What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The new Memorial Day movie thread (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
Old thread is archived.

Some of the better ones on Turner Classic Movies. Sunday:

The Devil's Brigade (11am central time)
Kelly's Heroes
The Green Berets
The Great Escape
Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen

Monday doesn't have as many good ones.

Sargeant York (early in the morning)
Flying Leathernecks
Run Silent Run Deep (9pm)
The Enemy Below
Battle of the Bulge

The Enemy Below is just as good as anything on the first list.

Where Eagles Dare is dated and is the original "put your brain on hold" movie.

The ONLY thing that saves it is the twists at the end. 

Kellys Heroes is ridiculous(but fun) and knows not to take itself seriously.

I would add:

The Steel Helmet- low budget but well made Korean War movie about a group of soldiers trapped behind enemy lines

Act of Violence- a film noir and not really a war movie exactly, it’s about a WW2 war hero who finds himself being stalked by one of his fellow POW survivors. 

The Best Years of Our Lives is still the best "war" movie ever made and regardless of the form, one of the best pieces of American art.

Taking Chance.  I want to see this.  

Love watching old war movies since my youth.  The ones listed and many more like Midway, Tora Tora Tora, etc.  Also like Vietnam era movies like Platoon, We Were Soldiers.  

I watched much of Lone Survivor and American Sniper yesterday afternoon.  Unbroken is another good one.  And of course, Saving Private Ryan.

I was just recently retired from active duty when I buried my father a few years ago.  He served in the Navy at the tail end of WWII and during the Korean war.  Another vet and great friend of our family and I folded the flag that covered his coffin and I handed it to my step mom, as another friend and vet played Taps on a lone bugle.  One of the most emotion moments of my life.  

I tear up every memorial day for one reason or another.  I have great respect and love for all those who have served and those that currently serve as well as all of the families that love and support them.  The family also sacrifices during military service... and not just the Gold Star families (God bless them).  All families.  Memorial Day is a special day and I hope we always observe it and remember.  

Buddy

This is a really good movie. A guy in my FF league first pointed me towards it back when it came out. His cousin married Chance's sister.
Buddy of mine who was a Sgt Major at the time had that duty during  Viet Nam. He said it was the worst duty he had the whole time he was in the Army. Said it tore him up emotionally more than anything he has done in his life. He wouldn't  watch the movie because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread