What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bipartisan infrastructure deal now looks likely to happen? (1 Viewer)

Let's not pretend there are still fiscal conservatives in the Republican party. They all ####ed away the right to call themselves that when they enabled Trump's fiscal irresponsibility. This is just more of the same. The difference is we've come to expect it from Dems. Now we just excuse it for Republicans.
As noted previously, the red team is fiscally irresponsible and the blue team is fiscally insane.

There is no other way to describe a 6T spending bill.  If we want to drive our currency into the ground this is the way to do it.  Want 1:1 parity with the yen?  This is the road to get there.

Let's not pretend there are still fiscal conservatives in the Republican party. They all ####ed away the right to call themselves that when they enabled Trump's fiscal irresponsibility. This is just more of the same. The difference is we've come to expect it from Dems. Now we just excuse it for Republicans.
So dems more fiscally responsible than republicans?  

So dems more fiscally responsible than republicans?  
I used to vote Republican because Dems always seemed like children in the supermarket.

"I want that. I want that. I want that." Never seeming to understand that every one of those "thats" needs to be paid for, no matter how good an idea some of them may be in a vacuum.

Despite what I may have thought about some factions of the party and most of their social stances, Republicans generally seemed like the adults in the room. But they willingly walked away from any right to that title. Both parties are "responsible" for the current state of the deficit, and it's the only form of responsible that should be used to describe either of them.

one drives the debt up one way, the other a different way.  strictly speaking by who was in the Oval Office, Obama’s performance depends on how you judge the 2009 stimulus.  after that the deficit went down every year until 2016.  DJT went up every year.

I used to vote Republican because Dems always seemed like children in the supermarket.

"I want that. I want that. I want that." Never seeming to understand that every one of those "thats" needs to be paid for, no matter how good an idea some of them may be in a vacuum.

Despite what I may have thought about some factions of the party and most of their social stances, Republicans generally seemed like the adults in the room. But they willingly walked away from any right to that title. Both parties are "responsible" for the current state of the deficit, and it's the only form of responsible that should be used to describe either of them.
Thanks for that eloquent response.,  sorry that I question you.  

As noted previously, the red team is fiscally irresponsible and the blue team is fiscally insane.

There is no other way to describe a 6T spending bill.  If we want to drive our currency into the ground this is the way to do it.  Want 1:1 parity with the yen?  This is the road to get there.
There is no other way to describe this other than wrong!

Democrats have run up the debt dealing with the Great Depression, fighting WWII, dealing with the Great Recession, and now dealing with devastation caused by 40 years of Reagonomics and Covid.  Democrats are responsible for debt that has been investing in saving this nation.

The vast majority of the debt is caused by forty years of tax cuts.  Some of those tax cuts lead to the very conditions that forced democrats to generate debt.  

And when it comes to spending democrats have largely invested in this nation and its people.  Republicans on the other hand has shifted safety net programs that benefit urban poor to programs that lined their own pockets.  

This great myth that Republicans are the fiscally responsible party is religious nonsense.  It might have been true for Ike, maybe even Nixon/Ford but since the eighties a good chunk of this nation has worshiped the "magic asterisk".  Imaginary placeholder for imaginary responsibility.

But you guys keep the faith that the GOP has ever been responsible during the past 40 years, all evidence being to the contrary.

Democrats have run up the debt dealing with the Great Depression, fighting WWII, dealing with the Great Recession, and now dealing with devastation caused by 40 years of Reagonomics and Covid.  Democrats are responsible for debt that has been investing in saving this nation.

The vast majority of the debt is caused by forty years of tax cuts.  Some of those tax cuts lead to the very conditions that forced democrats to generate debt.  

And when it comes to spending democrats have largely invested in this nation and its people.  Republicans on the other hand has shifted safety net programs that benefit urban poor to programs that lined their own pockets.  

This great myth that Republicans are the fiscally responsible party is religious nonsense.  It might have been true for Ike, maybe even Nixon/Ford but since the eighties a good chunk of this nation has worshiped the "magic asterisk".  Imaginary placeholder for imaginary responsibility.

But you guys keep the faith that the GOP has ever been responsible during the past 40 years, all evidence being to the contrary.
Actually, it wasn’t even true for Ike or Nixon. You need to go back to Coolidge. 

Actually, it wasn’t even true for Ike or Nixon. You need to go back to Coolidge. 
Since WWII every president grew the debt at a slower rate than the economy grew until Reagan.  Maybe we want to explain away Nixon or Carter with inflation being responsible for skewing the economic growth rates, but for purposes of discussing the debt I'm willing to include Ike, Tricky ****, and Ford on the "responsible" side of the ledger.

Oh, and I'm pretty tired or I'd start a post on how taxes and spending are inversely correlated.  How "growth" is higher after tax hikes than it is after tax cuts.  (At least at this low end of the Laffer Curve.)  Etc., etc.  but that'll need to either have someone else carrying the ball or wait.

They are both fiscally irresponsible as far as spending goes.   

However the GOP couples massive spending with tax cuts and credits that largely benefit corporations and the wealthy. The theory is that tax cuts will result in increase in GDP that will offset the decrease in tax revenue and the wealth will trickle down to the middle class and poor.  It doesn't work.  

The Democrats spend like drunken sailors but say they'll pay for it by taxing corporations and the wealthy.   That doesn't work either.

Pretty much this.  The question we now need to ask ourselves is "who do we want the government to spend the money on?"  because they ARE going to spend it.   One group generally spends on rich people and businesses.  The other spends on everyone else.  I will point out  distinction that I do think is valid.  The Dems generally have a mechanism to pay for it.  They at least still throw a bone out there.  One of the most laughable things that came from the last administration was this notion of 4-5-6% GDP growth to pay for it.  Might as well tell everyone we have a tree where we grow inflation proof dollar bills and we're going to use that to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
I didn’t think I needed to expand because I have so many times before. Not spending this money now will cost us tons more in the long run. 
:goodposting:

Ounce of prevention>pound of cure 

Essentially Trump’s vision of the Republican Party is that they do not cooperate with Democrats on anything, full stop. 

If any Trump supporter or conservative believes I am incorrect about this, or otherwise wants to defend this position, please do so. 

Essentially Trump’s vision of the Republican Party is that they do not cooperate with Democrats on anything, full stop. 

If any Trump supporter or conservative believes I am incorrect about this, or otherwise wants to defend this position, please do so. 
What continually surprises me dude is your complete and total lack of intelligence when it comes to American politics.   Youd think a guy who claims to read as much as you do wouldnt be this naive.

My brother in law is like this.  He reads a lot but he has a hard time really understanding what he reads.  

Since when do the parties cooperate? 

What continually surprises me dude is your complete and total lack of intelligence when it comes to American politics.   Youd think a guy who claims to read as much as you do wouldnt be this naive.

My brother in law is like this.  He reads a lot but he has a hard time really understanding what he reads.  

I will overlook the insults and simply answer your question: 

Prior to mid 2009. Every significant piece of legislation was bipartisan: from Social Security to Medicare to NAFTA to Medicare Part B all the way to TARP and Obama’s 1st stimulus. Only beginning with Obamacare did we get Republicans refusing to agree to anything Democrats wanted, no matter what the negotiation process. It’s a new phenomenon made worse under the Trump years. 

It's like he totally forgot about the Dems during the prior 4 years.   :lol:

It's like he totally forgot about the Dems during the prior 4 years.   :lol:
Can you all unpack this?   The dems passed quite a few bills in the house…Mitch refused to bring them to the floor of the senate.

What bills did Mitch bring that the dems refused?  What legislation dod the dems obstruct in this manner?

Can you all unpack this?   The dems passed quite a few bills in the house…Mitch refused to bring them to the floor of the senate.

What bills did Mitch bring that the dems refused?  What legislation dod the dems obstruct in this manner?
Come on, it's just another day in the psf of skipping over any legit post or point in order to point at the other team.  

timschochet said:

I think Trump is bad for The Republican party and the United States in general.

But you CONTINUE to ignore the games Democrats are playing.  Biden shakes hands and takes pictures and sings kumbaya with Republicans and Democrats alike.  Yay Bipartisanship.  Then he'll veto everything they just worked for without a reconcilation package basically giving Democrats everything they want.  

And you're still only upset when Republicans do things.  

"My side good" got old a long time ago.  

I think Trump is bad for The Republican party and the United States in general.

But you CONTINUE to ignore the games Democrats are playing.  Biden shakes hands and takes pictures and sings kumbaya with Republicans and Democrats alike.  Yay Bipartisanship.  Then he'll veto everything they just worked for without a reconcilation package basically giving Democrats everything they want.  

And you're still only upset when Republicans do things.  

"My side good" got old a long time ago.  

When did this happen?

I understand he attempted to clarify his position.  But there's not a lot of room for interpretation of "I won't sign A unless you also give me B."  I still believe without a reconcilation plan, Biden will refuse to sign the Bipartisan plan.  

If he does not mean that, why say anything at all?  There's really no point in uttering the sentence otherwise.  

I guess we can argue that failing to sign is not the same as a veto.  But it could certainly fall the way of the pocket veto.  

I understand he attempted to clarify his position.  But there's not a lot of room for interpretation of "I won't sign A unless you also give me B."  I still believe without a reconcilation plan, Biden will refuse to sign the Bipartisan plan.  

If he does not mean that, why say anything at all?  There's really no point in uttering the sentence otherwise.  

I guess we can argue that failing to sign is not the same as a veto.  But it could certainly fall the way of the pocket veto.  
I'm going with the fact that he said he will sign the bill without a reconciliation plan.  If he doesn't, I'll be right here with you criticizing him.

timschochet said:

Prior to mid 2009. Every significant piece of legislation was bipartisan: from Social Security to Medicare to NAFTA to Medicare Part B all the way to TARP and Obama’s 1st stimulus. Only beginning with Obamacare did we get Republicans refusing to agree to anything Democrats wanted, no matter what the negotiation process. It’s a new phenomenon made worse under the Trump years. 

Republicans best chance to retake the House and Senate in 2022 is to have Biden and Democrats accomplish little to nothing. Then comeback with “they controlled the Congress and the Presidency and got nothing done”. It doesn’t matter whether it is good legislation or not. 

timschochet said:

The stimulus bill under Obama wasn't really bipartisan. Only 3 GOP Senators voted for it and none in the house.

Desert_Power said:
The stimulus bill under Obama wasn't really bipartisan. Only 3 GOP Senators voted for it and none in the house.
Agreed. People are misinformed about what bipartisan really means. A lot of times the other side simply gets one person from the other side and they call that bipartisan.

It's a scam and only meant to fool the Rubes.  So later on down the line they can scream oh it was bipartisan!

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s in and it’s big: Senate unveils $1T infrastructure bill

Select items snipped from the article:

WASHINGTON (AP) — After much delay, senators unveiled a nearly $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure package, wrapping up days of painstaking work on the inches-thick bill and launching what is certain to be a lengthy debate over President Joe Biden’s big priority.

A key part of Biden’s agenda, the bipartisan bill is the first phase of the president’s infrastructure plan. It calls for $550 billion in new spending over five years above projected federal levels, what could be one of the more substantial expenditures on the nation’s roads, bridges, waterworks, broadband and the electric grid in years.

Among the major new investments, the bipartisan package is expected to provide $110 billion for roads and bridges, $39 billion for public transit and $66 billion for rail. There’s also set to be $55 billion for water and wastewater infrastructure as well as billions for airports, ports, broadband internet and electric vehicle charging stations.

:thumbup:

Hopefully we can get a title update if/when @timschochet returns.

Users who are viewing this thread