What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL schedule release 2021 (1 Viewer)

The Panthers will open the 2021 season with a home game against the Jets. 

Revenge szn comes early for Sam Darnold, who was traded to Carolina this offseason in yet another franchise reset for the Jets. He'll take on his former team, led by No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson, in a home matchup on Sunday, September 12. It could be a tasty matchup for Darnold: New York featured the league's third worst secondary in 2020, per Pro Football Focus grades. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter 

May 12, 2021, 8:04 AM ET

The Raiders will host the 2021 season's first Monday Night Football game against the Ravens. 

Lamar Jackson gets what should be an excellent matchup to start the season. Jackson is 6-2 in primetime games, throwing 18 touchdowns and just two interceptions while averaging 82.5 yards rushing per game, according to ESPN's Jamison Hensley. The Raiders' toothless pass rush could give Jackson time to operate from the pocket in the season opener; only the Bengals and Jaguars had a lower sack rate than Vegas in 2020. 

RELATED: 

Las Vegas Raiders

The Chiefs will open the 2021 season with a home game against the Browns. 

It will be a rematch of last year's thrilling divisional round matchup in which Chad Henne was forced into action after Patrick Mahomes suffered a concussion. The Browns nearly pulled off the upset, but Henne converted a game-winning fourth down late in the fourth quarter. Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill each caught eight passes and combined for 219 receiving yards and a touchdown. Baker Mayfield will look to continue his efficient play that catapulted Cleveland into its first postseason run in a generation. 

RELATED: 

Cleveland Browns

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

May 12, 2021, 8:33 AM ET

The opening game of the 2021 NFL season will see the Bucs host the Cowboys. 

The season will kick off on Thursday, September 9, with the Super Bowl champs raising their championship banner before taking on Dak Prescott in what should be his first game back from a 2020 season-ending ankle injury. Tom Brady and the Bucs, having brought back their entire championship team, will start its back-to-back title run against a secondary graded by PFF as the league's fifth worst coverage unit in 2020. Perhaps Dallas drafting a slew of defensive players will make the team's secondary a little more stingy. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

May 12, 2021, 8:40 AM ET

The Rams will open the 2021 season with a home game against the Bears. 

The NFL's schedule makers seem not to believe the pronouncements of Bears head coach Matt Nagy, who insists Andy Dalton will start the year as Chicago's starter. The (much) more intriguing scenario would be rookie QB Justin Fields launching his career before a national audience against Matthew Stafford in his first game as LA's starter. Rams head coach Sean McVay would get to show off his new-look offense under the lights, possibly with fans at SoFi Stadium for the first time since the palatial structure opened last September. The Rams ferocious front seven and stingy secondary would be a daunting matchup for Fields. Allen Robinson will likely see coverage from shutdown CB Jalen Ramsey. 

RELATED: 

Matthew Stafford

, Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

May 12, 2021, 8:47 AM ET

The Colts will open the 2021 season with a home game against the Seahawks. 

The Carson Wentz reclamation project starts against Seattle, which last year featured a middling secondary and a poor pass rush. Wentz will play behind a much sturdier offensive line, which Frank Reich and the Colts hope will allow the QB to return to form in 2021. Meanwhile, Russell Wilson starts the 2021 season against an Indianapolis secondary that was 20th in yards per attempt (7) and allowed the 11th highest completion rate (66.2 percent) in 2020. 

RELATED: 

Seattle Seahawks

May 12, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL
A few Week 1 WR vs. CB showdowns:

*Allen Robinson vs. Jalen Ramsey
*Amari Cooper vs. Carlton Davis
*Davante Adams vs. Marshon Lattimore
*A.J. Brown vs. Malcolm Butler
*Julio Jones vs. Darius Slay
*Michael Thomas vs. Jaire Alexander

The NFL's 2021 games in the United Kingdom will be the Jaguars vs. Dolphins and the Falcons vs. Jets. 

The Jets and Falcons will play in Week 5, marking the return of NFL action overseas as 2020 U.K. games were canceled due to COVID-19. The matchup will constitute a home game for Atlanta. The Jaguars and Dolphins, both with large followings in the United Kingdom, will play in London a week later, with Trevor Lawrence making his London debut in what will be a home tilt for the Jags. 

SOURCE: NFL UK on Twitter 

May 12, 2021, 9:33 AM ET

The Lions will open the 2021 season with a home game against the 49ers. 

Behind what should be a top offensive line, Jared Goff will start his Detroit career against a Niners secondary graded by PFF as the league's third best coverage unit in 2020. The season opener could also feature Trey Lance in his first pro start, though the 49ers seem committed to phasing in the inexperienced rookie before making him the starter. We could see Lance used in some offensive packages -- particularly in short yardage situations -- even if Jimmy Garoppolo remains the team's starter. 

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

, Jimmy Garoppolo

, San Francisco 49ers

May 12, 2021, 9:26 AM ET

The Saints will open the 2021 season with a home game against the Packers. 

The team's post-Brees existence will kick off against a Green Bay team that may or may not have Aaron Rodgers under center. Rodgers has reportedly said he will not return to the Packers after the team's relationship with their franchise player further frayed this offseason. Saints head coach will have presumably announced a starting QB -- either Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill -- long before the team's season opener. Hill holds a little more fantasy appeal due to his rushing upside. Michael Thomas will likely see coverage from stud CB Jaire Alexander. Last year against Green Bay, Alvin Kamara shredded the Packers for 13 reception, 139 yards, and two touchdowns, along with 58 rushing yards. 

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

May 12, 2021, 9:14 AM ET

The NFL's Thanksgiving slate will be the Cowboys vs. Raiders, Lions vs. Bears, and Saints vs. Bills. 

Dallas and Detroit get their regular home games while the Saints get a home tilt against Josh Allen and the supercharged Buffalo offense. Justin Fields starting for Chicago would make the Lions-Bears matchup far more appealing; it's hard to imagine Andy Dalton holding on to the starting job into the season's final month. Dak Prescott and the Cowboys get a favorable matchup against what should be a middling Vegas defense. The Saints-Bills game figures to be a high-scoring affair in the Mercedes Benz Superdome.

RELATED: 

Las Vegas Raiders

, Chicago Bears

, Detroit Lions

, New Orleans Saints

, Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

May 12, 2021, 12:13 PM ET

Man who is excited to watch the lions, raiders, bears and probably another mediocre cowboys team on thanksgiving day. Yeesh. 

Week 14 bye weeks, basically means fantasy football schedules need to be rebuilt from scratch. Super annoying those are going to be a thing. In my leagues, the plan was going to be to just end the season at week 16 like normal, but now that is out the window.

Man who is excited to watch the lions, raiders, bears and probably another mediocre cowboys team on thanksgiving day. Yeesh. 
I could be overrating them, but I think Dallas is a legit Super Bowl contender. Barring the entire OL, and Dak getting hurt again, this is easily a top-5 NFC team. I'd take them over any team from the NFC West, and all the NFC North teams if Rodgers is dealt.

I agree.  This tradition needs to die. 
I'll take the other side of this. I think its great that we continue this tradition forever. Its a nice bit of nostalgia that hurts nobody. Plus, having better teams playing isn't going to matter. Everyone will have the game on(at least in the background) just due to tradition. Like even if it were say, KC/Buff playing, I doubt it'd make a difference in the ratings. Better to have the marquee games Sunday/Monday.

I could be overrating them, but I think Dallas is a legit Super Bowl contender. Barring the entire OL, and Dak getting hurt again, this is easily a top-5 NFC team. I'd take them over any team from the NFC West, and all the NFC North teams if Rodgers is dealt.

I'll take the other side of this. I think its great that we continue this tradition forever. Its a nice bit of nostalgia that hurts nobody. Plus, having better teams playing isn't going to matter. Everyone will have the game on(at least in the background) just due to tradition. Like even if it were say, KC/Buff playing, I doubt it'd make a difference in the ratings. Better to have the marquee games Sunday/Monday.
I’d take Tampa, New Orleans, the entire West, Minnesota and GB with Rodgers over Dallas. No way is that defense going to be good enough. 

I’d take Tampa, New Orleans, the entire West, Minnesota and GB with Rodgers over Dallas. No way is that defense going to be good enough. 
I think the West beats each other up so badly, that nobody is really left standing. Whomever makes it to the playoffs, is likely limping in. 

I think New Orleans falls off a cliff. That is a bottom-10 offense in my opinion, and a good, but not great defense. I'd be surprised if the Saints were a playoff team.

I do agree that Dallas is going to be pretty bad on defense, but I think they could have the NFL's best offense, and in a pretty easy division. I think they could be this year's Buffalo, where their record is boosted due to lack of competition. 5-1 in the division is reasonable, and I can't say that for anyone else other than Tampa and maybe GB in the NFC.

Dallas is going to get smoked week 1 vs the Bucs. See, the Bucs have a good offense AND defense. 

People have short memories. Every year its how Dallas has the most talent...blah blah blah. Either Washington or the Giants are winning that division. Unless somehow, the Cowgirls learn how to play defense and actually have a balanced offense. I have my doubts about both. 

I think the West beats each other up so badly, that nobody is really left standing. Whomever makes it to the playoffs, is likely limping in. 

I think New Orleans falls off a cliff. That is a bottom-10 offense in my opinion, and a good, but not great defense. I'd be surprised if the Saints were a playoff team.

I do agree that Dallas is going to be pretty bad on defense, but I think they could have the NFL's best offense, and in a pretty easy division. I think they could be this year's Buffalo, where their record is boosted due to lack of competition. 5-1 in the division is reasonable, and I can't say that for anyone else other than Tampa and maybe GB in the NFC.
They can for sure win that division and make the playoffs as a 9-8 or 10-7 team, I just don’t see them winning more than 1 playoff game if that even, unless that defense has a miraculous improvement. As a Bucs fan I am pleased with the week 1 matchup. 

That's 6 out of 17 games, though, and the way I'm projecting it, 2 of 3 WC Teams, along with the Division Champ are post-season bound. Every one of those NFCW Teams may not be better than the Cowboys on offense, but they're all better on defense, and more balanced overall than any Team in the NFCE.

I try very hard not to be a 'homer', but the WFTskins are really trying to put something together here for 2021. I'll be the first to admit that putting trust in Fitzpatrick is potentially a 50/50 proposition, but in adding Samuel, Humphries and the potential of Dyami Brown, they've exponentially improved at WR2, 3 and 4 from what they put on the field with McLaurin last year. I still think they need to add an aggressive slasher-type RB to replace Peyton Barber's role, but the OL should be sound and the additions at WR will make it easier for Logan Thomas to replicate what he did, out of the blue, last year. The 1st Rd LB they added to the defense was exactly the piece that was missing from the back 7 to augment one of the best DL in the NFL. Again, there's no way out of denying that banking on Fitzpatrick is a major roll of the dice, and the schedule is absolutely brutal. I'm projecting a 7-to-9 win Season, at best, (and in my eyes, vs that schedule, that would be a major accomplishment), but that might be enough to win the NFCE again, and once in, who knows?

...but I'm at a loss for how any Team from the NEast is better than any Team in the NWest.

They can for sure win that division and make the playoffs as a 9-8 or 10-7 team, I just don’t see them winning more than 1 playoff game if that even, unless that defense has a miraculous improvement. As a Bucs fan I am pleased with the week 1 matchup. 
I think they'll have a better record than that, but I agree, I doubt they win more than 1 playoff game. Is there really any matchup you're dreading as a Bucs fan? They feel like they are very clearly the best team in the NFL right now. 

That's 6 out of 17 games, though, and the way I'm projecting it, 2 of 3 WC Teams, along with the Division Champ are post-season bound. Every one of those NFCW Teams may not be better than the Cowboys on offense, but they're all better on defense, and more balanced overall than any Team in the NFCE.

I try very hard not to be a 'homer', but the WFTskins are really trying to put something together here for 2021. I'll be the first to admit that putting trust in Fitzpatrick is potentially a 50/50 proposition, but in adding Samuel, Humphries and the potential of Dyami Brown, they've exponentially improved at WR2, 3 and 4 from what they put on the field with McLaurin last year. I still think they need to add an aggressive slasher-type RB to replace Peyton Barber's role, but the OL should be sound and the additions at WR will make it easier for Logan Thomas to replicate what he did, out of the blue, last year. The 1st Rd LB they added to the defense was exactly the piece that was missing from the back 7 to augment one of the best DL in the NFL. Again, there's no way out of denying that banking on Fitzpatrick is a major roll of the dice, and the schedule is absolutely brutal. I'm projecting a 7-to-9 win Season, at best, (and in my eyes, vs that schedule, that would be a major accomplishment), but that might be enough to win the NFCE again, and once in, who knows?

...but I'm at a loss for how any Team from the NEast is better than any Team in the NWest.
I like Washington as well. I think there is room for both them and Dallas to make the playoffs. I think they are clearly the top-2 teams in the division. I don't see any NFC South team making it beyond Tampa, and I find 3 teams from the West to be unlikely. 

Not to get off on a bit of a rant, but I think the Rams are being crazy overrated. The defense looks like it could take several steps backward. They lost an elite Safety, a solid CB, and most importantly, perhaps the NFL's brightest young defensive mind. They adequately replaced none of them. I think this is going to be a league average defense. If something happens to Donald or Ramsey, it might not be that different than Dallas. I also think people are grossly overvaluing the Goff/Stafford move. This isn't Winston to Brady, not by a long shot. They went from a C to a B, and maybe more like a C+, to a B-. I don't know if its more Stafford being overrated or Goff being underrated(probably both) but this isn't all of a sudden going to be a top-5 offense. They have zero depth anywhere except WR(and maybe DT, though the drop off would still be catastrophic) on this team, and are going to be feeling the heat of SB or bust expectations. I think the Rams are my surprise pick to miss the playoffs this year. 

I also think SF is going through just enough adjustment(especially at QB) that they might be a year away still. Very competitive, but like an 8-8 team, that is a threat to anyone any given week, when they get quality QB play.

I think they'll have a better record than that, but I agree, I doubt they win more than 1 playoff game. Is there really any matchup you're dreading as a Bucs fan? They feel like they are very clearly the best team in the NFL right now. 
On the regular season schedule? Not really, I feel good that they’ll go 14-3 or something. They’ll lose a few games just because. 

In the playoffs, I guess Aaron Rodgers with Green Bay but I don’t think his surrounding cast is great. Aaron Donald can ruin a game himself but I do think the Bucs are clearly the favorite in the NFC. 

If they get to the Super Bowl I would prefer anybody but the Chiefs but the Bucs could hang a lot of points on them. 

Also I don’t disagree what you said on the Rams, but if they get to the playoffs Donald could wreck an offense himself. But they do seem a bit overrated right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on records from last year, here are the teams with 10 most difficult schedules heading into 2020.

Hardest schedules
1. Steelers: 155-115-2 (.574) 
2. Ravens: 152-118-2 (.563)
3. Bears: 149-122-1 (.550)
4. Packers: 147-124-1 (.542)
5. Vikings: 144-127-1 (.531)
T-6. Bengals: 144-128 (.529)
T-6. Lions: 143-127-2 (.529)
8. Raiders: 142-128-2 (.526)
9. Browns: 140-130-2 (.518)
10. Rams: 140-132 (.515)

The Steelers and Packers both have 10 games against playoff teams from last year, which is the most in the NFL.

Week 14 bye weeks, basically means fantasy football schedules need to be rebuilt from scratch. Super annoying those are going to be a thing. In my leagues, the plan was going to be to just end the season at week 16 like normal, but now that is out the window.
Yep, that's the biggest impact for fantasy. We were on the fence to figure out whether to extend the regular season or have 2 off weeks at the end, but that decision was apparently made for us 

Yep, that's the biggest impact for fantasy. We were on the fence to figure out whether to extend the regular season or have 2 off weeks at the end, but that decision was apparently made for us 
Week 14 will be playoffs for most of the high stakes type championship. Hate to see it.

Eagles, Colts, Patriots and Dolphins are this year week 14 bye teams I believe.

Bad news. 4 teams. Good news. Not a ton of high end talent. Taylor obviously and Sanders is next. I'm sure people will emerge on those teams but that's only top 3 round players being drafted from those teams right now.

Week 14 will be playoffs for most of the high stakes type championship. Hate to see it.

Eagles, Colts, Patriots and Dolphins are this year week 14 bye teams I believe.

Bad news. 4 teams. Good news. Not a ton of high end talent. Taylor obviously and Sanders is next. I'm sure people will emerge on those teams but that's only top 3 round players being drafted from those teams right now.
Just as bad are the week 13 byes if you play in the FFPC.  2nd year in a row if you draft CMC you know he won't be available week 13 playoff game for you two years in a row CMC is on bye week 13.  Last year he would missed because of injury but you had to be sick drafting him #1 overall knowing your #1 overall pick was not going to play for you in the playoffs.

Cle, GB, Tenn, Carolina that's a who's who list of guys that won't be around if you make your league playoffs in the FFPC week 13.

Just as bad are the week 13 byes if you play in the FFPC.  2nd year in a row if you draft CMC you know he won't be available week 13 playoff game for you two years in a row CMC is on bye week 13.  Last year he would missed because of injury but you had to be sick drafting him #1 overall knowing your #1 overall pick was not going to play for you in the playoffs.

Cle, GB, Tenn, Carolina that's a who's who list of guys that won't be around if you make your league playoffs in the FFPC week 13.
Yep, my math was freaking horrible and I was thinking week 14 was week of the playoffs.

Week 13 is huge, this is terrible and I hope in future years FFPC considers making the playoffs weeks 13-14 point race similar to dynasty last two weeks. Just to much on the line in one week to have that many byes.

Until last year we only had week 13 byes once and it was a couple crappy teams back in the day (2016 Cle and Tenn when both teams had no fantasy talent for most part).

Last year we got hit for the 2nd time ever for week 13 byes but was just 2 teams. (TB / CAR)

So we have never had to deal in the high stakes world with more than 1 week of byes in the fantasy playoffs and a max of 2 teams.

Now we get 8 teams spread over weeks 13 and 14 for the first time ever week 14 byes.

Obviously NFL don't give crap about fantasy football schedules but they have no byes week 4 or 5 this year they have never waited until week 6 to start byes before so that sucks for us.

Yep, my math was freaking horrible and I was thinking week 14 was week of the playoffs.

Week 13 is huge, this is terrible and I hope in future years FFPC considers making the playoffs weeks 13-14 point race similar to dynasty last two weeks. Just to much on the line in one week to have that many byes.
Good luck with getting them to do that.  They will just call it "strategy" and say "you don't have to draft those players"...sure we don't want CMC weeks 15-17 playing for a half million.

Better win the #1 or #2 seeds if you pick the big names.  I will be cutting down my FFPC teams just can't stand this crap not their fault but we still have to suffer.

"same for everyone though" yet it isn't because if you get #1 pick you are not fading CMC and you really don't want to have to pass on all those week 13 studs.

our main league switched over to a fully "all play" league last year with the covid concerns and not being sure when the season would end.....with the bye weeks running this late into the year.....it is bringing the all play format back into the picture for us on a permanent basis....I get it takes away the thrill of that "one" HTH matchup each week, especially in the "playoffs"....but it really does give you the best teams ranked in order by the end of the year....

Users who are viewing this thread