Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Why is Biden Still Wearing a Mask?

6 hours ago, ekbeats said:

Honestly, you can cite any medical study you want and I’ll never be convinced that masks don’t reduce reduce oxygenation when racing, especially at the elite level.  I’ve been involved with elite running at the high school and college D1 level for a while now.  My son runs at Clemson and a couple years ago he started training with a mask to simulate the altitude training that elite runners do to increase their VO2 Max.  He eventually bagged it because he started feeling dizzy on some of his runs and it freaked him out.  He’s going out to Colorado to do altitude training in a few weeks and two of the conditions are that he run with someone at all times and that he NOT wear a mask.

When one makes up their mind purely based on anecdote, then declares no amount of scientific evidence will alter their stance, it doesn’t really promote meaningful discussion, does it?

To be fair, there is little research on face masks and high intensity exercise. I found one review that mentions some impact (though not hypoxia) in those wearing N95 masks or full respirators:

Although moderate physical activity (walking on a treadmill at 2.5 miles/h) while wearing an N95 respirator did not appear to have any effect on ventilation [11], to date, there are not many studies that have examined higher intensities of exercise while wearing a mask. The World Health Organization does not currently recommend wearing a mask while exercising [26], and the CDC recognizes that it may be difficult to wear a mask during high intensity physical activities [4]. Research examining military grade respirators suggest that there may be alterations to ventilation during high exercise intensities above 85% of maximum oxygen consumption [27]. This finding was also supported by a recent study that examined the impact of wearing a surgical vs. N95 face mask on cardiopulmonary exercise capacity in 12 healthy males. It was reported that during an ergometer incremental exertion test (i.e., high intensity test to exhaustion), pulmonary function and ventilation were significantly reduced with the use of either mask. Cardiopulmonary exercise capacity was also reduced with mask wearing (lower peak blood lactate response), and participants also reported discomfort while wearing the mask, especially the N95 [28]. It is important to note, however, that these studies examined very high intensity exercise, a level likely higher than an average workout for most individuals. Humidity [29], temperature [29], type of mask [28] and intensity of exercise [28] all appear to impact the effects of a mask during exercise, and should be taken into consideration if making a choice to wear a mask during exercise or not. To our knowledge, there are no studies that examine O2 saturation or the partial pressure of oxygen in response to exercise with a mask. At these high exercise intensities, we would expect that, while oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations in the blood may remain relatively stable, there would be discomfort related to the temperature of the skin created by the mask and the breathing resistance caused by the mask. Exercisers may either need to persist through increased discomfort or lower their exercise intensity while wearing a mask if discomfort exists. Additionally, wearing loser cloth masks made with wicking materials that do not hold moisture should improve comfort during exercise.

• Like 2
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife and I are both fully vaccinated. We both still wear a mask in public as a courtesy to others who don't know we're vaccinated. It's really no big deal.

He's the leader of all Americans....even those who haven't gotten vaccinated.  It's nice to see a POTUS not just thinking about those Americans within his personal Venn Diagram.  

Upset on a Friday about a man you don't know wearing a mask.  Good stuff, Conservative Justice Warriors.

3 hours ago, Shula-holic said:

We had a fit high school football coach try running stadium steps with one here before they started practicing football this past year. Dude had to throw in the towel with the mask. Maybe it’s a mix of Alabama heat and humidity but he couldn’t cope with that strenuous of activity in the heat with a mask. 

Sure, it’s miserable exercising with a mask. My only point is, it doesn’t meaningfully impact gas exchange, despite all the cries of masks restricting oxygen.

And FTR, I’m not mandating mask use during exercise, or outdoors, unless vulnerable people are packed in close quarters for extended periods. Even then, it’s not entirely clear how much risk is incurred going to something like an outdoor concert.

Throughout the pandemic I’ve biked, hiked, ran and climbed maskless. The only time I've exercised with a mask was at work, in a hospital that cares for covid patients.

4 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

When one makes up their mind purely based on anecdote, then declares no amount of scientific evidence will alter their stance, it doesn’t really promote meaningful discussion, does it?

To be fair, there is little research on face masks and high intensity exercise. I found one review that mentions some impact (though not hypoxia) in those wearing N95 masks or full respirators:

It was reported that during an ergometer incremental exertion test (i.e., high intensity test to exhaustion), pulmonary function and ventilation were significantly reduced with the use of either mask.

15 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I'll take anecdotal and some common sense every time over someone in the medial profession whose already prescribed the exact same thing their minds to everyone despite repeated acknowledgement of the lack of research.

1 hour ago, dozer said:

It’ll wipe it out! In a minute!!

Facts hurt, especially when the cognitive dissonance is strong.  It'll be OK, just stay in your "Trump is a meany dummyhead" space.  👍 

1 hour ago, JerryG said:

Jerry, you’re better than this.

Trump did what he always does, make tangential, rambling insinuations without saying much of substance:

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful."

While he didn’t point blank advocate injecting bleach, asking about the utility of injecting disinfectant and bringing light “inside the body” is still patently ridiculous.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

It was reported that during an ergometer incremental exertion test (i.e., high intensity test to exhaustion), pulmonary function and ventilation were significantly reduced with the use of either mask.

Yes, I found some research to help support your stance. But impairment in pulmonary function and ventilation weren’t due to hypoxia in those studies.

Edited by Terminalxylem
28 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Trump did what he always does, make tangential, rambling insinuations without saying much of substance:

While he didn’t point blank advocate injecting bleach, asking about the utility of injecting disinfectant and bringing light “inside the body” is still patently ridiculous.

I respectfully submit that neither is patently ridiculous; I'll further submit that bringing light "inside the body" is patently feasible.  Lots of things were patently ridiculous, until the capability was invented.  I wonder how long ago a super smart chat board poster would have called an mRNA vaccine "patently ridiculous?"

I don't understand the use of "insinuations," but I'll concede tangential and not much substance.  Rambling, sure I guess, but we can replace that with Biden's incoherent mumbling and lost train of thought if you'd prefer.  I also don't know what substance you expect from the POTUS, unless you expect him in the lab performing the experimental work.

42 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

(and hysterically funny)

2 hours ago, tonydead said:

About the odds, me neither.  But, you wondered why people can claim Biden is declining physically and/or mentally.  It's because it's true and you can see it right there in the odds

:confused: 

46 minutes ago, JerryG said:

Facts hurt, especially when the cognitive dissonance is strong.  It'll be OK, just stay in your "Trump is a meany dummyhead" space.  👍 

Those are your words.

Mine would be “incompetent” and “corrupt.”

And please, don’t inject bleach.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dozer said:

Those are your words.

Mine would be “incompetent” and “corrupt.”

And please, don’t inject bleach.

Thanks, I don't know what I'd do without you smart liberals telling me how science works!  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Doug B said:

:confused: 

Biden has announced that he plans to run again in 2024 - yes.

Harris is favored over him in the odds - yes

Why do you think that is?

Edited by tonydead
27 minutes ago, JerryG said:

Thanks, I don't know what I'd do without you smart liberals telling me how science works!  

Glad to help, bro.

31 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Actually, to be fair, Biden probably thought someone asked him if "he had the runs". 

Pretty sure he's unaware of most things nowadays.  They should probably ask the real person(s) running the country.  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

oh hahahahahahah....yet another joke about Biden's mental acuity.  Why is this crap tolerated?

People who denigrated the last President's mental acuity would get suspensions.The moderation standards for this insulting POTUS appear to be much more lenient.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, tonydead said:

It's simple math.  One shoe in nomination for the Republicans and (despite Biden saying he intends to run again) the Democrats do not know who their nominee is. The odds say it's likely Biden or Harris with the edge to Harris right now.

DeSantis is probably about +800? right now and that support goes to Trump if he announces.  Now if Trump looses support of the Republicans, or legit challenger shows up and announces they are running the odds would change again.

I wouldn't recommend wagering lots of money without understanding how odds work.

But it’s not the odds to win the primary - so the support doesn’t stack.

13 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Which is a good thing in my opinion and we should probably stop complaining about it.  

I agree. It doesn't bother me when the many far right wing posters on here insult various left wing, center left, or centrist pols. I only object to the moderation standards that favor the far right posters. Apparently that's the standard the site owner wants from the mods. 

1 hour ago, Insomniac said:

People who denigrated the last President's mental acuity would get suspensions.The moderation standards for this insulting POTUS appear to be much more lenient.

certain people lean on the report button a lot harder than others

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, -fish- said:

certain people lean on the report button a lot harder than others

Without a doubt. Just a bunch of hypocrites.  I’ve resorted to using the ignore function more.  No sense in trying to have an educated argument with someone who thinks they’re right because they got the last word in and uses one of these :lmao:

Edited by Shawnky
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, JerryG said:

I respectfully submit that neither is patently ridiculous; I'll further submit that bringing light "inside the body" is patently feasible.  Lots of things were patently ridiculous, until the capability was invented.  I wonder how long ago a super smart chat board poster would have called an mRNA vaccine "patently ridiculous?"

I don't understand the use of "insinuations," but I'll concede tangential and not much substance.  Rambling, sure I guess, but we can replace that with Biden's incoherent mumbling and lost train of thought if you'd prefer.  I also don't know what substance you expect from the POTUS, unless you expect him in the lab performing the experimental work.

You’re trying too hard. His statements were ridiculous. This isn’t about keeping an open mind to some sort of medical breakthrough. No one expects (or wants) scientific commentary from the POTUS, especially one with absolutely no training/experience in anything remotely related to virology/infection control.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, General Malaise said:

oh hahahahahahah....yet another joke about Biden's mental acuity.  Why is this crap tolerated?

because Biden shows signs of dementia on a weekly basis is why I continue to point it out (he's 78, that's old, old people lose their concentration and thoughts and mental capacity) and why is it tolerated?  because the liberals on this board hammered Trump daily, the name calling was relentless and what's fair is fair I'd imagine is why ... its a point of view and I can back it easily with video's of Biden's speeches and comments since becomes President

remember Democrats questioning Trump's mental state?  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Insomniac said:

I do not know of anyone suspended for bashing Trump and name calling Trump and supporting the attacks on his capabilities to run the country's

I got a 3 months suspension for a comment on Biden a few weeks before the election though, I do know that

I hope Joe does a full 4 years, I hope he doesn't have a mental issue and I hope he leads this nation strong. I question all those things ... but I do hope what's best for the nation 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

because Biden shows signs of dementia on a weekly basis is why I continue to point it out (he's 78, that's old, old people lose their concentration and thoughts and mental capacity) and why is it tolerated?  because the liberals on this board hammered Trump daily, the name calling was relentless and what's fair is fair I'd imagine is why ... its a point of view and I can back it easily with video's of Biden's speeches and comments since becomes President

remember Democrats questioning Trump's mental state?  

It wasn't just Democrats.

3 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

You’re trying too hard. His statements were ridiculous. This isn’t about keeping an open mind to some sort of medical breakthrough. No one expects (or wants) scientific commentary from the POTUS, especially one with absolutely no training/experience in anything remotely related to virology/infection control.

I agree that there is a lot of try-hard going on in this thread.  Heck, I’m arguing with adults about Trump telling people to inject bleach.  If you read or listen to the actual transcript, he absolutely was “keeping an open mind” about looking for medical breakthroughs.  He’s an idea guy, not a rocket surgeon.  And an optimist.

Of course, some people view him through a very different lens.  If you believe he led Hagar the Horrible to storm the Capitol to take selfies at Pelosi’s desk, and that this was the greatest threat to our democracy since the Civil War, then yeah, the “corrupt” Nazi fascist evil orange man was encouraging people to freebase Lysol.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, JerryG said:

I agree that there is a lot of try-hard going on in this thread.  Heck, I’m arguing with adults about Trump telling people to inject bleach.  If you read or listen to the actual transcript, he absolutely was “keeping an open mind” about looking for medical breakthroughs.  He’s an idea guy, not a rocket surgeon.  And an optimist.

Of course, some people view him through a very different lens.  If you believe he led Hagar the Horrible to storm the Capitol to take selfies at Pelosi’s desk, and that this was the greatest threat to our democracy since the Civil War, then yeah, the “corrupt” Nazi fascist evil orange man was encouraging people to freebase Lysol.  

:goodposting:  So true.  Hagar the Horrible, lolz.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JerryG said:

No, this isn't more dismissive "Orange Man Bad" fluff. What he said (I copied the transcript in my earlier post btw) was ridiculous and unwarranted. While I don't think there was real danger of anyone acting on his ideas, at the minimum it was just another display of comical arrogance from the POTUS.

But maybe all the researchers were caught in a pessimistic rut and needed him to inject some "outside the box" hypotheses as a reminder to act more like, ummm, scientists? 

On 5/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, top dog said:

I think the obvious answer to the question as to "why does Biden still wear a Mask?" is to control us. Duh. At least that is what I have been told for months by some people. Masks = control = well.. I'm not sure what is next but it is obviously something HORRIBLE. Probably socialism? Or even worse, communism? I've never had one of those folks articulate the end game to me, but they sure do seem to be pretty passionate and angry about it.

I'm fully vaccinated. Have supported mask mandates. Social distancing, etc. Wear a mask anywhere that is required of me at this point to set a good example, but I'm ok with ripping the mask off as soon as the mandates drop. I'm guessing we will be dropping ours in this state around June 15? Takes 6 weeks from start to finish with the Moderna vax. Once everyone who wants to be vaccinated can get vaccinated, drop the mandates. Those who chose to take the risk, well you are on your own. Local mass vaccination places and drug stores around here started taking walk-ins about a week ago. 6 weeks later puts us around June 15th. That is were I'm pulling that number out of my butt from.

I was off by two weeks. Governor just announced June 2nd all health mandates ending.

• Like 1
On 5/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, tonydead said:

I believe this was covered upthread. Trump voters are prone to making stupid bets. And they're willing to put money on Harris because of the garbage they've heard about it being a fait accompli that Biden dies, or abdicates, or whatever other skullduggery they believe in. And the books LOVE to make money off of bad bettors, hence the Harris odds.

You led us to believe you were good at this...

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Herb said:

I believe this was covered upthread. Trump voters are prone to making stupid bets. And they're willing to put money on Harris because of the garbage they've heard about it being a fait accompli that Biden dies, or abdicates, or whatever other skullduggery they believe in. And the books LOVE to make money off of bad bettors, hence the Harris odds.

You led us to believe you were good at this...

Worst take ever. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
8 hours ago, JerryG said:

Trump was being sarcastic about his bleach comments, not “an optimist”, at least according to him.

Hardcore Republicans hold him responsible for Jan 6th riots. When the President makes stuff up for months bad things can happen. Many people are are easily manipulated. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, top dog said:

I was off by two weeks. Governor just announced June 2nd all health mandates ending.

Neanderthals.

Edited by ekbeats
46 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Worst take ever. 

Coming from you, this is hysterical. 

Irony may not be dead, but self-awareness sure is. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Herb said:

Coming from you, this is hysterical. 

Irony may not be dead, but self-awareness sure is. 

Trump supporters betting on Harris and books setting odds based on emotion. :lmao:

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Trump supporters betting on Harris and books setting odds based on emotion. :lmao:

Not quite what I said, but you know that, you're smart. Or so you keep telling us.

Edited by Herb
  • Laughing 1
3 minutes ago, Herb said:

Not quite what I said, but you know that, you're smart. Or so you keep telling us.

That was hilarious. You werent joking?  Ooof.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

I do not know of anyone suspended for bashing Trump and name calling Trump and supporting the attacks on his capabilities to run the country's

I got a 3 months suspension for a comment on Biden a few weeks before the election though, I do know that

I hope Joe does a full 4 years, I hope he doesn't have a mental issue and I hope he leads this nation strong. I question all those things ... but I do hope what's best for the nation 

:bye:  Got 3 1/2 months for a joke about Trump and Trump Jr.  So now you know someone. 

Edited by dkp993
On 5/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, tonydead said:

This reply is ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Two true statements and a question to which the answer should be obvious. :thumbup:

Could be that he would be less palatable being 4 years older.

or that Harris might turn out more votes at the top of the ticket

But keep with the ridiculously flawed logic - do what you do

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Could be that he would be less palatable being 4 years older.

That's a very generous way to say it. 

Edited by tonydead
1 hour ago, tonydead said:

one of the mods here posted a lengthy article on how the books preyed on Trump supporters betting irrationally in the presidential election.  books set lines bases on public emotion all the time.

5 minutes ago, -fish- said:

one of the mods here posted a lengthy article on how the books preyed on Trump supporters betting irrationally in the presidential election.  books set lines bases on public emotion all the time.

I wasn't talking about betters emotions.

:lmao:. JFC, you cant make this stuff up. Please don't make me explain it to you.  

1 hour ago, tonydead said:

I wasn't talking about betters emotions.

:lmao:. JFC, you cant make this stuff up. Please don't make me explain it to you.  

I think we're all good with regard to more of your explanations. Thanks, though.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, The General said:

Trump was being sarcastic about his bleach comments, not “an optimist”, at least according to him.

Hardcore Republicans hold him responsible for Jan 6th riots. When the President makes stuff up for months bad things can happen. Many people are are easily manipulated. 

I don’t know why otherwise reasonable, intelligent people continue to defend that bozo. The cult of personality surrounding Trump is baffling.

• Like 1