What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phil proves that 50 is the new 40 (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
Between Phil, Tom Brady and tiger, the idea that age 40 is the end of your prime athletic years has been destroyed the last 2 years. 

To put Phil's accomplishment into perspective, no one in the last 180 years has ever won a major post age 48. Phil is 50.

You have to be amazed that at age 50 he lost a bunch of weight, changed his diet and rededicated his life to golf. This is after a hall of Fame career (he's already in) with 5 majors in the bag. 

If your 50 or older, there's your inspiration.

Unbelievable. Well done, legend.

Between Phil, Tom Brady and tiger, the idea that age 40 is the end of your prime athletic years has been destroyed the last 2 years. 

To put Phil's accomplishment into perspective, no one in the last 180 years has ever won a major post age 48. Phil is 50.

You have to be amazed that at age 50 he lost a bunch of weight, changed his diet and rededicated his life to golf. This is after a hall of Fame career (he's already in) with 5 majors in the bag. 

If your 50 or older, there's your inspiration.

Unbelievable. Well done, legend.
This was not any easy win.

congrats Phil!

you give us old guys hope.

Ahhh, not really.  How old was Watson when he choked?  61?
he was 59, but it should have been fantastically historic.  

I think it's huge deal, but yeah, the real shame is that Watson just absolutely crisped that 8 iron into 18 right at the flag ...he just had a little too much adrenaline going and it just barely rolled off the back edge.  

just killed me to watch him not tuck that away. 

the idea that age 40 is the end of your prime athletic years has been destroyed the last 2 years.
Well for 99.9% of athletes it is.

Love what Phil did, and Brady is doing, and Tiger did.  But these are definitely exceptions to the rule.  We may see more of it though with how far sports science has come.

Either way, that was an amazing day for Phil.

I’ve never seen a golfer increase length like he has in his late 40’s and early 50’s. I mean he was flying it by Koepka all day long. Super impressive. Dude put in the work. Deserves it 
At the Valspar in Tampa a month ago, I stood behind a long par 4 to watch Phil, Bubba, DJ, and JT hit drives. They were all roughly in the same spot...Phil hit it the highest. He also seemed to me to have the longest, widest arc...he really stretches out. And he swung the hardest.

At the Valspar in Tampa a month ago, I stood behind a long par 4 to watch Phil, Bubba, DJ, and JT hit drives. They were all roughly in the same spot...Phil hit it the highest. He also seemed to me to have the longest, widest arc...he really stretches out. And he swung the hardest.
So impressive.  Which hole did they put up the graphic of the longest drive of the tournament and Phil drove 366?  The list under him included Bryson Dechambeau.  As a guy in his mid-50s, I loved watching this tournament.  

i'll be happy to comment on this but, at my age, i need a day to recover from watching....

is Phil gonna play in the Senior PGA this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Golf Digest's pre-tournament assessment of Mickelson in ranking the top 100 players at the PGA Championship:

92. Phil Mickelson

World Ranking: 115 

PGA Championship starts: 28

Best PGA Championship finish: Win, 2005
It’s in there physically—he’s got plenty of speed and still hits a bunch of awesome golf shots seemingly every round, as you saw in his opening-round 64 at Quail Hollow. It seems to be more of a mental obstacle at this stage. He’s said he struggles to stay focused and he just hasn’t been able to string two good rounds together, let alone four. He has no top-20 finishes in his last 17 starts on tour. Needs plenty of room off the tee these days, and PGA Championship layouts typically don’t give it to him; his last four starts in them have resulted in MC/MC/T-71/T-71. He will not go quietly into that good night, but this is not his week.

🤣

he was 59, but it should have been fantastically historic.  

I think it's huge deal, but yeah, the real shame is that Watson just absolutely crisped that 8 iron into 18 right at the flag ...he just had a little too much adrenaline going and it just barely rolled off the back edge.  

just killed me to watch him not tuck that away. 
I bet I think about those last three shots every couple months.  One of my greatest sports-viewing regrets is watching what looked to be a great shot run just off, then him putting the approach just a little too far past the cup, and missing the come back. 

He must think about it every single day.  59 years old!

Had to shape shots and flight the ball. Older players do that better. Most guys today only play one way. At least well
That's true.  It's too bad Tiger had that accident this year.  He's one of the best shot shapers ever.  This course likely would've played to his strengths well.  We could've had a Phil/Tiger matchup on Sunday.  It's been a long time since we got to watch those two battle it out for a title(I think East Lake in 2009 was the last).  Man it would've been fun.

Did golf suddeny become a sporting event requiring athleticism and youth?

Didn't a 59 year old almost win the US open a couple eyars ago?

As a non-golfer, what do those phrases mean?
Back left pin location the shot calls for a draw for a right hander curving right to left with some run out because there is green to work with. Front right hole location might call for a high left to right cut (fade) that stops quick. Into the wind or downwind you want to take the wind out of play so you might want to flight it at a lower trajectory. Phil schooled Brooks all day in all 3 areas. Brooks just kept hitting the same cut shot and sometimes he was 10-15 yards an short in the waste area

I think there are a lot of similarities between Phil and Tom Brady from a training, 'revised' skill set, and planning standpoint.

I also don't think Watson at 59 wins any big event other than the Open that day...especially in the US.  Links golf is much more about strategy and variety than US courses.  The fact that Watson hits the ball as solid as any player ever (hand eye) allowed him to play at the same level as the young guys.

Has always been an athletic sport. To endure the pressure and fatigue of 5 hours of mental chess along with the physical demand of walking 7 miles and having to hit 72 pretty good shots in a row. You could say golf isn't athletic, but you'd also say that every pro golfer has to be an athlete to do that at that level.

Has always been an athletic sport. To endure the pressure and fatigue of 5 hours of mental chess along with the physical demand of walking 7 miles and having to hit 72 pretty good shots in a row. You could say golf isn't athletic, but you'd also say that every pro golfer has to be an athlete to do that at that level.
And it has always been something a 50 year old can do.

I love golf, loved watching Phil win again.. I just found it hilarious listening to all the sports talk on radio and tv playing up the 50 year old thing.  It is golf.

Right, they usually take their $$$ and retire or go to old man tour.

No reason it couldn't be done.
Yep, because the kind of money we see now has always been there.  Just as the talent pool of younger golfers.  The hordes of young guns have always been there in the 456 other majors never won by a 50 year old.

Never mind that it has to be done against the best from how many other countries?

Yep, because the kind of money we see now has always been there.  Just as the talent pool of younger golfers.  The hordes of young guns have always been there in the 456 other majors never won by a 50 year old.

Never mind that it has to be done against the best from how many other countries?
You guys seem to be taking this some kind of way.  :lol:

matuski said:
I love golf, loved watching Phil win again.. I just found it hilarious listening to all the sports talk on radio and tv playing up the 50 year old thing.  It is golf.
He's the only player over 50 to ever win a major. Why wouldn't that be played up? 

Norm Duke, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Tom Baker, Pete Weber, Dale Eagle....all phenomenal athletes who performed great and won many titles over the age of 50.

Oh, so it's just that no player over 50 ever wanted to win a major before?

Thanks for clearing that up.
:lol:  The salty is very much appreciated.

But.....Pretty much yea.  How many 50 year olds try, would be a great question.  How many PGA players stay on tour past 50?  How many could versus how many do?  There is a point where even golf becomes work.

Game of skill, kinda like bowling.  "Athleticism" probly helps, on the otherhand, so would experience.

But.....Pretty much yea.  How many 50 year olds try, would be a great question.  How many PGA players stay on tour past 50?  How many could versus how many do?  There is a point where even golf becomes work.

Game of skill, kinda like bowling.  "Athleticism" probly helps, on the otherhand, so would experience.
You don't have to go on the senior tour when you are 50, just when you are eligible. The reason many most switch when they can is because they can't play as well/keep up with the PGA Tour...shrug 

I'm going to be 50 and am probably a club or club and a half shorter than in my prime. My driver is probably 25 yards shorter and my putting is not as it once was.  Those are real issues on 7500 us courses and 14 stimp greens

For fun go walk and play 18 holes 4 straight days, report back on how you feel. Tia

For fun go walk and play 18 holes 4 straight days, report back on how you feel. Tia
With a caddie doing the work?

eta - you pay for the caddie and I'll start today, follow up with you Sunday?  Deal?

You don't have to go on the senior tour when you are 50, just when you are eligible. The reason many most switch when they can is because they can't play as well/keep up with the PGA Tour...shrug 

I'm going to be 50 and am probably a club or club and a half shorter than in my prime. My driver is probably 25 yards shorter and my putting is not as it once was.  Those are real issues on 7500 us courses and 14 stimp greens
I am aware that age does not help, but I would say experience does help.  Was Phil's physical prowess/strength/athleticism ever something you marveled at?

looking at it now... Phil is still top 50 driving distance - longer than the young Hovland, Day, Justin Thomas, Fowler, and on and on.  So it seems he hasn't lost much?  Not much of an issue and perhaps an advantage over much of the field on a 7500 course with 14 stimp greens?

Brooks Koepka is an absolute "Debbie Downer" any time he opens his mouth. 

Historic performance by Mickelson and that idiot has to make it all about him and his surgically repaired knee and the gallery filled with human beings that are frothing at the bit to enjoy something like this live and in person post pandemic and Brooks has to let everyone know that he almost died being swept up in the crowd and forced the PGA to apologize, pathetic!

Users who are viewing this thread