What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remember when, around a year ago, a lot of people complained that this forum skewed left? (1 Viewer)

Whatever you wish to label it, this forum is very supportive or at least very sympathetic to BLM and very unsympathetic to right-wing groups (gun rights advocates, anti-abortion,  border security).  There is some degree of support for fiscal conservatism, but that is about this.  This forum still tilts very heavily left on the social justice front.  I am not sure why that is even a controversial suggestion. 
Holy #### that’s funny.  

Seriously, if you think any traditional message board setup where the younger posters remember the 80s isn’t right leaning, then you’re crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I find the passive aggressiveness of posters like @bigmarc27to be ridiculous.  I would guess I had 20-30 posters just hit the laughing at icon.  Nothing silly or outrageous with that post..  it is the most cowardly response there is..  if you can't defend or articulate why you think it is a ridiculous post, then don't.  

Holy #### that’s funny.  

Seriously, if you think any traditional message board setup where the younger posters remember the 80s isn’t right leaning, then you’re crazy.
What does age have anything to do with anything I said.  Are you suggesting older posters can not be liberal/progressive?  

No, are you suggesting that old ### people are not primarily conservative?
It may be remarkable that a board with such demographics would be more heavily left-leaning on certain topics, but the board is what it is.  

Btw...at least you articulated your disagreement, so props for that.  

And I find the passive aggressiveness of posters like @bigmarc27to be ridiculous.  I would guess I had 20-30 posters just hit the laughing at icon.  Nothing silly or outrageous with that post..  it is the most cowardly response there is..  if you can't defend or articulate why you think it is a ridiculous post, then don't.  
And he hits the report button on me! 🙂

It may be remarkable that a board with such demographics would be more heavily left-leaning on certain topics, but the board is what it is.  

Btw...at least you articulated your disagreement, so props for that.  
Your original assertion is laughable, so a laughing emoji succinctly and correctly portrayed the response I needed. 

A lot of people agreed that this forum was too heavy to the left, including the owner of the website. I never bought into it. I argued at the time that it was might have been at most 60-40, and then not left, but anti-Trump- there were plenty of moderates and conservatives that were anti-Trump as well. But the prevalent point of view was that conservatives were surrounded by leftists in here. 

Well, if that was ever true it’s certainly changed now. Read any thread in this forum and if somebody offers a liberal argument, it is immediately countered by at least a half a dozen conservative voices. Which is fine, I don’t care what the proportion is. Just noting the change for future reference. 

Seriously... who cares?

Whatever you wish to label it, this forum is very supportive or at least very sympathetic to BLM and very unsympathetic to right-wing groups (gun rights advocates, anti-abortion,  border security).  There is some degree of support for fiscal conservatism, but that is about this.  This forum still tilts very heavily left on the social justice front.  I am not sure why that is even a controversial suggestion. 
Sounds like a representative cross section of America...

Jon, what reason are you giving any of us to articulate anything with you?  Big Bottom tried, and in the same post that you thanked him for the engagement, you went immediately back to your same roster of topics, railing against all things left. There is absolutely nothing in your posts that invite a real discussion. Laughing emojis are the safe, non-ban-inducing response from the rest of us that have served long suspensions for posts that are nowhere near as inflammatory or baiting as what you churn out daily. But continue calling people cowards and we'll see how it works out.

And yet you failed to articulate what was laughable about it.  
Actually I did, you even acknowledged it with “Btw...at least you articulated your disagreement, so props for that.”  So either you didn’t understand or you’re being willfully ignorant. I’m guessing it’s a little bit of both. 

Jon, what reason are you giving any of us to articulate anything with you?  Big Bottom tried, and in the same post that you thanked him for the engagement, you went immediately back to your same roster of topics, railing against all things left. There is absolutely nothing in your posts that invite a real discussion. Laughing emojis are the safe, non-ban-inducing response from the rest of us that have served long suspensions for posts that are nowhere near as inflammatory or baiting as what you churn out daily. But continue calling people cowards and we'll see how it works out.
I state my beliefs.  And I sincerely believe that left-wing race-baiting politics are the absolute ugliest and most divisive and hateful thing that exists in our society today.  The left is using white supremacy boogeyman as a tool to gain political power.  

I see pure hate speech, I hit report.  He’s still here, so I guess what he says is aok for those in charge. 
The guys in charge are pretty liberal and tend to squash anything remotely considered hate speech.  That alone should give you a pretty big hint that you're wrong.  That and the perfect example of what Blade's talking about in BLM. 

I mean it really is just a child's tantrum if your complaint is Joe allows hate speech and the PSF is Geek Club version 2. Wow man.

Actually I did, you even acknowledged it with “Btw...at least you articulated your disagreement, so props for that.”  So either you didn’t understand or you’re being willfully ignorant. I’m guessing it’s a little bit of both. 
But then you retreated and just called my post laughable after you failed to prove your point. 

I state my beliefs.  And I sincerely believe that left-wing race-baiting politics are the absolute ugliest and most divisive and hateful thing that exists in our society today.  The left is using white supremacy boogeyman as a tool to gain political power.  
How about when Trump calls the 2020 election The Crime of the Century, with no evidence and no crime? You ok with that?

What do you think the root cause of this is Joe?
I really don't know, Alex. It just seems we're obsessed where people want to start threads like this one and make sure we "get back" people we think were wrong or somehow hypocritical in some way. It's like we've dropped the real and thoughtful discussion and reverted back to middle school. Maybe it's been this way. But it seems I'm not the only one that thinks it's changed. And not for the better. 

The bigger problem is I'm not sure how we get out. It would take people forgiving and making amends and not being obsessed about pointing out the wrong someone did to them. And that seems like a tall order. Way easier to slap back and forth and score gotcha points. 

I really don't know, Alex. It just seems we're obsessed where people want to start threads like this one and make sure we "get back" people we think were wrong or somehow hypocritical in some way. It's like we've dropped the real and thoughtful discussion and reverted back to middle school. Maybe it's been this way. But it seems I'm not the only one that thinks it's changed. And not for the better. 

The bigger problem is I'm not sure how we get out. It would take people forgiving and making amends and not being obsessed about pointing out the wrong someone did to them. And that seems like a tall order. Way easier to slap back and forth and score gotcha points. 
That’s not why I started this thread. I was not intending to “get back” or slap anyone around with “gotcha.” 
I started this thread because there are a group of people here who constantly claim they are victims and in the minority, and it suddenly occurred to me that, if that ever had been true, it certainly isn’t anymore. That was a thought I’ve had recently and I wanted to see if anyone agreed with it. But I’m not out to “win” anything. 

That’s not why I started this thread. I was not intending to “get back” or slap anyone around with “gotcha.” 
I started this thread because there are a group of people here who constantly claim they are victims and in the minority, and it suddenly occurred to me that, if that ever had been true, it certainly isn’t anymore. That was a thought I’ve had recently and I wanted to see if anyone agreed with it. But I’m not out to “win” anything. 
Victims?  Wth?

You and your gaslighting are ridiculous.

Victims?  Sounds like you are putting words in people’s mouths. 

You should use real quotes if you want to start a thread and comment about what some people have said. 

Victims?  Sounds like you are putting words in people’s mouths. 

You should use real quotes if you want to start a thread and comment about what some people have said. 
It is a common tactic used in here to belittle people.  

One of the problems is that one of the worst offenders has the luxury (if you can call it that) to spend all day long everyday dominating the forum in sheer number of gotcha threads and posts.  

It sure has. As they say, be careful what you wish for. In order to make this forum more hospitable to Republicans and those who lean right, it has morphed into The Geek Club V2. 
This is a bigger lie than Trump has ever told.  Please link a couple of posts that Joe allows here that even come close to what is allowed over there.  

This is a bigger lie than Trump has ever told.  Please link a couple of posts that Joe allows here that even come close to what is allowed over there.  
Make no mistake. He deliberately worded like it like that for a reason.  

We've already seen a couple posters in here with the same reaction: they would squelch dissenting hought in a second if they could so they're going to lobby for it in any way they can in any shape they can put it in to put pressure on the mods. They will make accusations up out of thin air try and get what they want. They've already done it.

Make no mistake. He deliberately worded like it like that for a reason.  

We've already seen a couple posters in here with the same reaction: they would squelch dissenting hought in a second if they could so they're going to lobby for it in any way they can in any shape they can put it in to put pressure on the mods. They will make accusations up out of thin air try and get what they want. They've already done it.
It's crazy.  It's just a flat out lie and quite insulting to Joe to call this place the Geek Club 2.  

Thanks for the reply Joe.  It definitely seems that we've reached a strange point where a lot of cyber relationships have been strained.   What you wrote resonates with me......but it also doesn't really diagnose what the root cause is/was.   And I find it hard to change things when I don't really understand the root causes.  But maybe that's just me.

In any event, this topic and a few of the comments have convinced me to take a different approach.  Who knows if I'll be able to sustain it, but I'm really going to try to engage differently from here on out.   I probably will slip back into old behavior from time to time, but it's worth trying.

On that note, shout out to @BladeRunner.   While we probably disagree on a number of topics, we had some really good back and forth discussion today.  It was nice to truly try to understand another poster who has a different perspective.  Did we solve any grand world problems today?   No, not really.  But it reminded me that most people on this board are human beings -- yeah, we have strongly held beliefs; yeah, some of those beliefs are all over the place; yeah, sometimes I can't relate to the opposing views other folks hold -- but ultimately, most folks in here just want the best for the world around them.

Anyway.  In a day that wasn't overly positive IRL, the discussions I had with BladeRunner today made my end of day gratitude list.   That might strike people as weird/silly/whatever -- but that's not my concern.   Thanks to BladeRunner for taking the chance to have some good talks today.

I think this is a fair assessment.  The board does lean heavily left on social justice issues.  That is really a reflection of every society in the broader global democratic nation community.  Many of the “contentious” social issues in America have long since been dealt with in more progressive countries.  

I mean, roe v wade is about to be tested (again) and the governor of South Carolina just said he would give death row inmates the choice of the electric chair or firing squad.  Bananas. 

There is no way to get out of it.  It's like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube...not happening.  Shutting down The Politics Forum is the only real solution to making the fighting and acrimony go away, but then you'd probably have a bunch of posters leave, resulting in a lot less traffic, and a bunch of posters finding ways to work political and societal issues into threads in the FFA, resulting in a mess for the mods.  In short, this forum is as ####ed as America is. Sorry to paint a bleak picture, but it is what it is. 

It absolutely used to be different in political threads. I remember fondly the thread where we discussed drafting a new constitution and what provisions would be included. Great discussion on policy and politics - everything from free speech rights to apportionment of representation among the states. Heady stuff. 
I think the internet as a whole was very different back then.

This place is one of the best political forums on the internet and we’re fortunate to have it.  I’ve learned a ton here and I really do value the diversity of opinions and life experiences, particularly the ones I don’t see eye to eye with.  Can we please stop with talk of banning people and viewpoints?  The whole point of a discussion forum is being exposed to alternative viewpoints.

This is going to sound childish but can we get rid of the laughing at emoji?  It’s a trolling tool at this point.

This place is one of the best political forums on the internet and we’re fortunate to have it.  I’ve learned a ton here and I really do value the diversity of opinions and life experiences, particularly the ones I don’t see eye to eye with.  Can we please stop with talk of banning people and viewpoints?  The whole point of a discussion forum is being exposed to alternative viewpoints.
This place is a.... Nevermind

Users who are viewing this thread