What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Had Covid did u vax? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
No hard science on this but wondering how a vax is better than my immune system.  

Anyone else in the same situation?

Covid kicked in same day I got shot one (note:  not saying I got covid from the shot, just a coincidence).  Still got shot 2 :shrug:

When you are infected and you make a variant that evades an antibody, that variant can go to someone else and evade their antibody too. When people don't vaccinate, the virus has an easier time making variants that are more contagious and dangerous. Vaccines can be engineered on the fly to work against these variants but not everyone has the antibodies to protect against them. 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
No hard science on this but wondering how a vax is better than my immune system.  

Evidence emerging that COVID + Vax gives you insane levels of protection.  Something about stimulating the immune response already in place if I'm remembering right.

I'm guessing eventually the science will say the immunity from the Vax isn't better but there really is no harm getting it anyway. 
Didn't the article you posted (apologies if it wasn't you, but I thought it was) yesterday talk about immunity for those who had been infected then got vaccinated showing higher levels of antibodies than infected then non-vacced? With the vaccine, it's consistent robust antibodies. With the infection, it's hit or miss (which is why some people got infected twice already). 

Which makes wonder if it kind of depends on how severe your infection was, as to how robust your antibodies are and how long they last. 

Didn't the article you posted (apologies if it wasn't you, but I thought it was) yesterday talk about immunity for those who had been infected then got vaccinated showing higher levels of antibodies than infected then non-vacced? With the vaccine, it's consistent robust antibodies. With the infection, it's hit or miss (which is why some people got infected twice already). 

Which makes wonder if it kind of depends on how severe your infection was, as to how robust your antibodies are and how long they last. 
Yes that was what the article said. That's why I said "eventually". The science is constantly evolving and it wouldn't surprise me if it changed again.

Had it and got the vax. 

I do find it interesting that they never asked if I had the virus when I went for the vaccine. You would think that could be valuable info to gather.

Had it and got the vax. 

I do find it interesting that they never asked if I had the virus when I went for the vaccine. You would think that could be valuable info to gather.
Just checked the Covid consent form that was used here In Washington state (and maybe elsewhere too---I don't know)

They do ask this question:

Have you received passive antibody therapy (monoclonal antibodies or convalescent serum) as a treatment for COVID-19 within the last 90 days?

Any of you that had COVID and got the vax had a severe reaction to second shot?  I feel like I have read anecdotes (maybe even on this board's vaccine thread) that getting the vax close to contracting COVID resulted in severe side effects to the vax.

Not all vaccines induce more robust immunity than natural infection, but it appears the mRNA covid vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) do a better job than Mom Nature.

How is that possible? Your immune response is a function of the level of exposure to any pathogen, including viruses. If your exposure is mild, an infection can be contained largely by your innate (nonspecific) immune system, which doesn't involve antibodies at all. Although that's probably good news in terms of your symptoms at the time, you need  to activate adaptive (acquired, specific) immunity to generate antibodies (and memory B/T cells). Upon re-exposure, antibodies are more effective than innate immunity to prevent a second infection, even if the exposure is substantial.

The vaccines deliver mRNA directly to immune cells, which translate the message into SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, the main target of neutralizing antibodies. In general, the mRNA vaccines induce higher levels of anti-spike antibodies than those acquired through natural infection (which operates through trial-and-error, until the optimal target for neutralizing antibodies is found).  While the actual mechanism is a bit more complicated, higher levels of neutralizing antibodies correlate well with durability of immune response.

So, in the absence of knowing the strength of your initial immune response, it makes sense to vaccinate everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Had Covid in April 2020, antibodies likely no longer present when I vaxxed in March. In November (last time I tested prior to vaccinated), was negative for the virus and positive for antibodies.

As it was being published that natural antibodies last a certain amount of time (8 months? I don’t recall exactly) I decided to get the vaccine as soon as I could. Spent approximately 8 nanoseconds pondering.

ETA: Am I missing something?

Son & I had covid in early December. He got his 2nd Pfizer shot3-4 weeks ago. Had shoulder soreness and was really tired for a couple days.

His mom didn't have covid but had the same reaction with her 2nd shot.

I'm due for shot #2 next week. I'm tired anyway so I probably won't notice anything. 

Just checked the Covid consent form that was used here In Washington state (and maybe elsewhere too---I don't know)

They do ask this question:

Have you received passive antibody therapy (monoclonal antibodies or convalescent serum) as a treatment for COVID-19 within the last 90 days?
Yeah, because you aren't supposed to get the vaccine until 90 days after getting antibody therapy. They don't just ask "Have you tested positive for covid at any time?" which is a little surprising to me and I have no idea why they wouldn't.

Maybe it's a privacy thing?

Yeah, because you aren't supposed to get the vaccine until 90 days after getting antibody therapy. They don't just ask "Have you tested positive for covid at any time?" which is a little surprising to me and I have no idea why they wouldn't.

Maybe it's a privacy thing?
Yeah, HIPAA most likely.

identikit said:
Yeah, HIPAA most likely.
Not HIPAA. Vaccine providers are able to obtain your medical history, especially as it relates to contraindications for immunization.

My guess is they just overlooked it, as questions about prior infection and receipt of antibody-based therapies are included on the CDC screening form.

ETA I see @jamny was wondering why there wasn't a separate question about prior covid infection. That question still isn't a HIPAA violation, but likely unhelpful, as there are people who believe they've had it despite never being tested. More importantly, people who've recovered from covid are able to get the vaccine after symptoms resolve and no longer require quarantine.

Had Covid in Feb.  Had my first shot (AZ) a month ago.  Kicked my butt far more than the actual virus did but I would still do it 10/10 times because I just don't see any harm in getting as protected as I can to keep those around me from getting sick.

First vaccine shot.
Covid a week later.
2nd vaccine shot a couple weeks later.

No noticeable reaction to either shot except for a little sore shoulder and tiredness. Covid symptoms for me were like a 24 hr bug. 

Not HIPAA. Vaccine providers are able to obtain your medical history, especially as it relates to contraindications for immunization.

My guess is they just overlooked it, as questions about prior infection and receipt of antibody-based therapies are included on the CDC screening form.

ETA I see @jamny was wondering why there wasn't a separate question about prior covid infection. That question still isn't a HIPAA violation, but likely unhelpful, as there are people who believe they've had it despite never being tested. More importantly, people who've recovered from covid are able to get the vaccine after symptoms resolve and no longer require quarantine.
I don't know, I still think there could be some benefit in asking if you tested positive at some time before getting vaccinated, as this thread asks. Even if just to get a sense of the possible percentage. It could have been an optional question, I would have said yes.

During the study that was conducted on 52,238 employees in the Cleveland Clinic, the clinic says “not a single incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection was observed in previously infected participants with or
without vaccination

I don't know, I still think there could be some benefit in asking if you tested positive at some time before getting vaccinated, as this thread asks. Even if just to get a sense of the possible percentage. It could have been an optional question, I would have said yes.
I don't recall being asked if I had tested positive when I got shot #1 at Walgreens. However I was asked that question at Walmart when I got shot #2. There was no follow up asking when. They did ask about receiving therapies.

Had a sore shoulder from both shots but that was it. Pfizer FWIW.

Had it in November and December. Definitely do not want to go through that again. Was advised by doctor to get vaccinated to be safe, got priority seating on the vaccination schedule (due to other health issues), and got my Moderna shots. I suspect / expect to have to get a booster every year like a flu shot moving forward to combat the 17,412 variations and strains that will be out there eventually. I wonder if you could potentially get a COVID shot and flu shot in the same appointment.

I haven't paid close enough attention . . . have there been reported instances where someone had COVID say a year ago, didn't get vaccinated, and then got one of the mutated strains? On a different note, we know someone that hadn't had COVID, got both shots, weeks/months passed, and then caught it after being vaccinated.

The vaccines are safe, effective and free.  What is the down side of getting vaccinated whether you've been infected or not?

Any of you that had COVID and got the vax had a severe reaction to second shot?  I feel like I have read anecdotes (maybe even on this board's vaccine thread) that getting the vax close to contracting COVID resulted in severe side effects to the vax.
Yes. To both in my case.

I was out of commission in both cases with fever, chills, headache, all of it. All symptoms ended about 12 hours after they started and I was back to 100% normal.

Users who are viewing this thread