What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

18 game schedule, week 14 byes, and the effect on FFB playoffs (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
With the added game this year, there are actually 18 weeks to the regular season schedule. The big monkey wrench occurs in week 14 - where there are four teams on byes. 

IMO - In fairness, every team's players should have to have a bye week.

Shouldn't the regular fantasy season be 14 weeks and then the playoffs happen in weeks 15-17?

What is your league doing to accommodate this new reality? 

With the added game this year, there are actually 18 weeks to the regular season schedule. The big monkey wrench occurs in week 14 - where there are four teams on byes. 

Shouldn't the regular fantasy season be 14 weeks and then the playoffs happen in weeks 15-17?

I was assuming that this would be the case (15-17). Didn’t know about wk14 byes though. Crap. 

Very glad that I clicked on this thread.   I have a 14-team league that traditionally did playoff weeks 14-16 like most leagues.   It made for a perfect 13-week regular season round-robin.   I was seriously thinking that ignoring the extra week and enjoying the benefit of more competitive NFL play for the week 16 championship was an option.

Did not realize week 14 byes were a part of this, so obviously we're adding an extra week to the regular season.

What to do with the extra week?   It kind of sucks losing the perfect round-robin.   One of the proposals that I think I kind of like is that week 1 will become a flex-schedule, get what you deserve week.   The top 7 scoring teams get the win.   Bottom 7 get the loss.   Nobody gets lucky or screwed over with their week 1 matchups to start the season.   On the most anticipated week of the fantasy season, it's essentially your team vs everybody.   The only thing is that I have to make sure that my platform will allow week 1 schedule changes after week 1 is complete without all hell breaking loose.

Our original plan when it was announced the NFL was going to 18 weeks was to continue to have our Regular Season Week 1-13, and playoffs going Week 14 (Quarters), Week 15 (Semis) and a two week final in Week 16-17.

However, with the details of the NFL schedule having those Week 14 byes, we have adjusted to have a 14 Week Regular Season, Week 15 quarters, Week 16 semis and Week 17 Final. Ultimately we decided that it was fair to have players with bye weeks during the playoffs. This way, everyone has to deal with byes during the regular season but will be at full strength during the playoffs.

It took forever, but the worm has finally turned. Those who played a 14 game schedule already with a week 17 championship don't have to change anything. 

Very glad that I clicked on this thread.   I have a 14-team league that traditionally did playoff weeks 14-16 like most leagues.   It made for a perfect 13-week regular season round-robin.   I was seriously thinking that ignoring the extra week and enjoying the benefit of more competitive NFL play for the week 16 championship was an option.

Did not realize week 14 byes were a part of this, so obviously we're adding an extra week to the regular season.

What to do with the extra week?   It kind of sucks losing the perfect round-robin.   One of the proposals that I think I kind of like is that week 1 will become a flex-schedule, get what you deserve week.   The top 7 scoring teams get the win.   Bottom 7 get the loss.   Nobody gets lucky or screwed over with their week 1 matchups to start the season.   On the most anticipated week of the fantasy season, it's essentially your team vs everybody.   The only thing is that I have to make sure that my platform will allow week 1 schedule changes after week 1 is complete without all hell breaking loose.
The FFPC has redraft contests (including the Main Event) that had an 11-week regular season where each team played every other team once. They're doing something similar with the added week:

New for 2021: The FFPC Main Event now has 12 regular season weeks. Each team will still play every team in the league one time during the regular season. Week 6 will now be an all play week. This means that week 6 will not have individual H2H matchups, rather it will be a full league total points battle. The top six scorers will get a Win and the bottom six scorers will get a Loss. Any team(s) which are tied for sixth most points scored in week 6, will each be awarded a Win.
I run a 14-team league on MFL and we may try the same thing, although I'd need to figure out if we can do that automatically or if I'd have to manually add a win/loss to everyone's total. 

Hmm...don't play Week 14? Regular Season: Weeks 1-13, Week 14 Off, Playoffs: Weeks 15-17? What's wrong with that?

ETA: have some kind of League Contest every Team can participate in scheduled for Week 14 as a nice segue from the Regular Season into the Playoffs?

Last edited by a moderator:

That is similar to my suggestion that early season you have 1 all play week and push playoffs back to 15-17 and keep the balanced schedule.

Hmm...don't play Week 14? Regular Season: Weeks 1-13, Week 14 Off, Playoffs: Weeks 15-17? What's wrong with that?

ETA: have some kind of League Contest every Team can participate in scheduled for Week 14 as a nice segue from the Regular Season into the Playoffs?
The week 14 contest might keep losing teams more interested, and reduce the chance for collusion, depending on the prize.

We have used what we call position weeks.  That means 1st vs 2nd; 3rd vs 4th.......etc.  It's like a mini playoff week where you are playing the guy right next to you in the standings and puts things in your hands a bit.  It works out really well.   In one league we do that the last week of the regular season.  In other leagues where we don't have playoffs we do it every four weeks of the season.  

Yes, and I wouldn't be interested in any leagues that didn't make this obvious change. The more difficult part is the H2H component and division/bye/playoff seeding structure.

In a couple ESPN leagues, I will be lobbying to change the division structure to make this perfect like FFPC dynasty. Instead of two divisions of 6 teams, 12 team leagues should all *probably* switch to 3 division of 4 teams. Play each team in your division twice and each team in the other divisions once and you have a perfect H2H 14 game schedule. It doesn't require having a special week, it doesn't require the commish doing anything crazy besides changing the division setup, and it's simple. Top 2 seeds get a bye like usual. 3rd division winner gets the 3 seed and next three best records get 4-6. Other league formats might need to be more creative though.

Is there a counter argument to this? I don't think I spent more than 5/10ths of a second debating what to do as Commish.

Everything shifts one week and we're playing a 14 week FF regular season instead of 13, let's go.

Am I missing something?

Never occurred to ask my league mates and I usually don't do anything without putting out a discussion thread on the league message board first.

Is there a counter argument to this? I don't think I spent more than 5/10ths of a second debating what to do as Commish.

Everything shifts one week and we're playing a 14 week FF regular season instead of 13, let's go.

Am I missing something?

Never occurred to ask my league mates and I usually don't do anything without putting out a discussion thread on the league message board first.
Simple really.  Now play a 14 week schedule and have playoffs weeks 15, 16, and 17.  Still have week 18 where players might sit, which was week 17 last year.

Am I missing something?

That was what I thought too. But I've found it interesting there seems to be folks who think it's a problem. 

There was some talk that people were fearful the league would treat the last TWO weeks of the season like they've treated Week 17 in the past and resting players. I guess some teams may have things locked down with two weeks to go but my expectation would be 2021 Week 18 is like 2020 Week 17 and 2021 Week 17 is like 2020 Week 16. 

Meaning you'll likely want to play the Championship game this year in Week 17 and have playoffs in Week 15 and 16.

Simple really.  Now play a 14 week schedule and have playoffs weeks 15, 16, and 17.  Still have week 18 where players might sit, which was week 17 last year.
I think it is this simple for the most common 12-team league formats.   There was most likely some kind of schedule imbalance for H2H matchups.   For a lot of leagues without divisional formats it just came down to a random schedule draw where you happen to play two of the teams in your league twice.  I guess you hope that it balances out so there isn't one team playing two of the heavyweights twice and another team playing the two guys who forget to set their lineup.  There's really no point sweating it out when nothing is guaranteed at the start of the season when the schedule is generated.   These leagues are just adding a third team that you play twice.   No sweat at all.  If anything the third (2x) team makes it more likely that everyone gets a somewhat evenly balanced schedule, assuming that there are owners in this league who are historically more likely to be found at the top and bottom of the standings

I think it becomes more of a talker in a 14-team league, where you're losing a perfect round-robin.   Or a 10-team, 2-divisional (round robin & round robin x2).   In a 14-team league, you still play everybody once, but now there's ONE team that you play twice.   There's something about this that does raise some question about how that one team should be determined.   Yeah, you could just go random schedule draw and call it a day.   But some commissioners who probably spend too much time thinking about this stuff might see it as an opportunity to add a wrinkle to the league that could make it a bit more fun for everyone.   I think a lot of the options have already been put forward.

1. global high score / competition week - like the take that it gives Toilet teams incentive to keep managing their teams late in the season

2. set rivalry week - another game against the owner you have the biggest blood feud with, what's not to like?

3. take a page out of NFL parody, strength of schedule model.   Best teams from last year play the best.   Worst play the worst.

4.  Last week of season, Playoff Parody Flex Week - same idea as #3, but based on current standings to maximize week 14 seeding and play-in drama.

5. Top/Bottom Flex Week -  Top half gets wins.   Bottom half take the L.   Start the season with the result that you deserve.

6. Another one that's out there.   Add an additional round to your live fantasy draft.   Let owners draft the other owner they want to play twice.  Also available in auction format.   Think about how sweet it would be for the perpetual bottom feeder to get called out by a team that passes on a top kicker or defense just to play the worst team twice, only to have the tables turned on them with a two-game sweep.

The week 14 contest might keep losing teams more interested, and reduce the chance for collusion, depending on the prize.
Skipping week 14 gives an inherent advantage to owners of Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, and Pats players this year.  If you want a level playing field, not playing games on a week with byes is not the way to do it.

Am I missing something?

Lame response. I think almost EVERYONE thought "go to 14 week schedule".

The problem is WHERE does the 14th game come from? If your answer is whatever random game MFL picks.....you're probably talking to the wrong crowd and should be on fleaflicker anyway ;)

We have 12 teams (no conference or divisions) and play everyone once in weeks 1-11. Then after week 11 we take the standings and group teams 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. Then in weeks 12-14 you play the 3 opponents within your "group" and then playoffs weeks 15-17.

This. I don't see any reason to get cute with things.  An extra week of fantasy is a good thing. 

14 Week schedule and playoffs week 15 16 17.  If the only big issue is who you matchup against for one week, that's not the end of the world.  Randomly generate the schedule and whoever you played week 1, you play wee 14. 

Or if you want total consistency and want to get creative, week 14 is a matchup between LAST year's 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6, 7 vs 8, 9 vs 10, 11 vs 12.  Might help league parity a bit?

To add to my earlier idea, maybe make it week 1?  Then no byes are involved and makes it a bit more fun to kick off the year with that.

Week 1:  (based on last year's final standings)

1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6
7 vs 8
9 vs 10
11 vs 12

Week 2-14- Regular randomized 13 week schedule as you did before.

Weeks 15-17- Playoffs.

To add to my earlier idea, maybe make it week 1?  Then no byes are involved and makes it a bit more fun to kick off the year with that.

Week 1:  (based on last year's final standings)

1 vs 2
3 vs 4
5 vs 6
7 vs 8
9 vs 10
11 vs 12

Week 2-14- Regular randomized 13 week schedule as you did before.

Weeks 15-17- Playoffs.
This is fine.   But in a 12-team league, worth noting that you could conceivably play one team 3 times, one team 2 times, and the other 9 teams once.  I actually think most 12 team, non-divisional leagues probably had a 13 week random generation schedule where they would play two teams twice.   My assumption is that they would just do the same, now playing three teams twice.

This is fine.   But in a 12-team league, worth noting that you could conceivably play one team 3 times, one team 2 times, and the other 9 teams once.  I actually think most 12 team, non-divisional leagues probably had a 13 week random generation schedule where they would play two teams twice.   My assumption is that they would just do the same, now playing three teams twice.
Yeah I was more commenting to the ppl in 14 team leagues who play everyone once. 

Youre right, this wouldn't work in those 12 team 3 div leagues where you play your div twice. But I'm sure there's other fun ways around it (div winners play each other, other div winner plays next best on last year, etc. Just brain storming). 

For 1 or 2 division leagues, like you say this is an easy fix by just having 1 extra randomly generated team that you play 1 extra time. 

Our league is leaning towards a week 1 where the top half scores = win, bottom half = loss.

Does anyone with experience in yahoo private league settings know if yahoo permits week 1 schedule edits after the week has concluded?   I'm not sure that I have ever attempted this before for obvious reasons.   It seems like it would be similar to asking yahoo to recognize week 1 results of an offline draft with offline lineup selections where the commish didn't enter rosters into the system prior to the start of week 1.   

So 15-16-17-18....guess we're going to a 14 game schedule instead of 13. Good thread, had not really given this much thought. Thanks AD!

Our league is leaning towards a week 1 where the top half scores = win, bottom half = loss.

Does anyone with experience in yahoo private league settings know if yahoo permits week 1 schedule edits after the week has concluded?   I'm not sure that I have ever attempted this before for obvious reasons.   It seems like it would be similar to asking yahoo to recognize week 1 results of an offline draft with offline lineup selections where the commish didn't enter rosters into the system prior to the start of week 1.   
Took me a couple times reading the first sentence before it clicked what you are doing. That's a big change, in my 20+ year league this would never fly. They want H2H and never seem to waiver from that. Best i can do is get 1 week Best Ball side bets a couple times a year. 

ffpc and footballguys tourney it is a problem, league playoffs are week 13 and 14
Capt Obvious: That's gonna put a premium on those who have bye weeks in the payoffs and those who don't. Don't the playoffs start in like Week 11 of the FFPC anyways? They've always had that Bye week issue and owners tend to put a premium on guys they can get past their Bye weeks before the playoffs begin as I recall. 

Anyone already have a plan for this situation?
You could go non-divisional, randomized.   You play all of the other nine teams.   Five of them you play twice.

If you want to keep your divisions, identify cross-division rivalries that you would play twice (the same as your divisional matchups).   Or you could just assign it where 1st place from last year's Division A plays first place from Division B, kind of like how the NFL does it.  Or any of the other options that have been offered up.

Took me a couple times reading the first sentence before it clicked what you are doing. That's a big change, in my 20+ year league this would never fly. They want H2H and never seem to waiver from that. Best i can do is get 1 week Best Ball side bets a couple times a year. 
Yeah, we've been doing nothing but head-to-head for 15 years.    Like most leagues, we have a few owners that are generally at the top and a few that are much less active and/or have drafts that can be somewhat questionable.   I don't think people like the idea of having a random yahoo schedule generator dictate which will be the one and only team that they will play twice.

The advantage of doing a top 7 / bottom 7 for week 1 is that you get to start the season with the result that you deserve.   You won't have third highest scoring team taking a loss or the third lowest score starting with an undeserved win.   Also, week 1 tends to be a fever pitch for fantasy excitement.   Instead of limiting the action to your 9 starters vs their 9 starters, it's now your 9 starters vs the other 117 starters going that week.   I think that will fuel the week 1 fire that much more.   Just about every in-game update will be relevant to our fantasy outcomes.

As long as it's crystal clear to everyone that this is what we're doing for week 1, I think it will work.   My only question is whether yahoo is going to allow me change the week 1 schedule at the conclusion to give the top 7 their winning matchup.   I think you can on private league settings.

Moved out playoffs to start week 15
Yes, this doesn't need to be complicated like I'm reading in this thread and even in one of my leagues I don't commish.  All people need to do is expand everything by one game.  If you were playing a 13 game schedule, now play a 14 game schedule.  If your playoffs were 14-16, now they are 15-17.  I don't see the issue here.

I will say, for the sake of fantasy I really wish the NFL would have left byes out of week 14.   Don't they realize there are fantasy commissioners trying to maintain the integrity of their fantasy playoffs?!

I would have loved to keep the playoffs in weeks 14-16 in the new 18-week NFL schedule.   It would have given a needed boost to the quality of the week 16 games that decide fantasy championships.   Week 16 really hasn't been much of a threat for fantasy starters sitting.   Maybe playoff teams without much at stake might be more willing to pull the plug earlier in the 2nd half of a blowout.    However, that doesn't mean that there aren't NFL teams with nothing to play for that have checked out by that point in the season.   For instance, I don't think it was a coincidence that a Mike Zimmer defense yielded six rushing TDs to Kamara in a week 16.    That team had quit, and if you were playing Kamara, that game would have been nearly unwinnable.

Now, I think the number of teams that have checked out in week 17 of 18 is going to be marginally worse than what we were seeing in week 16 of 17.   I think the likelihood of teams pulling the plug at halftime of week 17 might be just a little more frequent than what we were seeing in week 16.   I'm also fearful of the NBA's load management garbage making its way to the NFL.   I don't think it will be anything major, but I do think dinged up players will be that much more likely to sit or to be on snap counts (not necessarily a bad thing).   It gives teams even more reason to shy away from anything resembling a workhorse RB.  I think your every week fantasy studs are going to have a slightly tougher time sustaining weekly studlyness.   That's kind of a sad thought, but also offers some strategic opportunities for the sharks.  

Yes, this doesn't need to be complicated like I'm reading in this thread and even in one of my leagues I don't commish.  All people need to do is expand everything by one game.  If you were playing a 13 game schedule, now play a 14 game schedule.  If your playoffs were 14-16, now they are 15-17.  I don't see the issue here.
People's only issue is scheduling.  It only really affects 14 team leagues as they have a perfect schedule of playing everyone 1 time, so they're trying to decide how they decide who plays who on the extra 14th game now. 

In almost every other format though it works out just fine.

It actually works out BETTER now in 3 division 12 team leagues, as you can now perfectly play every non div opponent once (8) and every div opponent twice (6) = 14

this is a 14 team league i take it?

We have 12 teams (no conference or divisions) and play everyone once in weeks 1-11. Then after week 11 we take the standings and group teams 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. Then in weeks 12-14 you play the 3 opponents within your "group" and then playoffs weeks 15-17.
wow interesting.  This is taking league parity almost a little too far imo.  Would be quite advantageous to be sitting in 4th instead of 4th in this case.

wow interesting.  This is taking league parity almost a little too far imo.  Would be quite advantageous to be sitting in 4th instead of 4th in this case.
I should have also stipulated that this is a contract keeper league with the top 6 making the playoffs and the bottom 6 entering into the draft lottery for the next year. 

I should have also stipulated that this is a contract keeper league with the top 6 making the playoffs and the bottom 6 entering into the draft lottery for the next year. 
Ya fair enough.  But usually 4th and 5th would be separated by maybe 1 win.  Wouldn't 5th be way better than 4th heading into those matchups?

Ya fair enough.  But usually 4th and 5th would be separated by maybe 1 win.  Wouldn't 5th be way better than 4th heading into those matchups?
We use victory points as well so 2 points for a win and 0-1-2 VP depending on where your weekly score holds up.

10 teams over 14 weeks? We usually have 2 Divisions, what is fair?

Users who are viewing this thread