What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The INFLATION Thread, aka “The Putin Price Hike” (1 Viewer)

First time buying a Christmas tree?  This is historically the most expensive week. 
Christmas tree price calculator

From 2019 - Square data shows that the Christmas tree buying season kicks into high gear on Black Friday with an average price of $79, and prices spike on Cyber Monday, reaching $84. For customers seeking a deal, holding out until the week before Christmas could save you up to 29%. Prices for procrastinators hit an all-time low on Christmas Eve at $50.
Good one.  :ph34r:

You do seem like the guy that gets a tree the week before Xmas. We buy them same time every year so the year over year comparison is valid. Sorry. 

We haven’t done it in a long time but when we did it was for fairly obviously reasons - family time picking out the tree (even better was cut your own back in the day), they smell nice and look better - or did for the longest time - now the artificial ones look great and pre-lit is fantastic.  
We used to buy live trees all the time.  Our yard was full of long needle white pine trees.  I just never understood buying cut trees.  They were always more expensive and they were dead.

I am far from an economist, and probably wrong about all of this, but to me the inflation concerns seem massively overblown.

Obviously printing all that money is going to cause some inflation, but the big and obvious question is how much of "inflation" is actually inflation, and how much of it is supply/demand.  In almost every field demand has massively increased, while supply has massively decreased.

Again, I am far from an economist capable of answering this question, but to me the big tell is that the people that have both the knowledge to answer it, and the money on the line to really put their money where their mouth is, seem largely unconcerned.

And by that I mean the stock market.  Growth stocks notoriously get pummeled during times of inflation, and growth stocks have been on a massive run the last year.  Granted they've had a solid pullback the last couple days on Omicron and fed tapering news, but they've risen massively right in the face of all the inflation talks over the last few months/year.  These are people with far more insight into inflation than us, willing to put their entire livelihoods on the line by continuing to invest in inflation-averse equities while all these inflation "fears" ramble on.  Meanwhile we sit here on the internet and proclaim that we know better, my Christmas tree was more expensive, the end is nigh.

Look at this chart of inflation.

Just kidding, that's not a chart of inflation.  That's a chart of global freight shipping costs.  it just happens to look almost exactly like the "inflation" chart.  Coincidence, or partial causation?

We didn't just start printing money.  The bulk of it was more than a year ago.  Inflation didn't escalate slowly since we started printing it.  It held fairly steady, then all of the sudden shot to the moon in the very same month that shipping costs and supply shortages blew up.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But seems dubious.

Again, I am no economist.  Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.  The people who have the most knowledge and the most to lose seem to be betting on inflation not being a major concern.  The shortages seem to line up with price increases almost to the day.  Of course cars are more expensive right now.  You can drive by dealerships that typically have 200 cars on the lot and you're lucky if you can find 2.  Obviously they are going to charge more.

Lumber I think is another great example.  Everyone started panicking about inflation when lumber shot up in price.  But it was just a shortage.  By August of this year lumber was 32% cheaper than it was in 2018 while "inflation" was up 5% over 2018.  Supply and demand.  Right now everything is in demand, and we have supply of almost nothing.

Probably totally wrong, but this is my read on it.  :shrug:

I am far from an economist, and probably wrong about all of this, but to me the inflation concerns seem massively overblown.

Obviously printing all that money is going to cause some inflation, but the big and obvious question is how much of "inflation" is actually inflation, and how much of it is supply/demand.  In almost every field demand has massively increased, while supply has massively decreased.

Again, I am far from an economist capable of answering this question, but to me the big tell is that the people that have both the knowledge to answer it, and the money on the line to really put their money where their mouth is, seem largely unconcerned.

And by that I mean the stock market.  Growth stocks notoriously get pummeled during times of inflation, and growth stocks have been on a massive run the last year.  Granted they've had a solid pullback the last couple days on Omicron and fed tapering news, but they've risen massively right in the face of all the inflation talks over the last few months/year.  These are people with far more insight into inflation than us, willing to put their entire livelihoods on the line by continuing to invest in inflation-averse equities while all these inflation "fears" ramble on.  Meanwhile we sit here on the internet and proclaim that we know better, my Christmas tree was more expensive, the end is nigh.

Look at this chart of inflation.

Just kidding, that's not a chart of inflation.  That's a chart of global freight shipping costs.  it just happens to look almost exactly like the "inflation" chart.  Coincidence, or partial causation?

We didn't just start printing money.  The bulk of it was more than a year ago.  Inflation didn't escalate slowly since we started printing it.  It held fairly steady, then all of the sudden shot to the moon in the very same month that shipping costs and supply shortages blew up.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But seems dubious.

Again, I am no economist.  Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.  The people who have the most knowledge and the most to lose seem to be betting on inflation not being a major concern.  The shortages seem to line up with price increases almost to the day.  Of course cars are more expensive right now.  You can drive by dealerships that typically have 200 cars on the lot and you're lucky if you can find 2.  Obviously they are going to charge more.

Lumber I think is another great example.  Everyone started panicking about inflation when lumber shot up in price.  But it was just a shortage.  By August of this year lumber was 32% cheaper than it was in 2018 while "inflation" was up 5% over 2018.  Supply and demand.  Right now everything is in demand, and we have supply of almost nothing.

Probably totally wrong, but this is my read on it.  :shrug:
Where is the "IT'S ALL BIDEN'S FAULT!!!" always told to us by the rolling, laughing emoji crew?

The skeptic in me thinks, “just in time for PPP loans?” There appears to have been so much fraud. (New York Times link.)
I don't know...didn't a lot of that funding dry up fast? Sole proprietor operations were at a disadvantage relative to organizations with established finance departments. By the time the former would get their ducks in a row our app's were already approved. Like anything I'm sure there were exceptions, but I'm taken aback by 15%. I don't subscribe to the times, so i cant see past the headline. Did they rule out larger organizations being a part of that sample?

I don't know...didn't a lot of that funding dry up fast? Sole proprietor operations were at a disadvantage relative to organizations with established finance departments. By the time the former would get their ducks in a row our app's were already approved. Like anything I'm sure there were exceptions, but I'm taken aback by 15%. I don't subscribe to the times, so i cant see past the headline. Did they rule out larger organizations being a part of that sample?
In the beginning it was difficult to get a PPP loan but in subsequent waves it became much easier. Most of the fraud appears to have come from online lenders. I suspect we’ll never find out the true scope of things but your article made me wonder about this.

:lol:   Thank god my employer doesn't calculate it like you do.  Nobody says hey, our employees have a lot of fixed costs, we can give them a lower cost of living raise!

Seriously, I'm super curious to see what happens early next year.  Instead of the typical ~2.5% I'm am expecting at least 6%, plus.  Social Security increased 5.9% in October and it hasn't gotten any better.  That's the highest in 40 years.  You knew that right, that's why you picked 6%?
Employers are preparing for big pay raises in 2022

Base pay may increase by an average of 3.9% in 2022, the largest one-year projected hike since 2008, according to The Conference Board's latest wage survey of 240 companies, the majority of which each employ more than 10,000 people.

tonydead said:
Thanks.  We will have to remember to revisit this in April to see what happens.   :thumbup:

I'm not getting a large pay raise.  1.25% raise and a 1.25% bonus in December plus an additional bonus in June (the June bonus is new for our company).  Expecting the June bonus to be 1.25% but maybe they'll surprise me.  Luckily, my wife is up for a big promotion at work and could see a ~30% bump in pay. 

I have my finances in order, but another 6 months of inflation could put my discretional spending budget back a couple years.  Hoping this administration can get this figured out.

Inflation hits 40 year high.  I wonder how far back they have kept track of this.  We might have to dig deeper and deeper to find the next record.

tonydead said:
Thanks.  We will have to remember to revisit this in April to see what happens.   :thumbup:
Pretty interesting article all the way around. Barley 6 months ago, these same employers were predicting a percentage point less in wages to employees but with inflation an additional factor to consider, it rises (still won't cover the impact of inflation as it sits currently, but...).  

But to me, the interesting component is what this creates. The article refers to it as "compression", where new hires get large starting salaries and suddenly the veterans at said company realize there isn't much of a gap, feel slighted, seek greener pastures, and create large veteran turnover in the workforce (and with labor shortages, it will be exacerbated).  This is a real thing, for sure. I've seen many, many times in the work environment where this scenario leads to bad blood, bad attitudes, workers leaving, etc.  

So, to me, this looks like, on the surface, a scenario where people get a lot of false hope and the current administration will be able to make it sound like a good thing but at the end of the day the average working family is still under water and companies are less stable a year from now, workforce-wise, than currently. 

Sand said:
Inflation hits 40 year high.  I wonder how far back they have kept track of this.  We might have to dig deeper and deeper to find the next record.
The unemployment rate was over 10% in 1982. Now it's 4.2 %. I'm not worried about the economy, yet.

On a positive note, this was lower than many analysts expected and stocks rose yesterday. 
And new unemployment claims were at a 50-year low.

I admit I'm biased not to worry about a short bout of moderate inflation very much because it's probably still what the doctor ordered in terms of fully getting the impacts of the Financial Crisis (increasing interest rates off 0%; winding down asset purchases by the Fed) behind us.  An actual overheating in the real (i.e. not financial) economy might be the only way that could happen without crashing everything again.

And as long as real wages keep up with inflation it's just not a big deal unless it starts getting baked into expectations.  (Not a big deal at the national level, I'm sure there are people winning and losing, just like there would be with every other change in the economy.)  IMO it seems like that's happening, but it's not completely clear yet.

Having said -- it seems clear to me that there's a global bubble in currency led by all the crypto junk and a flood of monetary stimulus in the world's reserve currency.  I think that adds up to a problem in the long run.  What happens when "bad money drives out good"?  It might not be for 10 or 20 years, but I'm trying to work out what to do about that more than I'm worried about a period of moderate inflation.  YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me guess:

1.  Pass Build Back Better

2.  Add 3T to the debt, as scored by the CBO

3.  ????

4.  Reduce inflation!

5.  Profit!
The ??? must include turning business and economic principles upside down to get both numbers 1, 2, and 4 in the same list of results.

On a positive note, this was lower than many analysts expected and stocks rose yesterday. 
Stocks, hard assets like real estate, all will be somewhat hedged against inflation.  Inflation is really going to eat up the people living paycheck to paycheck and those with a little cash set aside for emergency funds and savings.

Stocks, hard assets like real estate, all will be somewhat hedged against inflation.  Inflation is really going to eat up the people living paycheck to paycheck and those with a little cash set aside for emergency funds and savings.
Great article about assets during inflationary periods.  Basically, RE is the king here, at least historically.  Also, commodities suck.  As they seem to also suck during most other periods.

Sand said:
Great article about assets during inflationary periods.  Basically, RE is the king here, at least historically.  Also, commodities suck.  As they seem to also suck during most other periods.
I've thought for a long time that people are confused on metals and inflation -- they aren't an inflation hedge, they're a chaos/currency hedge.  And the two things sometimes go together.  I think of it like an insurance policy.

You added some zeros there.

It's 367B (billion) thru 2031.

The $3T number is an number generated by Republicans thru imaginary changes to the law.

(but you knew this already I think?)
The assumption is that the benefits part never sunsets.  Like I wrote above if passed and if there is a sunset the blue team will scream that the red team is killing babies by "taking away these essential benefits from the American people."  

The game plan here couldn't be any more obvious.

The assumption is a good one.

Buying property now is a great idea. If you think massive inflation is coming, and worthless dollars, then getting a mortgage for 500 grand is a great idea
Right now in real terms mortgages are at a negative interest rate.  I can't remember a better time to hold a mortgage at these rates.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
And new unemployment claims were at a 50-year low.

I admit I'm biased not to worry about a short bout of moderate inflation very much because it's probably still what the doctor ordered in terms of fully getting the impacts of the Financial Crisis (increasing interest rates off 0%; winding down asset purchases by the Fed) behind us.  An actual overheating in the real (i.e. not financial) economy might be the only way that could happen without crashing everything again.

And as long as real wages keep up with inflation it's just not a big deal unless it starts getting baked into expectations.  (Not a big deal at the national level, I'm sure there are people winning and losing, just like there would be with every other change in the economy.)  IMO it seems like that's happening, but it's not completely clear yet.

Having said -- it seems clear to me that there's a global bubble in currency led by all the crypto junk and a flood of monetary stimulus in the world's reserve currency.  I think that adds up to a problem in the long run.  What happens when "bad money drives out good"?  It might not be for 10 or 20 years, but I'm trying to work out what to do about that more than I'm worried about a period of moderate inflation.  YMMV

Real wages are going down.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.htm

"Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.4 percent from October to November, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.5-percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.9 percent in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.4 percent over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in average weekly hours.

From November 2020 to November 2021, real average hourly earnings decreased 1.6 percent, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3-percent decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 1.9-percent decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period."  

My guess is December is going to see real wages going down further.  While inflation continues to rise.

You added some zeros there.

It's 367B (billion) thru 2031.

The $3T number is an number generated by Republicans thru imaginary changes to the law.

(but you knew this already I think?)

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2021-12/57673-BBBA-GrahamSmith-Letter.pdf

It's not an imaginary change, it's just funding the BBB without sunsets which has an extremely strong probability to occur unless you think child tax credits will end in 2022 and child care/preschool will end in 2025.  Those two provision are 2.3T or the 3T.

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2021-12/57673-BBBA-GrahamSmith-Letter.pdf

It's not an imaginary change, it's just funding the BBB without sunsets which has an extremely strong probability to occur unless you think child tax credits will end in 2022 and child care/preschool will end in 2025.  Those two provision are 2.3T or the 3T.
I could safely wager my children's lives on the fact they never sunset.  When have we ever taken away entitlements?  It's a fantasy to think otherwise.

Real wages are going down.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.htm

"Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.4 percent from October to November, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.5-percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.9 percent in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.4 percent over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in average weekly hours.

From November 2020 to November 2021, real average hourly earnings decreased 1.6 percent, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3-percent decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 1.9-percent decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period."  
Thanks for this -- I'm not sure what I saw last month (maybe a monthly report?), but it showed wages holding steady vs inflation.

I could safely wager my children's lives on the fact they never sunset.  When have we ever taken away entitlements?  It's a fantasy to think otherwise.

Yeah, the House Dems tried to game the CBO because the CBO is only allowed to examine the Bill as written.  They still couldn't meet the "fully funded" standard they set.  Lindsay Graham told the CBO to re-run the numbers without the sunsets.

This isn't what I saw last month, but it's the same idea... wages are holding steady vs inflation for low-wage workers.  The bottom quartile are ahead and the 2nd quartile are flat-ish.

Lower-wage workers are faring better. Thanks to the effects of the pandemic and the ongoing labor shortage, many companies have coughed up high-enough raises for their lowest-paid workers to mitigate rising inflation, according to Jason Furman, an economist and professor at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. Target, Chipotle, and CVS, for example, raised their minimum starting wages to $15 per hour or more, while about two dozen states, including California and Florida, continued to increase the statutory minimum wages.

Furman calculates that the bottom quarter of workers have seen wage gains outpace inflation. He added that those in the second-lowest wage quartile had also been seeing enough wage gains to offset inflation earlier in the year, but that's no longer the case. 

Yeah, the House Dems tried to game the CBO because the CBO is only allowed to examine the Bill as written.  They still couldn't meet the "fully funded" standard they set.  Lindsay Graham told the CBO to re-run the numbers without the sunsets.
Republicans are almost certainly going to control the House next year.  Are you saying the law doesn't really sunset (I'm not sure myself now that I type that), or that Republicans will vote to extend it?

Also, the CBO also didn't count the impact of increased tax collection enforcement.  You don't have to agree it will be ~37B a year, but it's not zero either.

Republicans are almost certainly going to control the House next year.  Are you saying the law won't really sunset, or that Republicans will vote to extend it?

Also, the CBO also didn't count the impact of increased tax collection enforcement.  You don't have to agree it will be ~37B a year, but it's not zero either.

It's political suicide to allow the child tax credit to sunset.  

Users who are viewing this thread