What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drag Queen Show for Children on PBS (2 Viewers)

I long ago gave up trying to figure out what liberals or conservatives think. To much hypocrisy on both sides.  I stick to my own thoughts and what I think is right for my family. It’s all I can control anyways.  
Does that mean the other part needs to shut up and like it?

I'm 53 and my wife and I just welcomed our first grandchild into the world this week.

American culture, as viewed by the rest of the world, is kinda confusing. We allow violence on our tvs but we're prudish with our sexuality. Our kids are exposed to so much violence but we shield them from the human body. A man dressed as a woman is considered off-limits, but we grew up on cartoons blowing things up and shooting people in the face. I'm not saying I would have let my kids watch the show in question, but that's not for me to decide if others choose to.

A childhood friend of mine spent 15 years in Germany following college. From the things he's told me about his experiences, a drag queen or any member of the LGBT community being an influence on a child would be far more welcomed than an anvil being dropped on a character's head or being blown up by an Acme bomb.
Great post, and basically how I was going to reply.   It's truly bizarre to me how parents will cover kids' eyes b/c of some boobies, but murder and death is A-OK.  

I'm 53 and my wife and I just welcomed our first grandchild into the world this week.

American culture, as viewed by the rest of the world, is kinda confusing. We allow violence on our tvs but we're prudish with our sexuality. Our kids are exposed to so much violence but we shield them from the human body. A man dressed as a woman is considered off-limits, but we grew up on cartoons blowing things up and shooting people in the face. I'm not saying I would have let my kids watch the show in question, but that's not for me to decide if others choose to.

A childhood friend of mine spent 15 years in Germany following college. From the things he's told me about his experiences, a drag queen or any member of the LGBT community being an influence on a child would be far more welcomed than an anvil being dropped on a character's head or being blown up by an Acme bomb.
Thanks, and congrats on the grandchild.

Great post, and basically how I was going to reply.   It's truly bizarre to me how parents will cover kids' eyes b/c of some boobies, but murder and death is A-OK.  
My friend told me it's nothing to see a topless woman In a commercial in primetime. It's violence that's restricted.

My kid was about 5 years old and we walked past 2 drag queens taking a smoke break outside of the restaurant.  The were doing a brunch show and it was 1:00 PM.

Anyway, we said hello as we walked by and later explained that those people were drag queens putting on a show. A few days later my son was talking about the "dry cleaner" and how we saw them last weekend.  Took me a while to figure out what he was taking about.

My kid was about 5 years old and we walked past 2 drag queens taking a smoke break outside of the restaurant.  The were doing a brunch show and it was 1:00 PM.

Anyway, we said hello as we walked by and later explained that those people were drag queens putting on a show. A few days later my son was talking about the "dry cleaner" and how we saw them last weekend.  Took me a while to figure out what he was taking about.
Your son engaged on his level. Without prompting, children that young will not derive sexual influence from simple exposure to drag queens.

I know New Orleans was not the first city to have Drag Queen Story Time at local libraries, but our city was definitely an early adopter. I don't know about the new TV show, but at the local Drag Queen Story Times, the children are engaged at their level. The books selected are from the main line of early-childhood books, not nonce books that explicitly introduce specific aspects of LGBT culture. The selected readings are typically themed around self-acceptance, trying out new things, and so forth.

The net effect, from what I've seen, is just that the little kids in attendance get used to seeing and interacting with a different kind of person. A toddler or even a six-year-old won't see "a gay guy in makeup and heels". To a small child, the story reader might not quite be a lady like Mom, or a man exactly like Dad ... but will be a certain kind of differentiated person that will be accepted as presented. The child brings no baggage or experience to the story time. The drag queen likewise aims to present no baggage or experience of their own to the kids above a child's level of understanding -- they interact with the children as any responsible adult would interact with a child. Just with a different physical presentation.

I’m 47.  My kids watched Yo Gabba Gabba where men were men.
Yo Gabba Gabba was one of the campiest shows on television when it as airing, which allowed the show to work on different levels of understanding and entertain both little kids AND their parents. Lance Robertson might not have been overtly feminine, but his character was purposefully androgynous (Grandma's beehive, Mama's head wrap, or a cool hat? You decide).

First time I actually read one of your posts.  Very  interesting, especially the demonetizing part.  Just curious - do you think Conservatives have more money than Liberals? 

I'll answer this in a different way than others would approach a question like this.

If you are a business owner, at any level, the most devastating thing that can happen to you short of the day you go under, is if you have to lay off good people because of something you could control. I'm not the only small business owner here, and like many others, you form a surrogate family with your work force. If you succeed, they keep their jobs, they pay their mortgages, they feed their kids. If you screw up, they could lose all of that because of your bad decision making. That's a heavy weight.

It's one thing if you have to lay off ten people if the first two are problematic or idiots or guys you knew would have to go soon anyway. But it's tears at your soul if you have to trim the numbers to people you like, people who were loyal, people who are still valuable, people you know will be close to impossible to replace a year later. And if it's because you said or did something stupid, that makes it even worse. If a flying saucer falls out of the sky and destroys your restaurant, what can you do? But if you expand too fast, borrow too much money, come into too many major expenses at once because you didn't plan ahead, get into a lawsuit, etc, etc, the list is vast and endless of ways you can bleed out, those are situations you inflicted.

Conservatives/Republicans don't need to have tons of money. They just need to inflict enough financial loss where people need to be laid off and it will be good solid people and there is no way cognitive dissonance will excuse any of it. Company X went woke, and they took the hit and suffered for it. David Barrett of Expensify sent a mass pro Biden/Vote for Biden email to 10 million people on his email list. His customers were the companies, they signed the formal TOS. The individual employees did not. You can find Barrett talking like some kind of woke hero, but what if he has to lay off half his workforce a year from now because of all of this? Only 19 of close to 140 of his workforce got to vote on sending that email. Barely 2/3rds wanted to do it. He called that a majority and did it anyway. If Barrett has a conscience and his employees are out of work in a tanked economy over this, then what is the recourse? Maybe he blames Trump or someone else. Maybe he has the balls to just be straight up and blame himself.

I could punish you on a team if I was training you. But what is more devastating? Punishing you or punishing the entire team besides you and making you watch? Watch your brothers suffer because of you. Do you know what the greatest sin is on any team environment? Letting your brothers down when they needed you the most. Nothing is more prized between men than loyalty.

I suppose one argument here is that a major corporate entity won't care. It will likely be run by some sociopath who sees everyone as a spear thrower in their own personal feudal army. And my entire work and career experience for decades upon decades is that's just not true. It sells in a movie, but it's just not true. That weight does impact all the things you do in the future. And even for the true psychopaths out there, remember it's never about other people, it's how other people make you feel about yourself. Whether it's empathy or self preservation of the ego, no one wants to hold the ax in their hand against other people's livelihoods.

When someone's kids can't eat because of your whims, there is no more cognitive dissonance. You just have to live with being someone who can't look in the mirror in the morning anymore. I feel sorry for lots of people on the radical woked out cancel culture left. Many are being used like a two dollar whore at closing time and don't even know it.

Sometimes you can't kill the dragon, sometimes you can only castrate it. Imagine a life without your dingle berries and, as Marshawn Lynch puts it, your ding dong sauce. Sometimes a quick death would have been much easier.

This is how Conservatives win. Demonetize their opposition to the point where how they feel about themselves falls apart.

My kids are a bit old for shows on PBS, but they’re asking questions about stuff(not necessarily about drag queens yet, but it’ll probably happen at some point) they see or hear about from their friends, which is entirely natural to be curious about things, and my wife and I have chosen to explain that while we don’t necessarily agree with what they’re doing, they’re still human beings, and our Savior says to love our neighbors, so we’re going to do the best we can.

I'll answer this in a different way than others would approach a question like this.

If you are a business owner, at any level, the most devastating thing that can happen to you short of the day you go under, is if you have to lay off good people because of something you could control. I'm not the only small business owner here, and like many others, you form a surrogate family with your work force. If you succeed, they keep their jobs, they pay their mortgages, they feed their kids. If you screw up, they could lose all of that because of your bad decision making. That's a heavy weight.

It's one thing if you have to lay off ten people if the first two are problematic or idiots or guys you knew would have to go soon anyway. But it's tears at your soul if you have to trim the numbers to people you like, people who were loyal, people who are still valuable, people you know will be close to impossible to replace a year later. And if it's because you said or did something stupid, that makes it even worse. If a flying saucer falls out of the sky and destroys your restaurant, what can you do? But if you expand too fast, borrow too much money, come into too many major expenses at once because you didn't plan ahead, get into a lawsuit, etc, etc, the list is vast and endless of ways you can bleed out, those are situations you inflicted.

Conservatives/Republicans don't need to have tons of money. They just need to inflict enough financial loss where people need to be laid off and it will be good solid people and there is no way cognitive dissonance will excuse any of it. Company X went woke, and they took the hit and suffered for it. David Barrett of Expensify sent a mass pro Biden/Vote for Biden email to 10 million people on his email list. His customers were the companies, they signed the formal TOS. The individual employees did not. You can find Barrett talking like some kind of woke hero, but what if he has to lay off half his workforce a year from now because of all of this? Only 19 of close to 140 of his workforce got to vote on sending that email. Barely 2/3rds wanted to do it. He called that a majority and did it anyway. If Barrett has a conscience and his employees are out of work in a tanked economy over this, then what is the recourse? Maybe he blames Trump or someone else. Maybe he has the balls to just be straight up and blame himself.

I could punish you on a team if I was training you. But what is more devastating? Punishing you or punishing the entire team besides you and making you watch? Watch your brothers suffer because of you. Do you know what the greatest sin is on any team environment? Letting your brothers down when they needed you the most. Nothing is more prized between men than loyalty.

I suppose one argument here is that a major corporate entity won't care. It will likely be run by some sociopath who sees everyone as a spear thrower in their own personal feudal army. And my entire work and career experience for decades upon decades is that's just not true. It sells in a movie, but it's just not true. That weight does impact all the things you do in the future. And even for the true psychopaths out there, remember it's never about other people, it's how other people make you feel about yourself. Whether it's empathy or self preservation of the ego, no one wants to hold the ax in their hand against other people's livelihoods.

When someone's kids can't eat because of your whims, there is no more cognitive dissonance. You just have to live with being someone who can't look in the mirror in the morning anymore. I feel sorry for lots of people on the radical woked out cancel culture left. Many are being used like a two dollar whore at closing time and don't even know it.

Sometimes you can't kill the dragon, sometimes you can only castrate it. Imagine a life without your dingle berries and, as Marshawn Lynch puts it, your ding dong sauce. Sometimes a quick death would have been much easier.

This is how Conservatives win. Demonetize their opposition to the point where how they feel about themselves falls apart.
I'm trying to make sense of this post.  When asked whether conservatives or liberals have more money, you answer it by relaying a story about a liberal entrepreneur sending a mass email about preferring Joe Biden to Donald Trump.  You suggest that this will cause his company business losses and that, eventually, liberals wokeness will cause liberals to self-destruct financially.

Is that right?

I'm trying to make sense of this post.  When asked whether conservatives or liberals have more money, you answer it by relaying a story about a liberal entrepreneur sending a mass email about preferring Joe Biden to Donald Trump.  You suggest that this will cause his company business losses and that, eventually, liberals wokeness will cause liberals to self-destruct financially.

Is that right?

Politics Ruining Your Workplace? Coinbase Vs Expensify Vs Gillette Debate (1/17 20:32 PST)

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/792201-politics-ruining-your-workplace-coinbase-vs-expensify-vs-gillette-debate-117-2032-pst/

All right in there.

I guess I have a different view on the bolded.  I’ve worked for large corporations my whole life, with a sister who was a high level HR Executive, and I just don’t think they give a hoot about employees.  It’s all about self preservation, and to a lesser extent keeping up with the Jones’s on wokeness.  Look at ESPN.  They have lost all sorts of viewership because of their Liberal politics, even had to lay off staff.  It hasn’t stopped them.  Maybe they haven’t been hurt hard enough?

My kids are a bit old for shows on PBS, but they’re asking questions about stuff(not necessarily about drag queens yet, but it’ll probably happen at some point) they see or hear about from their friends, which is entirely natural to be curious about things, and my wife and I have chosen to explain that while we don’t necessarily agree with what they’re doing, they’re still human beings, and our Savior says to love our neighbors, so we’re going to do the best we can.
Wow, Kal - I thought you were fairly Liberal, no?

Wow, Kal - I thought you were fairly Liberal, no?
I am a libertarian(small L) mostly, I do have a few conservative views, but for the most part, I will at least listen to other views. Above all, I am a believer in Jesus, and that is my main guiding force. When it comes to politics, I do not see either main party value my faith’s views, and I have abandoned the parties accordingly.

Really don’t understand the pearl clutching here. While this is not necessarily something I’m excited for my six-year-old daughter to be exposed to or watch there’s a pretty simple solution for that in our household, we don’t put it on for her to watch.  🤷🏻‍♂️  

While I don’t think this is necessary damaging it’s just also not a door that needs opening for my 6yr old yet in my opinion.  So we won’t watch.  If other parents feel differently cool, they can watch.  Really don’t see why this would be a big deal.  
Then don't clutch your pearls?

LOL.  I am not even sure what is going on in that picture.  
I'm no expert here, but it would appear that a few dudes that like to get creative sexually with each other by dressing like dogs in leather outfits are sharing this with the young girl.

I certainly don't think anyone is being harmed.  I can actually understand the viewpoint from some in the LGBTQ community where sexual repression has been the historical norm that they would want to be "in your face" with it as a counter-punch so to speak.

But, the situation of parading around in bedroom outfits in the streets just seems over the top.  Straight couples like certain things as well, but you don't see people walking around with butt plugs hanging around their necks at the memorial day parade. 

djmich said:
 you don't see people walking around with butt plugs hanging around their necks at the memorial day parade. 
Well, duh. That would be in poor taste. Everyone knows those things are meant for the 4th of July or St. Patrick's day parades.

Well, duh. That would be in poor taste. Everyone knows those things are meant for the 4th of July or St. Patrick's day parades.
This statement points out the irony in society.  St. Patrick's day all about drinking, throwing up and getting in fights.   We saw a huge brawl at our last st. paddy's day parade a couple of years back. But here is the thing - we have normalized violence. It's perfectly ok to boot stomp a guy on a sidewalk but gasp someone is exposing their sexuality is completely frowned upon.  

Users who are viewing this thread