What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This NONSENSE of 23 States refusing money intended to help those who were flushed off the face of the planet with the pandemic. (1 Viewer)

Or perhaps put another way, why should one need a "career" to earn more than subsistence level wages?
I don't care what you call it, but you need to have a skill acquired over time that is worth paying for.  Prove you can be reliable making burritos for 6 months, move up to waiting tables at chili's for a couple years, work your way into bartending, get promoted to manager, etc.

Ok wait....Just so I am clear.  You sent me a link showing me B&J is a very large ice cream company and therefore discredited my assertion that many people only buy B&J when it's on sale?  I'm sorry but I don't think that works.  
sorry, I wasnt arguing with you. Just commenting a different opinion on the perception that people only buy B&J when on sale. Overall, my original comment was based on the discussion earlier around people spending more money for the same/similar product bc it was their friends shop or a local place vs a big box store like walmart. I was using BJ as a company people would pay a premium for b/c they like generally like the company's social stance. Their sales show that (coupon or not) they are a strong premium brand over others in the category. 

overall, ice cream pricing isn't a hill i'm fighting for and dying on. Apologies if I came off that way.

I would say the industry and the end produc t has a lot to say about how the workers are paid. 

yes, you could pay a burrito builder a career wage, if the burritos cost $65K and you needed to finance them. 

But what I think the comparison you are missing is that unlike the line worker at a ford plant, there are thousands of Chipotle (burrito building) locations all over the world, each with their own line staff. 

Ford has one or 2 plants where a single worker is on the line for all the cars (a much higher ticket item I may add) that are sold around the world. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what you call it, but you need to have a skill acquired over time that is worth paying for.  Prove you can be reliable making burritos for 6 months, move up to waiting tables at chili's for a couple years, work your way into bartending, get promoted to manager, etc.
I understand that part, but it's really a deflection back to "get a career, not just a job".  There aren't enough "careers", or "jobs we approve as worthy of supporting a family",  to go around.  Now what?

I understand that part, but it's really a deflection back to "get a career, not just a job".  There aren't enough "careers", or "jobs we approve as worthy of supporting a family",  to go around.  Now what?
What?

It is your premise I don't understand.

I'm not deflecting, get a job or get a career... that ball is in our own court.  Personal choices, personal accountability.

What?

It is your premise I don't understand.

I'm not deflecting, get a job or get a career... that ball is in our own court.  Personal choices, personal accountability.
We're off track a bit by now.  This all started with "those jobs aren't meant to be permanent or support a family, they're meant to be part time for a kid in school, so they don't need decent, family-supporting wages".

We're off track a bit by now.  This all started with "those jobs aren't meant to be permanent or support a family, they're meant to be part time for a kid in school, so they don't need decent, family-supporting wages".
I would rephrase that and describe them as "a place to start", "entry level".  Certainly would never expect them to be family supporting.

I would rephrase that and describe them as "a place to start", "entry level".  Certainly would never expect them to be family supporting.
OK.  And my point is that if you eliminate the jobs that you don't consider worthy, there aren't enough remaining jobs to go around to support all the families.  What should we do?

OK.  And my point is that if you eliminate the jobs that you don't consider worthy, there aren't enough remaining jobs to go around to support all the families.  What should we do?
Are you stating this as fact?  Are there numbers to go with this?

When you say "support families" what does that mean?  What are the basic needs you expect a barista to be able to afford their family?

In my mind, you should also be considering this before having a family.

I know I did.  I know we waited until we were ready.

Rich Conway said:
Not from what I'm seeing.  Some are hard work like painting for $60-$70k a year or others require some trade school and apprenticeship to get into the six digit range.

I didn't realize this thread was still going. In fact there is a thread of similar theme in the FFA done a whole month before this one. The other also focuses on people simply having to go into the office vs stay home. 

I have a lot of posts to read but my feelings haven't changed a lot since I wrote this. 

-Just got back from vacationing in the Carolina Mountains and I have to say some of this was very shocking to see. There were signs that said "take it easy on the staff, we're shorthanded" and some places having the customers do some of the work now vs staff. We saw restaurants that bypassed waitresses now by having you order and then come back to get your food, sort of like a German Festhaus but different, menus have disappeared, eating out was not always a fun task on the road. We should have packed a lot more food. 

In my mind, you should also be considering this before having a family.

I know I did.  I know we waited until we were ready.
:lmao:

You must be kidding. You can't honestly think people are going to weigh their options on every kid entering the World, that's an impossibility and you know it. I think it's great you did plan ahead but c'mon Mat you can't be serious. 

-Just got back from vacationing in the Carolina Mountains and I have to say some of this was very shocking to see. There were signs that said "take it easy on the staff, we're shorthanded" and some places having the customers do some of the work now vs staff. We saw restaurants that bypassed waitresses now by having you order and then come back to get your food, sort of like a German Festhaus but different, menus have disappeared, eating out was not always a fun task on the road. We should have packed a lot more food
This is extremely common in Cali.  Most restaurants are having to self limit capacity and leave whole sections of tables open yet there on a wait due to short staffing.  It’s severely hurting the recovery of these business.  

You must be kidding. You can't honestly think people are going to weigh their options on every kid entering the World, that's an impossibility and you know it. I think it's great you did plan ahead but c'mon Mat you can't be serious. 

You seem to accept that we did it, but then call it an impossibility.  You lost me there.

Would you pay more if it was a local company? Or a friend's business? Or a place that does a lot for the community and is known to treat their employees well?

I think there are plenty of reasons to pay more for the same thing
I do try to as much as possible.  Many smaller businesses cannot compete in pricing, but make it up in customer service. 

But to the liberal elite everyone should have a masters degree.  It gives them more years to indoctrinate. 
Maybe women's studies of other useless degrees.  In my case the indoctrination was in mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials. 

It's only the biggest life event one can have.  If you're single - you should think hard about it.  If you're relying on Medicaid to birth a child, you should really think about your financial capability to raise that child.  Etc.

The first news group (that I've heard anyway) to touch on what I was talking about up thread with the removal of money from our economy come fall.  Cast from 6/24...worth the listen IMO.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444600/marketplace

Go home, economy, you're being weird

The economy is growing, with GDP up 6.4% in the first quarter. But that's cold comfort to the unemployed. The Labor Department says first-time jobless claims are still much higher than pre-pandemic levels. We look into what's going on and sift through some of the more confusing facts. We also examine the concept of the four-day workweek, the challenges businesses face training legions of new employees and whether Congress is poised to regulate Big Tech.
Puts into some context the "sides" are arguing these days and their half truths not focused on the big picture.

Users who are viewing this thread