What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This NONSENSE of 23 States refusing money intended to help those who were flushed off the face of the planet with the pandemic. (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
-I already know this will not be popular in the circles i frequent and will fly in the face of many MoP mantras over the many years but I am having a hard time, difficult time, impossible time trying to feel sympathy for the businesses that now cannot hire minimum wage-like employees to come running back and break their asses working round the clock so that very few people can really prosper other than perhaps the business owner. Without diving into specifics I think many of these jobs are within companies that have questionable benefits in terms of health to most of their customers so if these businesses did perish i have a hard time finding many tears for them. 

-I'm irritated because we need to be understanding of people who were doing nothing wrong prior to the pandemic and were pretty much stripped of their jobs not because they wouldn't work but it was simple taken away from them or they were forced to operate in conditions I could not or would not choose to...my 21 year old wore a mask the whole time at Publix, i never wore a mask other than to buy groceries let alone have one strapped to my face 8 hours a day. Some of you DID have to experience different forms of this. 

-I would normally resent anyone sitting at home collecting a government check but for some reason this time around I am having a hard time cheering these 23 States for likely doing the right thing in most instances but here I am questioning why we need to do this. 

I'm having a hard time sympathizing with most of the businesses, many who seemed eager to get into the pandemic and change policies almost overnight. I've watched WallStreet SOAR from a low of around 16-17,000? It's doubled from that bottoming out about a year ago, that's absolutely insane to me and most Americans. How can they be making so much money when places were closed? Entire cities or downtown areas of major urban areas were ordered to be shuttered during the pandemic, were they not? 

I'm not doing well on this issue and not finding myself agreeing with folks saying "Good, get their asses back to work"

Was it really a total vacation for everyone?

-I already know this will not be popular in the circles i frequent and will fly in the face of many MoP mantras over the many years but I am having a hard time, difficult time, impossible time trying to feel sympathy for the businesses that now cannot hire minimum wage-like employees to come running back and break their asses working round the clock so that very few people can really prosper other than perhaps the business owner. Without diving into specifics I think many of these jobs are within companies that have questionable benefits in terms of health to most of their customers so if these businesses did perish i have a hard time finding many tears for them. 

-I'm irritated because we need to be understanding of people who were doing nothing wrong prior to the pandemic and were pretty much stripped of their jobs not because they wouldn't work but it was simple taken away from them or they were forced to operate in conditions I could not or would not choose to...my 21 year old wore a mask the whole time at Publix, i never wore a mask other than to buy groceries let alone have one strapped to my face 8 hours a day. Some of you DID have to experience different forms of this. 

-I would normally resent anyone sitting at home collecting a government check but for some reason this time around I am having a hard time cheering these 23 States for likely doing the right thing in most instances but here I am questioning why we need to do this. 

I'm having a hard time sympathizing with most of the businesses, many who seemed eager to get into the pandemic and change policies almost overnight. I've watched WallStreet SOAR from a low of around 16-17,000? It's doubled from that bottoming out about a year ago, that's absolutely insane to me and most Americans. How can they be making so much money when places were closed? Entire cities or downtown areas of major urban areas were ordered to be shuttered during the pandemic, were they not? 

I'm not doing well on this issue and not finding myself agreeing with folks saying "Good, get their asses back to work"

We all know it was not a total vacation for most of the people badly affected by the pandemic.

Those don't make good talking points though

We all know it was not a total vacation for most of the people badly affected by the pandemic.

Those don't make good talking points though
Help me out "Kill"

-I'm trying to point out that even to some folks who have been raised on work work work until you can't work and then work a little more so you can get ahead and help future generations of your family, etc...#### all that is what i am saying. You can't sell that pipe dream now to poor folks who are often told/sold that if they would just make a little sacrifice that they could get ahead and also change the arc of their entire family. 

What are the talking points since you seem to have them, yes/no? 

I'm very angry about how the average citizen has been played over the last 12+ months now. I thought by being real and putting a spotlight on it, even if I cannot verbalize it exactly how it suits everyone, I know I am on the pulse of this. Hard for me to believe folks are looking down on people who don't want to rush right back out and be your morning barista or short order cook is what I am saying.

I don't begrudge those who want to flip their middle finger at people who want to rush them back to their fairly harsh and rough day to day living vs many of us. 

I felt much different last summer but now I feel differently towards those that have lost a LOT during the pandemic including family members and loved ones. 

I think it's a terrible mistake to force people back to work. If you have to force people then it speaks volumes to what the system truly is about. 

Help me out "Kill"

-I'm trying to point out that even to some folks who have been raised on work work work until you can't work and then work a little more so you can get ahead and help future generations of your family, etc...#### all that is what i am saying. You can't sell that pipe dream now to poor folks who are often told/sold that if they would just make a little sacrifice that they could get ahead and also change the arc of their entire family. 

I'm very angry about how the average citizen has been played over the last 12+ months now. I thought by being real and putting a spotlight on it, even if I cannot verbalize it exactly how it suits everyone, I know I am on the pulse of this. Hard for me to believe folks are looking down on people who don't want to rush right back out and be your morning barista or short order cook is what I am saying.

I don't begrudge those who want to flip their middle finger at people who want to rush them back to their fairly harsh and rough day to day living vs many of us. 

I felt much different last summer but now I feel differently towards those that have lost a LOT during the pandemic including family members and loved ones. 

I think it's a terrible mistake to force people back to work. If you have to force people then it speaks volumes to what the system truly is about. 
It's the same as the welfare conversation over the years, or the minimum wage conversation.  People focus on the bad apples and the unique case to push a narrative that these people deserve what they get and if they wanted something different they can just 'work hard' and live out the American dream.  I don't know what the answer is by any stretch but I also tire of everyone shouting at everyone else and this rigid rhetorical ideology guiding everything.  

How many times have companies outsourced jobs to China or Mexico to save money? Closed a plant or retail location? Fired staff so they could hire a third party vendor to do the work cheaper? They just call it a "business decision" and move on, consequences to employees and those they support be damned. I have zero sympathy for places that pay their workers minimum wage (or less in the restaurant/bar industry) for tough jobs with crappy hours and no benefits crying about not being able to find workers. Let's just call it a "business decision" on the part of those that refuse to return to such places of employment. Economic karma.

Help me out "Kill"

Do you know who is getting played?  The rest of the working class who has to cover for the people who are able to work, yet do not.   I do agree with a lot of your points, but I'm looking at it from the management side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me out "Kill"

It’s impossible for parts of the economy to recover without low wage employees.  Right now unemployment benefits are competing and winning when a person can make more sitting at home rather work or work somewhere under the table and collect.  I believe the states that are turning back fed $300 have more job openings then people on unemployment.  Here in my state, the governor just started a program for $1000 bonuses for all new hires.  We have many small businesses closed for lack of help.  

In addition, most small businesses suffered losses last year.  My business revenue was off 35% from the year prior.  

Oh.....the world owes me a living.   

They dont have to go back to work.   But they shouldnt get any more unployment.   After all.  Where does it end.   1 year from now?   5 years.    Do you think they should be allowed to retire at 25.

The stock market it bloated on 10 trillion of spending in the last year.   But inflation is moving out of the stock market.

Time to get back to work, if these people employers are still shut down in States that are opened up, they found a way to get more in IU then what they were earning or it's time for them to get a job as their employer is not opening back up.

not sure what the situation is where you are in terms of the Hospitality Industry, but i can tell you from first-hand experience finding staffing in CA right now is as challenging as it's ever been. part of it could be folks on EDD with extended benefits are choosing not to return to their old positions because they are earning as much (or more) than they did working XX hours per week. a much larger percentage of these folks have been forced to move or changed careers in the face of a three month lockdown - where it was made effectively illegal to perform many services in the Hospitality sector - followed by another seven-week shutdown at the end of 2020 and into early 2021. there literally wasn't any work for them for months at a time, followed by limits and restrictions when re-opening were allowed to happen, so they charted a new course much like the businesses they used to work for. 

it's not a "want to work" issue, it's a "there literally isn't a workforce" issue...at least in this part of the world. 

It would also be nice if people did their homework prior to going off on emotional rampages. For example, in Montana (the first state to refuse Fed payments), here are some appropriate contextual facts:

*  The Fed benefits do not end until 6/27 (another two full months since the decision).

* A $1,200 incentive bonus to be given once a new job is started (after four weeks on the job).

* When the decision was made, Montana's unemployment rate was 3.8%; the same as pre-pandemic levels.

* The governor's decision followed the recommendation of a bi-partisan advisory commission. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-governor-ends-extra-unemployment-payments-citing-worker-shortage-n1266346

not sure what the situation is where you are in terms of the Hospitality Industry, but i can tell you from first-hand experience finding staffing in CA right now is as challenging as it's ever been. part of it could be folks on EDD with extended benefits are choosing not to return to their old positions because they are earning as much (or more) than they did working XX hours per week. a much larger percentage of these folks have been forced to move or changed careers in the face of a three month lockdown - where it was made effectively illegal to perform many services in the Hospitality sector - followed by another seven-week shutdown at the end of 2020 and into early 2021. there literally wasn't any work for them for months at a time, followed by limits and restrictions when re-opening we're allowed to happen, so they charted a new course much like the businesses they used to work for. 

it's not a "want to work" issue, it's a "there literally isn't a workforce" issue...at least in this part of the world. 
This is one part that has been devastated thanks to the states not opening up.  We are getting crushed in the wedding business, down by 2/3 from two years ago just on this holiday weekend.  

For MoP and others who agree with him - How much should a nonskilled worker make to get his ### off the couch and not make $15/hour on unemployment?

I don't look down on anyone who isn't rushing back to work.  That's great - do your thing.  Just don't ask me to pay for your sojourn now that a vaccine is generally available to allow anyone to go back to work.  I worked 2800ish hours last year during this mess, and rebuilt a house smacked around by Sally, and homeschooled my kid for a while.  So while I can empathize with the thought of not going back to the grind I can't sympathize.

Absolutely.  Losing loved ones is horrid.  Not being able to see and take care of our elders, in many cases, was horrid.  This kind of thing affected almost everyone.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.  It's a free country.  But, if you want it, fund it your damned self.

Get ahead, arc of their family?  Seriously, we're talking about a time right now when most folks got their $1,400 and went straight out to buy crap.  Which is why new car dealerships are empty and used car prices are up 30%.  

They're not working a little more to get ahead, they're funding $700/month payments for a new F150.

It's always interesting to me how quickly "supply and demand" is forgotten when the federal government giving people $300 a week is wrecking businesses.  "Lucky to have a job" seems to have run it's course....all those stagnant wage people are realizing how they've been screwed for the better part of the last 10-12 years.  I'm fortunate that my company sees this and is providing raises for us to stay around.

This feels like a good workaround for the fact that Republicans never want to raise the minimum wage.  Just give everybody enough money so they’re not willing to work for those wages.  Seems like we might actually end up in about the same place.
Again with the libs and their eternal struggle with science and data...

* Romney, Cotton Plan Would Raise Minimum Wage, Protect Jobs for Legal Workers

* Their legislation is backed by Ohio’s Rob Portman, West Virginia’s Shelley Moore Capito, and Maine’s Susan Collins.* Capito said she could go higher than $10, though Democrats needed to “realize it’ll have to be a compromise figure.”

https://www.romney.senate.gov/romney-cotton-plan-would-raise-minimum-wage-protect-jobs-legal-workers

https://slate.com/business/2021/03/republicans-minimum-wage-raise-senate.html

It's always interesting to me how quickly "supply and demand" is forgotten when the federal government giving people $300 a week is wrecking businesses.  "Lucky to have a job" seems to have run it's course....all those stagnant wage people are realizing how they've been screwed for the better part of the last 10-12 years.
See two posts up.  Correlation, meet causation.

This feels like a good workaround for the fact that Republicans never want to raise the minimum wage.  Just give everybody enough money so they’re not willing to work for those wages.  Seems like we might actually end up in about the same place.
Minimum wage doesn't factor into it in many places.  If the WalMart clost to me can't get people to work at $18/hour, what does the min wage have to do with it?  I just want able-bodied people off the government nipple.

The wage raise will be likely heavily offset by inflation.

It's always interesting to me how quickly "supply and demand" is forgotten when the federal government giving people $300 a week is wrecking businesses.  "Lucky to have a job" seems to have run it's course....all those stagnant wage people are realizing how they've been screwed for the better part of the last 10-12 years.  I'm fortunate that my company sees this and is providing raises for us to stay around.
Small businesses don't have that luxury.

Again with the libs and their eternal struggle with science and data...

* Romney, Cotton Plan Would Raise Minimum Wage, Protect Jobs for Legal Workers

* Their legislation is backed by Ohio’s Rob Portman, West Virginia’s Shelley Moore Capito, and Maine’s Susan Collins.* Capito said she could go higher than $10, though Democrats needed to “realize it’ll have to be a compromise figure.”

https://www.romney.senate.gov/romney-cotton-plan-would-raise-minimum-wage-protect-jobs-legal-workers

https://slate.com/business/2021/03/republicans-minimum-wage-raise-senate.html

The fact that 10 Republican Senators were willing to raise the minimum wage as part of a compromise deal in which Democrats had to make huge concessions in other areas does not mean “Republicans” want to raise the minimum wage.

If even 51% of Congressional Republicans supported raising the minimum wage it would have been raised some time during the Trump administration.  I believe that 100% of the Democratic caucus is in favor of raising the federal minimum wage so passage would have been super easy.

Minimum wage doesn't factor into it in many places.  If the WalMart clost to me can't get people to work at $18/hour, what does the min wage have to do with it?  I just want able-bodied people off the government nipple.
The purpose of raising the minimum wage is to force employers to pay higher wages.  It turns out there’s another way to force employers to pay higher wages — giving people money.

With the massive flood of cheap labor/illegal immigrants or do we pretend those don't exist for this exercise?
again, as it pertains to CA specifically: there is a labor shortage in both construction and agriculture. and contrary to popular belief, folks who work in the vineyards and fields can earn far more than a $15 min wage. 

The purpose of raising the minimum wage is to force employers to pay higher wages.  It turns out there’s another way to force employers to pay higher wages — giving people money.
The new found earnings are sadly going to evaporate as prices soar.  Learning a marketable skill to break away from the minimum wage grind is always best.  

In my findings with MW labor these days - very resentful, don't care as they can always get hired across the street for the same money.

The new found earnings are sadly going to evaporate as prices soar.  Learning a marketable skill to break away from the minimum wage grind is always best.  
Government is a horrible allocator of resources.  Right now they're absolutely flooding the zone with money.

A controlled minimum wage increase would have much, much less effect on inflation than what they're doing now. 

not sure what the situation is where you are in terms of the Hospitality Industry, but i can tell you from first-hand experience finding staffing in CA right now is as challenging as it's ever been. part of it could be folks on EDD with extended benefits are choosing not to return to their old positions because they are earning as much (or more) than they did working XX hours per week. a much larger percentage of these folks have been forced to move or changed careers in the face of a three month lockdown - where it was made effectively illegal to perform many services in the Hospitality sector - followed by another seven-week shutdown at the end of 2020 and into early 2021. there literally wasn't any work for them for months at a time, followed by limits and restrictions when re-opening we're allowed to happen, so they charted a new course much like the businesses they used to work for. 

This is one part that has been devastated thanks to the states not opening up.  We are getting crushed in the wedding business, down by 2/3 from two years ago just on this holiday weekend.  
I run 11 wedding venues in So-Cal.  The demand for weddings for us is record pace, we are crushed with business.  Staffing though is a massive massive problem.  We can not get banquet staff to even apply for jobs that paid 17/18 an hour in 2019 and now we're offering 20+ and those that do it's pure BS. My Management teams and Sales teams are getting really run down having to wear multiple hats and fill multiple roles.  From what I'm seeing is it's a "want to work" issue.  Can't tell you how many interviews we've done where the person is asking for weekends off (remember this is the weddng biz so yeah, no) and $35 an hour.  These people have zero intention of taking any job, they showed up to tick the box on unemployment saying they are seeking employment.

Help me out "Kill"

sitting at home collecting a check does nothing for anyone except for the guy on the couch &  the taxpayers paying for it.  to each their own, I guess.  

disagree 100% but don't have the zeal to pursue this.  screwed?

good luck with this opinion.

sounds like you feel screwed also, but I don't know.

I run 11 wedding venues in So-Cal.  The demand for weddings for us is record pace, we are crushed with business.  Staffing though is a massive massive problem.  We can not get banquet staff to even apply for jobs that paid 17/18 an hour in 2019 and now we're offering 20+ and those that do it's pure BS. My Management teams and Sales teams are getting really run down having to wear multiple hats and fill multiple roles.  From what I'm seeing is it's a "want to work" issue.  Can't tell you how many interviews we've done where the person is asking for weekends off (remember this is the weddng biz so yeah, no) and $35 an hour.  These people have zero intention of taking any job, they showed up to tick the box on unemployment saying they are seeking employment.
Michigan is going to adapt this next month.  It's another headache for management to interview someone who just wants the box checked so they can remain on unemployment.  We would be swamped EXCEPT the maximum is 50 people inside, Indiana went to 300 in March.  All of our weddings moved to Indiana.  

seeing the same re: weekends off, though haven’t had the $35/hr ask [yet]. 

In my findings with MW labor these days - very resentful, don't care as they can always get hired across the street for the same money.
It’s often not an option for those working minimum wage jobs. They are working the jobs to pay the bills. In fact, I’ve heard from some that’s the reason they’re not taking those jobs is because they know it will continue the endless cycle that they will never advance.

Staying on unemployment isn’t any better and they will eventual end up back there. Maybe instead of requiring proof of applications, start programs that will help teach them the needed skills and require attendance for continued unemployment.

Do you own a business?  Minimum wage jobs should not be permanent.

Wrong approach here.  Raising the minimum wage in the long run does not help the working poor..  

How many times have companies outsourced jobs to China or Mexico to save money? Closed a plant or retail location? Fired staff so they could hire a third party vendor to do the work cheaper? They just call it a "business decision" and move on, consequences to employees and those they support be damned. I have zero sympathy for places that pay their workers minimum wage (or less in the restaurant/bar industry) for tough jobs with crappy hours and no benefits crying about not being able to find workers. Let's just call it a "business decision" on the part of those that refuse to return to such places of employment. Economic karma.
Here we go 

👍

Welcome to the new America.  I can’t find people to work in the daycares.  No daycare coverage, parents can’t go back to work.  Vicious circle we live in here.  

Michigan is going to adapt this next month.  It's another headache for management to interview someone who just wants the box checked so they can remain on unemployment.  We would be swamped EXCEPT the maximum is 50 people inside, Indiana went to 300 in March.  All of our weddings moved to Indiana.  
We got aggressive with doing outside weddings pretty early, we’re also lucky and we’re in California and can do that. Doing weddings Thursday through Monday at pretty much every one of my locations right now and are booked out through the rest of this year in into next.  Honestly were overwhelmed with demand.  I understand normally this is a “first world problems” kind of situation but when you literally can’t find a work force to execute these event and you have a year worth of massive debt (because you have an owner who prioritized the employees and didn’t furlough, the right and great human decision and bad financial one) it’s a problem.  

Do you own a business?  Minimum wage jobs should not be permanent.
Exactly. That’s the problem that’s so many people just don’t understand. Entry level minimum wage jobs are never intended to be for the person trying to support a family of four. They’re exactly that entry level positions. If people really think that every single job on the planet should be able to support a family we’re in trouble.  

The shortsightedness of being angry that the business owner who spent 30 years building that business, sacrificing everything, working seven days a week,  taking third mortgages on their house to pay the bills and continue to pay those employees shouldn’t enjoy the fruits of their labor at some point and make a little bit of money it’s just unreal.  But no the narrative of bad owner making all the money exploiting the poor is just what gets pushed time and time again.  

We got aggressive with doing outside weddings pretty early, we’re also lucky and we’re in California and can do that. Doing weddings Thursday through Monday at pretty much every one of my locations right now and are booked out through the rest of this year in into next.  Honestly were overwhelmed with demand.  I understand normally this is a “first world problems” kind of situation but when you literally can’t find a work force to execute these event and you have a year worth of massive debt (because you have an owner who prioritized the employees and didn’t furlough, the right and great human decision and bad financial one) it’s a problem.  
We had to refund because of Whitmer.  90% of our business is destination weddings on Lake Michigan and wineries.  Couldn't guarantee the seating, it was a bitter pill to swallow.

It would also be nice if people did their homework prior to going off on emotional rampages. For example, in Montana (the first state to refuse Fed payments), here are some appropriate contextual facts:

*  The Fed benefits do not end until 6/27 (another two full months since the decision).

* A $1,200 incentive bonus to be given once a new job is started (after four weeks on the job).

* When the decision was made, Montana's unemployment rate was 3.8%; the same as pre-pandemic levels.

* The governor's decision followed the recommendation of a bi-partisan advisory commission. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montana-governor-ends-extra-unemployment-payments-citing-worker-shortage-n1266346
I've got a lot of the Corrupt Corporate Media clips I can show you from places all over the United States from last summer that show real people going off on emotional rampages if you would like me to post those as well. 😉

CCM for short 

MoP threads don't allow things like the Media to influence how we are going to discuss things or suddenly prove one person over another. There doesn't have to be a wrong answer here but it is very concerning that they just barely lifted some of the restrictions in certain areas after forcing a lot of folks inside for a year and conditioning an entire country to wear masks outdoors even though that completely is the opposite of what the science shows us. We saw people wearing masks outside in parks, Disney(ABC) is still running commercials with kids wearing masks playing outside, it's shameful. 

So we we won't be putting much stock in anything the CCM is reporting, 

Here we go 
Unfortunately Herb the situation you described in the first half of your diatribe has absolutely no effect on what you describe in your second half. I’ve run and owned Restaurants my entire life, I got there by starting as a buss boy (well actually earlier than that, 14 at McDonald’s) and worked my ### off to work my way up.  Never once did I outsource a job to China, Mexico or 3rd party.  You’re conflating of things just makes for a hyperbolic statement and is disconnected from the reality most businesses owners face. 

We had to refund because of Whitmer.  90% of our business is destination weddings on Lake Michigan and wineries.  Couldn't guarantee the seating, it was a bitter pill to swallow.
Oh we did too from March ‘20 all the way through February of this year.  Was the worst year of my life dealing with all we had to deal with ( I assume you too).  We just got aggressive as a company in February and said enough is enough.  

Users who are viewing this thread