What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask? (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem said:
Fair enough, but I disagree with your main point. This is a legitimate pandemic, not some imagined crisis exploited solely for political gain.

Restrictions have begun to ease already, and there’s no reason to believe they won’t continue to do so moving forward.
It’s not a manufactured pandemic, but shifts of power have occurred throughout history because of them.

JerryG said:
Biden has more multi-trillion dollar “stimulus” packages to push, but to get buy-in he needs to maintain the perception that the economy is struggling and we can’t fix it without the feds.  Reference the continued federal payments of UI.

Other proposals for increased federal control include H.R. 1 to take control of voting from the states, and a push for a $15 federal minimum wage in defiance of basic economics and common sense.
Ok. I can buy he has agendas to push through. But how does him wearing a mask relate to the economy and the perception of the feds being the only one to fix it?

That's really ridiculous. It's one thing for a business to ask people to mask indoors while they are shopping, but there's zero benefit to wearing outdoors on a softball field.
yup.  I don't agree with the anti-mask people, but I also think we could have used some common sense in different locations around the country and when dealing with outside activities, so I fully get people's frustration with this.  

Ok. I can buy he has agendas to push through. But how does him wearing a mask relate to the economy and the perception of the feds being the only one to fix it?
IMO it's theater for keeping things like, for example, the extra unemployment benefits.  As long as we are still in a crisis, it gives political cover to continue that policy.  When the President is in a mask constantly and can't even kiss his wife without one, visually you have to wonder how can we not be in a crisis.  And look, we have been.  But economically right now, we don't have an unemployment problem due to Covid.  We did earlier, that is true, but we don't now.  When you are paying people to stay home it creates a labor shortage, inflates prices.  It also drives wages higher, which if that occurs naturally its a good thing, I thing doing so by government fiscal policy intervention is going to have to lead to inflation.  We are seeing it in raw materials, we are seeing it now in wages, it may take awhile to cycle through the economy but I'm taking some inflation hedges financially so I believe it enough to put my money behind that belief.

That's really ridiculous. It's one thing for a business to ask people to mask indoors while they are shopping, but there's zero benefit to wearing outdoors on a softball field.
My 6 year old daughters soccer (outdoor) league requires parents who come to the game and mask up while social distancing too.  They have circles on the sidelines for the parents to stand in. So stupid.  

My 6 year old daughters soccer (outdoor) league requires parents who come to the game and mask up while social distancing too.  They have circles on the sidelines for the parents to stand in. So stupid.  
At that point it's just not wanting to hear a peep from a mad parent or have different sets of rules.   I am guessing schools just say F-it:  mask up and 6' feet apart for any school function or practice.  It's just full on CYA mode. 

But I get how that chips away at people's tolerance for having masks.  There is no need for that outside, IMO.   I could see a crowded gym with people yelling,  but not at a 6 year old's soccer game - what was there, about 40 people?   

JerryG said:
I didn’t say it wasn’t a legitimate pandemic, and we can agree to disagree on whether or not the CDC had the authority to step in like it did late last year.  I would argue though that today, even in the absence of a herd immunity target, we are beyond the point where such an overstepping of bounds is required.

Edit:  And clearly you missed my main point.  What started as a true crisis is now becoming more about the maintenance of power at the federal level.
 Meh. I got your point. I guess we’ll see how long the feds maintain the power you deem inappropriate. 

Apple Jack said:
Maybe rebrand one of the vaccines "Lib Tears."
Step 1: Give more benefits and freedom to those who can prove they’re vaccinated.

Step 2: Do news stories of vaccinated people enjoying these benefits and suggest it’s nice not having to deal with all the Trumpers and maybe it’s a good thing they’re not getting vaccinated.

Step 3: Herd immunity

At that point it's just not wanting to hear a peep from a mad parent or have different sets of rules.   I am guessing schools just say F-it:  mask up and 6' feet apart for any school function or practice.  It's just full on CYA mode. 

But I get how that chips away at people's tolerance for having masks.  There is no need for that outside, IMO.   I could see a crowded gym with people yelling,  but not at a 6 year old's soccer game - what was there, about 40 people?   
No doubt.  It’s 100% about managing down to the loud few (or 1).  It’s certainly not about safety at this point in this circumstance.  

Today was a nice day. Every place I was in still had all windows and doors closed. 

Its kind of funny to look back at the early days when so many experts were saying that masks could give people a false sense of security. Turns out they were talking about themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fauci on MTP right now.  Now talking about mask wearing for flu.  WRT Covid, when asked about how we will have to handle indoor settings for “the next year” while we still have the virus, he says, “It also brings out the possibility that you’re going to have to make sure that indoors, when you have unvaccinated people, that people wear a mask, but that is already a CDC recommendation anyway.”

My son achieved his lifelong dream to run D1 track by walking on to Clemson as a Sophomore, after training for a year by himself.  Never been done before at Clemson.  He was good enough to run in the cross country ACC Championships in the Fall.  I travelled halfway across the country to watch him achieve his dream, only to find out when I got there that the entire 10k course was closed to the public.  I had to walk through about a half mile of deep brush to sneak onto the course, where there was no one within a mile of me.  I had to do the same thing in his two outdoor track meets this Spring, sneaking into both events like a freaking criminal.  Once in the complex there was no one with 50 feet of me and yes, I was wearing a mask and I am vaccinated.  And people wonder why I am pissed.  The level of insanity with shutdowns and mask wearing is off the charts, even today.

My son achieved his lifelong dream to run D1 track by walking on to Clemson as a Sophomore, after training for a year by himself.  Never been done before at Clemson.  He was good enough to run in the cross country ACC Championships in the Fall.  I travelled halfway across the country to watch him achieve his dream, only to find out when I got there that the entire 10k course was closed to the public.  I had to walk through about a half mile of deep brush to sneak onto the course, where there was no one within a mile of me.  I had to do the same thing in his two outdoor track meets this Spring, sneaking into both events like a freaking criminal.  Once in the complex there was no one with 50 feet of me and yes, I was wearing a mask and I am vaccinated.  And people wonder why I am pissed.  The level of insanity with shutdowns and mask wearing is off the charts, even today.
That sucks man.  Have a good friend who missed most of his daughter's senior year playing collegiate tennis with the same issues.  In his case though he did get to go the last meet or two as the outdoor events around here eased up.  

Sorry to hear that. Same with elderly parents who were forced to die alone. Criminal. IMO. 

That sucks man.  Have a good friend who missed most of his daughter's senior year playing collegiate tennis with the same issues.  In his case though he did get to go the last meet or two as the outdoor events around here eased up.  
Thanks, I appreciate that.  Last week I was at University of Georgia and there wasn’t but two people in the stands for the 5k he raced in, and those stands hold about 10,000 people.  Right as they were lining up to start the race Security comes up and starts hassling me.  I had to plead with them for a couple minutes before they finally relented and said I could stay just for that race and then I had to leave.  Meanwhile down the road the Atlanta Braves are operating at full capacity.

Thanks, I appreciate that.  Last week I was at University of Georgia and there wasn’t but two people in the stands for the 5k he raced in, and those stands hold about 10,000 people.  Right as they were lining up to start the race Security comes up and starts hassling me.  I had to plead with them for a couple minutes before they finally relented and said I could stay just for that race and then I had to leave.  Meanwhile down the road the Atlanta Braves are operating at full capacity.
Yeah the Braves started full capacity this past Friday.  Sales have been brisk.  They won a 12 inning thriller last night, badly needed win.  But if the City of Atlanta is opened up, my guess is what's going on in Athens is more a NCAA edict rather than UGA.  I know that the NCAA has informed both Mississippi SEC schools that if they host baseball regionals they won't do so with over 50% attendance yet both schools have been full capacity for a couple months now with no issues.  The NCAA will have to relent soon.  If they try with football I think the long awaited walk away from them will happen.  I don't see the SEC schools, nor the Big XII and ACC really, accepting that and they just leave.  I mean football pays the bills, if they did that the NCAA's back would be broken.

Fauci on MTP right now.  Now talking about mask wearing for flu.  WRT Covid, when asked about how we will have to handle indoor settings for “the next year” while we still have the virus, he says, “It also brings out the possibility that you’re going to have to make sure that indoors, when you have unvaccinated people, that people wear a mask, but that is already a CDC recommendation anyway.”
Ok...is this supposed to be bad that he is pushing for public health?

Did you think that your actions could have DQ'd him?  

Did you think that your actions could have DQ'd him?  
To be honest I didn’t even think that was a possibility.  I was actually off the course at the XC race, about as far away from the finish line as I could be.  At the Georgia race I just walked through the front gate and no one stopped me.  But yeah, you’re right, I probably should have thought about that.

This is a short term problem. In six months, likely less, most people won’t be wearing masks. In the meantime why not show courtesy to others? Much more annoying to me than the mask wearing are all the people who behave like it’s such a huge imposition. If you have a medical problem with it, that’s one thing. But otherwise just get over yourselves. 

Ok...is this supposed to be bad that he is pushing for public health?
Just passing along what he said.  To be honest I’m a bit of a germaphobe and have always co side red wearing a mask on airplanes as I always seem to catch a cold when I travel.  But when it starts going from voluntary / recommended to mandatory, and then you start getting stupid policies put into place like my NCAA Track example, that’s when I have a problem.

This is a short term problem. In six months, likely less, most people won’t be wearing masks. In the meantime why not show courtesy to others? Much more annoying to me than the mask wearing are all the people who behave like it’s such a huge imposition. If you have a medical problem with it, that’s one thing. But otherwise just get over yourselves. 
Boy you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  Might want to reread the thread.

Yeah the Braves started full capacity this past Friday.  Sales have been brisk.  They won a 12 inning thriller last night, badly needed win.  But if the City of Atlanta is opened up, my guess is what's going on in Athens is more a NCAA edict rather than UGA.  I know that the NCAA has informed both Mississippi SEC schools that if they host baseball regionals they won't do so with over 50% attendance yet both schools have been full capacity for a couple months now with no issues.  The NCAA will have to relent soon.  If they try with football I think the long awaited walk away from them will happen.  I don't see the SEC schools, nor the Big XII and ACC really, accepting that and they just leave.  I mean football pays the bills, if they did that the NCAA's back would be broken.
Clemson has already announced they will be operating at full capacity for football, which I assume must have been cleared with the NCAA.  If schools don’t open up 100% for football this fall you are going to see programs cut let and right.

Clemson has already announced they will be operating at full capacity for football, which I assume must have been cleared with the NCAA.  If schools don’t open up 100% for football this fall you are going to see programs cut let and right.
The NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction over regular season home events, only sanctioned playoffs when it comes to things like that.

Even CNN starting to wonder what Biden’s message is.

White House COVID-19 czar pressed on why Biden still wears mask indoors around other vaccinated people

Jeff Zients says CDC guidance 'will allow vaccinated people more and more privileges to take off that mask'

White House COVID-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients was asked Sunday to explain why President Biden still wears a mask during press briefings despite being fully vaccinated and standing in a room with fully vaccinated journalists.

"Is it really necessary for a fully vaccinated person to wear a mask at a limited indoor gathering if everyone there is vaccinated?" CNN host Jake Tapper asked Zients during an interview on "State of the Union."

"Well, the CDC [U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] has given guidance that when you’re with family and friends that are vaccinated in small groups you don’t need a mask," Zients said. But Tapper pressed, "So why does President Biden in a room full of vaccinated journalists, everybody in that room vaccinated, why does he need to wear a mask?"

"The president is going to continue to follow the CDC guidance," Zients continued. "It's just a matter of a few weeks ago when an all states made vaccines eligible for all Americans. So there still are Americans who want to get vaccinated, who may just have their first shot and are waiting for their second shot or who haven't had an opportunity to get their first shot."

Biden set a goal for 70% of Americans to receive at least the first shot of the vaccine by July 4. As of Sunday, that number stands at 58%, Zients said, adding that the Biden administration would continue to look to chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to determine whether follow-up booster shots will be necessary this fall.

"We all want to get back to a normal lifestyle. I think we're on the path to do that. But stay disciplined and let's take advantage of the new privileges of being vaccinated and not wearing a mask outdoors, for example, unless you're in a crowded place," Zients said. "As we all move toward that 70 percent goal, there'll be more and more advantages to being vaccinated. And if you're not vaccinated, you're not protected."

Tapper still pressed the issue as to why Biden would wear a mask in a room of fully vaccinated people.

"I think one of the reasons why journalists are annoyingly harping on this ... and some health experts are ... is because there is a light at the end of the tunnel and President Biden being able to take off his mask in a room full of journalists and White House staffers, all of whom are fully vaccinated, is a demonstration that the vaccines work," Tapper offered. "You and I are both vaccinated and you and I are in a room together talking. And I have no fear that I'm going to get the virus from you and I assume vice versa. And I think the concern is that by being overly cautious, the signal is going out to the public that there isn't necessarily light at the end of the tunnel."

Neither Tapper nor Zients were wearing masks while they sat across from each other in the indoor studio.

To that, Zients responded, "Everyone is tired, and wearing a mask is, can be a pain, but we're getting there and the light at the end of the tunnel is brighter and brighter. Let's keep up our guard. Let's follow the CDC guidance. And the CDC guidance across time will allow vaccinated people more and more privileges to take off that mask."

Masks will be mostly gone in under six weeks, not six months.

It's not a huge imposition to wear one.  Wearing a mask also provides no significant benefits if you've been vaccinated.  Very low benefit, very low cost.  No big deal one way or the other.  There's really no reason to hassle anybody regardless.

Self-awareness is a gift you give yourself.

At the heart of this discussion I sense a feeling of disdain for experts. Anti-intellectualism. It’s very bothersome. 
Public-facing experts like Fauci have been consistently wrong about important stuff since the pandemic started.  They were wrong about masks.  (That's the charitable way to put it -- really, they just lied, but the result is the same).  They were wrong about fomite transmission.  They were wrong about outdoor transmission.  They were wrong to pause the J&J vaccine.  They were intentionally misleading about whether vaccines inhibit transmission.  I mean, the CDC is literally just now acknowledging aerosol spread, which the rest of us have known about for a year or so.  

The reason why the experts were so wrong so often isn't because they're stupid or evil.  It's just because they aren't optimizing for being right.  They're optimizing for "no bad press" or "don't approve a bad drug" or "say whatever makes people behave carefully" etc., all of which might be kind of okay on their own, but a) that doesn't change the fact that their primary concern is something other than being right and b) infectious disease experts have zero special expertise in public messaging -- they're not actually experts at what they're trying to accomplish.

If you followed the right people or just followed along with the FFA covid-19 thread, you consistently out-performed the experts. The reason is because we ignored the people like Fauci who are really just doing PR, not disease, and we listened to people with similar levels of expertise who were optimizing for being right.  That's not disdain for experts.  It's listening to the right experts.

Masks will be mostly gone in under six weeks, not six months.

It's not a huge imposition to wear one.  Wearing a mask also provides no significant benefits if you've been vaccinated.  Very low benefit, very low cost.  No big deal one way or the other.  There's really no reason to hassle anybody regardless.

Self-awareness is a gift you give yourself.
Agreed.  I think 4-6 weeks and that's it.  There's no benefit to waiting longer.  Everyone who will have wanted the vaccine by then could have gotten it and had it take effect.  There's no more benefit to waiting til December 1 from July 1.

The focus on Face The Nation this morning was on the poor economic numbers (April jobs report coming in at about one quarter of projections) and should we start accelerating the reopening both indoors and outdoors.  Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb made a compelling case that we are at the point right now where we should be getting back to normal.  He used the example of San Francisco where there are only 20 cases a day now with over 70% of the population vaccinated and very good testing in place - “They don’t need mask ordinances indoors anymore and certainly not outside”.

The focus on Face The Nation this morning was on the poor economic numbers (April jobs report coming in at about one quarter of projections) and should we start accelerating the reopening both indoors and outdoors.  Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb made a compelling case that we are at the point right now where we should be getting back to normal.  He used the example of San Francisco where there are only 20 cases a day now with over 70% of the population vaccinated and very good testing in place - “They don’t need mask ordinances indoors anymore and certainly not outside”.
I started following Scott Gottlieb early on during the pandemic on Twitter.  He's been pretty spot on with his analysis and looking forward

The last specific comment by Fauci on when we’d start seeing mask mandates lifted was back in March on CNN when he said that he’d want the number of new daily cases to be “10,000 and maybe even considerably less than that.”  NATIONALLY.  That’s why this clown shouldn’t be setting policy.  The economy is at a precarious point and we need people back at work.

The last specific comment by Fauci on when we’d start seeing mask mandates lifted was back in March on CNN when he said that he’d want the number of new daily cases to be “10,000 and maybe even considerably less than that.”  NATIONALLY.  That’s why this clown shouldn’t be setting policy.  The economy is at a precarious point and we need people back at work.
what does a mask mandate have to do with this? 

aren't most places open or getting there?  

Lmao.  “Remember 2016-2020” is half your posts.  Every thread.  It’s comical. 
Link to it being half my posts?  I have roughly 4,848 posts.  So you'll need to provide proof that 2424 of them are "Remember 2016-2020". 

Also, I say it because it's true.  I can't help you don't want to face it.  :shrug:

All I can do is lead you to the water.  I can't make you drink it.

Users who are viewing this thread