What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Help Request: 80's Good Guys / Bad Guys? (1 Viewer)

Lehigh98

Footballguy
Calling upon the creative knowledge / creativity of the FFA...

Looking to start up a fantasy league and looks like everything needs to have a theme these days.  We'd be a bunch of mostly mid-40's guys so was trying to think of a theme that would fit but not be too specific / limiting for picking team names.  I figured just picking 80's good guys / bad guys would give alot of leeway to pick movie/tv characters, cartoon characters, video game characters, wrestlers, etc, etc.  

I'd like come up with the names of divisions and playoff brackets, etc to really tie in the theme and designs.  Just for example, could be something like Hall of Justice / Hall of Doom for the good guy and bad guy divisions but maybe something more fun / random.  Would like to incorporate bits of 80's pop culture from all over (movies, tv, cartoons, video games, books, comics, sports, music, commercials, etc, etc) to name the following:

1. Name of the league
    Ideas so far: Good Guys vs Bad Guys, Heroes vs Villains
  2. Name of the 12 team "good guys" conference.
    Ideas so far: Hall of Justice, Fortress Of Solitude, Castle Grayskull
  3. Name of the 12 team "bad guys" conference.
    Ideas so far: Arkham Asylum, League of Shadows, Rogue's Gallery, Sinister Six(x2),
  4. Name of the "good guys" only playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: The Kumite, All Valley Tournament, Cannonball Run, The Running Man
  5. Name of the "bad guys" only playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: Thunderdome, The Upside Down (kinda 80's) 
  6. Name of the combined "good guys" and "bad guys" playoff bracket and title of champion.
    Ideas so far: The Eliminator (American Gladiators), The Final Countdown, There Can Be Only One!, Jose Cuervo Gold Crown Classic (I may be the only one that gets this but lol)
Don't need fully formed plans, just looking for any ideas, thoughts, at all to get my brain started.

TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good guys Conference/Bracket - Crockett&Tubbs (or Miami Vice)

Bad guys Conference/Bracket - Tony Montana (or Scarface)

Good guys Conference/Bracket - Crockett&Tubbs (or Miami Vice)

Bad guys Conference/Bracket - Tony Montana (or Scarface)
Thanks, those would be great for team names. 

Need ideas for overarching groups, organizations, character tests/trials that the teams would fall under.

League of Shadows, Rogues Gallery, Hogan's Alley, Trials of Lion-O, etc...

Are you going to limit the number of good guys and bad guys teams?  It seems you are going for an equal distribution based on your division/bracket/etc divides.  I think that may be problematic unless you are strict on the numbers making everything equal.  I might suggest making it a bit more generic at those top levels so the individual owners aren't limited in their creativity.

Are you going to limit the number of good guys and bad guys teams?  It seems you are going for an equal distribution based on your division/bracket/etc divides.  I think that may be problematic unless you are strict on the numbers making everything equal.  I might suggest making it a bit more generic at those top levels so the individual owners aren't limited in their creativity.
12 teams in "Good Guys" conference and 12 teams in "Bad Guys" conference.  I can think of at least double that for each off the top of my head so I don't think it will be a problem.  If there are two that want the same name can flip a coin, or could do a team name draft, or FCFS and you pick your name when you pay for the league.  

12 teams in "Good Guys" conference and 12 teams in "Bad Guys" conference.  I can think of at least double that for each off the top of my head so I don't think it will be a problem.  If there are two that want the same name can flip a coin, or could do a team name draft, or FCFS and you pick your name when you pay for the league.  
What if you get 16 guys that want bad guy names and only 8 that want good guy names?  That was more what I was referring to over there being enough of each kind.  I could also see that you wait and monitor which owners are going which way and if you know who the good ones are you swerve and make sure you get in the other conference if one starts to get loaded.  Names don't matter but who your opponents are does...hahahah

What if you get 16 guys that want bad guy names and only 8 that want good guy names?  That was more what I was referring to over there being enough of each kind.  I could also see that you wait and monitor which owners are going which way and if you know who the good ones are you swerve and make sure you get in the other conference if one starts to get loaded.  Names don't matter but who your opponents are does...hahahah
Solution

I see what you're saying but this is pretty low on my list of concerns for trying to start up a new 24 team league.  I could randomly assign if people were good or bad but that may be even more restrictive and/or have more people not get what they want.

I like this concept.  I'd go with Superfriends at the league name and then your suggested conferences of "Justice League" and "Legion of Doom".  If there is a loser bracket you could go with something themed along with Wendy/Marvin/Wonderdog or the Wonder Twins/Gleek.

Autobots / Decepticons

Goonies/ Fratellies

Wolverines/ Evil Russians 

Mogwai/Gremlins

Battle of Hoth (bad guys win it)

Nakatomi Plaza (bg win it)

Alderan Cup (largest margin of victory bg vs gg)

Opening of the Ark Trophy (largest MOV gg v bg)

Autobots / Decepticons

Goonies/ Fratellies

Wolverines/ Evil Russians 

Mogwai/Gremlins
Good ideas but trying to mix things up with the division names.  If I do two sides of the coin like that it seems like that should just be the league theme and then we have to come up with 24 characters from Gremlins for example.

Just added the following in the top for playoff bracket name ideas:

The Kumite, All Valley Tournament, Cannonball Run, The Running Man

The Eliminator (American Gladiators), The Final Countdown, There Can Be Only One!, Jose Cuervo Gold Crown Classic (I may be the only one that gets this but lol)

Thanks for everyone's help.  I just realized when trying to name the playoff brackets that I never circled back with how this turned out so far, check it out...

Heroes and Villains of the 80's

We had a draft for team names and once we had 12 heroes or villains, the teams left just had to pick the category that was left. 

Ended up pretty even and wasn't an issue except for a few people that got sniped on team names.   :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread