What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on trading down (1 Viewer)

Sugar Huddle

Footballguy
12 team ppr league with std scoring. 25 man rosters. Looking for opinions on trading down from 1.3 to 1.5. I think there are 5 quality players in this years rookie draft. After that there are good players like Smith and Waddle but I feel value does drop off. I’m thinking of trading down two spots from 1.3 for extra draft capital. I’m in a position to take BPA so don’t need to stay at 1.3 to increase my chances of filling a need. I’m interested in your thoughts on whether to do this and what extra draft picks you would want to make the deal. Appreciate the feedback.

If you really have no difference in your rankings of the top 3 and the top 5 and are fine will any of those 5 then shop the pick and see what return you get.  If you really don't have any preference then anything you get is an improvement.  I would send a note to the guy with pick 5 and see if he is even interested in moving up to pick 3.  There is just as good a chance that he is fine where he is and he values the guys like you do.  

Personally in a 1 QB league I would rather be at 1.03 than 1.05 and ensure I get Harris, Williams, or Chase.  I think it drops off after that.  

I would approach this situation a little differently, I would send a quick note to the owners in the fourth and fifth spots, asking them if they are interested in trading for your pick. Then about the same time or maybe a day later or two later(if you prefer), post on your league's website in the trade bait and let everyone know of your interest in trading down. The reason I suggest this is there may be a contender or near contender in your league or an owner who may have a crush on a certain player, and are willing to pay a king's ransom to get the third pick. Why eliminate that trade possibility? If they don't make an offer that interests you, you are not committed in trading your pick. 

For example, maybe the Watson or Brees owner may want to jump up in the draft and over pay to move up to ensure that they draft a good QB. Not all 12 team league has the same scoring rules, I pay in a 12 team league where the QB scoring is very favorable compared to other positions

Maybe some team have incredible depth at a certain position or two, but strongly desire your third pick. Again possibility to improve your team.

Bottom line is, you don't know what all of your league mates are thinking.  Why reduce or eliminate a chance of a great trade for you?

With pick 1.03 im waiting until draft day to trade it unless im 100% sure who goes 1 and 2. Reason being if a team in front of you takes a random player you could either get a better player with 3 or an even larger offer for somone who really wants a guy that shouldn't be there. Downside is the risk that there is no one on draft day that anyone wants at 3 and your stuck drafting

With pick 1.03 im waiting until draft day to trade it unless im 100% sure who goes 1 and 2. Reason being if a team in front of you takes a random player you could either get a better player with 3 or an even larger offer for somone who really wants a guy that shouldn't be there. Downside is the risk that there is no one on draft day that anyone wants at 3 and your stuck drafting
 Good point here.  Theres a chance someone draftS Pitts at 1.02 and youd be wishing you had the 1.03 pick back

Yeah, all I would add here is a general comment that trading for pick positioning can easily backfire. So many things will happen between now and draft day (well, depending on when your draft is). Our draft is usually near the end of preseason. By then, some rookies are showing strong signs -- positive or negative --, and a few of the guys on your longlist will probably have serious injuries, deflating their value even for dynasty, or serious injuries to their competition, obviously inflating their value. Then you have the draft picks themselves. I will never be able to stop telling people that I drafted AJ Brown with the 3.04 😂 I don't know why everyone passed on him that long. But of course the point is, if I could have the proverbial crystal ball to tell me "Jaylen Waddle will still be available with the 3.04 pick in your coming draft", I would be working on acquiring the 3.04 IMMEDIATELY. But we never know what's going to happen.

All that being said, I still love considering pick positioning and trying to get myself into the spot that I feel is ideal. Even if it doesn't always work well, it is fun to try to do, and can be beneficial.

I would list 1.03 in my trade bait and maybe post something to league chat about being open to trading down. I'd plan on waiting to pull the trigger on the trade when I'm OTC at pick 3, although I'd be willing to make a move sooner if I got a great offer. Then I'd be looking to get at least a 2021 or 2022 2nd back if I'm staying in the top 5, though this depends on how tightly packed you see the 3 players. Maybe I'd be willing to take a little less if I thought the guy I'd get at 1.05 is basically as good as the guy I'd take at 1.03, e.g. give 1.03 & a 3rd for 1.05 & a 2nd.

I appreciate all the great feedback. I posted it to trade bait and received offers from two different owners. The offers came from owners of the 1.4 and 1.5 and they each included late 2nd round picks. Since that’s not what I’d hoped for, I’m going to take the advice that said to wait until I’m on the clock. 

Users who are viewing this thread