What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drag Queen Show for Children on PBS (1 Viewer)

A different kind of page turner.

A Bettie Page turner?

Seriously, there are people really trying hard to agitate the traditional rural and working folks of America, aren't there?

Horrors!  😱

Exposure to these drag queens may mean these kiddies will be scarred for life and might grow up to be accepting of all those in the LGBT+ community. 

A different kind of page turner.

A Bettie Page turner?

Seriously, there are people really trying hard to agitate the traditional rural and working folks of America, aren't there?
I certainly hope so. but just the working ones.

Sometimes I find our culture very confusing.  Girls are not to be taught to do traditional female things, particularly those designed to attract males.  But boys who dress as girls are supposed to be taught these very things.  Swish swish swish.  Shimmy shimmy shimmy.

And this being on PBS, I presume that we should encourage girls to watch and learn what boys who dress as girls do to celebrate their pretending to be girls, except that the girls aren’t encouraged to do the things that boys who pretend to be girls do.

I can see how a young impressionable girl would find this completely understandable, but I’m an older man so I’ll just defer to all of the younger smarter folks out there.  

Sometimes I find our culture very confusing.  Girls are not to be taught to do traditional female things, particularly those designed to attract males.  But boys who dress as girls are supposed to be taught these very things.  Swish swish swish.  Shimmy shimmy shimmy.

And this being on PBS, I presume that we should encourage girls to watch and learn what boys who dress as girls do to celebrate their pretending to be girls, except that the girls aren’t encouraged to do the things that boys who pretend to be girls do.

I can see how a young impressionable girl would find this completely understandable, but I’m an older man so I’ll just defer to all of the younger smarter folks out there.  
Pretty sure the message is follow your bliss and don't let the bastards grind you down.

ETA: And ignore idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see the problem. Kids seem to like shows with singing and dancing, which is what this appears to be. The Drag Queen story hour thing looks like something kids enjoy. 

It seems like a pretty run of the mill kids show, just hosted by drag queens. And drag queens do have a performative, engaging energy well suited for a kid's show.

A fair bit of pearl clutching going on in here.   :P

At the end of the day for me, a good kids show is a good kids show.  Now I haven't watched this, so don't know if it would qualify for me, but as a parent I would welcome drag queens doing a good show over annoying crap like Barney and the like any day.  

I try to keep up but not progressive enough so I'd appreciate some clarification from those in the know.  I always thought a drag queen queen was basically an act, kinda meant to be funny.  Do people identify on a permanent basis as "drag queen"...like she/her/hers/drag queen.  So we're trying to teach kids to be tolerant of drag queens?

A fair bit of pearl clutching going on in here.   :P

At the end of the day for me, a good kids show is a good kids show.  Now I haven't watched this, so don't know if it would qualify for me, but as a parent I would welcome drag queens doing a good show over annoying crap like Barney and the like any day.  
I’ll be the Pearl clutched, idc.  

Weird.  Almost as if those who constantly rail against "cancel culture" are practicing it themselves, up in arms about a show they find distasteful because "ick"?

This seems like a "no big deal" to me. Don't want your kids to watch, then turn the channel. Wanna watch and explain drag queens, then watch and have that conversation. That's the great thing about personal choice!

This seems like a "no big deal" to me. Don't want your kids to watch, then turn the channel. Wanna watch and explain drag queens, then watch and have that conversation. That's the great thing about personal choice!
What is the explanation of a drag queen?

Idk?? I'd say a guy dressed like a woman for entertainment purposes. 🤷‍♂️
lol yah, thats my confusion that I was trying to express earlier.  The theme of this thread is that kids should be exposed to drag queens to be more tolerant.  But a drag queen is a guy who dresses as a woman (in an exaggerated fashion) to entertain people.  It actually can be interpreted as a bit mocking of women.  So its ok for the comedic performative element, I'm sure the children are entertained, but who is being tolerated more.

Do we need to lobby more for men dressed in dreadlocks, beards and v neck shirts to be more tolerant of pirates?

lol yah, thats my confusion that I was trying to express earlier.  The theme of this thread is that kids should be exposed to drag queens to be more tolerant.  But a drag queen is a guy who dresses as a woman (in an exaggerated fashion) to entertain people.  It actually can be interpreted as a bit mocking of women.  So its ok for the comedic performative element, I'm sure the children are entertained, but who is being tolerated more.

Do we need to lobby more for men dressed in dreadlocks, beards and v neck shirts to be more tolerant of pirates?
Yeah I really don't know what the proper answer is?? If I let kids watch that I'd just answer any questions they'd have the best I could. Then I'd have them watch Too wong foo thanks for everything 🤣🤷‍♂️

Arrrrr you serious?
Of course not, I don't think pirates are marginalized lol.  The point I was trying to illustrate is that drag queens, to the best of my understanding are performers...entertainers, actors (like people that pretend to be pirates).

What it sounds like is that many in this thread are equating watching drag queens (actors) perform with being more tolerant of people who have different lifestyles (like say gay people who by and large don't really dress and act like drag queens or identify as drag queens).  Is that really helpful?  Is it much different than actors performing in black face for laughs to help educate white kids to be more tolerant of black people?

Of course not, I don't think pirates are marginalized lol.  The point I was trying to illustrate is that drag queens, to the best of my understanding are performers...entertainers, actors (like people that pretend to be pirates).

What it sounds like is that many in this thread are equating watching drag queens (actors) perform with being more tolerant of people who have different lifestyles (like say gay people who by and large don't really dress and act like drag queens or identify as drag queens).  Is that really helpful?  Is it much different than actors performing in black face for laughs to help educate white kids to be more tolerant of black people?
I just wanted to make a pirate joke.

I think the issue is public funding of such shows, not that it's drag queens.

From the OP links, apparently this started in San Francisco, became popular, moved to other cities, became more popular, and finally was put on TV by a NYC station.  They say the motivation was to get kids interested in books. That seems genuine to me. I don’t think the purpose was for tolerance. That just seems like an added benefit.

I think the issue is public funding of such shows, not that it's drag queens.
Shows geared towards kids with drag queens are OK, so long as none of our tax dollars are used. Got it. 

The right has been trying to defund government support of PBS for years, this is just the latest attempt. 

Do we need to lobby more for men dressed in dreadlocks, beards and v neck shirts to be more tolerant of pirates
The irony here is that we almost certainly glamorize and over glorify pirates as though they were not murderous criminals. 

We have more respect for murderers than we do for drag queens. 

maybe we need more shows like this...

Drag shows are overwhelmingly performed by LGBT performers.  Culturally, drag is a celebrated art form very much associated with the LGBT community.  Exposing children to drag performance is exposing them to LGBT culture.

Saw a great drag show in South Beach last time I was there. Forget the name of the place but it's on Ocean Dr. and runs outside everyday around 3.

Also my buddy's roommate when I lived in SF was a drag queen at Asiasf, a restaurant where all the wait staff were in drag. Met Willie Brown there the first time we went.

ETA: That's all I got on drag.

I remember a time around here when there was some term thrown around meant to insult liberals who couldn't handle what was going on and needed their safe space?

Drag shows are overwhelmingly performed by LGBT performers.  Culturally, drag is a celebrated art form very much associated with the LGBT community.  Exposing children to drag performance is exposing them to LGBT culture.
Thanks, that makes sense.  What I have some difficulty reconciling is that drag queens are representative of LGBT culture.  Is that how most in the LGBT community would want children exposed to their community?

Users who are viewing this thread