What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Cena Apologizes In Mandarin? (2 Viewers)

I'll boycott his movie, but I wasn't going to watch it anyway.  I'm disappointed in liberal Hollywood more than Cena. 

I think that whole industry is on the downswing and might not be too long before it crashes. 
I'm curious to know why this is considered a line in the sand for you but not every single thing in walmart made in sweat shops in china.  We bow to the might $$$.  Hollywood makes huge money over there.  So do most big American companies.  

To me this is like being mad at Columbia for making cocaine when we can't stop snorting it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: JAA
I'm curious to know why this is considered a line in the sand for you but not every single thing in walmart made in sweat shops in china.  We bow to the might $$$.  Hollywood makes huge money over there.  So do most big American companies.  

To me this is like being mad at Columbia for making cocaine when we can't stop snorting it.  
I wish I didn't have to shop at Walmart as much as I do, but living on a budget I have to do what is best for me and my family. 

I can be picky with entertainment.  We vote with our dollars right?  Cheap things from China that fill a need is something I'll spend money on.  This movie and things like Nike are things I won't spend money on.

Hollywood is big on virtue signalling, so I also view this as hypocritical coming from their industry.  Walmart tries to stay out of political headlines which makes shopping there more bearable.   

I wish I didn't have to shop at Walmart as much as I do, but living on a budget I have to do what is best for me and my family. 

I can be picky with entertainment.  We vote with our dollars right?  Cheap things from China that fill a need is something I'll spend money on.  This movie and things like Nike are things I won't spend money on.

Hollywood is big on virtue signalling, so I also view this as hypocritical coming from their industry.  Walmart tries to stay out of political headlines which makes shopping there more bearable.   
This isn't virtue signaling to me though.  Hollywood's product is its stars.  So if they want into the billion$$$ Chinese market they have to make sure their products are best aligned to support that market.  

I'm not saying it's right.  I'm very anti-china and have been for a long time.  I don't think we should allow american corps to use sweat shops over there either.  

This isn't virtue signaling to me though.  Hollywood's product is its stars.  So if they want into the billion$$$ Chinese market they have to make sure their products are best aligned to support that market.  

I'm not saying it's right.  I'm very anti-china and have been for a long time.  I don't think we should allow american corps to use sweat shops over there either.  
But it's what rubs people the wrong way.  The Award shows have garbage ratings because people are watching less movies and those shows are now associated with righteous acceptance speeches.  Stop global warming, end racism, be kind to one another, don't exclude people... Most pPeople support these things, but those with megaphones are in position to make that sort of change and just fall flat often. 

I mean we are talking about recognizing Taiwan as a country here.  This is basic human decency...

But it's what rubs people the wrong way.  The Award shows have garbage ratings because people are watching less movies and those shows are now associated with righteous acceptance speeches.  Stop global warming, end racism, be kind to one another, don't exclude people... Most pPeople support these things, but those with megaphones are in position to make that sort of change and just fall flat often. 

I mean we are talking about recognizing Taiwan as a country here.  This is basic human decency...
I don't disagree with you I just don't separate the two.  if we are going to pour billions of american $$$s into China to get a tshirt that is $2 less expensive than I think you lose your credibility to criticize Cena over this.  The product is the people and they want that money.  It makes perfect sense.  And as mentioned before, this is the USA, we will do anything to chase the money.  Including making China a super power (because let's not kid ourselves, this is our fault).  

I don't disagree with you I just don't separate the two.  if we are going to pour billions of american $$$s into China to get a tshirt that is $2 less expensive than I think you lose your credibility to criticize Cena over this.  The product is the people and they want that money.  It makes perfect sense.  And as mentioned before, this is the USA, we will do anything to chase the money.  Including making China a super power (because let's not kid ourselves, this is our fault).  
I've turned off the NBA as well and it's definitely easier to give up things that were only borderline on my radar to begin with. 

If Walmart came out and said they don't recognize Taiwan and won't sell their goods any longer, I'd probably boycott walmart at that point. 

I can't recall Walmart ever lecturing me about their commitment to social justice.  I definitely don't recall Walmart putting on prime-time awards shows where Walmart executives congratulate one another for their high-mindedness while (of course) lecturing the rest of us on how we should be better.  

Not a fan of Walmart, but the fact that I can stroll in and buy an HDMI cable without an ideological reeducation is a decent point in their favor, at least relative to Hollywood.

I can't recall Walmart ever lecturing me about their commitment to social justice.  I definitely don't recall Walmart putting on prime-time awards shows where Walmart executives congratulate one another for their high-mindedness while (of course) lecturing the rest of us on how we should be better.  

Not a fan of Walmart, but the fact that I can stroll in and buy an HDMI cable without an ideological reeducation is a decent point in their favor, at least relative to Hollywood.
Well it got off track here but this is about Cena apologizing to China because he is the product for sale in China which is a billion $$ industry

I'm not talking about larger virtue signaling

Just connecting the dots that we chase the money and that all Cena is doing.  Just like every other american crop running a sweat shop over there.

Just connecting the dots that we chase the money and that all Cena is doing.  
I don't think buying an item where you are unsure of how it's made is the same as going on twitter and making a video apologizing to China for calling Taiwan a country and proclaiming how much you love China.

Do you?

I thought JB was saying "is it real" because Cena was speaking Chinese lol.  With that linguistic backdrop is just seems very "grovelly".
I am ashamed to admit I know this, but John Cena actually already knew how to speak Mandarin and he was speaking Mandarin when he called Taiwan a country, so his apology in Mandarin isn't as unusual as it seems. Mind you, I am not endorsing his apology.

NBA.com banned people from getting "Free Hong Kong" on the back of a custom jersey. And we know why those people were kicked out. 
They were kicked out for their signs not because of their wearing apparel.

People may have been prevented from getting the custom jersey because it could have viewed as an NBA endorsement of a political message printed on it.

People may have been prevented from getting the custom jersey because it could have viewed as an NBA endorsement of a political message printed on it.
Wait until you see the custom slogans that were approved.

I think you're arguing to argue, but the promoted blm which is political and I doubt they are kicking anyone out who chants BLM or brings a sign. 

Just call it what it is

I can't speak for anyone else here but sweatshops are not my concern with China.  I've seen discussions here where intelligent people (Maurile IIRC) made a strong case for sweatshops in 3rd world countries being a positive and not a negative.  But China is committing genocide and slavery of people and we act like it's not even happening.  Disney films movies down the road from internment camps.  But not a peep in America about these human rights abuses.  It's amazing the lengths we'll go to as a society in pursuit of that next almighty dollar. 

On a scale of 1 (no desire at all) to 10 (extreme desire) how would you rate the NBA's desire to appease China? 
I haven't seen any arguments yet as to why the NBA would have any desire at all to appease China...so I would say 1.

By the same token, the NBA would not wish to take an official stand on any world issue that might antagonize China, or any other country. There is no upside to getting involved in the political issues of other countries.

I haven't seen any arguments yet as to why the NBA would have any desire at all to appease China...so I would say 1.

By the same token, the NBA would not wish to take an official stand on any world issue that might antagonize China, or any other country. There is no upside to getting involved in the political issues of other countries.

You must obviously not watch nor have paid attention to the NBA in a LONG time.  China is a massive market for the NBA.  There are literally billions of dollars at stake for them there.  

@Joe Bryant my take is its a very high number. 8/9 level.  Though they would never let it be known. 

I missed this thread during the week, didn't even read the 2nd post but I hope that you asking if it's real means you might have a problem with it as do so many of us. 

I go back to when King James, Lebron gets off the plane from China about 2 seasons ago now but less than 24 months ago and the first thing he did was intimidate Daryl Morey and undermine him to the media. This is not the best angle of when LeBron was speaking but it makes my EARS BLEED when he did this back then and sounds even worse NOW! Cancel Culture? How come there isn't some Sports Boys version of that which sifts thru some of this horrific BS some of these players and especially media and are never taken to task and never asked to be accountable. 

I'm going to feel awkward if I start reading Post #2 and this isn't what i think it is. That tweet from Cena, almost looks scared like his livelihood was stripped. 

Americans just arent educated enough on the horrors of the CCP to be outraged. 

It's just another topic the national media ignores. 

Hell Biden even seemed to ok China being China...

Americans just arent educated enough on the horrors of the CCP to be outraged. 

It's just another topic the national media ignores. 

Hell Biden even seemed to ok China being China...
Why any of us be outraged at a John Cena apology?

Now...being mad at conditions in China...sure.  Nothing new there and Biden "okaying" it was more of a...Im smart enough not to get into a war with China right now given where things are globally in regards to the economy.  Or to really get into war with China at all.

Now...being mad at conditions in China...sure.  Nothing new there and Biden "okaying" it was more of a...Im smart enough not to get into a war with China right now given where things are globally in regards to the economy.  Or to really get into war with China at all.
I'm not outraged at Cena. I'm outraged at the CCP. 

And what course of action do you feel is prudent?
For me, I said I'm not going to spend money on things I find hypocritical in regards to China. 

I feel like the US should take a stronger stance on the Uyghur situation. I do understand why we aren't, but that also makes me tune out other political and social calls for "justice" when it's clear we're only playing the cards that are convenient. 

Couple of things. 

I know it's fun to label the other side as overreacting, but I don't see any "outrage". Real or "faux". 

What I see are people surprised/discouraged/disappointed to see a popular American grovel at the feet of China. 

As for why, you answered the question. Lots of people are upset with the conditions in China. And to see Cena bootlick like that seemed remarkable. I don't think anyone is confused as to why. Money talks. But it was still something that some people found interesting. 

:shrug:  

Couple of things. 

I know it's fun to label the other side as overreacting, but I don't see any "outrage". Real or "faux". 

What I see are people surprised/discouraged/disappointed to see a popular American grovel at the feet of China. 

As for why, you answered the question. Lots of people are upset with the conditions in China. And to see Cena bootlick like that seemed remarkable. I don't think anyone is confused as to why. Money talks. But it was still something that some people found interesting. 

:shrug:  
I guess why now is my question then...because someone in Hollywood apologized?  I think we have all remained pretty silent on most things China for a ling time...just as we remain pretty silent in humanitarian conditions in many other countries.  The difference there is like you say, money talks.

I guess why now is my question then...
Are you asking why people weren't upset about Cena's groveling in Mandarin prior to him groveling in Mandarin?

Right. Liberals have been groveling to China for years -- Disney, the NBA, etc.; but Cena's apology is a sign that conservative icons are not immune to China's influence, either. He's the proverbial canary in a coal mine. He's a wake-up call.
Is Cena active in conservative politics?  I didn't know that

On what basis is he a conservative icon?
I think it's safe to say that any longtime star of the WWE, who starred as the lead character in a movie called "The Marine" and followed with a string of movies where he plays almost-stereotypical conservative roles (cops, firefighters, soldiers, weightlifters, etc.), who has publicly endorsed Republican political candidates.....is going to be considered an icon to a significant portion of the conservative demographic.

That's why Cena's apology is generating so much attention. If this was Sean Penn or Lebron James, the reaction from the right would be standard fare mockery and political zingers for a few days, then it's right back to enjoying their iPhones. But Cena's apology hits a little too close to home. It's a cold dose of reality, shining a spotlight on America's increasing acquiescence to China.

Users who are viewing this thread