What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Aaron Rodgers ever play for Green Bay again: The Poll (1 Viewer)

This second question area seems superfluous

• Yes he will

Votes: 123 58.6%
  • No, he’s gone

Votes: 87 41.4%

• Total voters
Of all the players in the NFL who I think would walk, it's Rodgers.

Especially when he could pull down 10 million a year hosting Jeopardy. 
Rodgers was abysmal hosting Jeopardy. He has zero repartee and that's half the gig. If they go his direction it's because they want a D-list celebrity, Drew Carrey style.

I think they've paid him just under a quarter billion dollars.  I don't see how it's about money.  Maybe you mean guaranteed years at the end of the contract?  It's probably a litany of things.  Love, choice to kick the FG, random personnel decisions he didn't agree with.  Maybe he just wants to control where he plays? 
money = respect to most professional athletes.  Realistically pro players should take lesser contract money to make a stronger team to lead to more endorsements from winning which will eventually pay you more money.  These players all have large egos (and they have to in order to get to that level) and one of the easiest things they can compare are contracts.  It's not about the money but what the money represents.

Terry Bradshaw’s comments about the situation were quite interesting. I also don’t think it’s about the money. 

At what point does Rodgers lose his identity as an employee and his opinion hold more weight? 

1. Contract

2. Ignoring the skill positions on offense- they’ve added nothing in the early rounds or in free agency in a decade. 
3. No one seems to mention the field goal, but I think that’s as much a reason as anything; at least another brick in the wall. 
4. He just watched Brady go to a new team with weapons and win the super bowl, and then worked to retain all of those weapons. 
5. 9 of the last 10 1st rd picks on defense, with love being the exception. You can say Rodgers has made guys look good, but that hasn’t really even been the case- MVS and Lazard haven’t looked all that great really. 

I think Rodgers plays in GB, but I think they could add a wr still.

so, if GB completely ignores all requests from Aaron, he could - in essence - show up week 1... fake an injury and never play another snap. milk 30+Mil. Not owe a penny back of his signing bonus. And then ride off into the sunset? 

Would I ever expect a player to do it? No. Can I see it with Rodgers? Yes.

eta: I dont mean he'd LITERALLY do that... but a "down season" to say the least. major distractions calling out coaches/mgmt.. just creating total chaos

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers was abysmal hosting Jeopardy. He has zero repartee and that's half the gig. If they go his direction it's because they want a D-list celebrity, Drew Carrey style.
You may have only watched the first few...he got much better and high praise from fans and those at Jeopardy.

1. Contract

2. Ignoring the skill positions on offense- they’ve added nothing in the early rounds or in free agency in a decade. 
3. No one seems to mention the field goal, but I think that’s as much a reason as anything; at least another brick in the wall. 
4. He just watched Brady go to a new team with weapons and win the super bowl, and then worked to retain all of those weapons. 
5. 9 of the last 10 1st rd picks on defense, with love being the exception. You can say Rodgers has made guys look good, but that hasn’t really even been the case- MVS and Lazard haven’t looked all that great really. 

All good points. That said Rodgers did not play good at all in that NFC championship game. 

You may have only watched the first few...he got much better and high praise from fans and those at Jeopardy.
I watched every second of Aaron and have seen every other show for 20 years or so. He's poor. ProFootballTalk's over-the-top praise of him is because Florio made Rodgers' Sh-t List years ago and this is Florio's chance to suck up so he's taking it

1. Contract

As to point 1. He had a top 5 offensive line, a top 5 RB, a top 2-3 WR and a TE that was near or at the top in TDs.

As to point 4, Brady seems to be able to draw other players. Rodgers doesn't. Don't know if that's because of the GB front office or because of Rodger's reputation.  several former teammates have had negative things to say about him - Finley, James Jones and Greg Jennnings comes to mind.

I hope if he told management he wants out they are actively involved in trade talks. 

It’s all about money, if the Packers give him more money watch how quickly he changes his tone.

I don’t think the Packers have done enough to gain ground this season and since that means the window is pretty much shut, maybe it’s best to move on.

I have no doubt Rodgersxwants to host Jeopardy. The question is does Jeopardy want him to host? Others were better. This incident isn't going to help his cause. Why take on someone difficult to manage?

I have no doubt Rodgersxwants to host Jeopardy. The question is does Jeopardy want him to host? Others were better. This incident isn't going to help his cause. Why take on someone difficult to manage?
I don't think he will be picked as the permanent host.

But I think he could manage 40 days of work for 10 million dollars.

It's been mentioned several times on here, but I think it's silly.  Even if they score and get the conversion for the tie, the defense couldn't stop Brady (or the refs).  They would have gotten in FG range and won anyway.  

I'm with Bradshaw on this 100%.   Rodgers is mentally and emotionally frail.   Prob one if the reasons he's had so few comeback wins.   He's amazing when the sun is shining, but any cloudiness and he struggles to overcome the adversity.  

As to point 4, Brady seems to be able to draw other players. Rodgers doesn't. Don't know if that's because of the GB front office or because of Rodger's reputation.  several former teammates have had negative things to say about him - Finley, James Jones and Greg Jennnings comes to mind.
Brady has been able to get the most out of players, especially receivers. Probably because he works harder than anyone. 

I'm with Bradshaw on this 100%.   Rodgers is mentally and emotionally frail.   Prob one if the reasons he's had so few comeback wins.   He's amazing when the sun is shining, but any cloudiness and he struggles to overcome the adversity.  
This is the other part. If your team is down and you have Brady, you're still in it. The other team starts to look scared.  With Rodgers?  I don't know what the stats show but he's nowhere near as intimidating. Doesn't seem to get his team to rise up to the challenge.

As to point 1. He had a top 5 offensive line, a top 5 RB, a top 2-3 WR and a TE that was near or at the top in TDs.

GB historically doesn’t spend to retain their players or bring in free agents. I was surprised when they signed Jones. Perhaps it’s Rodgers, but it could also be an unwillingness to spend.
Finley Jennings and Jones were good in Green Bay and did nothing afterward. I’ll have to look up the quotes and see what they had to say. 

GB historically doesn’t spend to retain their players or bring in free agents. I was surprised when they signed Jones. Perhaps it’s Rodgers, but it could also be an unwillingness to spend.
Finley Jennings and Jones were good in Green Bay and did nothing afterward. I’ll have to look up the quotes and see what they had to say. 
Ummm...they don’t spend to retain players?

Adams, Jones, Bahktiari, Kenny Clark, Rodgers...the list is long.  They don’t necessarily pay the 3rd and 4th contracts...but they just paid a top top salary to their LT.  Rodgers has had the too QB contract just about every tome they have done his deals.

This is the other part. If your team is down and you have Brady, you're still in it. The other team starts to look scared.  With Rodgers?  I don't know what the stats show but he's nowhere near as intimidating. Doesn't seem to get his team to rise up to the challenge.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Rodgers trails Alex Smith and Joe Flacco, among others.  

He's had a couple cool hail marys though.  

Ted Thompson, the GM from 2005-2017 is the architect of Green Bay's success through drafting, then retaining players. He was to draft and resign, as water is to wet.

1. Contract

1. Rodgers already has a contract and is signed for another two or three years.

2. But yet their offense was one of the better ones in the league. It's their D that needs to be improved to stop opponents from scoring as much. 

3. ?

4. TB has a solid defense. And most of Brady's SB teams didn't have that many offensive weapons. 

5. All that says is that they don't know how to draft defensive players well and have to try again every year. And who says offensive superstars can only be found in the first round? 

Ummm...they don’t spend to retain players?

Adams, Jones, Bahktiari, Kenny Clark, Rodgers...the list is long.  They don’t necessarily pay the 3rd and 4th contracts...but they just paid a top top salary to their LT.  Rodgers has had the too QB contract just about every tome they have done his deals.
Look at the last 4 years of free agents they brought in, it’s defense defense defense, Oline, Jimmy Graham and Mercedes Lewis, devin funchess. Not that defense wasn’t a need, but this has been a complaint for the last few years from Rodgers, not some new gripe. 

Im not going to say they didn’t need defensive help, or that investing in the Oline was a bad idea, but when you have one of the best qbs in the game in his prime and expect him to win playoff games throwing to late round draft picks and not be upset year after year as you ignore the problem I’m not going to blame the guy for being sour. Sorry for the run on sentence.

Look at the last 4 years of free agents they brought in, it’s defense defense defense, Oline, Jimmy Graham and Mercedes Lewis, devin funchess. Not that defense wasn’t a need, but this has been a complaint for the last few years from Rodgers, not some new gripe. 

Im not going to say they didn’t need defensive help, or that investing in the Oline was a bad idea, but when you have one of the best qbs in the game in his prime and expect him to win playoff games throwing to late round draft picks and not be upset year after year as you ignore the problem I’m not going to blame the guy for being sour. Sorry for the run on sentence.
Because the last several years they had needs on defense defense and defense.

And yes....Rodgers covers a lot of that up on offense.  But they also brought in Oline...and part of why is that there draft picks on D did not pan out...but on offense they hit on guys like Linsley, Bahktiari, Tonyan, Adams, MVS (to a degree there...deep threat), Jones, Williams, Jenkins...

Where they whiffed had been at corner, safety, DL, OLB, ILB.  PRetty much all over the field on D they missed high draft picks.  So they had to bring in Amos, and the Smiths...

Adams was a 2nd rounder...prior to and with him they have had Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Jennings (2nd and 3rd rounders).  Yes...even later round WRs can catch too (sometimes).  THey scatter shot it in 2018 with MVS, JMon Moore and EQ...likely hoping one pans out (similar to how Ron Wolf drafted).

Though...I would agree...they should have drafted a couple more over the years (especially given their success in 2nd round WRs).  I don't know what their boards looked like in other years when they took a guy like Josh Jackson in the 2nd.  Apparently they tried last year to trade up...but were unsuccessful (or maybe that was smoke screen).  Ultimately that failure to go up and get Jefferson or Aiyuk leads them to Jordan Love and the mess we are in now.

I just think its a laughable thing to say they don't pay to retain their own guys...their philosophy has long been to retain their own.  I also think the "he has no weapons" is an overrated and easy thing to claim...but ultimately doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The one thing that Packers Management has to do is be decisive. Either cave to Rodgers’ contract demands or trade him immediately, waiting lowers his trade value.

Tough situation for GB here.   On one hand you don't want to lose a great player but on the other hand you don't someone on the team that does not want to be there.   Like Mike Tomlin says "we want volunteers, not hostages".

Because the last several years they had needs on defense defense and defense.

And yes....Rodgers covers a lot of that up on offense.  But they also brought in Oline...and part of why is that there draft picks on D did not pan out...but on offense they hit on guys like Linsley, Bahktiari, Tonyan, Adams, MVS (to a degree there...deep threat), Jones, Williams, Jenkins...

Where they whiffed had been at corner, safety, DL, OLB, ILB.  PRetty much all over the field on D they missed high draft picks.  So they had to bring in Amos, and the Smiths...

Adams was a 2nd rounder...prior to and with him they have had Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Jennings (2nd and 3rd rounders).  Yes...even later round WRs can catch too (sometimes).  THey scatter shot it in 2018 with MVS, JMon Moore and EQ...likely hoping one pans out (similar to how Ron Wolf drafted).

Though...I would agree...they should have drafted a couple more over the years (especially given their success in 2nd round WRs).  I don't know what their boards looked like in other years when they took a guy like Josh Jackson in the 2nd.  Apparently they tried last year to trade up...but were unsuccessful (or maybe that was smoke screen).  Ultimately that failure to go up and get Jefferson or Aiyuk leads them to Jordan Love and the mess we are in now.

I just think its a laughable thing to say they don't pay to retain their own guys...their philosophy has long been to retain their own.  I also think the "he has no weapons" is an overrated and easy thing to claim...but ultimately doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
I think it’s funny you say “lack of weapons is lazy” and then point to 4 guys who haven’t played for the packers in 3 or more years that all left for free agency. They haven’t taken a shot on any free agent wr other than funchess (I could be mistaken here). If they had gone out and tried to add anyone halfway decent maybe rodgers wouldn’t be whining right now. Imagine for a minute that they drafted mclaurin over jace sternberger (scary terry went the pick after). Granted, it’s all hindsight now, but you’d think the team would say “hey, let’s take a look at Marvin Jones or something this year.”

I think it’s funny you say “lack of weapons is lazy” and then point to 4 guys who haven’t played for the packers in 3 or more years that all left for free agency. They haven’t taken a shot on any free agent wr other than funchess (I could be mistaken here). If they had gone out and tried to add anyone halfway decent maybe rodgers wouldn’t be whining right now. Imagine for a minute that they drafted mclaurin over jace sternberger (scary terry went the pick after). Granted, it’s all hindsight now, but you’d think the team would say “hey, let’s take a look at Marvin Jones or something this year.”
The point about them was that people have complained for a while they dint give him weapons.  Even when some of those guys were around.  Seems if it isn’t  a 1st round pick, people dont care.  It was also to illustrate my point that yes...they could have been better (especially with their track record in the 2 round).

Jace vs Terry...both offensive players though...its nit as if they went...nah went D there too.  They had a huge need at TE

I don't think this is a contract thing. I think it's a respect thing. 

The Green Bay front office humiliated one of the best players in the league last year not just reaching for a QB. But trading up to reach for a QB. This is miles apart from Green Bay drafting Rodgers when he fell 20 spots lower than he was projected. 

Rodgers smiled, poured his tequila , didn't complain and put up a MVP season. 

But that move was a gamble and the front office lost. 
Humiliated him?  Come on now, is this guy's ego that fragile?

Grahamburn said:
Balco said:
The one thing that Packers Management has to do is be decisive. Either cave to Rodgers’ contract demands or trade him immediately, waiting lowers his trade value.
Do we even know this is a contract issue? 
It almost certainly is a contract issue, but no, we don't really know anything for certain.  In the unlikely event a trade is in the future, I disagree with Balco that immediate action is needed.  The best way to increase value is to get potential counter-parties bidding - that takes time, and I doubt anyone outside the media and message boards is focused on that right now.

It almost certainly is a contract issue, but no, we don't really know anything for certain.  In the unlikely event a trade is in the future, I disagree with Balco that immediate action is needed.  The best way to increase value is to get potential counter-parties bidding - that takes time, and I doubt anyone outside the media and message boards is focused on that right now.
If it were about his contract you don't think it would have already been resolved? 

If it were about his contract you don't think it would have already been resolved? 
No. I think its still early May, there's no urgency, they've just finished the draft and are in their busy season, and its a very difficult negotiation.  Rodgers almost certainly wants an extension that will make him the highest-paid NFL player again and will guarantee him into his 40's.  This will require the team to completely change their long-term plan, change they way they approach team-building, sacrificing future years.  They've been working on this contract for months.  The public power-play by Rodgers team probably won't move the needle much, but will be a minor distraction that, if anything, will make this a bit more difficult.

No. I think its still early May, there's no urgency, they've just finished the draft and are in their busy season, and its a very difficult negotiation.  Rodgers almost certainly wants an extension that will make him the highest-paid NFL player again and will guarantee him into his 40's.  This will require the team to completely change their long-term plan, change they way they approach team-building, sacrificing future years.  They've been working on this contract for months.  The public power-play by Rodgers team probably won't move the needle much, but will be a minor distraction that, if anything, will make this a bit more difficult.
Somehow I don't see this as a minor distraction.  More like a catastrophe.

It's a beautiful disaster.

Typically contract negotiation tactics don't include comments like, "I don't want to return to the team."
We know this isn't about money.  He has more money than he will ever spend and options outside of football.  This is about digging in on a power struggle.

Somehow I don't see this as a minor distraction.  More like a catastrophe.
It's a beautiful disaster.

Typically contract negotiation tactics don't include comments like, "I don't want to return to the team."
We all knew it would be a difficult contract negotiation.  That's what happens when a 37 year old QB wins the MVP and wants a long extension at the top of the market.  The recent reports about the GM, Jake Kumerow and the other noise that's come up this past week - I don't think that's changing anything at Lombardi Ave.  As far as I know, Rodgers hasn't said anything and the most reliable reports I've seen don't support the rumors.

We all knew it would be a difficult contract negotiation.  That's what happens when a 37 year old QB wins the MVP and wants a long extension at the top of the market.  The recent reports about the GM, Jake Kumerow and the other noise that's come up this past week - I don't think that's changing anything at Lombardi Ave.  As far as I know, Rodgers hasn't said anything and the most reliable reports I've seen don't support the rumors.
This isn't about money.  He has more money than he will ever spend and options outside of football.  This is about digging in on a power struggle.

This isn't normal.  It's personal.  Even if these "comments" are just rumors AR isn't coming out refuting any of it. 

So you don't believe reports like the one from McGinn that said Green Bay already tried to make him the highest paid QB in the league?

I believe it myself, and why I don't think this is about contract.
Going back to the comment that started this - yes, its a very difficult situation as everyone recognizes.  I don't doubt the parties have made several offers and those have been rejected and countered and there's some emotion and pride involved as is normal.  There's no question the team was preparing to move on in the next couple years, and his MVP season and justified contract demands have thrown a wrench into that.  They may end up having to trade him or maybe it will be a holdout, if they can't agree on a contract.  The reference to a "minor distraction" just relates to the Shefter/Kummerow/ etc. rumors.  I don't think he has told the team he's not coming back under any circumstances, because I believe what the GM and Coach said in their draft press conferences - that they are still hopeful he will play for the team this year. I don't think much has changed for the team and player/agent over the past week. 

Do you believe the reports of all these guys flying out to basically kiss his ###?  I do.  If it was just the contract then that can be handled through his agent.  They aren't flying out to meet with him to discuss a no trade clause. 

IMO all the stuff about not getting help or input into personnel decisions is just smokescreen. To me it seems to be about power.  GB knows they essentially have Rodgers on a year to year contract. They can cut the cord as soon as/if Rodgers shows any decline over the next 2 years without any huge cap ramifications. Once GB drafted Love it was like insurance for Rodgers and put them in a better negotiating position.  They can keep the contract as is without having to guarantee more money to someone that will be 40, and with the exception of Brady that has always been a wise decision.  This just seems like Rodgers trying to use his only power play (withholding his services) to regain control over his contract situation.  IMO GB holds the power here,  so my guess is Rodgers either plays for GB or not at all. 

Diagree he was disarmingly charming. Second best host to the multi-winner.

Dr. Oz was TRULY TERRIBLE.

From what I'm watching Rodgers is the type of guy that when he digs his heels in he won't budge.  No way he will let the Packers get the upper hand on this.  He will walk away first.

From what I'm watching Rodgers is the type of guy that when he digs his heels in he won't budge.  No way he will let the Packers get the upper hand on this.  He will walk away first.
Yeah I agree.  I think GB drafting Love was preparing for this.  Rodgers sure made it difficult on them by turning in a great season. 

Rodgers will lose a boatload of money by walking away though.  Even have to pay money back to do it.  I get that he already has a lot,  but I read that combined with paying back signing bonus and his 21 salary he'd be down about 40 million.  That's a huge sum, no matter how rich you are. 

Yeah I agree.  I think GB drafting Love was preparing for this.  Rodgers sure made it difficult on them by turning in a great season. 

Rodgers will lose a boatload of money by walking away though.  Even have to pay money back to do it.  I get that he already has a lot,  but I read that combined with paying back signing bonus and his 21 salary he'd be down about 40 million.  That's a huge sum, no matter how rich you are. 
Chump change vs what he pulls in the rest of his life doing discount double check, infinite game shows, talk shows, how to date a celebrity books to counter Brady's diet plans, they guy made $40M on DOGE alone yesterday, if it were $400Million then maybe I get it but he spits out $40m before the first golf ball is dropped at Augusta.  

He'll miss out on a huge bonus + guaranteed contract by retiring, but I doubt the team will make him pay back signing bonus. That said, I think its highly unlikely he retires - the guy is obviously highly competitive and absolutely at the top of the game right now.

So, this whole story was just Schefter deciding he didn't want to wait any longer to post it? So, he puts it out on draft day like it is breaking news and the 49ers are imminently offering a deal with draft pick swaps?

Schefter has zero credibility left, now. He is nothing but a hack, clickbait-chasing TMZ gossip columnist. 

Users who are viewing this thread