What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB Call up thread (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Who's on the verge of being called up?

With so many injuries this year and June 1 around the corner, we should start seeing some more call ups soon.

With Trout out 6-8 weeks should the Angles call up either Adell or Marsh?  Are they ready?

I believe Vidal Brujan is long overdue.  He's playing very well in the minors and the Rays have some garbage at 2b and the outfield.  Not only does he have 70 grade speed, he has found some power in his game.  He could really help the Rays and your fantasy team.

Jarren Duran, a 24 year old OF for the Red Sox is probably close to being called up.  He's mashing at AAA.  Keep him on your radar.

Alek Manoah - SP for Blue Jays, a 6'6" behemoth has been mowing down hitters at AAA.   Recently he struck out 12 with no walks and throws high 90s heat. If he continues this he should be up soon.

Alek Manoah - SP for Blue Jays, a 6'6" behemoth has been mowing down hitters at AAA.   Recently he struck out 12 with no walks and throws high 90s heat. If he continues this he should be up soon.
Manoah went 6 innings with 10 K's again tonight. On the season (3 starts), he's given 1 run and has 27 K's in 18 IP. He got up to 94 pitches tonight after being on an 80 pitch count the first two starts.

And his start was moved so he's lined up with Ross Stripling, who got shelled in the first (again) tonight. I bet he's up next start. 

Disclosure, I'm obviously a Jays homer but I also own him in both my dynasty leagues. 

Manoah went 6 innings with 10 K's again tonight. On the season (3 starts), he's given 1 run and has 27 K's in 18 IP. He got up to 94 pitches tonight after being on an 80 pitch count the first two starts.

And his start was moved so he's lined up with Ross Stripling, who got shelled in the first (again) tonight. I bet he's up next start. 

Disclosure, I'm obviously a Jays homer but I also own him in both my dynasty leagues. 
Awesome inside news, thanks.  I hope you're right.  I have him in my dynasty league as well. Any chance Simon Woods-Richardson gets the call instead?  

Due to injuries on my team I need the Rays to call up Brujan.  He's 23 years old and tearing up AAA.  I don't understand why he hasn't already gotten the call.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Vidal Brujan is long overdue.  He's playing very well in the minors and the Rays have some garbage at 2b and the outfield.  Not only does he have 70 grade speed, he has found some power in his game.  He could really help the Rays and your fantasy team.
I was hoping when they pulled the plug on Yoshi that they'd slide B Lowe over to 1B v R's then call up Brujan to play 2B, but c'est la'vie. Thing is they're on a 6 game winning streak sitting at 25-19, so they can afford to be patient. Based on where Brujan is playing most days I think it's fairly obvious the Rays want to trade Kiermaier then call up Brujan to replace him, but they need the vet to stay healthy (ha. ha.) and a buyer to develop on the market (which is probably still weeks out). They also have Brujan playing other positions in the event that doesn't happen though. 

With Trout out 6-8 weeks should the Angles call up either Adell or Marsh?  Are they ready?
Adell isn't. His misadventures in the OF are well documented, but more than that his K problems (41.7% last yr) are continuing (36.8% so far this yr). Marsh's glove could justify a spin though.

Adell isn't. His misadventures in the OF are well documented, but more than that his K problems (41.7% last yr) are continuing (36.8% so far this yr). Marsh's glove could justify a spin though.
I'm reading that neither call up is imminent. 

I was hoping when they pulled the plug on Yoshi that they'd slide B Lowe over to 1B v R's then call up Brujan to play 2B, but c'est la'vie. Thing is they're on a 6 game winning streak sitting at 25-19, so they can afford to be patient. Based on where Brujan is playing most days I think it's fairly obvious the Rays want to trade Kiermaier then call up Brujan to replace him, but they need the vet to stay healthy (ha. ha.) and a buyer to develop on the market (which is probably still weeks out). They also have Brujan playing other positions in the event that doesn't happen though. 
Maybe they will call up Brujan by his 27th birthday :(   He should be in the majors by now. He's 23 for crying out loud.  A lot of players get called up younger than that.   Lowe is garbage and so is Kiemaier.  Did he sleep with the GM's or manager's wife or something?

Maybe they will call up Brujan by his 27th birthday :(   He should be in the majors by now. He's 23 for crying out loud.  A lot of players get called up younger than that.   Lowe is garbage and so is Kiemaier.  Did he sleep with the GM's or manager's wife or something?
He's only got 300 PA's over A Ball, none of them were between 2019 and 2 weeks ago, and before 2 weeks ago he had only OPS'd 727 in those PA's. He was always capable of this and assuming he keeps it up his time in the show will come soon.

He's only got 300 PA's over A Ball, none of them were between 2019 and 2 weeks ago, and before 2 weeks ago he had only OPS'd 727 in those PA's. He was always capable of this and assuming he keeps it up his time in the show will come soon.
Rays INF/OF prospect Vidal Bruján homered and stole a base on Wednesday for Triple-A Durham.

Bruján already has homered six times in the 2021 season in just 14 games, and the steal gives him four. It's been an outstanding beginning to the Triple-A campaign for the 23-year-old, and a two-hit evening sees his slash improve to .339/.431/.679 in 56 at-bats. There's no guarantee as to when Bruján will get the call, but when he does, fantasy managers looking for help in the steals category will want to roster him. You might just get some help in the average and power categories, as well. 

@MAC_32what are your thoughts on Jarren Duran?  He's 24 and has been raking and has now found some power to his game.  Do you see him getting the call soon?

Jarren Duran, OF, Boston Red Sox

2019 minors: .303 BA (519 AB), 5 HR, 46 SB, .775 OPS, 46 BB, 128 K
2021 minors: .259 BA (54 AB), 5 HR, 3 SB, .958 OPS, 9 BB, 16 K

With each additional home run, Jarren Duran's power stroke looks all the more legitimate, and it's not as out-of-nowhere as it might appear. As I mentioned last week, he worked with hitting guru Doug Latta prior to the 2020 season and wound up hitting eight homers at the alternate training site that year. With a side-by-side comparison, the changes to his swing are plain to see:

Still, when you give up slap hitting with the intent do more damage, it stands to reason your contact skills might take a hit. His strikeout rate has been creeping up at Triple-A, and the days of him hitting .357 like in 2018 or even .303 like in 2019 are probably gone. You'll settle for .275, though, if it means him impacting the home run and stolen base categories. At 24, he shouldn't need long, and the Red Sox already have an outfield spot waiting for him.

Kelenic with a bit of a slow start (with the exception of one monster game).  I have no doubt that he's here to stay and will do great over time.  I was just looking for him to be my immediate savior (which is completely on me).  Now just need to wait another month for Franco's call up.   

@MAC_32what are your thoughts on Jarren Duran? 
Haven't paid much attention. I have Brujan on all of my teams, had Adell on some, and Duran's only available in one of mine where I don't have room for him anyway. I know he changed his swing with the objective of louder contact and it could explain his last two weeks (more k's, more bb's, more power), but beware of small samples and there was a lot more skepticism about his power potential than Brujan until the minors started playing games. 

Haven't paid much attention. I have Brujan on all of my teams, had Adell on some, and Duran's only available in one of mine where I don't have room for him anyway. I know he changed his swing with the objective of louder contact and it could explain his last two weeks (more k's, more bb's, more power), but beware of small samples
Obviously good advice.  Another couple of players that have my attention are Simon Woods-Richardson and Nick Gonzales.  Gonzales won't be up this year, but Richardson might.  Another is George Kirby.

I assume you're higher on Kirby over Richardson?
I wouldn't use the word 'higher.' Kirby has 3 years on Richardson after all. I just can't be convinced Kirby will be anything less than a quality #2 and that isn't the case with most top pitchers. They usually come with more volatile profiles than I think he has.

I wouldn't use the word 'higher.' Kirby has 3 years on Richardson after all. I just can't be convinced Kirby will be anything less than a quality #2 and that isn't the case with most top pitchers. They usually come with more volatile profiles than I think he has.
That's why I invest more in hitting prospects than pitchers.  With pitchers I usually try to trade for help if I need it.  Having said that, I do have Jack Leiter, Kumar Rocker, Matt Manning, Emerson Hancock, and Alek Manoah stashed away.  This is a no contract keep forever dynasty league.  What makes it hard is we have 34 man rosters and we start 22 (13 hitters and 9 pitchers), so hard decisions have to be made when the injury bug hits you, like it has me now.  I have Trout, Bellinger, Starling Marte on IL and have had Acuna and Soto on IL, along with Gary Sanchez and Rizzo banged up.  I have the following players on the bench and refuse to drop any of them to pick up some scrub off the waiver wire just to fill an IL spot for now.  Vidal Brujan, Bobby Witt Jr., Austin Martin, Jo Adell, C J Abrams, Jordan Lawlar, Elijah Green, and jarren Duran.  I will probably drop Duran for a MI if Brujan isn't called up by next Monday.

Marlins OF Jesus Sanchez is an interesting post-hype sleeper.  He's been a prospect forever but he's still only 23.

Sanchez' hype had cooled after being dealt by the Rays and a terrible ten game callup to the bigs last year but he seems to have figured something out since then. He's currently batting over .500 in AAA and hit his seventh HR in 13 games today. The Marlins have Corey Dickerson, Adam Duvall and Garrett Cooper manning the corners so blocking isn't a huge issue.

For someone who watches more Twins baseball than me, what are the comps on Larnach?  Is he Adam Dunn?
He kinda lumbers around like him, but despite his currently high swing-and-miss rates that will probably send him back down he has a much better hit tool than Dunn. He just has so little experience against pitching above A ball - not even 200 PA's before the call-up. I think is something we all need to be mindful of for at least the next year plus.

My Larnach comp is Kole Calhoun. Kole's better defensively but Larnach could be 25 points better in AVG.

Another post-hype sleeper is SS Jose Garcia of Cincinnati. He came up briefly as a 22 year old in 2020 but hit below the Mendoza line, which wasn't totally surprising considering he spent 2019 in A ball.

The Reds sent him to AA this year and he's hitting for average and power. I don't know if Cincy will promote him directly from AA but they're they're currently giving Kyle Farmer starts at SS.

Not on the 40 man, which matters most places, but especially in Tampa.
Unbelievable they call up Walls instead of Brujan after trading Adames.  I truly believe Brujan has done something to be out of favor with the Rays management.  No way he deserves this.  He's 23 already, raking at AAA, and even found power.  Are you telling me his speed, average, and new found power can't play right now for them?  Especially over the garbage that is Lowe and Kiermaier.

Unbelievable they call up Walls instead of Brujan after trading Adames.  I truly believe Brujan has done something to be out of favor with the Rays management.  No way he deserves this.  He's 23 already, raking at AAA, and even found power.  Are you telling me his speed, average, and new found power can't play right now for them?  Especially over the garbage that is Lowe and Kiermaier.
Brujan doesn't play short.

Brujan doesn't play short.
I know, but didn't they have any other options for short?  If not, then I'll shut up.  I suppose I'm just pissed because in my mind he is a better option than a couple of players at 2b and OF.

I know, but didn't they have any other options for short?  If not, then I'll shut up.  I suppose I'm just pissed because in my mind he is a better option than a couple of players at 2b and OF.
Wendle, but he's kinda their jack of all trades. He can move around depending on whether there's a righty or lefty. I get the frustration with Kiermaier, but I think Lowe's pretty good.

Wendle, but he's kinda their jack of all trades. He can move around depending on whether there's a righty or lefty. I get the frustration with Kiermaier, but I think Lowe's pretty good.
I don't see how hitting under .200 and striking out at a 30% clip is pretty good.

I don't see how hitting under .200 and striking out at a 30% clip is pretty good.
It isn't, but if we only use 2021 as a guide and disregard everything else then we would come to conclusions like Adolis Garcia is better than Mookie Betts.

It isn't, but if we only use 2021 as a guide and disregard everything else then we would come to conclusions like Adolis Garcia is better than Mookie Betts.
Well, Betts is a star and we can have patience, but Lowe is a nobody who is hitting under .200 and striking out an alarming rate.  Guys like Lowe can be kicked to the curb for guys like Brujan, IMO.

The point is that Brujan should be better than both Lowe and Kiemaier and should replace one of them.  He's a 2b by trade and from what I've read has been playing pretty good CF.

Well, Betts is a star and we can have patience, but Lowe is a nobody who is hitting under .200 and striking out an alarming rate.  Guys like Lowe can be kicked to the curb for guys like Brujan, IMO.

The point is that Brujan should be better than both Lowe and Kiemaier and should replace one of them.  He's a 2b by trade and from what I've read has been playing pretty good CF.
A nobody? Come on. Lowe was like a 5th or 6th round pick this year in fantasy. Between 2019 and 2020, he played 138 games, hit 31 HR, slashed .270/.347/.530, produced 5 WAR, and made an all-star team.

Good lord. 

You can’t discount the real baseball defense Kiermaier brings

Brujan stats this year so far -

AB.....R.......H....HR....RBI......SB.....AVG.....OBP.......OPS

Matt Manning getting the call to start today.  He's been struggling so far at AAA, so this could be a short stay.   Or perhaps he surprises. 

Users who are viewing this thread