Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The INFLATION Thread


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, djmich said:

Biden: Our multi trillion dollar spending bills “will reduce inflation, reduce inflation, reduce inflation"

😂

What the heck is that part at the end where he said lumber workers didn't want to cut anymore and he started stammering...it was because their unemployment was "so down"?  Sorry, I don't speak fluent Biden.

 

Now we know why they try to limit Bidens public speaking.  Thankfully the media is gentle with him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, djmich said:

Biden: Our multi trillion dollar spending bills “will reduce inflation, reduce inflation, reduce inflation"

😂

What the heck is that part at the end where he said lumber workers didn't want to cut anymore and he started stammering...it was because their unemployment was "so down"?  Sorry, I don't speak fluent Biden.

 

my favorite part... "you understand what i'm saying"....searching for affirmation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems like if there was ever a time to borrow as much money as you can for as long as you can, now is the time.

I'm normally a zero debt guy, but anyone that was a saver and living within their means for the past few years is feeling like a sucker now. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, Jayrod said:

I just keep going back to 2008, wishing we'd done it differently then.  I don't have the time or energy to connect all of the dots from the bailout then to now, but I firmly believe there was some strong causation from that bailout to our current predicament.

What's crazy is you have a guy like Jamie Dimon who just got a huge stock option bonus and is somehow still on top. Real life game of thrones and he made it past the final episode. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TwinTurbo said:

I'm normally a zero debt guy, but anyone that was a saver and living within their means for the past few years is feeling like a sucker now. 

Yeah, just paid off a 2.8% home loan early.  A sucker?  No - more like this.  My asset/liability ratio hangs around 1000:1 most months.

(Also, I don't think this low rate environment is going anywhere - so load up now, a year from now, two years from now!)

Edited by Sand
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TwinTurbo said:

It seems like if there was ever a time to borrow as much money as you can for as long as you can, now is the time.

I'm normally a zero debt guy, but anyone that was a saver and living within their means for the past few years is feeling like a sucker now. 

Paid off our mortgage early a few years ago, and not regretting being debt-free one bit. There will always be missed investment opportunities, and I don’t see any value kicking oneself for not cashing in on all of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TwinTurbo said:

It seems like if there was ever a time to borrow as much money as you can for as long as you can, now is the time.

I'm normally a zero debt guy, but anyone that was a saver and living within their means for the past few years is feeling like a sucker now. 

I remember someone a little over a decade ago telling me my commercial loan at 7% was tough to beat and I should lock in while I can. :lmao:

 

Whats to say rates don’t go lower? Everyone has said they are shooting up soon for over a decade….if we get a crash look out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, djmich said:

Biden: Our multi trillion dollar spending bills “will reduce inflation, reduce inflation, reduce inflation"

😂

What the heck is that part at the end where he said lumber workers didn't want to cut anymore and he started stammering...it was because their unemployment was "so down"?  Sorry, I don't speak fluent Biden.

This claim is a four star, hair on fire lie to the US citizenry.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, TwinTurbo said:

It seems like if there was ever a time to borrow as much money as you can for as long as you can, now is the time.

I'm normally a zero debt guy, but anyone that was a saver and living within their means for the past few years is feeling like a sucker now. 

For sure.  I know I am not close to keeping up with inflation.  A year from now, I am very concerned.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sand said:

Consumer prices jump 5.4%.  Inflation continues to rage. 

No worries, though - according to Biden spending trillions funded by debt will reduce inflation.  :lmao:

I’m still not seeing hard proof that inflation will run rampant, unabated, permanently.  Still seems like a post-pandemic “compare” to 2020.

That said, pumping trillions of debt into this situation is ridiculous, and is likely to either lead to inflation or simply choke the economy under a weight of debt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

It makes a 840 billion dollar tax break to the richest people in the world all that much more ridiculous doesn't it? 

I wanted the tax break, but also wanted the SS income limit to be removed at the same time.  Didn't like one without the other.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Sand said:

I wanted the tax break, but also wanted the SS income limit to be removed at the same time.  Didn't like one without the other.

Understand my friend.  I got especially hosed and my taxes went up what is a significant amount for me. 

ETA

Let's remember too how Trump wanted to cut interest rates so that they were actually negative.  Good God what a disaster that would have been. 

Edited by 2Squirrels1Nut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sand said:

Consumer prices jump 5.4%.  Inflation continues to rage. 

No worries, though - according to Biden spending trillions funded by debt will reduce inflation.  :lmao:

I remember some advanced inflation discussion on a Reddit investing board a few months ago.  Most of the economics PhDs seemed to agree that the expectation of inflation was an elementary thought.  They were using terms like M1 and M2 and I can't do their argument justice because it was beyond my understanding and comprehension.  I've been stuck on the elementary thought that we will experience inflation.  The idea that money in the hands of the wealthy few impacts luxury items whereas money being handed to everyone drives everyday prices up makes sense to me. 

Edited by Caveman33
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Caveman33 said:

I remember some advanced inflation discussion on a Reddit investing board a few months ago.  Most of the economics PhDs seemed to agree that the expectation of inflation was an elementary thought.  They were using terms like M1 and M2 and I can't do their argument justice because it was beyond my understanding and comprehension.  I've been stuck on the elementary thought that we will experience inflation.  The idea that money in the hands of the wealthy few impacts luxury items whereas money being handed to everyone drives everyday prices up makes sense to me. 

Been covered in this thread. The world is still coming to an end for those choosing to ignore that argument though. We still seem to be on track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Supply and demand.   We are dealing with shortages on many fronts, mainly due to Covid. 

If/when supply catches up to demand inflation will slow down.

That's part of it.  Dollar devaluation is another part.  I believe that prices for good and services will reset themselves a good bit higher and the working poor will come out behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Caveman33 said:

I remember some advanced inflation discussion on a Reddit investing board a few months ago.  

What board?  I've found very little serious discussion on any reddit board (/thetagang being the exception).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sand said:

That's part of it.  Dollar devaluation is another part.  I believe that prices for good and services will reset themselves a good bit higher and the working poor will come out behind.

That may be.  Hopefully wages will increase as well.    In some areas they already have because there is also a shortage of workers, both skilled and unskilled.

Edited by Godsbrother
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Understand my friend.  I got especially hosed and my taxes went up what is a significant amount for me. 

ETA

Let's remember too how Trump wanted to cut interest rates so that they were actually negative.  Good God what a disaster that would have been. 

Oh and let's not forget the tariffs.  That drove prices up too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

That may be.  Hopefully wages will increase as well.    In some areas they already have because there is also a shortage of workers, both skilled and unskilled.

Long overdue.    In a free market they should have been rising steadily for decades.  They haven't because individuals needed a job more than a business really needed a worker.  So businesses were willing to pay X for any particular position which was/is the "going rate" in any particular market and able to wait workers out.  When really what should have been happening is competition for those workers in the form of higher wages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Long overdue.    In a free market they should have been rising steadily for decades.  They haven't because individuals needed a job more than a business really needed a worker.  So businesses were willing to pay X for any particular position which was/is the "going rate" in any particular market and able to wait workers out.  When really what should have been happening is competition for those workers in the form of higher wages. 

This isn't quite true.  The market for college and up has shown pretty decent wage gains.  It's the unskilled labor market that has suffered.  Lots of reasons for that, but importing low priced competition by the millions is a big part of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Supply and demand.   We are dealing with shortages on many fronts, mainly due to Covid. 

If/when supply catches up to demand inflation will slow down.

The rub with the US is that we drive the consumption side of the equation for many countries and the few goods we actually provide are to countries that havent bounced back as quickly as we have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sand said:

This isn't quite true.  The market for college and up has shown pretty decent wage gains.  It's the unskilled labor market that has suffered.  Lots of reasons for that, but importing low priced competition by the millions is a big part of it.

I found this interesting with regard to wage growth (there sequence of videos is pretty good).  The results of data all depends on what you decide to use an inputs.

Wage Growth

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good look at the great American Dollar and its purchasing power.  Figure 1.  We've seen a dramatic slope change in 2021 and a pretty steady degradation over the last 15 years.

Edited by Sand
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Sand said:

Good look at the great American Dollar and its purchasing power.  Figure 1.  We've seen a dramatic slope change in 2021 and a pretty steady degradation over the last 15 years.

This will only get worst as the federal government pumps trillions into this economy.  So let’s do the math here 3.5 trillion for various programs,  1.0 trillion for what’s being described as infrastructure then I think 1.9 trillion in march. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, stlrams said:

This will only get worst as the federal government pumps trillions into this economy.  So let’s do the math here 3.5 trillion for various programs,  1.0 trillion for what’s being described as infrastructure then I think 1.9 trillion in march. 

Compensation is now less than it was in December of 2019

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Understand my friend.  I got especially hosed and my taxes went up what is a significant amount for me. 

ETA

Let's remember too how Trump wanted to cut interest rates so that they were actually negative.  Good God what a disaster that would have been. 

It's not up to him.    Good idea or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sand said:

PPI continues to be high and is rising at an 8.3% annual rate.  

This transitory inflation sure doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

People who said this was going to be transitory were lying to themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 10:28 PM, Max Power said:

His treasury secretary did. 

And almost all the worlds leading economists. Timeframe for all this has always included a 2-3 month window after we take the 20+ billion from the economy this last week. :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, Max Power said:

His treasury secretary did. 

As did Powell.  Frankly, I think they're both trying to influence the markets by saying these things.  And, ultimately, they're knowingly being untruthful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...