What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask? (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
Am I missing something?  What happened to trusting the science?  We are getting all sorts of hard data showing that the vaccines are incredibly effective.  Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported only 132 vaccine breakthrough deaths out of the more than 100 million people who have been fully vaccinated.  Yet the vaccinated are still required to wear masks , and our vaccinated President shows up daily wearing a mask.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting ridiculous.  What happened to trusting the science?  We are getting all sorts of hard data showing that the vaccines are incredibly effective.  Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported only 132 vaccine breakthrough deaths out of the more than 100 million people who have been fully vaccinated.  Yet the vaccinated are still required to wear masks , and our vaccinated President shows up daily wearing a mask.  Insane.
the horror!

He wears a mask to encourage us vaccinated folks to continue to wear masks, to join him in a message to those who haven't been vaccinated that they should get vaccinated, after which they will, umm, still be asked to wear a mask.  

This will continue until we reach herd immunity, as defined by... well, the CDC won't seem to define it even though we should know enough about contagiousness and death rates to set a target, but the danger of that is that we may hit the target and generate a fresh set of questions regarding mask wearing, so it is easier to speak to an amorphous and therefore unreachable "herd immunity" value and continue to point to the first sentence above.

HTH

Biden is the one person who is best positioned to tone down the politicization of masks.  In the same way that Trump should have gotten vaccinated on camera, Biden should drop the mask when he's outdoors or indoors with other vaccinated people.
That’s all.  No big deal.  Surprised at all the lap dogs supporting this.

He wears a mask to encourage us vaccinated folks to continue to wear masks, to join him in a message to those who haven't been vaccinated that they should get vaccinated, after which they will, umm, still be asked to wear a mask.  

This will continue until we reach herd immunity, as defined by... well, the CDC won't seem to define it even though we should know enough about contagiousness and death rates to set a target, but the danger of that is that we may hit the target and generate a fresh set of questions regarding mask wearing, so it is easier to speak to an amorphous and therefore unreachable "herd immunity" value and continue to point to the first sentence above.

HTH
Perfect.

if there was a vote for worst topic, i'd still vote for about 20 of tim's.  but right after that, this would be at the top.
I’m just interested in hearing a good reason why he does it.  So help me out fish.  You’re a smart guy - you tell us that all the time.  What scientifically supported reason is there for a vaccinated person to keep wearing a mask?

I’m just interested in hearing a good reason why he does it.  So help me out fish.  You’re a smart guy - you tell us that all the time.  What scientifically supported reason is there for a vaccinated person to keep wearing a mask?
I don’t know if it counts as science but I think it’s likely that as soon as vaccinated people stop wearing masks so will unvaccinated people.

first, studies are still ongoing as to the extent that vaccines prevent spreading the virus.  second, encouraging mask use is a way to prevent the virus from spreading.  if you're going to lead by example, encouraging mask wearing is more socially beneficial than not encouraging mask wearing.  if someone wears a mask but doesn't need it, there is no harm.  but failing to wear one if it helps prevent spread is very harmful.

so someone leading by example wears a mask to encourage mask wearing.  it's not that hard to figure out, and the attempted "gotcha" here is pathetic.

I don’t know if it counts as science but I think it’s likely that as soon as vaccinated people stop wearing masks so will unvaccinated people.
Thanks.  That’s a reason, though at this point I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone not wearing a mask and not being vaccinated.

first, studies are still ongoing as to the extent that vaccines prevent spreading the virus.  second, encouraging mask use is a way to prevent the virus from spreading.  if you're going to lead by example, encouraging mask wearing is more socially beneficial than not encouraging mask wearing.  if someone wears a mask but doesn't need it, there is no harm.  but failing to wear one if it helps prevent spread is very harmful.

so someone leading by example wears a mask to encourage mask wearing.  it's not that hard to figure out, and the attempted "gotcha" here is pathetic.
Don’t tell that to the female high school runner in Oregon who collapsed at the finish line after being forced to wear a mask.  Hit her head very hard in the process.  And don’t tell it to the little school children throughout the country that are spending some key formative years wearing masks to school despite teachers having been vaccinated months ago, and Covid not being a significant threat to kids at all.  Many child psychologists are very concerned that kids are not learning key social skills like how to read facial expressions.  Also there is no scientific evidence right now that vaccinated people spread the virus.  None. Yet there is very compelling evidence that once vaccinated Covid is no longer a threat to that individual.  But what the hell, let’s mask up anyways, as if that is motivation for non-vaccinated people to get vaccinated.

Don’t tell that to the female high school runner in Oregon who collapsed at the finish line after being forced to wear a mask.  Hit her head very hard in the process.  And don’t tell it to the little school children throughout the country that are spending some key formative years wearing masks to school despite teachers having been vaccinated months ago, and Covid not being a significant threat to kids at all.  Many child psychologists are very concerned that kids are not learning key social skills like how to read facial expressions.  Also there is no scientific evidence right now that vaccinated people spread the virus.  None. Yet there is very compelling evidence that once vaccinated Covid is no longer a threat to that individual.  But what the hell, let’s mask up anyways, as if that is motivation for non-vaccinated people to get vaccinated.
This tired trope of using an extremely rare case (like the OR runner) to make a broad point doesn't help anyone. Children now account for 20%+ of new Covid cases nationwide, and children carrying it into their homes is a real threat. I just can't wrap my head around why some people are so vehemently opposed to mask wearing. I've had one on my face for a minimum of 50 hours a week for over a year. I've been fully vaccinated for months. It really isn't a big deal if it's going to keep people safe. 

What we should really be asking is why the Venn diagram of people railing against facemasks and the people refusing to take the vaccine are almost a single circle. Same circle has a single pervasive political leaning as well. There is a very serious problem with this mindset, and these are the folks that have made this mess far worse than it needed to be. 

This tired trope of using an extremely rare case (like the OR runner) to make a broad point doesn't help anyone. Children now account for 20%+ of new Covid cases nationwide, and children carrying it into their homes is a real threat. I just can't wrap my head around why some people are so vehemently opposed to mask wearing. I've had one on my face for a minimum of 50 hours a week for over a year. I've been fully vaccinated for months. It really isn't a big deal if it's going to keep people safe. 

What we should really be asking is why the Venn diagram of people railing against facemasks and the people refusing to take the vaccine are almost a single circle. Same circle has a single pervasive political leaning as well. There is a very serious problem with this mindset, and these are the folks that have made this mess far worse than it needed to be. 
How is it keeping people safe?  I’ll hang up and listen.  Follow the science Liberals.  Follow the science.

How is it keeping people safe?  I’ll hang up and listen.  Follow the science Liberals.  Follow the science.
Well, worst case scenario, it completely demolished flu season. That kept a helluva lot of people safe over the last few months. Also, it has not been conclusively found that those that have been vaccinated can't carry or transmit the virus to others.

This tired trope of using an extremely rare case (like the OR runner) to make a broad point doesn't help anyone.
I assume you are talking about outdoor mask mandates right? 

I mean surely we wouldnt implement policy based on super rare possibilities, right? 

I assume you are talking about outdoor mask mandates right? 

I mean surely we wouldnt implement policy based on super rare possibilities, right? 
I haven't followed the OR runner story. If she was outside while running and forced to wear a mask, I would agree that seems overzealous.

Well, worst case scenario, it completely demolished flu season. That kept a helluva lot of people safe over the last few months. Also, it has not been conclusively found that those that have been vaccinated can't carry or transmit the virus to others.
So now we are being required to wear masks due to flu season???  Holy hell.  Listen - I have no problem if you want to wear a mask.  Have at it.  It’s your choice and I couldn’t care less if you want to live your life scared of your own shadow, or virtue signaling, whatever it is.  But why should vaccinated people be required to keep wearing masks?  132 / 100,000,000.  

I haven't followed the OR runner story. If she was outside while running and forced to wear a mask, I would agree that seems overzealous.
Do you think it’s overzealous that in DC it’s now illegal to dance at indoor or outdoor weddings?

So now we are being required to wear masks due to flu season???  Holy hell.  Listen - I have no problem if you want to wear a mask.  Have at it.  It’s your choice and I couldn’t care less if you want to live your life scared of your own shadow, or virtue signaling, whatever it is.  But why should vaccinated people be required to keep wearing masks?  132 / 100,000,000.  
Not what I said at all. First of all, I'm mandated to wear a mask while at work, in a hospital. I'm mandated to wear a mask while indoors in public. I'm mandated to wear  mask in some other situations, as the institutions I'm patronizing or involved with still require it. I don't know that my vaccinated mouth and nose aren't carrying the virus around to potentially immuno-compromised people. I also do it as a courtesy to the misinformed around me that haven't and won't get vaccinated. 

And, if you couldn't care less who wears a mask, WTF was the point of starting this thread?

First I've heard of it. I don't know anything about it, and don't care. Reason #12,589,891 not to live in DC. 
Of course you haven’t heard of it.  It’s not on CNN.  And of course you don’t care about Liberal restrictions on freedoms.  You probably like censorship as well.

EDITORIAL NOTE:

This study is based on a survey regarding the adverse effects of mask wearing in children.Due to multiple limitations, this study cannot demonstrate a causal relationship between mask wearing and the reported adverse effects in children
You don’t see mask wearing as harmful to young children?

Of course you haven’t heard of it.  It’s not on CNN.  And of course you don’t care about Liberal restrictions on freedoms.  You like censorship as well.
Now you're over the line. You don't know anything about me, other than I don't agree with you on this issue. Slow your #### down, and show a little respect. I'm not sitting here telling you how you feel, am I?

Now you're over the line. You don't know anything about me, other than I don't agree with you on this issue. Slow your #### down, and show a little respect. I'm not sitting here telling you how you feel, am I?
Oh I’m sorry, I must have mistaken you for the partisan who said this:

Users who are viewing this thread