What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remember when, around a year ago, a lot of people complained that this forum skewed left? (2 Viewers)

Since you chose to analyze me in your extremely pompous and patronizing post, allow me to respond in kind: 

You’re the first person here I reported in over ten years. I did so because you actually asked me in a post how I would feel if my wife or daughter were raped or murdered by undocumented immigrants. After I reported you, you disappeared for a long time, so I assume you were suspended. Not long enough IMO.

That particular post caught my eye; I was angered and offended by it. But the truth is I don’t read most of your posts. They’re incredibly long-winded, filled with nonsensical arguments laced with big words to make them seem more impressive, and most importantly not written with debate or discussion intended. I scroll past most of them; I suspect that many others do as well. 
This is 100% true.  

I spent many years away from FBG, and then I started posting regularly again about 8 months ago, almost exclusively in the PSF.

That's what changed. I'm the difference. I'm a high level poster with decades of real life experience in multiple areas relevant to core political discussion. Words are powerful and I know how to use them.

If you are immediately and consistently countered by many conservative voices, it's because you go out of your way to troll people and troll Conservatives/Republicans. It's low value posting but it's your free speech. You're a compiler. Your asset base is entirely predicated on volume. If we were on a basketball court, people would call you a chucker. The people most punished by your type of speech are not actually Conservatives/Republicans, it's traditional liberals. I have nothing against traditional liberals, they see different problem solving options to common problems. Many even have a few Conservative leanings. But, to be fair, most Conservatives, if you sit down and listen to them, usually have a few classically liberal leanings. But you don't listen to them. Because you aren't here for discussion.

When I first started posting here in the PSF, well I got mobbed on and I expected that. And I picked them off one by one. With facts, stats, video, quotes, articles, analysis, links, context and data. The only ones left gunning for Conservatives/Republicans at this point are those who have FBG as their primary social outlet and their board identities are deeply linked to their own actual identities and their desire for external validation. I can crush anyone in open debate, I've done it for months here, but I can't crush anyone where their cognitive dissonance requires them to maintain their board persona at all times like a man in the desert looking for water.

The way and manner in which you participate is the litmus test on what it means to be an open tax on free speech. I begrudge you nothing because I understand what you are and also because I accept you don't truly understand what you are. Others pay the tax for you, but you have to carry your burden alone. Here's the truth and feel free to note it for future reference- I would rather endure you than be you.

I wish you well Tim. I wish for you actual peace in your heart. All burdens are a choice. You don't choose it because you like it better than finding your authentic self. You choose it because you don't actually know the difference.

Like I said, words are powerful, and I know how to use them.
This is 100% true.

:potkettle:

you cant make this up 

calling someone else pompous :lol:
I just looked up ironic and the definition used "Tim calling someone pompous" as an example.  I am glad no one ever accused me of using big words.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We've discussed a few things that tend to hurt good conversation here. IMO, the obsession some posters have with other posters is damaging. 
The last time we had a come-to-Jeebus thread about the PSF it was suggested that mods be given the power to force users to ignore other users. (I wish I could remember who came up with the idea to give them credit).

If they implemented this for like a dozen people it would make the forum about 80% better. (Or at least more readable)

Probably the most shocking thing about this thread is that people actually believe that Jesus was a Conservative.
Who said that?

It may be that conservatives embrace more of Christ teachings.

Not that Christ is conservative.

But he is not a ledtists liberal

I like that there are more calls for policies to be discussed, but where were those same calls the last several years?
I've seen calls for higher levels of discourse here from time to time. So far, however, there hasn't been a critical mass of interest -- from both participants and moderators -- in seeing that through.

Not shocking at all, really.  It's what drove me away from the church.  I doubt most conservatives ever read their bibles.
I'm not really a "churchy" kind of guy...but I don't see God "turning the other cheek" very often.
As a matter of fact....he's been known to smite quite a bit and for some pretty minor offenses!

Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for simply looking over her shoulder? jeez.

Agree a lot. Debate ideas, not people's personalities. Heck, just debate, period.
It's pointless.  You either get called a racist or a sexist.  Or anti-Science.  Or whatever nonsense term someone wants to use to attack you when you state your opinions.

Or you get asked for a link (by the same useless posters that rarely provide links).  If you don't provide a link, you get accused of trolling.  If you do provide a link, the liberal mob here decides if the link is good enough for them.  If it's not, then you have the source police patrolling all the threads.  Rinse and repeat

Also, all the troll posts like every gun thread has to have some poster that isn't funny but thinks he is make a comment about seat belts.  Those guys aren't there to debate anything.  They just want to push their agenda on everyone and then if you don't agree you're out to murder everywhere, don't care who gets shot up, etc....  How many times do we have to go through the same cycle to see it's never going to end?  And the posters many would claim are the "good" posters are the worst culprits.

I spent many years away from FBG, and then I started posting regularly again about 8 months ago, almost exclusively in the PSF.

That's what changed. I'm the difference. I'm a high level poster with decades of real life experience in multiple areas relevant to core political discussion. Words are powerful and I know how to use them.

If you are immediately and consistently countered by many conservative voices, it's because you go out of your way to troll people and troll Conservatives/Republicans. It's low value posting but it's your free speech. You're a compiler. Your asset base is entirely predicated on volume. If we were on a basketball court, people would call you a chucker. The people most punished by your type of speech are not actually Conservatives/Republicans, it's traditional liberals. I have nothing against traditional liberals, they see different problem solving options to common problems. Many even have a few Conservative leanings. But, to be fair, most Conservatives, if you sit down and listen to them, usually have a few classically liberal leanings. But you don't listen to them. Because you aren't here for discussion.

When I first started posting here in the PSF, well I got mobbed on and I expected that. And I picked them off one by one. With facts, stats, video, quotes, articles, analysis, links, context and data. The only ones left gunning for Conservatives/Republicans at this point are those who have FBG as their primary social outlet and their board identities are deeply linked to their own actual identities and their desire for external validation. I can crush anyone in open debate, I've done it for months here, but I can't crush anyone where their cognitive dissonance requires them to maintain their board persona at all times like a man in the desert looking for water.

The way and manner in which you participate is the litmus test on what it means to be an open tax on free speech. I begrudge you nothing because I understand what you are and also because I accept you don't truly understand what you are. Others pay the tax for you, but you have to carry your burden alone. Here's the truth and feel free to note it for future reference- I would rather endure you than be you.

I wish you well Tim. I wish for you actual peace in your heart. All burdens are a choice. You don't choose it because you like it better than finding your authentic self. You choose it because you don't actually know the difference.

Like I said, words are powerful, and I know how to use them.
:tebow:

There. I'm genuflecting before your greatness. Is that what you need? Sheesh. There are some pretty snide and arrogant posters around here, but you don't need to turn it into a competition. 

ETA: Apologies for making a post about another poster, I'll get this guy on ignore as soon as I can figure out how to do it on my phone...

Agree a lot. Debate ideas, not people's personalities. Heck, just debate, period.
It's pointless.  You either get called a racist or a sexist.  Or anti-Science.  Or whatever nonsense term someone wants to use to attack you when you state your opinions.

Or you get asked for a link (by the same useless posters that rarely provide links).  If you don't provide a link, you get accused of trolling.  If you do provide a link, the liberal mob here decides if the link is good enough for them.  If it's not, then you have the source police patrolling all the threads.  Rinse and repeat
Your concerns about what can kill debate are legitimate. A much different moderation structure would be required.

What specifically would you like an answer to? Lots of people have said a lot. Please ask me specifically what you'd like addressed and I'll try to answer. Thanks. 
Well, I’ll ask broadly... where do you (or whomever “moderates” this forum) draw the line on what is ok here because it seems inconsistent at best, and pointed at worst.  

Well, I’ll ask broadly... where do you (or whomever “moderates” this forum) draw the line on what is ok here because it seems inconsistent at best, and pointed at worst.  
@Maurile Tremblay has written a lot on this. 

The line is we ask that people keep it safe for work and PG rated. We used to say if it wouldn't be allowed on ESPN TV, we ask they not do it here. Basically we ask people to be excellent to each other. That's a blurry line but most people know where that is. 

We obviously don't want anything racist or sexist or bullying or hateful or violent. But even the lesser things like condescending and snark are things we'd rather not have. 

That's the tough part of moderating as it's not always super clear.

And few people ever agree what they did was over the line. It was like the guy who posted recently about how he was unfairly suspended for doing nothing more than daring to disagree with the mainstream view. When in reality he was suspended for telling the other poster "F you". But when we're not here to correct stuff like that, their story gets taken as reality. 

The moderators are human and consistency is a challenge for sure. I'm not sure what you mean by "pointed" but in my opinion they do a good job for a thankless and no win task. You've provided a good example of that. Our folks do their best to create a forum and your opinion is "I’d say your community is act 3 of Lord of the Flies right now and Piggy is running out of time.". Clearly, we aren't making everyone happy. But we'll continue to try and do our best. 

but in my opinion they do a good job for a thankless and no win task.
It's not just your opinion Joe, lots of us feel this way.  And I say this as someone who has recently received, what I considered, a heavy handed* suspension.  It's an impossible job and if you're doing it right you're likely making everyone angry.

*to be clear I'm not throwing shade or crying "unfair", just inserting my opinion.  

It's not just your opinion Joe, lots of us feel this way.  And I say this as someone who has recently received, what I considered, a heavy handed* suspension.  It's an impossible job and if you're doing it right you're likely making everyone angry.

*to be clear I'm not throwing shade or crying "unfair", just inserting my opinion.  
Thank you @dkp993  I fully admit I'm likely over protective of our moderators as I do think they do a good job with a tough thing and I tire of folks ragging on them. 

@Maurile Tremblay has written a lot on this. 

The line is we ask that people keep it safe for work and PG rated. We used to say if it wouldn't be allowed on ESPN TV, we ask they not do it here. Basically we ask people to be excellent to each other. That's a blurry line but most people know where that is. 

We obviously don't want anything racist or sexist or bullying or hateful or violent. But even the lesser things like condescending and snark are things we'd rather not have. 
Not sure ESPN is the best benchmark here.

In response to the OP (I am also coming off of a compelled hiatus), I think he's not all wrong. I think we're forgetting how many people that were prolific and daily posters from the independent/progressive side of things have essentially left the PSF for greener pastures. Henry Ford, SID2006, Ramsay Hunt Experience, Koya, and others, don't much post much here if at all anymore, and that's not to mention the Bucky86s and that sort of ilk that got suspended, banned, or decided they couldn't run roughshod over everyone and also left. The people that don't post here anymore are a Who's Who of left-wingers and zingers, also frustrated with what they felt was immoderate moderating or not enough moderating or whatever have you. They took their ball and went home, so to speak.

But yeah, I know this has devolved into typical moderating gripes and I'm not here to add or detract from that. I'm only here to point out a bunch of prolific left-of-center posters have left, and it seems like conservatives stepped into and among their shadows.

In response to the OP (I am also coming off of a compelled hiatus), I think he's not all wrong. I think we're forgetting how many people that were prolific and daily posters from the independent/progressive side of things have essentially left the PSF for greener pastures. Henry Ford, SID20006, Ramsay Hunt Experience, Koya, and others, don't much post much here if at all anymore, and that's not to mention the Bucky86s and that sort of ilk that got suspended, banned, or decided they couldn't run roughshod over everyone and also left. The people that don't post here anymore are a Who's Who of left-wingers and zingers, also frustrated with what they felt was immoderate moderating or not enough moderating or whatever have you. They took their ball and went home, so to speak.

But yeah, I know this has devolved into typical moderating gripes and I'm not here to add or detract from that. I'm only here to point out a bunch of prolific left-of-center posters have left, and it seems like conservatives stepped into and among their shadows.
I miss them all. SaintsinDome as well ( not a liberal, but anti-Trump.) I can think of many others.) 

Matthew 15:26
 "But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs."

There's no question that Jesus' symbolism here depicted Israelites as God's children and this woman—or her child—as a "little dog;" not even as a person. However, Jesus was not trying to be hurtful. He was comparing the nature of God's relationship with His chosen people Israel to those in the rest of the world who practiced pagan idolatry. He said this to prove the woman's humility and faith, knowing He will shortly reward both (Matthew 15:28).

Of course, I wasn't there so I have to rely on the interpretations of others...much like the Liberals do with the MSM.

Users who are viewing this thread