What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 Old Man Athletes of All-Time (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
Let's figure this out, including the criteria.

I'm not suggesting the following are indeed Top-10.  They're just conversation starters.

1. George Foreman
  2. Gordie Howie
  3. Nolan Ryan
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jack Nicklaus
  6. Phil Mickelson
  7. George Blanda
  8. Jackie Slater
  9. LeBron James
  10. Willie Mosconi
ETA: Satchel Paige, duh

ETA, deaux:  Willie Shoemaker, and his other brother, Willie Stargell.

Last edited by a moderator:
54 year old japanese dude still playing top flight soccer.

Kazuyoshi Miura, often known simply as Kazu, is a Japanese professional footballer who plays as a forward for Yokohama FC in the J1 League. He played for the Japan national team from 1990 to 2000, and was the first Japanese recipient of the Asian Footballer of the Year award. Wikipedia

Born: February 26, 1967 (age 54 years), Shizuoka, Shizuoka, Japan

Current team: Yokohama FC (#11 / Forward)

Mario Andretti

Gordie Howe

ETA - these were the first two to come to mind.  Legends in their sports and playing a sport that requires incredible hand-eye coordination to do it.  Golf can easily be played in to older ages so I don't consider it the same.

Let's figure this out, including the criteria.

I'm not suggesting the following are indeed Top-10.  They're just conversation starters.

1. George Foreman
  2. Gordie Howie
  3. Nolan Ryan
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jack Nicklaus
  6. Phil Mickelson
  7. George Blanda
  8. Jackie Slater
  9. LeBron James
  10. Willie Mosconi
ETA: Satchel Paige, duh
Good list, MoP approved, have no idea what top 10 I would vote in but like the thread topic, is that Ok?

Closet fan for a long time regardless 👍

-Does anyone even remember Bowzer at this point? 

1. Michael Jordan

2. Dan Marino

3. Dr J...Dr J!!!

4. Randy "Macho Man" Savage...screw u!

5. Larry Bird

6. Marvin Hagler

7. Caitlyn Jenner...we called him Bruce

8. Linda Carter...let's be real here, my gawd!!!

9. Jim Brown...if not on list you lose!

10. Bruce Lee...he could kick everyone's ###. 

Thoughts on George Foreman coming back and winning the HW title at age 45? 

Also Manny Pacquiao should be in play. He just announced he will take on legitimately one of the top 5 pound for pound boxers in the world in August. The 42 year old Pacman takes on the 31 year old Errol Spence. Manny is on a 3 fight winning streak all against legit championship fighters. 

1. Michael

Jordan

2. Dan Marino

3. Dr J...Dr J!!!

4. Randy "Macho Man" Savage...screw u!

5. Larry Bird

6. Marvin Hagler

7. Caitlyn Jenner...we called him Bruce

8. Linda

Carter

...let's be real here, my gawd!!!

9. Jim

Brown

...if not on list you lose!

10. Bruce

Lee

...he could kick everyone's ###. 
Wait what? Bruce Lee never even made it to old age. Brown retired at age 30. 

Gordie Howe retired this concept a long time ago. I watched him play just before leaving Boston in '78. He was in his 50s and still getting ducked when he bore down on guys. Brady is amazing and all that, but he's been curling in a ball when it gets steep for like five years. it begins & ends w Mr. Hockey

not so much agreeing on

Foreman

. i could biff as well at 50 as i could at 20, i just couldnt chase em when they ran.
Sure but it's one thing to biff some young punk at a bar than it is to knockout prime world class athletes. I give George a ton of credit for coming back off the couch, getting back into the game pulling off something nobody had ever done. 

1. George Foreman
  2. Gordie Howie
  3. Nolan Ryan
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jack Nicklaus
  6. Phil Mickelson
  7. George Blanda
  8. Jackie Slater
  9. LeBron James
  10. Willie Mosconi
I think for the NBA, we start with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar starting 155 regular-season games for the Lakers after age 40, and being a 14 ppg scorer on an NBA title team at age 41.

there was a guy named Jack Kelly or some such would come to the line in Hopkinton to start the Boston Marathon. i thought it was like an emeritus thing like morning @ the Masters, but this 800yo guy would actually run the damn thing like he'd been doing since Paul Revere was a judge. saw him on both ends, one time we overstayed the finish line. amazing

and, sorry, but Mickelson is still behind Sam Snead & and even Gary Player, who can probably still do a better handstand than Phil, on the oldster golf rolls

More like a trivia question ... but did we know that Robert flippin' Parish was the 12th man on the 1997 Chicago Bulls title team? He was the only guy on the Bulls roster not to get any minutes in The Finals vs. Utah.

Yes, THAT Robert Parish. The Chief, Double-00. He of the 80s Celtics dynasty.

I think for the NBA, we start with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar starting 155 regular-season games for the Lakers after age 40, and being a 14 ppg scorer on an NBA title team at age 41.
Definitely crossed my mind, but I lean strongly that LeBron's old age performance is better that Kareem's.

Definitely crossed my mind, but I lean strongly that LeBron's old age performance is better that Kareem's.
King James is but a pup of 36, Admittedly, he looks older than that, though.

Nolan Ryan takes the baseball pitching title in my book. Big Randy is like Foreman & Kareem - leveraging a physical advantage to be viable past the time others could be. Howe & Ryan's lack of compromise gets more admiration from me.

And the Splendid Splinter gets my old man batter title. .388 @ 39yo after two tours of duty, still ripping it when he quit 3 yrs later and coulda did 5 yrs more without anyone but Teddy Ballgame knowing the difference.

And the Splendid Splinter gets my old man batter title. .388 @ 39yo after two tours of duty, still ripping it when he quit 3 yrs later and coulda did 5 yrs more without anyone but Teddy Ballgame knowing the difference.
Ted Williams is actually a really good call. No doubt if he'd been born 50-60 years later, he'd be a viable player into his mid-40s. Like Ichiro with way more pop.

Nolan Ryan takes the baseball pitching title in my book. Big Randy is like Foreman & Kareem - leveraging a physical advantage to be viable past the time others could be. Howe & Ryan's lack of compromise gets more admiration from me.

He's a head up on everyone else I think.

🥶

Had to post this tidbit from Williams's Wikipedia page:

On September 2, 1945, when the war ended, Lt. Williams was in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii awaiting orders as a replacement pilot. While in Pearl Harbor, Williams played baseball in the Navy League. Also in that eight-team league were Joe DiMaggio, Joe Gordon, and Stan Musial. The Service World Series with the Army versus the Navy attracted crowds of 40,000 for each game. The players said it was even better than the actual World Series being played between the Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs that year
Holy smokes. You're pitching in the Navy League for kicks. Normally, you're facing a bunch of fresh-faced high-school heroes and maybe the occasional Single-A washout or something. Then flippin' Ted Williams walks up, tapping dirt off his spikes.

I wonder if the Navy stacked up their Service World Series squad with all those MLB ringers?

Tried to figure out a way to work my personal favorite ballplayer Stan Musial into the discussion here.

Ted was a much better oldster though.

Had to post this tidbit from Williams's Wikipedia page:

Holy smokes. You're pitching in the Navy League for kicks. Normally, you're facing a bunch of fresh-faced high-school heroes and maybe the occasional Single-A washout or something. Then flippin' Ted Williams walks up, tapping dirt off his spikes.

I wonder if the Navy stacked up their Service World Series squad with all those MLB ringers?
I know it's apples and oranges, but what top athletes today would sign up during a major war?

Tillman is the closest equivalent for today, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread