What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask? (3 Viewers)

I think it's basic leadership 101.  I understand there is the argument that he could lead by example of him being vaccinated means no need for a mask.  But that message would get twisted by every conservative talking head kook out there..  So now when people see him they see we still got a virus problem.

Plus as someone said earlier - wearing one even when vaccinated is comforting to the general public - they don't know if you have been vaccinated or not.

I don't see any dogma - he's not creating facts.
The fact that masks are a comforting symbol is the result of the dogma.

It is ridiculous imo.

It’s fine to disagree, but human physiology doesn’t support your opinion.

And there are many mechanisms which promote passing out, some of which are associated with a sensation of shortness of breath despite normal oxygenation. Exertional syncope (medical jargon for passing out with activity) usually mandates a cardiac work up, as even young athletes can have structural heart problems and arrhythmias.

As an aside, I frequently exercise at work by climbing flights of stairs while wearing a mask. It’s hot and unpleasant, and my breathing feels restricted. But I know it doesn’t impair anything essential, so I just put up with it.

I guess I could try checking my pulse and oximetry with and without the mask, to see if there is any objective difference.
Already been done

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain the dogma....and look up the definition before you reply 
The definition is the explanation.

The CDC itself leads with labratory studies of cloth masks and an obervational study of 2 (yes, two) hairstylists and their customers.  The studies in general are observational, and rely on interviews.

But don't you dare question it.  Or wonder why you need to wear one when vaccinated.  Or wonder why you wear one walking to a table then take it off when you sit down then put it on to go to the bathroom then take it off when you get back then put in back on to walk out.  

Dogma - a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.  Masks are now a political symbol.

The definition is the explanation.

The CDC itself leads with labratory studies of cloth masks and an obervational study of 2 (yes, two) hairstylists and their customers.  The studies in general are observational, and rely on interviews.

But don't you dare question it.  Or wonder why you need to wear one when vaccinated.  Or wonder why you wear one walking to a table then take it off when you sit down then put it on to go to the bathroom then take it off when you get back then put in back on to walk out.  

Dogma - a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.  Masks are now a political symbol.
Thanks for the reply but I don’t see most of this as incontrovertibly truths.  A lot of it is precautionary.

When The NY Times starts piling on about ridicule mask mandates outdoors, probably time to revise the guidance...

‘A huge exaggeration’

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission.

But the number is almost certainly misleading.

It appears to be based partly on a misclassification of some Covid transmission that actually took place in enclosed spaces (as I explain below). An even bigger issue is the extreme caution of C.D.C. officials, who picked a benchmark — 10 percent — so high that nobody could reasonably dispute it.

That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent, multiple epidemiologists told me. The rare outdoor transmission that has happened almost all seems to have involved crowded places or close conversation.

Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.

This isn’t just a gotcha math issue. It is an example of how the C.D.C. is struggling to communicate effectively, and leaving many people confused about what’s truly risky. C.D.C. officials have placed such a high priority on caution that many Americans are bewildered by the agency’s long list of recommendations. Zeynep Tufekci of the University of North Carolina, writing in The Atlantic, called those recommendations “simultaneously too timid and too complicated.”

They continue to treat outdoor transmission as a major risk. The C.D.C. says that unvaccinated people should wear masks in most outdoor settings and vaccinated people should wear them at “large public venues”; summer camps should require children to wear masks virtually “at all times.”

These recommendations would be more grounded in science if anywhere close to 10 percent of Covid transmission were occurring outdoors. But it is not. There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.

Today’s newsletter will be a bit longer than usual, so I can explain how the C.D.C. ended up promoting a misleading number.

The Singapore mystery

If you read the academic research that the C.D.C. has cited in defense of the 10 percent benchmark, you will notice something strange. A very large share of supposed cases of outdoor transmission have occurred in a single setting: construction sites in Singapore.

In one study, 95 of 10,926 worldwide instances of transmission are classified as outdoors; all 95 are from Singapore construction sites. In another study, four of 103 instances are classified as outdoors; again, all four are from Singapore construction sites.

This obviously doesn’t make much sense. It instead appears to be a misunderstanding that resembles the childhood game of telephone, in which a message gets garbled as it passes from one person to the next.

The Singapore data originally comes from a government database there. That database does not categorize the construction-site cases as outdoor transmission, Yap Wei Qiang, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health, told my colleague Shashank Bengali. “We didn’t classify it according to outdoors or indoors,” Yap said. “It could have been workplace transmission where it happens outdoors at the site, or it could also have happened indoors within the construction site.”

As Shashank did further reporting, he discovered reasons to think that many of the infections may have occurred indoors. At some of the individual construction sites where Covid spread — like a complex for the financial firm UBS and a skyscraper project called Project Glory — the concrete shells for the buildings were largely completed before the pandemic began. (This video of Project Glory was shot more than four months before Singapore’s first reported Covid case.)

Because Singapore is hot year-round, the workers would have sought out the shade of enclosed spaces to hold meetings and eat lunch together, Alex Au of Transient Workers Count Too, an advocacy group, told Shashank. Electricians and plumbers would have worked in particularly close contact.

Migrant workers in Singapore being tested for Covid-19 last year.How Hwee Young/EPA, via Shutterstock

Are schools outdoors?

How, then, did the Singapore cases get classified as they did?

When academic researchers began collecting Covid data from around the world, many chose to define outdoors spaces very broadly. They deemed almost any setting that was a mix of outdoors and indoors to be outdoors.

“We had to settle on one classification for building sites,” Quentin Leclerc, a French researcher and co-author of one of the papers analyzing Singapore, told me, “and ultimately decided on a conservative outdoor definition.” Another paper, published in the Journal of Infection and Public Health, counted only two settings as indoors: “mass accommodation and residential facilities.” It defined all of these settings as outdoors: “workplace, health care, education, social events, travel, catering, leisure and shopping.”

I understand why the researchers preferred a broad definition. They wanted to avoid missing instances of outdoor transmission and mistakenly suggesting that the outdoors was safer than it really was. But the approach had a big downside. It meant that the researchers counted many instances of indoors transmission as outdoors.

And yet even with this approach, they found a minuscule share of total transmission to have occurred outdoors. In the paper with 95 supposedly outdoor cases from Singapore, those cases nonetheless made up less than 1 percent of the total. A study from Ireland, which seems to have been more precise about the definition of outdoors, put the share of such transmission at 0.1 percent. A study of 7,324 cases from China found a single instance of outdoor transmission, involving a conversation between two people.

“I’m sure it’s possible for transmission to occur outdoors in the right circumstances,” Dr. Aaron Richterman of the University of Pennsylvania told me, “but if we had to put a number on it, I would say much less than 1 percent.”

Customers at a pub in Bexleyheath, England, after a national lockdown was lifted last month.Mary Turner for The New York Times

Britain’s scientific approach

I asked the C.D.C. how it could justify the 10 percent benchmark, and an official there sent this statement:

There are limited data on outdoor transmission. The data we do have supports the hypothesis that the risk of outdoor transmission is low. 10 percent is a conservative estimate from a recent systematic review of peer-reviewed papers. CDC cannot provide the specific risk level for every activity in every community and errs on the side of protection when it comes to recommending steps to protect health. It is important for people and communities to consider their own situations and risks and to take appropriate steps to protect their health.

Erring on the side of protection — by exaggerating the risks of outdoor transmission — may seem to have few downsides. But it has contributed to widespread public confusion about what really matters. Some Americans are ignoring the C.D.C.’s elaborate guidelines and ditching their masks, even indoors, while others continue to harass people who walk around outdoors without a mask.

All the while, the scientific evidence points to a conclusion that is much simpler than the C.D.C.’s message: Masks make a huge difference indoors and rarely matter outdoors.

The health authorities in Britain, notably, seem to have figured this out. They have been more aggressive about restricting indoor behavior, locking down many businesses again late last year and requiring masks indoors even as most of the country is vaccinated. Outdoors, however, masks remain rare.

It certainly doesn’t seem to be causing problems. Since January, daily Covid deaths in Britain have declined more than 99 percent.

And now an anecdote... Was running Sunday on a remote track in CT.  One lady was there walking on the track, wearing a mask.  Gave me a dirty look for not wearing a mask and stormed off the track.  And this while the CT Governor is predicting herd immunity by this summer, with 71 percent of everyone in Connecticut over the age of 18 having already received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.  And Biden reinforces this stupidity when he walks around outdoors with a mask on.

Thanks for the reply but I don’t see most of this as incontrovertibly truths.  A lot of it is precautionary.
If you don't think mask wearing is an incontrovertible truth, then you and I agree.  :hifive:

Of course this makes it weird that it has anything to do with leadership.

Honestly, you can cite any medical study you want and I’ll never be convinced that masks don’t reduce reduce oxygenation when racing, especially at the elite level.  I’ve been involved with elite running at the high school and college D1 level for a while now.  My son runs at Clemson and a couple years ago he started training with a mask to simulate the altitude training that elite runners do to increase their VO2 Max.  He eventually bagged it because he started feeling dizzy on some of his runs and it freaked him out.  He’s going out to Colorado to do altitude training in a few weeks and two of the conditions are that he run with someone at all times and that he NOT wear a mask.
We had a fit high school football coach try running stadium steps with one here before they started practicing football this past year. Dude had to throw in the towel with the mask. Maybe it’s a mix of Alabama heat and humidity but he couldn’t cope with that strenuous of activity in the heat with a mask. 

These are the government experts that tim tells us we should follow slavishly.
Slavishly is not a word I would use (not sure I ever have.) 

Experts are not to be absolutely followed, nobody is. But I do think that as a general rule we should give their advice greater weight than, say, somebody with political motivations. 

Just reporting the Bovada odds, sir.  :shrug:
Right, now imagine what happens to the odds if either of the other two announce they are running.  If Trump announced he would instantly become the favorite and that would be an apples to apples comparisons.  Except Joe might be a bad apple because there is significant chance he doesn't make it that long which you can see reflected in the Harris price.  

Insulting Biden’s mental acuity after the last guy seriously suggested injecting disinfectant 🤣
During a coronavirus press briefing, President Trump floated the idea of using disinfectants and sunlight to treat COVID-19 patients. 

Trump has since walked back those remarks, and several websites and social media posts have taken them out of context.

The briefing transcript shows that Trump did not say people should inject themselves with bleach or alcohol to treat the coronavirus. He was asking officials on the White House coronavirus task force whether they could be used in potential cures.
https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/context-what-donald-trump-said-about-disinfectant-/

Right, now imagine what happens to the odds if either of the other two announce they are running.  If Trump announced he would instantly become the favorite and that would be an apples to apples comparisons.  Except Joe might be a bad apple because there is significant chance he doesn't make it that long which you can see reflected in the Harris price.  
Yeah, I don't care.   

You don’t think Trump will lose support for continuing to spout the obvious lie that the election was stolen? Won’t people get tired of being lied to?

You don’t think Trump will lose support for continuing to spout the obvious lie that the election was stolen? Won’t people get tired of being lied to?
He told people to inject themselves with bleach and still very nearly won reelection.  His base just doesn't care.

About the odds, me neither.  But, you wondered why people can claim Biden is declining physically and/or mentally.  It's because it's true and you can see it right there in the odds. 
What I'm wondering is why it's okay to attack Biden in here for his mental acuity when any attacks on Trump for the same were met with the report button and an order not to say anything bad about Trump's mental or physical traits.  Goose/gander and all that.

Why would he become the favorite when he just got his can kicked six months ago?

The gambling sites made a killing on the 2020 election because they couldn't post odds bad enough to deter Trump supporters.  The odds have nothing to do with childish claims of Biden's mental acuity, and everything to do with the fact that Trump bettors are willing to make irrational bets.   Something like 80% of the money bet was on Trump.   Gambling sites will continue to cash in on this, which is why Trump is a heavy favorite to win the Republican nomination even though he probably won't run.

What I'm wondering is why it's okay to attack Biden in here for his mental acuity when any attacks on Trump for the same were met with the report button and an order not to say anything bad about Trump's mental or physical traits.  Goose/gander and all that.
I have a theory on this...

Yea, I probably served 10+ months on TO in 2020 for stuff like this.

Yeah, most of us did do time for insults lobbed at Trump.  And yet day after day after day in here it's "Gee, I wonder if Biden even knows where he is" hahahahahalalollllllooooolooollooooo

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
I hear ya. 

I mean, I'm not saying that after living through 2020... I could probably use some sensitivity training.

But somebody has an itchy report finger around here.

I hear ya. 

I mean, I'm not saying that after living through 2020... I could probably use some sensitivity training.

But somebody has an itchy report finger around here.
Ehh, it goes both ways.  Calling AOC a moron gets you a time out.  Calling Biden or Trump would get you a time out as well.  Seems silly but it is their board and their rules.  We are all adults and as long as we aren't attacking other members it seems okay to me.

Why would he become the favorite when he just got his can kicked six months ago?
It's simple math.  One shoe in nomination for the Republicans and (despite Biden saying he intends to run again) the Democrats do not know who their nominee is. The odds say it's likely Biden or Harris with the edge to Harris right now.

DeSantis is probably about +800? right now and that support goes to Trump if he announces.  Now if Trump looses support of the Republicans, or legit challenger shows up and announces they are running the odds would change again.

I wouldn't recommend wagering lots of money without understanding how odds work.

Users who are viewing this thread