are differences with the transition from Favre to Rodgers, but the similarities are uncanny, especially now that someone has made it personal between the QB and the GM as was done back then.  You also thought that was a crazy move - that it was a huge mistake to dump their MVP for an unproven Rodgers - but the team was vindicated 10X over.

I would say that if #12 felt "humiliated" by this draft pick, then he's the problem.

Exactly 

All the faux drama aside, I'll take Rodgers side on this one. Any HOF QB is worth all of the head coaches and GMs in the league combined. Without a top QB, most of those guys are a fraud anyway. 

I'm going to go 70% front office 30% Rodgers.  Rodgers needs a bigger piece of the blame for being so childish considering his lofty salary (which he's earned).  Though a bigger share definitely falls on the front office, personally I think Murphy is a buffoon.  He seems more concerned about the Title town district above and beyond anything else.  

Did Jeopardy offer him the job?  I know he guest hosted but haven't heard that he is their #1 option.
Seems ridiculous if he is. There are a lot of people most of the country would rather see host jeopardy. 

Pretty sure he'd have a career in the booth or on a network if he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread