Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

I'm thinking about moving to CT. Should I? Where?


Recommended Posts

I don't have much family left. Only one brother and my mom and my brother's son.  The son lives in New Hartford and he and his wife both telecommute to Boston. They had a baby about  a year and a half ago and I have not yet met him.

My wife's sister lives in Manhattan off Central Park on the East side. She and her husband have a 2BR apt.

Seems to me living somewhere between the two might be good. I think I'd rather be closer to my nephew. Maybesoemwhere between Milford and East Harford, but I am pretty flexible. It seems that the more rural areas have some well-priced homes and my Austin house is up 50% since I bought it a year ago. Seems like it might be a good time to make a move. I love, love Austin, but Texas politics are really depressing me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Oh, cos, as a former long-time resident of CT, I would really caution you. Depends on how much you want to be with family. It's cold. It's a suburb state. What I mean by that is the cities might as well be suburbs, or are inhabitable and dilapidated. New Haven, only in certain areas, is the best of the lot. It is a good, equidistant drive from both The City and Hartford, though New Hartford is a bit of a different trek than Hartford, believe it or not.

MIlford is fairly downstate. Off of 95. East Hartford is in Northern CT off of where it is I-91. East Hartford is a blue-collar town. Milford is the same. Milford Jai-Alai is what I remember from New Milford. That and the OTB. New Hartford is in the Canton/Torrington area, right near the Farmington Valley, which is where I grew up and became an adult. It's desolate, cold, lonely, and there's very little to do of note.

I don't think any town will compare even remotely to Austin, and I think you'll find yourself likely pining for it after you leave. CT is not a fun place. Depends, though, how badly you want to be with family. Can't replace that!

Any questions you have, fire away. I did not get out and about much in my adult years after law school, so that's about a decade in the past, but I can give you a lay of the land as I once remembered it.

Edited by rockaction
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big fan of the old Milford Jai Alai. Once that left, seems everything else really started to suck.

 

Maybe, maybe, if you found some quiet little antique-store-and-winery hamlet, it could be a nice place. But if that's not your vibe... don't hold out much hope for CT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard a lot of good things about Port Chester, NY, right on the border with CT on the sound. easy commute N or S, walkable, more varied culture than other CT towns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, firstseason1987 said:

Big fan of the old Milford Jai Alai. Once that left, seems everything else really started to suck.

 

Maybe, maybe, if you found some quiet little antique-store-and-winery hamlet, it could be a nice place. But if that's not your vibe... don't hold out much hope for CT.

Growing up just a mile away from Milford jai alai during my high school years, I quickly took up the sport at the amateur facility. It’s a nice seaside city having just drove thru today with my 88 year old father..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

I don't have much family left. Only one brother and my mom and my brother's son.  The son lives in New Hartford and he and his wife both telecommute to Boston. They had a baby about  a year and a half ago and I have not yet met him.

My wife's sister lives in Manhattan off Central Park on the East side. She and her husband have a 2BR apt.

Seems to me living somewhere between the two might be good. I think I'd rather be closer to my nephew. Maybesoemwhere between Milford and East Harford, but I am pretty flexible. It seems that the more rural areas have some well-priced homes and my Austin house is up 50% since I bought it a year ago. Seems like it might be a good time to make a move. I love, love Austin, but Texas politics are really depressing me. 

The further you get away from water usually translates into price reduction.  I grew up in Milford but live exactly between new haven and east hartford. The mid-point is really wallingford.  But if you don’t have kids or care neighbors etc then there are other options.  You can pm if you want my opinion.. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

I don't have much family left. Only one brother and my mom and my brother's son.  The son lives in New Hartford and he and his wife both telecommute to Boston. They had a baby about  a year and a half ago and I have not yet met him.

My wife's sister lives in Manhattan off Central Park on the East side. She and her husband have a 2BR apt.

Seems to me living somewhere between the two might be good. I think I'd rather be closer to my nephew. Maybesoemwhere between Milford and East Harford, but I am pretty flexible. It seems that the more rural areas have some well-priced homes and my Austin house is up 50% since I bought it a year ago. Seems like it might be a good time to make a move. I love, love Austin, but Texas politics are really depressing me. 

Wait until you've been there two years if you can to avoid paying taxes on that gain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going from a city to living in rural CT might be rough.

Even though you will do well on your place in Austin, hard to imagine you coming out ahead on any real estate if you are planning to buy anything similar in CT.  

If it were me and I was committed to the move, I'd downsize and perhaps rent a smaller place somewhere on the coast.  Give yourself some time to see if that's where you really want to live.

CT has always been pretty bland to me but being near family is understandable.  At least with the coast, you have some natural beauty to take in, go for walks, etc.    Rural CT seems like it would be depressing to me but just IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here are some I'd consider but I say that loosely as there is pretty much 0 chance I'd move there. Stamford and Greenwich are super expensive but puts you pretty close to NYC.  Bottom line the coast is the most desirable but also expensive.

Fairfield

Norwalk

Milford

Stamford

Greenwich

Old Lyme
Old Saybrook

Also Westerly RI

Edited by Dwayne Hoover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Otis said:

Westin is super nice. 
 

But consider the Catskills. It’s beautiful.  And there’s some stuff around. 

Lot of good advice here...somewhere like Millerton NY is super nice and hip, but lot of that area in that CT, NY, MA corner are really nice and hip.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

I suggest The Southwick Jog.

Any place called a "jog" can't be all bad.

I grew up immediately south of Soutwick.

Which sounds like a music festival. Or a horror film. South of Southwick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I'm pretty sure no one has ever moved from TX to NY before. There might even be a law against it. I predict this does not go well. 

I've moved from Huntsville to Stockbridge, Austin to Soho, and Dallas to New Jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Lots of great comments here. I appreciate it. I'll respond some more tomorrow.

I was talking to the wife this evening after posting and told her that we chose this location in Austin because there were 40 resaturants, five movie theaters, 30 bars and five libraries within a $10 Uber. So I'm afraid I'd have to give that up and unsure I'd actually be willing to do it.

 

eta - unless I move in with El FLoppo. I love me some Bowery, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown

Edited by cosjobs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I agree with most others. There are some beautiful towns in CT, but you’re not going to get anywhere close to the vibe you’re getting in Austin. And you’ll indeed likely pay up the closer you get to NYC and/or the Long Island Sound. Closer to Massachusetts may be more affordable, but again that’s nothing but suburbia. If you do want closer to NYC, Litchfield County in NW Connecticut could be another option.

Edited by zamboni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Lots of great comments here. I appreciate it. I'll respond some more tomorrow.

I was talking to the wife this evening after posting and told her that we chose this location in Austin because there were 40 resaturants, five movie theaters, 30 bars and five libraries within a $10 Uber. So I'm afraid I'd have to give that up and unsure I'd actually be willing to do it.

 

eta - unless I move in with El FLoppo. I love me some Bowery, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown

Both of those (Austin, living with El Floppo) sound close to the opposite of most experiences I’ve had in Connecticut.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Lots of great comments here. I appreciate it. I'll respond some more tomorrow.

I was talking to the wife this evening after posting and told her that we chose this location in Austin because there were 40 resaturants, five movie theaters, 30 bars and five libraries within a $10 Uber. So I'm afraid I'd have to give that up and unsure I'd actually be willing to do it.

 

eta - unless I move in with El FLoppo. I love me some Bowery, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown

Based on that, I would suggest either Stamford which is more expensive and less poverty or new haven which has reasonable options but has big city problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your life and understandably family matters but no way I'd move from Austin to CT (or anywhere in the Northeast).

Sure you might see them more often than now but really couldn't you just make it happen from Austin more often if you wanted in future? (obv understandable with Covid).

I've seen it many times....move to be closer to family.....then really don't see them that often as each have built their own lives and independence when closer and wind up living somewhere they dont want. I'd go rent an Airbnb or something for a period of time (weeks/month) and see how often you really spend with family / how much you actually like/dislike CT 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I'd go rent an Airbnb or something for a period of time (weeks/month) and see how often you really spend with family / how much you actually like/dislike CT 

And do it in February and March.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've lived in CT the past 10 years, it's taken a while to get used to but it's home now.  It's not as bad as some folks in the thread make it out to be, but it's nothing special either.

A few thoughts: 

-If you're in Austin and still want somewhat of a city vibe New Haven is your best option.  Good restaurants, some really nice neighborhoods, and you have Yale which brings some decent cultural stuff.  Downside is aside from Hartford they have the highest property taxes in the state and other parts of the city is a high crime dump.  New Haven is also the last stop on the MetroNorth so you can get a train that will take you to Grand Central in Manhattan.

-Speaking of taxes you're coming from a no-income tax state to one of the highest

-Home prices are up big time here too (though I've only looked at certain towns based on public schools, maybe it's different in other areas).  As someone mentioned if you're on the shoreline, prices go up...and go higher and higher the closer you get to NYC.

-Lots of towns don't have neighborhoods.  It's just houses off main roads and lots of woods.  Many people like that, but with young kids I prefer the neighborhood vibe where my kids can ride their bike to a friend's house.

-Towns somewhat between Milford and New Hartford that I would consider: New Haven (though not if you're sending your kid to public school), Cheshire, Southington, Wallingford, Newtown

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

You should move to Cos Cob. Then you can be Cosjobs from Cos Cob.

I actually redfinned it yesterday for that reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if you're planning to drive a bunch, CT has the highest gas prices in the region. When I drive from NJ to visit family in MA, I plan it so we never have to buy gas in CT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the comments here. Nothing wrong with being closer to family, but maybe cast a wider net that just within state lines. Providence RI is pretty cool, or Amherst/Northampton in Massachusetts. You can be close to family but also live in a place that has a bit more to offer than much of the Nutmeg State seems to have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The_Man said:

I agree with most of the comments here. Nothing wrong with being closer to family, but maybe cast a wider net that just within state lines. Providence RI is pretty cool, or Amherst/Northampton in Massachusetts. You can be close to family but also live in a place that has a bit more to offer than much of the Nutmeg State seems to have

I know nothing about Connecticut but it seems to me if you love Austin and are moving to get close to family then Cos should do that or just stay put and use his money to travel there a few times a year.  But then again, I’m adverse to moving anyway and he’s moved a lot so maybe it’s something he wants to do either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, SouthJersey said:

I've lived in CT the past 10 years, it's taken a while to get used to but it's home now.  It's not as bad as some folks in the thread make it out to be, but it's nothing special either.

A few thoughts: 

-If you're in Austin and still want somewhat of a city vibe New Haven is your best option.  Good restaurants, some really nice neighborhoods, and you have Yale which brings some decent cultural stuff.  Downside is aside from Hartford they have the highest property taxes in the state and other parts of the city is a high crime dump.  New Haven is also the last stop on the MetroNorth so you can get a train that will take you to Grand Central in Manhattan.

-Speaking of taxes you're coming from a no-income tax state to one of the highest

-Home prices are up big time here too (though I've only looked at certain towns based on public schools, maybe it's different in other areas).  As someone mentioned if you're on the shoreline, prices go up...and go higher and higher the closer you get to NYC.

-Lots of towns don't have neighborhoods.  It's just houses off main roads and lots of woods.  Many people like that, but with young kids I prefer the neighborhood vibe where my kids can ride their bike to a friend's house.

-Towns somewhat between Milford and New Hartford that I would consider: New Haven (though not if you're sending your kid to public school), Cheshire, Southington, Wallingford, Newtown

Transplant in CT for 23 years. This is pretty spot on.

From what I understand, much of our housing surge is due to NYC people moving to "the suburbs" and access to Metro North is a huge benefit. So, outside of the Stamford to New Haven Metro North commute, housing prices may not be escalating quite as much. However, I'm not an expert on this. Everything post Covid costs more.

We have a rental house in Milford. Rented to a 50s couple from Colorado a few years ago, they moved for similar reasons as you. They rented our house while they figured out where they wanted to live and moved back to Co after 18 months. I'd suggest that you consider renting, but the rental market is at it's peak as well. Same reasons as above (NYC transplants).

Feel free to PM.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...