What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delta guys Alaska RT for 10,000 miles ($100) (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
Anchorage

Fairbanks

Juneau

Ketchikan

Sitka

Each was 10-13000 sky miles for RT. Add 5-10K miles to get into the main cabin

I have always wanted to see the northern lights.

I booked a flight to Fairbanks July 19 -24

I know absolutely NOTHING about AK. I chose Fairbanks because it was the furthest north and I figured best odds for the light show.

If anyone knows anything about AK, let me know. I just know there are some crazy misfits there and I don't want to get murdered. But I do want to eat mushrooms and see the lights.

I’m no expert but I think you need it to be darker to see the lights. The sun doesn’t really set in July. 
Maybe there's something else worth doing there for a few days. Maybe I should choose a different destination.

Ketchikan is a cool sounding name.

A roundtrip Uber to the Austin airport will cost more than the roundtrip flight to ALaska.

Maybe there's something else worth doing there for a few days. Maybe I should choose a different destination.

Ketchikan is a cool sounding name.

A roundtrip Uber to the Austin airport will cost more than the roundtrip flight to ALaska.
Go to Denali since you’ll be so close in Fairbanks. 

I did the Alaskan cruise that brought us to Juneau, Ketchican and Sagway

One of the best trips ever. 

I also have seen the Northern Lights but went to Iceland for that in January. Also one of the best trips ever

i went to fairbanks in december to try to see the lights.  nada.  went dog sledding which was fun.  best viewing is march

Sounds fun, with or without Northern Lights.  March might be the best time to catch them in Fairbanks, but it could be almost anytime or any location up there.  We saw  them the night of August 31/September 1, 2019 fairly far south, between Ketchikan and Juneau.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was curious and just found this.  In summer you have a better chance to see them further south, while in winter it's the opposite.

Nigel said:
Man goes to Alaska to see Northern Lights, returns home disappointed...and sunburned.
:lmao:

Oh boy.....um yeah, the Northern Lights are best viewed in Fairbanks in March/April.  I was there once in March and the hotel offered wake-up service to see them.  They called me at 3am, I went outside in my London Fog jacket that I got in Texas a few years earlier and I got about as far as the parking lot before my penis froze off.  Coldest place I've ever been to in my life and I was ill prepared.  

Another trip in the summer brought me to Anchorage, which is home to the Great Alaskan Bush Co.  As a spry 24 year old, I figured I'd check it out and sauntered over around 9pm with the sun still high and blazing bright.  The Bush Co. imports women in from around the world to dance and help the fishermen blow their cash; a feet they are excellent at doing.  Didn't take long to realize that I was the misfit in this joint as I smelled more like Old Spice than Most Dangerous Catch and I wasn't throwing around fistfulls of dollars Yoesemite Sam style.  But that didn't deter me from making a night of it and after spending my last buck, I departed the Bush Co. at 2am, ready to catch some shut-eye before an early work day.  What I wasn't counting on, however, was the blistering sun still hovering above, giving a soul burn that I carry with me today.  Broke and dejected, I just wanted to limp home in the darkness of night....but Alaska was having none of that.

Fairbanks is TINY......tiny tiny tiny tiny.  With internet and more worldly experience, I'm sure I'd find more fun things to do, but it's like somebody picked up Texarkana and put it in a remote area of Alaska with nothing around it. 

:lmao:

Oh boy.....um yeah, the Northern Lights are best viewed in Fairbanks in March/April.  I was there once in March and the hotel offered wake-up service to see them.  They called me at 3am, I went outside in my London Fog jacket that I got in Texas a few years earlier and I got about as far as the parking lot before my penis froze off.  Coldest place I've ever been to in my life and I was ill prepared.  
 Could have prevented that herd you have if you timed this better.

AcerFC said:
I did the Alaskan cruise that brought us to Juneau, Ketchican and Sagway

One of the best trips ever. 

I also have seen the Northern Lights but went to Iceland for that in January. Also one of the best trips ever
Which did you like better: Juneau or Ketchmeifucan? WHy?

krista4 said:
Was curious and just found this.  In summer you have a better chance to see them further south, while in winter it's the opposite.
thanks. in that case I think I'd definitely prefer Ketcmeifucan

thanks. in that case I think I'd definitely prefer Ketcmeifucan
I know you didn't ask me, but I'd still go for Juneau if I were you.  A lot more to do there, such as see the Mendenhall Glacier.  Ketchikan is verrrrrrrrry small.  Nice enough for an afternoon but not more than that.

I'm changing my dates to late August or early Sept. And I think I am now leaning toward Ketch, unless I read some great stuff about Juneau soon.
Juneau - fantastic whale watching, Mendenhall glacier, Mt. Roberts tram to an amazing view, Tracy's Crab Shack (trust me on that), and a little hole in the wall where I had the best halibut I've ever tasted.

Ketchikan - have a meal...walk down the street where the prostitutes used to be?...have a drink at the Sourdough Bar...that's about it. 

I've gone to both twice.  Juneau by a mile.

ETA:  Add Tongass National Forest, Tracy Arm Fjords, etc. to the "things to do near Juneau" list.

Another vote for Juneau. It’s a great place to walk around and you can go see the glacier before it melts next year. Ketchikan is just a tourist town with a lumberjack show. 

cosjobs said:
I ain't going to Alaska in March. 
Iceland is a good choice. We went for New Year's eve a few years ago. We got a great light show. It stays warmer than you would expect there. You want a  decent length trip to maximize your chances of getting a good show. Getting a night with the right conditions doesn't happen all the time.

...  If anyone knows anything about AK, let me know. I just know there are some crazy misfits there and I don't want to get murdered. But I do want to eat mushrooms and see the lights.
Lived in a tent for three summers working in a fish processing plant in Valdez.

I'm changing my dates to late August or early Sept. And I think I am now leaning toward Ketch, unless I read some great stuff about Juneau soon.
👍  You now have a shot to see the Aurora Borealis.

I can also recommend Sitka but any place on the Alaska Marine Highway (basically the ferry system that operates close to the SE shore) will have lots and lots of cloud cover which severely limits your chance of seeing the Aurora.  Fairbanks is in the interior so if your primary goal is to see the Aurora then that 'would' be the spot but as noted above, Fairbanks isn't the most exciting place in the world. 

If you do go to Fairbanks then take a road trip to Denali.  I would target Denali over anything if you were planning a trip to Alaska and had no clue and had never gone.

I will say that seeing the Aurora is a spiritual experience and needs no artificial stimulants of any kind.  Beyond anything you could imagine.  

I'm leaving the 25th to Juneau, 28th to SD (for Del Mar) , train to LA on 29 or 30, LAX to AUS the 31st

ketch me if u kan
I’ll check it out and text or call you this weekend. I’m in the middle of moving my parents into their new house.  I got your texts today. Just busy AF. 

I’ll check it out and text or call you this weekend. I’m in the middle of moving my parents into their new house.  I got your texts today. Just busy AF. 
Sounds good. I think I will probably book tomorrow morning. I fear my options will diminish daily at these prices.

Hey @cosjobs, did you book this?  It turns out I used a cruise credit from April 2020 to book an Alaskan cruise in August.  Will be in Juneau from 1-10 pm on August 30, along with ex-Mr. krista, kristamom, and kristamomhusband.  Wanna cornhole?

Hey @cosjobs, did you book this?  It turns out I used a cruise credit from April 2020 to book an Alaskan cruise in August.  Will be in Juneau from 1-10 pm on August 30, along with ex-Mr. krista, kristamom, and kristamomhusband.  Wanna cornhole?
I'd love to, but I think I will be at Del Mar then. 

Users who are viewing this thread