What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd year dynasty superflex: how to approach rookie draft (1 Viewer)

rfrench

Footballguy
This is my first dynasty league and my first rookie draft will be starting this Saturday.  It's a 10 team league, superflex, 0.5 ppr, with 30 roster spots (3 of them are taxi squad for 1 or 2 year players).  The starting roster is qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, flex, flex, flex, super flex. 

My approach to the initial draft was to load up on QB and WR and for the most part punted on RB and TE.  While I was very successful at QB but my WRs are pretty weak and the rest of my team is garbage.  So I tanked the first year and ended up with the 1.02 pick.  The question I have is what should I do with it? 

Base of my current roster is:

QB: Mahomes, Watson, Burrow

WR: DJ Moore, Sutton, Diontea Johnson, Jeudy, Shenault, Deebo, Antonio Brown

RB: Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Rashad Penny, Garbage

TE: Njoku, OJ Howard, Garbage

Clearly I don't need another QB but with Watson questions do I take another QB and trade later once watson gets sorted out?  Only offers to trade back are to 1.03 for a future 2nd (not next year either) or all the way to 1.07.  I'm just curious what I should be looking for here?  Most valuable would be QB but not that valuable to my team.  Being so new to this I don't even really know what I should be looking for in compensation for that pick, 1.07 and future 1st? plus future 2nd?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
so there are some amazing free dynasty trade calculators out there as well as trade rankings on football guys which can give you a good idea of what to trade for. Before i can answer how to approach the draft i need to know is this a superflex league and what your starting roster requirements are, Also do you have an idea of who is getting taken 1st overall. Without that information my initial answer is going to be to take the rookie running back harris for the steelers at 2.

so there are some amazing free dynasty trade calculators out there as well as trade rankings on football guys which can give you a good idea of what to trade for. Before i can answer how to approach the draft i need to know is this a superflex league and what your starting roster requirements are, Also do you have an idea of who is getting taken 1st overall. Without that information my initial answer is going to be to take the rookie running back harris for the steelers at 2.
Sorry, put superflex in the title but forgot in the question.

The starting roster is qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, flex, flex, flex, super flex. 

I’m 95% positive Lawrence is going first. 

I was honestly not considering Harris at all that early. My thoughts were to solidify the positions with more longevity (qb, wr) and then draft or trade for rbs once I’m closer to contending. But maybe I am underestimating the need to draft rbs earlier. 

Do you just have one pick per round at this point?  1.02, 2.02, etc?  I ask this because this is a deep WR class so you should be able to get solid value at the 2.02 and maybe even 3.02 in SF.

I agree that trading back is a nice option if you can get some pieces that help.  For the offer to drop to 1.03 is there a startable RB you can get the guy to throw into the deal?  Trading 1.02 for 1.03, 2022 2nd and a RB in the 15-20 range might be a nice haul that will help your team.  

Dropping back to 1.07 might be ok if you can still get Williams in that spot (he would be my RB2 for this draft behind Harris).   I also don't think PItts is out of the question in your situation as well.

You aren't that far off from being a contender because you have solid pieces everywhere......just not enough of them.  If you were to get a second startable RB, a TE and another startable flex you will be competitive.  

You could also try and shop Watson and see what kind of offers come in for him.  That may get you some extra pieces to play with. 

Bottom line I would try and trade back (and going to 1.03 or 1.07 in SF isn't bad) but you need to get possible impact pieces back.  

Do you just have one pick per round at this point?  1.02, 2.02, etc?  I ask this because this is a deep WR class so you should be able to get solid value at the 2.02 and maybe even 3.02 in SF.

I agree that trading back is a nice option if you can get some pieces that help.  For the offer to drop to 1.03 is there a startable RB you can get the guy to throw into the deal?  Trading 1.02 for 1.03, 2022 2nd and a RB in the 15-20 range might be a nice haul that will help your team.  

Dropping back to 1.07 might be ok if you can still get Williams in that spot (he would be my RB2 for this draft behind Harris).   I also don't think PItts is out of the question in your situation as well.

You aren't that far off from being a contender because you have solid pieces everywhere......just not enough of them.  If you were to get a second startable RB, a TE and another startable flex you will be competitive.  

You could also try and shop Watson and see what kind of offers come in for him.  That may get you some extra pieces to play with. 

Bottom line I would try and trade back (and going to 1.03 or 1.07 in SF isn't bad) but you need to get possible impact pieces back.  
I have put out feelers to everyone in the league and there is a lot less interest in moving up to 1.02 than I would expect. Part of this could be because the same guy holds 1.01, 1.03, and 1.05.  Here are the offers on the table currently:

1. 1.03 + 2023 2nd + Gus Edwards or Bryan Edwards

My interpretation: I still get one of Harris, Lance, Chase, Pitts and a 2023 pick that could be anywhere.  I also get a handcuff/flex or a post hype 2nd year wr.  Not a huge step back and pick up some extra pieces. I do have a hard time taking Pitts this early because thinking about future value, it would be hard to see him fetching more draft capital than Lance after a couple years.  I would be happier with this compensation of it was a 2022 2nd.

2. 1.07 + 2022 1st

My interpretation: I am moving back to a range where Pitts, Williams, Fields, Etienne, Waddle.  Most of these players I think are in the 2nd tier.  I also pick up a future 1st rounder which I would expect to be middle of the round and relatively valuable.

3. I trade back to 1.03 and then, assuming the same person at 1.01 and 1.02 doesn't take 2 qbs I trade back to 1.07.

Only moderate risk in this that I can't trade the 1.03 again for the same compensation.  If that happens I still get a top tier player.

4. I trade Burrow for 1.07, 2.07,  and 2022 first. 

Based on the May trade value chart I think this is enough compensation for Burrow but do you agree? I know it's generally preferred to go with known (Burrow) over unknown (Lance).

I have put out feelers to everyone in the league and there is a lot less interest in moving up to 1.02 than I would expect. Part of this could be because the same guy holds 1.01, 1.03, and 1.05.  Here are the offers on the table currently:

1. 1.03 + 2023 2nd + Gus Edwards or Bryan Edwards

My interpretation: I still get one of Harris, Lance, Chase, Pitts and a 2023 pick that could be anywhere.  I also get a handcuff/flex or a post hype 2nd year wr.  Not a huge step back and pick up some extra pieces. I do have a hard time taking Pitts this early because thinking about future value, it would be hard to see him fetching more draft capital than Lance after a couple years.  I would be happier with this compensation of it was a 2022 2nd.

2. 1.07 + 2022 1st

My interpretation: I am moving back to a range where Pitts, Williams, Fields, Etienne, Waddle.  Most of these players I think are in the 2nd tier.  I also pick up a future 1st rounder which I would expect to be middle of the round and relatively valuable.

3. I trade back to 1.03 and then, assuming the same person at 1.01 and 1.02 doesn't take 2 qbs I trade back to 1.07.

Only moderate risk in this that I can't trade the 1.03 again for the same compensation.  If that happens I still get a top tier player.

4. I trade Burrow for 1.07, 2.07,  and 2022 first. 

Based on the May trade value chart I think this is enough compensation for Burrow but do you agree? I know it's generally preferred to go with known (Burrow) over unknown (Lance).
The Burrow trade is interesting as you can likely get another top QB prospect and in reality you never know how he comes back from the bad knee injury.  He should be back but you never know.  This also gets you another good 2nd round pick this year which should yield a good prospect as well.  I think I like that offer the best.  I would only see if he has a guy at RB or WR that is maybe a WR3/4 but better than your "garbage" bench spots.  Every little improvement helps.  

I am with gally do the burrow trade. You still have mahomes and watson. Why watson may not play this year he proble will next and possible in a much better situation than in huston. In a 10 team league this allows you to take harris or chase at 2, or try and trade 2 and 7 for 3 and 4 could be a long shot but he may really want someone at 2. you also get another top 17 with thw 2nd round pick. So you come out with 4 top 17 players. You can always try and trade for a qb2 in superflex as someone will have a 3rd guy they are willing to give up. Why you may be bottem half again this year next year you could be dominant.

Users who are viewing this thread