What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

About this Amazon Prime Football Thingy... (1 Viewer)

Rubi

Footballguy
So what does the Amazon Prime exclusive Thursday night football deal starting in 2022 mean for a dinosaur like me. I have Spectrum cable. I don't "stream",I don't watch sports on a computer or my phone. I watch sports on a big screen,hi-def television as God intended it to be watched. Will I be shut out of Thursday night games next year? Just what does this mean to the viewing public? Thanks in advance for any insight.

So what does the Amazon Prime exclusive Thursday night football deal starting in 2022 mean for a dinosaur like me. I have Spectrum cable. I don't "stream",I don't watch sports on a computer or my phone. I watch sports on a big screen,hi-def television as God intended it to be watched. Will I be shut out of Thursday night games next year? Just what does this mean to the viewing public? Thanks in advance for any insight.
I'm quite certain it means you will not be able to watch any Thursday Night Football games. You may get your local team when they play on Thursday Night Football as it'll be broadcast on your local station, but that's typically only the one game. I may be incorrect, I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it'll work.

I stream everything. On my big screen hi def television. So do most people who stream. If you have cable, does it include internet? If so you could go get an Amazon Prime membership and a Firestick and watch TNF on the TV that way. 

If you have Amazon prime you would be able to get the game through that app with a device like Roku or a smart TV via your home wifi.  

I have Spectrum as well and we use a Roku and the Spectrum app on our bedroom TV.  It does fine with all shows and has the guide, etc., but I've found that streaming live sports isn't as good as it is on your regular TV with the cable.  Just my opinion.

Get amazon prime.   Do you never order stuff from Amazon?  If not you should.  Good deals there

Amazon Prime (which you probably already have)

+

Fire Stick for $25

and that’ll give you Amazon Prime video (TNF + movies and stuff) plus other apps that all the kids are digging. Maybe you’ve heard of this new cool movie streaming app called Netflix? I think it just might catch on. ;)  

If your big screen, hi-def TV is less than about 8 years old, it probably already has the Amazon Prime Video app built in.  If not, it should be downloadable. 

The greatest thing about Amazon Thursday Night football is that I can turn off the insufferable Troy Aikman/Joe Buck blathering and switch to commentary provided by Hannah Storm and Andrea Kremer

How does one not have Amazon prime in 2021?

My big question is I don't actually watch non-Sunday afternoon games live and I've never used streaming services for live TV. Will we be able to record, pause, etc or did I just go back to 1980's appointment only TV?

My big question is I don't actually watch non-Sunday afternoon games live and I've never used streaming services for live TV. Will we be able to record, pause, etc or did I just go back to 1980's appointment only TV?
I hadn't thought of that.  My first thought would be they'll treat it like they release anything else where once it airs it is available as a part of the permanent catalog to watch at any time.  But I guess TV contracts are weird so maybe that could screw that up.

One (actually millions of one) chooses not to pay for yet another service.
It's more than just a television service - the main reason to have it is to get free shipping on all Amazon orders. You get Prime Video and Prime Music for "free" as part of Prime.

One important note: Amazon’s exclusivity doesn’t extend to local markets. You should still be able to watch Thursday Night Football on an over-the-air broadcast if your team is playing, according to CNBC.

It's more than just a television service - the main reason to have it is to get free shipping on all Amazon orders. You get Prime Video and Prime Music for "free" as part of Prime.
It also gets you carte Blanche to return anything ordered through prime

Have you tried wrapping aluminum foil around your PC and putting it on the TV? Maybe smack the side of it? 🙂 remember those days with rabbit ears?

Well when you do get a smart TV, you're gonna love it. I'm envious like when people watch The Wire for the first time

I get free shipping from Amazon and I don't have Prime.  Sure I might wait a day or two longer but I don't need to pay a membership fee to have it tomorrow. 

Crazy how big Amazon is. They literally have a huge TV streaming channel with original content and exclusive rights to NFL games and that's all basically their equivalent of the free toy in the happy meal or guy on the corner with a sign dressed as a taco. The streaming TV channel is just there to get people in the door to their Amazon store. 

I don't think this is good news. Prime is like eighty or more bucks a year. NFLN was part of the cable sports packages one tacks on to their cable service. For most people that are budgeting, this is not a good deal at all. It doesn't affect me yet, because I now have Prime, but it likely will in the future. 

I also think this is part of a larger move to go to á la carte game pricing, which as bad as DIRECTV is now, wait until that comes along. It'll be much, much more expensive to get a package deal where you can flip channels at will like I do. Not looking forward to the new arrangements at all. There's so much money to be had, and people will fork it over willingly because people will spend it and accumulate credit charges to do so. 

There are a few cretins like myself who choose to not use any of Amazon's services.  I know I'm in the minority, but there's no way I'm paying an annual subscription to watch a handful of NFL games.  Thankfully, I find football on the radio to be a great alternative, especially when the weather is still nice in the fall.  And the broadcasters are largely better on Westwood One, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few cretins like myself who choose to not use Amazon's services.  I know I'm in the minority, but there's no way I'm paying an annual subscription to watch a handful of NFL games.  Thankfully, I find football on the radio to be a great alternative, especially when the weather is still nice in the fall.  And the broadcasters are largely better on Westwood One, in my humble opinion.
If you aren't already a subscriber to Amazon Prime, it makes zero sense to do it strictly for Thursday Night Football.  But for those of us who take advantage of the benefits of the service already, this is a nice boon.

I pay annually for Prime to save a few bucks, but I think you can still sign up for monthly and get 3 months worth for about $35-40.  Might seem like a lot to someone who is already paying through the nose for a fancy cable bundle.  Also, if you're a Netflix regular but not a Prime member, shut down Netflix for football season and live off of Prime Video for a few months and save money, you cheap bastards.

I have Prime. But if I didn't, I don't think I'd pay a dime for TNF. The match-ups are the games are usually horrendous.

How does one not have Amazon prime in 2021?
Not to hijack my own thread,but,here is why THIS one doesn't have Amazon prime. I had an Amazon account that I used once in a while. I had $500 in a gift card balance(nothing I paid for,I had earned it all on various web-sites,contests,etc) My account was hacked,the gift card balance disappeared. I contacted Amazon,long story short,they confirmed the account was hacked,They saw the gift card balance was at zero. They agreed there WAS $500 in there. They said they "had an idea" who/what hacked the account. They told me to cancel the account and open a new one with a different e-mail. I asked if when I did that if I would get the $500 gift card balance back. They said no,they couldn't do that. I told them I would just cancel my account and not bother with Amazon anymore. They switched me to another department and Y.A. Tittle as my witness asked what they could do to keep me as a customer. I told them give me my stolen $500 gift card balance. They told me they couldn't do that. That is why THIS one does not have Amazon Prime.

Not to hijack my own thread,but,here is why THIS one doesn't have Amazon prime. I had an Amazon account that I used once in a while. I had $500 in a gift card balance(nothing I paid for,I had earned it all on various web-sites,contests,etc) My account was hacked,the gift card balance disappeared. I contacted Amazon,long story short,they confirmed the account was hacked,They saw the gift card balance was at zero. They agreed there WAS $500 in there. They said they "had an idea" who/what hacked the account. They told me to cancel the account and open a new one with a different e-mail. I asked if when I did that if I would get the $500 gift card balance back. They said no,they couldn't do that. I told them I would just cancel my account and not bother with Amazon anymore. They switched me to another department and Y.A. Tittle as my witness asked what they could do to keep me as a customer. I told them give me my stolen $500 gift card balance. They told me they couldn't do that. That is why THIS one does not have Amazon Prime.
For me it's a conscious choice.  I fundamentally disagree with the way Amazon treats its warehouse staff and refuse to financially support the company.

Not that anyone probably cares, but once you get out of the mindset of same-day or two-day shipping, it's not difficult at all to live without Amazon.

For me it's a conscious choice.  I fundamentally disagree with the way Amazon treats its warehouse staff and refuse to financially support the company.

Not that anyone probably cares, but once you get out of the mindset of same-day or two-day shipping, it's not difficult at all to live without Amazon.
this is me also

Lol You know you can stream and and still watch games on a big screen TV in HD, right? Anytime I hear someone has some cable provider/direct tv, etc it makes me remember how much I don’t miss dealing with those #######s for TV service

Bad enough I have to deal with them for internet.

Users who are viewing this thread