What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - Wanda (1 Viewer)

Mjolnirs

Footballguy
Here are the names for 2021.  Here's hoping we don't use them all.
Ana
Bill
Claudette
Danny
Elsa
Fred
Grace
Henri
Ida
Julian
Mindy
Nicholas
Odette

Peter
Rose
Sam
Teresa
Victor
Wanda

Last edited by a moderator:
NHC releases 2021 outlook

Contributing factors include warmer than normal sea-surface temperatures, weaker trade winds, and lower wind shear. A neutral phase of the El Nino Southern Oscillation is likely through the season, however it’s possible we transition transition back to a weak La Nina later in the year, which also aids in tropical development. Additionally, an enhanced African Monsoon season should lead to increased tropical development in the main development region of the Central Atlantic toward the peak of the season.

At the end of the day it’s to important to remember you should prepare for hurricane season in the exact same way every year regardless of what the seasonal outlook says. All it takes is one storm where you live to make it a bad year for you.

We are monitoring an area east of Bermuda at the moment for possible preseason development – a somewhat common occurrence in recent years. There is a high likelihood this develops into a subtropical system in the next day or two as it moves near Bermuda, before moving into a harsher environment late in the weekend into early next weekend. If a storm forms, it would get the name ‘Ana’. It will be no threat to the United States.

We had a Subtropical Storm Ana about 2 weeks ago. It stayed out north of Bermuda, and lasted about 3 days, I think

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a Subtropical Storm Ana about 2 weeks ago. It stayed out north of Bermuda, and lasted about 3 days, I think
It's funny, I saw that they were predicting it could be named, and I kept checking.  That's about when I figured we would need the thread started.
I completely missed her brief life.

It's funny, I saw that they were predicting it could be named, and I kept checking.  That's about when I figured we would need the thread started.
I completely missed her brief life.
Most people did, but because I live in Florida, every meteorologist in the state has to put any tropical system at the top of the news, because it’s one of the few times they get to say something about the weather that isn’t “It’s going to be another hot sunny day, back to you.”

Getting impact windows and doors installed within the next month or so. Hoping for a quiet first half of the season here in South Florida. Quiet entire season would be ideal. 

Story of my life- "Pay no attention to Bill, he's harmless.".

@NHC_Atlantic: Tropical Storm #Bill Advisory 3: Depression Strengthens Into Tropical Storm Bill. Likely to Be Short-Lived. http://go.usa.gov/W3H

97L is going to go full blast in next 24hrs says GFS.  Seems like it will fall apart in Cuba and then dump rain on the panhandle.  It's early. 

Flying down to Daytona Beach for work next Friday>Monday. Thankfully will likely just Miss Elsa. 

Odds Elsa hits Disney? :unsure:  

Well, Elsa looks to be struggling and forecasts are mixed. What has me concerned is the rain.

We have had a bunch of rain locally here in N Florida. Current NHC forecast calls for Elsa to spend an entire day going from offshore Venice FL to offshore Tampa. The ground here is already saturated. More rain in the forecast this weekend. If we get 48 hours of nonstop rain Tues to Wed, we're going to have flooding and it won't take much to topple some of these trees.

Am staying in Fort Myers for a baseball tournament and came across a guy in the elevator who is here visiting. He said he wanted to go to the Keys but because of the hurricane, they are staying put for now. I told him pffffft, we don't even prepare down here for a Cat. 1 much less a tropical storm. He was unfazed. Maybe I at least made him think twice. 

Planning on driving from SoFla tomorrow up to Southern Illinois so I am keeping an eye on how quickly this thing moves through Florida. It's a 17 hour drive without stops and I wanted to leave early in the morning but I may wait a little bit to let Elsa do her thing and then trail behind as she sweeps up to Georgia.

After Elsa the Atlantic looks to be very quiet over the remainder of July.  That's not to say something couldn't spin up in the gulf, but the end of the first half of the season looks mild and while this post will potentially age poorly could signal that this could be a lighter year overall.  2021 is still beating 2020 on ACE, but that nearly certainly won't be true in 3 weeks time.  

Planning on driving from SoFla tomorrow up to Southern Illinois so I am keeping an eye on how quickly this thing moves through Florida. It's a 17 hour drive without stops and I wanted to leave early in the morning but I may wait a little bit to let Elsa do her thing and then trail behind as she sweeps up to Georgia.
Elsa isn't supposed to hit Georgia until Wed evening.

Some heavy rain here after midnight, but the wind was mostly just a breeze. Always thankful when these storms power down sooner than expected, but as always, I will continue to prep. 

Some heavy rain here after midnight, but the wind was mostly just a breeze. Always thankful when these storms power down sooner than expected, but as always, I will continue to prep. 
Glad to see there was no flooding in east St Pete...some people have just recently fixed the damage from last year.

We had a tornado touch down a few miles away (near the school where my wife teaches). No casualties AFAIK. 

Gainesville had some serious flooding.

Mostly relatively minor stuff in the grand scheme of things but major headaches for some.

We had a tornado touch down a few miles away (near the school where my wife teaches). No casualties AFAIK. 

Gainesville had some serious flooding.

Mostly relatively minor stuff in the grand scheme of things but major headaches for some.
4 to 10 inches of rain in a swath from Gainesville to Valdosta.  Power outages in the low thousands per Gainesville TV. Coastal Georgia might get lots of rain,  while Jacksonville appears to have escaped the worst of Elsa.

I have 2 young kids here in Tampa and we have amazingly been in our pool every afternoon from Fri-today. Sky just seems to open up at the same time for 3-5 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread