What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just how badly will you botch Mother's Day this year? (1 Viewer)

Let's see...I have my wife, mom, mother-in-law, and step-mom. I'd say my odds are about 85% I'll screw it up for one of them. 

We are all chipping in to get my wife a new xbox. I'll probably just end up getting my mom a plant or basket of lotions and crap.

Little trick I learned a couple years ago....

Anytime my wife says something like "gee, I sure wish we had a nicer colander" or "this pizza cutter SUCKS" I open my Notes App on my phone and jot the gift idea down to a running list of items she's off-handedly commented about over the year.  Then on Xmas or Mother's Day or whatever, I have a handy list available to take to Amazon.  

Now, this year, I had an issue.  The notes section was on my old, crappyasssss phone which I threw in a drawer because I don't know what else to do with old phones.  Panicked a little, but retrieved the old boy, fired it up and to my great surprise, it turned on!   My Samsung notes were alive and well and so, she's getting the aforementioned colander, a great pizza cutter, a new wooden pizza shaped cutting board and a non-stick silicone muffin pan.  I'll let the kids choose what they want to wrap and give her.  

I'm going to give her an Xbox.  

For years every Mother's Day weekend coincided with an annual fishing trip a bunch of my buddies had been doing since we graduated college; we rented the same place every year and couldn't move the dates around, we were locked in.  I would get back every Mother's Day sleep-deprived, hungover and clearly not winning any husband awards. When the guy who organized the trip got married his new wife quickly put a stop to all that nonsense so when it was officially canceled my wife sent her flowers lol. 

At that point the bar was set so low I had nowhere to go but up. A little.

Wife’s parents hadn’t seen us or our kids in person for a few months, so I suggested that we head up there this weekend. Simple gesture, and my wife’s birthday is in a few weeks, so it’s kind of a double celebration.

Nailed it--got my MIL a Texas Roadhouse gift card--her favorite place.We are going to buy her a new laptop, but she wants one that doesn't have "any of these fancy new Windows" on it.. She has Windows 7 on her old one now, so this could be a challenge.

We got my mom a couple jigsaw puzzles (she lives for these things), a candle and we got her an IPAD a few weeks ago and just set it up today.

I bought my wife (from the kids) Air pods so I think she will be happy. I agree with the earlier poster--the kids are 21 and 16, time for them to step their game up. Really hoping she reciprocates and gets me a PS5 for Father's Day, but I bet she buys me shorts. Every holiday she buys what I need rather than what I want.  :(  Surprised she hasn't wrapped up tooth paste and toilet paper some years 

Tried to order flowers today and SURPRISE... global flower shortage. So handmade kids cards and I’m going to try to get her drunk with early cocktails. 50/50 chance of a couch night. 

Lol on the shortage. I did my Friday late afternoon don’t feel like working Costco run. Tons of beautiful flowers. Got a multi-colored 24 rose bouquet for $14.99. The best part is I don’t have to hide them at all or put them out Saturday night because my wife likes when I get flowers even off occasion to put them in two vases she puts out downstairs. I just handed it to her when I got home and said Happy Mother’s Day and she did all the work to make them look nice. Still need to run out early tomorrow and get some cards.

Gas Firepit

New Sun Glasses

Metal Sign that says: MOM Est: 2010

All for the wife

Zippo for my mother, I think I better start looking.

Got a 6-7 foot habiscus tree there yesterday.

You guys should have seen my try to put this in the front seat of my Accord.
It was a dozen or so years ago, but I bought two magnolia trees from Costco after I moved to NC and stuff those into my Explorer. Probably about the same height but had the huge pots, two to three feet wide. It was tight with the back seats down so I couldn’t imagine one in an Accord without it looking like it’s laid back ready for a drive by. Those two magnolias are gigantic now, taller than my house and it’s got a third floor. I love Costco.

my first Mother's Day without a mum.

the ol' man & i winced at each other over our pablum & Postum as to whether we make an observance of some kind. then i had a small flashback and he started blaming gays for hurricanes again so we tabled the matter. miss you, Ma.
Double emoji needed here. 

I’m pretty sure it’s Mother’s Day that’s gonna F me up. Traffic has come to a standstill about a half mile from the bay bridge and I’ve already been in bumper to bumper traffic for the past hour and a half.

Headed accross the bridge to buy a couple of these overpriced adirondack chairs at a place called “Backyard Billy’s”

:hot:

FMD

We’ve fallen into a great routine.  We have two planters by the front door of the house and two in front of our garage.  Every year, the kids and I fill them up with plants/flowers on Mother’s Day.  My wife hates to do it so we kill two birds with one stone.  Thinking I can use this for the next 10 years easily.  

Tried to order flowers today and SURPRISE... global flower shortage. So handmade kids cards and I’m going to try to get her drunk with early cocktails. 50/50 chance of a couch night. 

I call "Mother's Day Weekend" on Saturday I make her a nice breakfast and then pump her full of drinks all day. On Sunday, she just wants to be left alone while I take care of the kids. On Monday, I am the best husband ever. She is already asleep for the night...this has worked 9 years in a row. 

I havent gotten my wife anything. I've been trying to give her the gift of helping her with the grandkids (almost 2 and almost 4) who are spending the night with their twin cousins (5 years old). I'm currently sitting on my neighbors back porch checking out FBGs while letting their dogs out while they are out of town. So... I'd say I'm currently screwing that up as well. 

My wife and I have pretty much stopped buying greeting cards for things, but of course she asked me where the cards for our moms are.  Luckily we had ordered carryout and the dollar store was on the way so I got some cards

will make quiche tomorrow for brunch.  Little one has a soccer game then our moms will come over.  I’m making risotto and chicken and shrimp scampi for dinner.  Also gonna try making some homemade Ammoglio since I forgot to hit the local Italian market before they closed (she’s only had this once but apparently keeps raving about it)

she also mentioned she wanted a Tres Leches cake but I completely spaced on that and never looked into getting one

Overall these usually go pretty well, but we’re looking at cold and rainy weather so that will put a damper on it

If anyone needs a quick poem to personalize their card here you go..

M is for the moan, and the miserable groan
From the pain that She felt when I was born

O is for the oven with it's burnin' heat
Where She stood makin' sure I had something to eat

T is for the time that She stayed up at night
And took my temperature when I wasn't feelin' right

H is for the hard earned money She spent
To keep clothes on my back and try to pay da' rent

E is every wrinkle I put on Her face
And every worry that I caused when I stayed out late

The last letter R is that She taught me Respect
And for the room up in Heaven that I know She'll get

I do t get my wife anything. My kids are old enough to figure that #### out. 

For my mom, I gave her a $100 for her birthday and Mother’s Day combined to buy plants for her front yard. My wife was horrified because I just pulled the money out of my wallet and handed it to my mom while we were eating lunch on the deck. My mom was happy.

Wives are weird.

When my parents were here, my mom, wife, and daughter went to a local place, and my wife hasn't quit raving about the vegetable quiche since.

So, I jumped on their website and pulled up their menu. 2 quiches. 1 I knew she wouldn't eat and a vegetable quiche (parenthetically broccoli/cheddar). OK. Cool. 

So my wife went for her morning bike ride. I got up and threw together a broccoli/cheddar quiche. I was almost done with it when she walked in.

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to make the quiche you had at that restaurant."

"I didn't have the broccoli quiche. Your mom did. They had a roasted vegetable quiche that wasn't on their menu."

:wall:

Users who are viewing this thread